Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 25 of 43 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 42 43
A
A
Are you not requesting shared custody?

N
N
Its a tough call, in your case. You are pretty much in a no-win situation.

You should do nothing to help her move in my opinion.
Should you be present?, if you have concerns she will take things/trash things then i would be there and bite your tongue.

Change the locks and garage code as soon as she leaves, most all waywards think they can come and go as they please to the marital home even when they move out.(mine did)

A
A
Don't help her move. Help with the computer if she asks. Plan to do something out of the house on moving day.

L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by apples123
Are you not requesting shared custody?

Yes, we agreed on 50/50 shared custody. It will be difficult to execute completely well because of DS's extensive after school and sports schedule, but that's our primary agreement.

Me-BH, 47
Spouse-WW, 47
Married for 18 years
DS, 11
D-Day #1 - November 1998 (7 months after wedding)
False Recovery, 16 years
D-Day #2 - November 2015
WW filed for D - February 2016
A
A
There is usually not child support if custody is 50-50. Is something special about your situation?

L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by NebDane
Change the locks and garage code as soon as she leaves, most all waywards think they can come and go as they please to the marital home even when they move out.(mine did)

My sister actually volunteered to help move her out using her SUV. I told her to stop it, it's counterproductive. Sister just wants to see me divorce her and end it all... She's sick of her lies. But she's not the one that's in the marriage...

I do plan to change the locks, but I thought about DS after school He will need to have a way to get into the house if I have to work a little late sometimes... Also, some posters suggested using laundry time and other times when she comes back to work Plan A. I don't think WW is the type that will wreck my house or sabotage things, but you never know. She's already betrayed me twice.

Me-BH, 47
Spouse-WW, 47
Married for 18 years
DS, 11
False Recovery, 16 years
D-Day #2 - November 2015
L
OP Offline
L
There is usually not child support if custody is 50-50. Is something special about your situation?

Because I make about 20X her income. Even at 50/50 I have to pay child support. It sucks to live in a Liberal state.

Me-BH, 47
Spouse-WW, 47
Married for 18 years
DS, 11
False Recovery, 16 years
D-Day #2 - November 2015
L
OP Offline
L
Don't help her move. Help with the computer if she asks. Plan to do something out of the house on moving day.

Thanks, I think that is what I will do. Our house is full of our happy pictures, every time I see one it's a trigger of sadness for me. I need to be strong and resilient for DS.

Me-BH, 47
Spouse-WW, 47
Married for 18 years
DS, 11
False Recovery, 16 years
D-Day #2 - November 2015
L
OP Offline
L
Once she moves out, how should I handle our relationship? Should I try to contact her? There will be constant contact due to 50/50 shared custody on DS. But should I talk to her about other things? I don't want to seem like I'm pursuing her or being needy, I want to be strong. What is the "right" level of contact? I want to give her the "space" so she can rationally think about what is happening. I think right now so much of her issues are caught up in anger, embarrassment over Exposure, and fighting for cash and things from me.

Me-BH, 47
Spouse-WW, 47
Married for 18 years
DS, 11
False Recovery, 16 years
D-Day #2 - November 2015
P
P
This morning she expected me to do something unreasonable which I would have just done in the past, to avoid conflict. I responded, no, I think you should do it. She was stunned and a little peeved but she did it anyway.
Telling her what she "should" do is a lovebuster. You can decline to do something you're not enthusiastic about without telling her what she should do.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

P
P
don't want to seem like I'm pursuing her
As long as you are in Plan A, you SHOULD be pursuing her. Women aren't attracted to men who show disinterest.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

S
S
Originally Posted by living_well
Originally Posted by LostOnWestCoast
I really thought about this and I realize this disrespect has saturated our relationship. This morning she expected me to do something unreasonable which I would have just done in the past, to avoid conflict. I responded, no, I think you should do it. She was stunned and a little peeved but she did it anyway. It really felt good to resist the disrespect and her tendency to put me down as a doormat.

Well done, that was a love bank deposit, keep up the good work!
I can't for the life of me see how this could have been love bank deposit.

Saying 'no" to a job you do not want to do is quite within your rights, but it is not a love bank deposit. Telling your wife that she should do the job herself is a lecture, and thus a love buster.

This seems like quite the opposite of a deposit to me.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by Prisca
don't want to seem like I'm pursuing her
As long as you are in Plan A, you SHOULD be pursuing her. Women aren't attracted to men who show disinterest.

What level of pursuit should I be doing? Calling her daily to see how she's doing? Trying to set up dates for us? She's already rejected these overtures during our in-home separation. Once she's out, it'll be that much harder to do.

I'm confused...

WW did enjoy the sporting event that I got for DS this past weekend. However, I can feel she's thinking "I'm just doing this for DS to be happy." She continues to eat out with us. Not sure if this will continue when she moves out. She really stopped cooking for the past couple years, despite working only 15 hours a week, she would say she's tired or "there's nothing to eat at home" and frequently I'd buy food and bring home for dinner. Or she would just warm up frozen entrees for us to eat.

Me-BH, 47
Spouse-WW, 47
Married for 18 years
DS, 11
False Recovery, 16 years
D-Day #2 - November 2015
L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by Prisca
This morning she expected me to do something unreasonable which I would have just done in the past, to avoid conflict. I responded, no, I think you should do it. She was stunned and a little peeved but she did it anyway.
Telling her what she "should" do is a lovebuster. You can decline to do something you're not enthusiastic about without telling her what she should do.

I think we are splicing hairs on semantics here. I didn't actually say, "You should do it." I just said I'm not doing it and walked away. Either way, the end result is the same, because there is only one other person who can do it when I don't do it.

Me-BH, 47
Spouse-WW, 47
Married for 18 years
DS, 11
False Recovery, 16 years
D-Day #2 - November 2015
S
S
What level of pursuit should I be doing? Calling her daily to see how she's doing? Trying to set up dates for us? She's already rejected these overtures during our in-home separation. Once she's out, it'll be that much harder to do.

I'm confused...
What are you confused about?

Why will it be harder to ask her out on dates once you are separated? What makes it harder to ask? And does the fact that she's rejected your overtures so far mean that you should stop asking?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
S
S
I think we are splicing hairs on semantics here. I didn't actually say, "You should do it." I just said I'm not doing it and walked away.
Nobody is splitting hairs. We are just responding to your account of what you said:

I responded, no, I think you should do it.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by SugarCane

Saying 'no" to a job you do not want to do is quite within your rights, but it is not a love bank deposit. Telling your wife that she should do the job herself is a lecture, and thus a love buster.

I think she was being sarcastic? I didn't think it was a LB deposit but I thought it was just so I don't stay a doormat as before and stood my ground. The intent was to make myself more attractive as a man in the long run.

Me-BH, 47
Spouse-WW, 47
Married for 18 years
DS, 11
False Recovery, 16 years
D-Day #2 - November 2015
L
OP Offline
L
What are you confused about?

Why will it be harder to ask her out on dates once you are separated? What makes it harder to ask? And does the fact that she's rejected your overtures so far mean that you should stop asking?

I guess so. I could continue eating out with her as a family, especially after sporting events, etc. I think she likes that.

Me-BH, 47
Spouse-WW, 47
Married for 18 years
DS, 11
False Recovery, 16 years
D-Day #2 - November 2015
M
M
Once she moves out, how should I handle our relationship? Should I try to contact her? There will be constant contact due to 50/50 shared custody on DS. But should I talk to her about other things? I don't want to seem like I'm pursuing her or being needy, I want to be strong. What is the "right" level of contact? I want to give her the "space" so she can rationally think about what is happening. I think right now so much of her issues are caught up in anger, embarrassment over Exposure, and fighting for cash and things from me.

I would be extremely self controlling with your anger and be as pleasant as possible. Don't fight or discuss any cash or property. If she asks about it, just say you want to leave that up to the lawyers and don't want to get involved with all that mess.

Be strong and reach out to her when you can. Don't be needy, but be attractive and inviting. Ask her out for lunch occasionally and focus on being as attractive as possible.

One big mistake that MEN make in these situations is they try to be standoffish, thinking it is attractive. They think this is attractive because that can be attractive to MEN. It is not attractive to women. It comes across as giving her the cold shoulder, which only serves to validate her rationalization that you are mean and controlling. You need to be SMART and strategic and woo her just like you would any woman you are courting.

And I agree you should not help her move. BUT, it is in your best interest to help her set up computers, etc because it gives you good air time with her. But don't help her MOVE because that only looks like you WANT her to move. And you don't want to give that impression.

YEs, you should be there when she moves out to make sure she doesn't take any property. You MUST be as pleasant as possible, so suck it up.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

L
L
Originally Posted by living_well
I really thought about this and I realize this disrespect has saturated our relationship. This morning she expected me to do something unreasonable which I would have just done in the past, to avoid conflict. I responded, no, I think you should do it. She was stunned and a little peeved but she did it anyway. It really felt good to resist the disrespect and her tendency to put me down as a doormat.

Well done, that was a love bank deposit, keep up the good work!

1. Women hate doormats and 2. Conflict avoidance is dishonest.

However, I agree with Prisca, if this was presented as a demand, that wipes out the love bank deposit. I assumed that was presented by Lost as 'that request feels to me to be unreasonable' but on reflection it could have been presented as a demand.

3 adult children
Divorced - he was a serial adulterer
Now remarried, thank you MB
(formerly lied_to_again)
Page 25 of 43 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 42 43

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 522 guests, and 41 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation