Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
B
Mary writes that she has an issue with angry outburst! It happens quickly! How do I learn to control this?
Radio Clip

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

B
B
The Harleys talk about an article about the effects of angry outburst on marriage! Not only is it�s a major love buster, but its very hard on your health. It effects things like Blood pressure, back pain and many other things in our health.

Radio Clip

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

S
S
Thank you!!

S
S
I am trying to find this anger management tool/meter that Dr. Harley mentioned on the show this week.

Can someone tell me what these meters are called? My keywords are not pulling up anything.

Me: 44 Him: 55
M: 18 years
7Kids(DS14, DD17)
A
A
Galvanic skin response reader. You can find them on amazon.

S
S
Thanks apples123!

No wonder I was striking out. I tried anger management meter, anger management watch, and other combinations.

Me: 44 Him: 55
M: 18 years
7Kids(DS14, DD17)
B
B
David calls in saying whenever he gets overwhelmed or feels disrespected, he has an angry outburst. He wants to learn to control his temper.
Radio Show on Angry Outbursts

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

B
B
David writes following up about anger management. He wonders how to deal with someone who is ruining your experience at a concert? Do ask the person to stop or do should I let them be aware of your feelings
Radio Clip

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

B
B
Radio Clip

Jane in Florida writes what should she do when her husband is in the middle of an angry outburst? An example of an angry outburst is played.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

B
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
"First off, angry outbursts by either spouse prevents recovery. No marital problems can be solved if one spouse has even a very occasional angry outburst. Whatever the anger is related to, it makes a solution impossible."
Here

Originally Posted by Dr.Harley
"I regard angry outbursts as the worst Love Buster. That's because it's not only physically and emotionally dangerous to the other spouse, but it completely eliminates the possibility of marital problem solving. For most couples we try to help, if they can't stop their angry outbursts, nothing else works. They can't follow the Policy of Joint Agreement and they can't follow the Policy of Undivided Attention. Without those two rules in place, there's no hope for a satisfying marriage.

So you must do everything in your power to stop all angry outbursts completely."
From here

Originally Posted by Dr.Harley
"Early on, I came to recognize that angry outbursts are probably the most damaging thing a spouse can do in marriage. I say this in spite of my recognition that infidelity is also a very damaging behavior. But I'm often more optimistic about the recovery of a marriage that has suffered from infidelity than than recovery of a marriage that suffers from angry outbursts. The primary reason that angry outbursts just about eliminate the hope of marital happiness is that even if they are very infrequent, they prevent a couple from solving their problems because the threat always hangs over every conversation. The first guideline for marital negotiation is to make the discussion pleasant and safe, and an angry spouse fails that very first condition, making the rest of it impossible to implement. Angry spouses simply create an environment that makes it impossible to make marital adjustments. That's why I advise couples with multiple problems that include anger to overcome the anger first, and then focus on the rest of the problems later."
Here

Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
"In some cases, I've recommended separation when one spouse doesn't take their angry outbursts seriously. For those who have not experienced physical abuse, they often feel that separation is too extreme. But I know for a fact as a clinical psychologist that angry outbursts are a form of temporary insanity, and most people who have angry outbursts cannot control what they do. In some cases, the very first angry outburst that became physical resulted in permanently injured or even death. The angry spouse has no idea that they would hurt their spouse so badly until it had already happened. Then they are grief-stricken at what took place. Angry outbursts must be completely eliminated in marriage, or the marriage is too dangerous to continue."
From here

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

B
B
Debbie emails the Harleys about a previous show regarding overcoming angry outburst. She is looking for guidance on how to know the difference between healthy anger and abusive anger.
Radio Clip on Angry Outbursts
Segment #2

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

B
B
Johnathan writes he struggles with explosive anger but wants to win his family back.
Radio Clip

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

B
B
Jenny writes she is having a difficult time with angry outbursts, her husband will make disrespectful comments to her and then she will blow up, unless she walks away.
Radio Clip
Segment #2

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

B
B
Stay calm, avoid stress and don't get angry. After talking with Charlie in the last segments the Harleys take a broader look at ways to control anger.

Radio Clip

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 614 guests, and 56 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation