Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
I
OP Offline
I
I expressly asked him to stop trying to punish Son. When Son was 14, H pointed out to Son how parents provided everything and had to power to withhold it if Son did not do the things required of him. At the time it freaked Son out. I stepped in at that point and asked H to back off and work on a positive relationship with Son and let me work with him on getting cooperation. This is what we have done and it was working well until Thursday. Why H picked that day to end it, I don't know.

Last edited by Indianaswife; 06/16/16 09:25 AM. Reason: Spelling
S
S
Originally Posted by Indianaswife
I expressly asked him to stop trying to punish Son. When Son was 14, H pointed out to Son how parents provided everything and had to power to withhold it if Son did not do the things required of him. At the time it freaked Son out. I stepped in at that point and asked H to back off and work on a positive relationship with Son and let me work with him on getting cooperation. This is what we have done and it was working well until Thursday. Why H picked that day to end it, I don't know.
Probably because he was never enthusiastic about it. You say that it was working well, but this seems not to have been his perspective. Of course, he should not have gone along with a course of action about which he was unhappy or had misgivings, but (I take it) he did not know about POJA during these years.

The problems is that, today, you should not want to him to continue with this arrangement that you found to be working well, if he was and is unhappy with it. You must not gain your desires at his expense.

The solution is on P 237 of Love Busters:

Originally Posted by Dr Harley, Love Busters P237
In my experience counseling families, I have found that every couple's joint methods of discipline are superior to their independent methods. In other words, couples are wiser in the way they train their children when they agree on a training method. By discussing options and agreeing on a particular approach, they eliminate many of the impulsive and foolish acts of discipline that either of them might be tempted to try individually.
That seems to apply directly to your husband's frustrations that eventually led him to the impulsive and foolish ultimatum that led to your son packing his things and leaving.

Dr Harley goes on to sum up the case that is the focus of that section:

Originally Posted by Dr Harley
Christine wanted Alex to focus more attention on David's good behaviour than on his bad behaviour. She wanted to reward his son far more often than he was punished. And she wanted the punishment to be nonviolent - taking away privileges rather than physical beatings or verbal assaults.

Deep down Alex knew that she was right...protecting Christine had always been his highest priority, and when he realized that punishing David hurt her even more than it hurt their son, he enthusiastically agreed to her plan...Under the Policy of joint Agreement, not only was David speared the traumatic childhood that Alex had suffered, but Christine's love for Alex was restored.
However, unlike David in that example, your son is now an adult, with his own job, paying his own way while he lives with you. In that sense he is not the same sort of "child" that Dr Harley discusses in that chapter. In fact, in the private forum, Dr Harley tells a poster than in his views, boys (and their families) are better off if the boy leaves home very early. Dr Harley himself was on his own at 16, his son Steve at 19, and Steve's son also at 19, and it was the making of them as men. He implies that if they are no trouble living at home, and if they pay they own way while there, there is no need to get them to leave, but if they are troublesome, they need to go. Their bad behaviour causes problems for the marriage, as you can see in your own case.

What I conclude from these various bits of advice is that you two should decide whether you both enthusiastically want your son to live at home for now, and under what conditions. Are you both only enthusiastic if he has a job, pays his way, is not actively rude and helps out a bit? Does he do those things most of the time? Is there anything you can do to ensure that he does those things - such as drawing up a contract? Is it still appropriate to use the discipline methods (more praise than criticism) that you used when he was 14? These are all issues for you to brainstorm.

If your husband wasn't happy with how things were, then you need to respect his view and discuss what to do about it. In both your accounts, it sounds as if you are rather too convinced that you know what is best, and that you insist upon it; and as you know, that won't do, and you can see the results today. Your son is not home, and you are at war with your husband.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
I
OP Offline
I
I don't necessarily know what is best but I do know what doesn't work. I am no longer interested in UA time. It doesn't work. The more time we spend together the worse it gets. Thank you all for your help.

Last edited by Indianaswife; 06/16/16 04:45 PM.
A
A
Everyone seems to take two steps back at first because you are discovering tthe reluctant agreements your spouse made.

The default in this case would be no adults but you living in the house unless you are both in enthusiatic agreement.

S
S
I don't necessarily know what is best but I do know what doesn't work. I am no longer interested in UA time. It doesn't work. The more time we spend together the worse it gets. Thank you all for your help.
How did you get from what I posted, to stating that UA time does not work? Am I missing something?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
E
E

Hi. I have been reading along and I understand why you don't want UA with your H. Dr Harley would say to stop having it until your H can prove that he is safe enough to go out with.

The issue with your son is just one more thing. It seems like this is still just one of a host of issues going on here. It is also OK for you to be unwilling to negotiate with him while he is still Love busting you. Rule one of negotiation is to make it pleasant and safe.

Are you trying to tell us you are giving up?
I am confused as to exactly what you mean but would agree that UA should stop until he can tell you that he will be safe enough to date.

I would also say it is time for a separation on your side because of the abuse going on. Just to be safe:
Can you write Dr. H again yourself? He loves and encourages couples to update him.

BW-3 Kids
Sep:2014
Divorced

"I was not delivered unto this world in defeat, nor does failure course in my veins. I am not a sheep waiting to be prodded by my shepherd. I am a lion and I refuse to talk, to walk, to sleep with the sheep. I will hear not those who weep and complain, for their disease is contagious. Let them join the sheep. The slaughterhouse of failure is not my destiny.
I will persist until I succeed." Og Mandino
A
A
I have asked my husband to withdraw his punishment and apologize, so that things could go back the way they were. Husband does not want to. I want my son to be able to live here in peace. What do you all think?

The above is a selfish demand.

I
OP Offline
I
Why? That is what I would like. It is information about what would make me happy.

M
M
I think it would only be a demand if it rose to the level of "it's this way or else"

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
D
D
Originally Posted by apples123
I have asked my husband to withdraw his punishment and apologize, so that things could go back the way they were. Husband does not want to. I want my son to be able to live here in peace. What do you all think?

"Honey, what you did by taking away son's privileges was independent behavior and hurt me terribly. I would love an apology."

Saying it that way would not be a selfish demand.

How about this:

"I would also appreciate it if you would give son back his privileges of laundry and shower until we can negotiate a plan that we are both in agreement about. If you are willing to do that, I am willing to sit with you on xyz day at xyz time to negotiate a win win solution to your problem of son's lack of responsibility. And I will continue to work with you until an agreement is reached, even if it means discussing it on the radio show or with Dr. Harley."

What do you think about that?

markos #2883444 06/16/16 09:49 PM
A
A
Originally Posted by markos
I think it would only be a demand if it rose to the level of "it's this way or else"

Thats what her previous reply sounded like.

A
A
But wasnt IW behaving independently by insisting son stay on her terms?

We are not talking about a child, but an 18yo man. The son was 14 when the unhappy agreement was made.

A
A
Originally Posted by DidntQuit

"Honey, what you did by taking away son's privileges was independent behavior and hurt me terribly. I would love an apology."

Saying it that way would not be a selfish demand.

How about this:

"I would also appreciate it if you would give son back his privileges of laundry and shower until we can negotiate a plan that we are both in agreement about. If you are willing to do that, I am willing to sit with you on xyz day at xyz time to negotiate a win win solution to your problem of son's lack of responsibility. And I will continue to work with you until an agreement is reached, even if it means discussing it on the radio show or with Dr. Harley."

What do you think about that?

Read : "give me what I want now or I won't work with you."

IJ has already said he is not in agreement with that plan. He was reluctant 4 years ago. He sounds fed up now.

I refer everyone to Kat37's thread and the advice she was given about her husband's support of a disrespectful son.

Last edited by apples123; 06/16/16 09:57 PM.
A
A
"how would you feel about sitting down on xyz day at this time to discuss a plan for dealing with son that we are mutually enthusiastic about?"

M
M
But wasnt IW behaving independently by insisting son stay on her terms?

I'm not seeing where she insisted or behaved independently.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
IJ has already said he is not in agreement with that plan. He was reluctant 4 years ago. He sounds fed up now.

Then he definitely needs to calm down so he can negotiate a solution that is a win for both of them.

It is clear that indianaswife is willing to learn to avoid demands. It is not clear that indianajordan is, though. We need to get the beam out of his eye here before we chastise iw over a possible mote.

markos #2883451 06/16/16 10:44 PM
P
P
I refer everyone to Kat37's thread and the advice she was given about her husband's support of a disrespectful son.
Okay, Kat wasn't told to unilaterally come up with a new way to discipline their son.

Which is what IJ did.

And the kid is 18, not 12 like Kat's son.

This is a different situation, apples. The 18 year doesn't need the discipline that the 12 year old needs. Because IJ didn't like the way they agreed to discipline their son years ago doesn't not give him permission to just up and kick their son out today without talking it over with his wife.

The real problem here is IJ's lack of care for his wife. And he needs to undo the IB he has done by removing the consequences he unilaterally put on on his son and allowing the son to come home if the son wants to. Then IJ and his wife can negotiate how they want their son to live under their roof. Until they agree, the son can come and go as he pleases (they do nothing).

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

markos #2883457 06/17/16 06:17 AM
A
A
***EDIT***

Last edited by Ariel; 06/17/16 06:29 AM.
Prisca #2883458 06/17/16 06:21 AM
A
A
***EDIT***

Last edited by Ariel; 06/17/16 06:29 AM.
A
Administrator
Administrator
A
A warning to all posters not to argue over advice on the thread.

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (whwh747474), 473 guests, and 54 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation