Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 44 of 44 1 2 42 43 44
N
Neak Offline OP
OP Offline
N
[quote]
Originally Posted by LearnedTooLate
[quote=Neak]AJ is doing a Christian counselor program, for general counseling not just marriage. It's a certification not a degree, but boy do they make you work for it!

And look at you, figuring out bright new ways to stay dark. smile Keep it up!

Interesting field Neak.

Does the MC portion adhere to the MB methods?

So as not to T/J this post, if you or AJ could start a topic about it, i feel it would be interesting and stimulating.

LTL[quote]

The marriage portion is not nearly as complete as the MB program. For the most part it doesn't contradict it, either, but nobody else has the triple threat like Dr. H does. However, it's flexible enough that he can do his own outside research. Once he's done, it's up to him which programs he uses.

He's been doing this for a while, in his spare time since of course he has to work, too. We've all learned a lot, even the kids, since some of them have gotten to read to him out of his textbooks when he was driving. By the time he's done, I think the whole family should get certified. grin

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
~ English proverb

Neak's Story
L
L
Originally Posted by Neak
Originally Posted by LearnedTooLate
[quote=Neak]AJ is doing a Christian counselor program, for general counseling not just marriage. It's a certification not a degree, but boy do they make you work for it!

And look at you, figuring out bright new ways to stay dark. smile Keep it up!

Interesting field Neak.

Does the MC portion adhere to the MB methods?

So as not to T/J this post, if you or AJ could start a topic about it, i feel it would be interesting and stimulating.

LTL

The marriage portion is not nearly as complete as the MB program. For the most part it doesn't contradict it, either, but nobody else has the triple threat like Dr. H does. However, it's flexible enough that he can do his own outside research. Once he's done, it's up to him which programs he uses.

He's been doing this for a while, in his spare time since of course he has to work, too. We've all learned a lot, even the kids, since some of them have gotten to read to him out of his textbooks when he was driving. By the time he's done, I think the whole family should get certified. grin

So, does the Certificate Program allow him to independently council clients, or must that be done with a Degreed Professional?

Also, do insurance companies pay for the counseling services to a Certificate holder?

LTL

L
L
By the way, the reasons i ask, is because often times when an individual goes through life changing experiences, i have witnessed a select few choose to follow that passionate experience with assisting others who may be experiencing a similar traumatic episode in their life. In AA, i know of quite o few members who have gone on to earn their DASA, Drug, Alcohol, Substance Abuse certifications, so that they could pass on the experiences they went through to finally be recovered from those obsessive choices.

LTL

N
Neak Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Just bumped across this priceless little blast from the past.

Once upon a time, there was a husband and wife. They loved each other and wanted to do nice things for each other.

One day they were shopping in a store, a Stupor Sentre. As they cruised up and down the produce aisles, the husband, we'll call him CJ, paused to admire a frozen coconut creme pie. All ready to eat, just thaw and serve. Not wanting to spend the $4-5 to purchase it, CJ bravely wiped the drool from his chin and went on, forgetting all about his dreams of white fluffy coconutness.

His wife, we'll call her Sneak, did not forget. The next time Sneak returned to the Stupor Sentre, she decided to reward CJ for his hard work, and purchase the pie to surprise him.

Well, he was surprised before it was all over.

The first several servings went well. CJ had a couple of pieces, and so did Crandpa. After the children went to bed, Sneak went out to get herself a piece. With gentle precision, she carved out a wedge, not too large, not too small. Steady-handed, she transferred it to a plate, mouth watering genteelly. There was still a half-pie remaining.

Sneak frowned with concern as she carried the pie back to the refrigerator. The lid did not snap on, as one would expect for a pie costing more than $4. She splayed her fingers to hold the dish more securely, so as not to drop it while she opened the magnetically latched do.........

SPLAT!!!!!!!!

Who would have thought whipped cream could be so heavy? It did not tumble at all; it simply turned upside-down and dropped like a stone, landing just inside the door of the refrigerator.

Like a white swell of pounding surf, the majority of the whipped cream rolled underneath the vegetable drawer. The custard broke the fall for the crust, which was cracked but relatively intact.

At least until Sneak scooped it up the best she could, and placed it back in the pie tin. All of the custard was still good, and she was even able to salvage a small portion of whipped cream. The shriveled, tufted heap reminded for an odd moment of her brother Lard's early taxidermy effort, "Study Model of a Mouse".

Love is nothing if not sacrificial, so with the barest sigh, Sneak wrapped up the perfect, majestic piece of pie, ready for when CJ asked for it at lunchtime the next day.

She told him what had happened, though not that the "one good piece" remaining was to have been her own.

The next day after lunch, CJ asked for another helping of pie, and duly received and consumed that one piece.

That should have been the end of the story. But no.

After supper, CJ felt a yearning, for just one more piece of that scrum-diddly-umptious coconut cream pie, and asked Sneak if she would bring it to him. She cautioned him, reminding him that the portion that was left, about one third of a pie worth, was substandard.

CJ didn't care. Coconut pie he wanted, and coconut pie he would have.

Words fail. It really is kindest to draw a veil over the next few moments, as Sneak took the pie out of the refrigerator, taking extra care to be mindful of the lid's inability to fasten properly.

A shriek - or was it a bellow? - a snarl, a hiss, and a sobbing moan later, Sneak bent over the now-familiar crust, hoping she would at least be able to salvage enough off the floor for a single piece.

It took some careful molding, but she pulled it off. There was even a single tiny dab of whipped cream, about the size of a soy bean, perched jauntily atop the swirling mass.

As Sneak stared at it with glazed eyes, her sister, Sneaksis, took pity on her. "Here, I'll take that to CJ for you. You look too guilty."

A few minutes later, CJ called Sneak aside. "I certainly was surprised that Sneaksis brought me the pie. That was very nice of her!"

Sneak smiled weakly and said nothing.

Who would have thought an emotional need for coconut cream pie would be so hard to meet?

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
A
AJ_ Offline
A
#1 Yes, we are encouraged to counsel and set up our own business.

#2 Probably not, since it's not a university program.

It's not so much my life experiences as just believing that this is where God is leading me. This is a Christian counseling program, not just secular.

Happily recovered!and Happily Married :0)

Commit your works to the LORD and your plans will be established.
Proverbs 16:3
R
R
That story made me laugh Neak. I don't remember reading that on your thread before.

I hope Sneak bought 2 coconut pies at the shop the next time laugh

Me: FWW/BW - 38 yrs
XH: FBH/WH - 41 yrs
Plan B
DS: 9yrs old (with H)
DD: 20yrs old
Divorced Dec 2014
WXH still living with POSOW

Actions mean EVERYTHING.
Words mean NOTHING.
R
R
So glad AJ God has shown you a path to follow. Sounds like you will be a lot of help to people in need.

Me: FWW/BW - 38 yrs
XH: FBH/WH - 41 yrs
Plan B
DS: 9yrs old (with H)
DD: 20yrs old
Divorced Dec 2014
WXH still living with POSOW

Actions mean EVERYTHING.
Words mean NOTHING.
N
Neak Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Lol, Sneak only bought one pie the next time (she usually alternates between coconut and banana), but discovered a handy little habit. When she started putting the pie and stupid lid back in the box instead of throwing the box away, no more pies took the plunge. That she's willing to admit to.

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
N
Neak Offline OP
OP Offline
N
It makes lots of $LB deposits when AJ puts so much effort into something that will benefit others. smile

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
N
Neak Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I knew I'd missed some updates, but had no idea it had been three years!!!!

AJ and I have been through some rough experiences over the last 4-5 years, though none involving infidelity, and also things that weren't our fault. We've grown closer together as a result, refusing to let any of it drive us apart.

A couple years ago, my DD came on here and did some reading. She was so incensed after reading how one BW was treated that she wrote a truly flaming song from the perspective of the BS. She's a gifted song writer, and it was great!

AJ is in his second year working for our church, and I'll be doing some extra work with him this summer, more than usual. It's pretty exciting, except for Mom, who will have about 3 months of cat duty. He's still proceeding with his Christian counselor certification, when he has time off from work.

Two of our cats have died, so now we only have six. We also lost our beloved Clancy, our pound puppy. He was replaced much faster than we expected by Goose, an adorable terrier/border collie mix in need of a home.

I'm in my third year of doing radio devotionals on our local station, and enjoy every minute. It's not what I ever saw myself doing, but the Lord works in mysterious ways...

About 3 weeks ago, we got a surprise foster placement. It was even more of a surprise since we aren't an official foster home, have never applied to be an official foster home, and would practically have to burn down our house to qualify as an official foster home. (This shouldn't be interpreted to mean I'm ungrateful for our house. It's paid for, and hardly leaks at all. I'd live in something much worse to have it paid for. <3 my house.)

Because the child was someone we knew well, and they badly needed a place, we basically were considered to be a kin placement, even though we aren't blood relatives. So we are now parents of four, not three.

Mr. C is in the military, computers, of course. He's getting ready to go do some extra training in the midwest, in places considerably warmer than here. During his training, he earned the nickname Cakeboy.

Besides writing songs, The Princess is going through her first year of college, planning to become a teacher. Next quarter, she signed up for a cycling class, and was most indignant to find out that she would have to have a bicycle. She had assumed it would involve stationary bikes.

The Dervish. Surprisingly, he still has all his limbs, digits, and other important features. Even more surprisingly, he is now my official EMS buddy. When I took my EMT class to get my certification back for the THIRD time, they hospital offered him the chance to attend the class as a cadet. At 14 then, he was by far their youngest. (He just turned 16.) He had to learn all the same stuff I did, and is shockingly competent for a kid. He may have found his calling.

In the meantime, he and I are currently all that stands between the people of our town and a 30 minute + response time. Mom took the class, too, and is only one written test away from being a First Responder. It may be a step down from a nurse, but she was surprised how much new information she had to learn. We can't wait till she joins us. (HINT HINT MOM)

Neaksis is the acting manager of a retail establishment. They thrust her back into the position just before Thanksgiving, so I worked for her part-time over the holidays. It was such fun, though I'm beginning to wonder if I'm destined to always have family members for bosses. All Christmas...all summer....

For any new people who end up seeing this, we're coming up on 12 years of recovery. This summer we'll celebrate our 21st anniversary, when it could well have ended after only eight years. We're both still so grateful to Dr. Harley, MB, and all our friends on here who made our life and recovery possible.

Love you all! hughughug

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
C
C
Hey Neak! great to hear from you and get the update on the whole family!

N
Neak Offline OP
OP Offline
N
CC! Great to see you! Hope all is well with you and yours, too.

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
T
T
Originally Posted by Neak
Goose, an adorable terrier/border collie mix in need of a home.

Really? That dog is part terrier? I'd find it more credible to if you'd said Goose is half moose.

I'm in my third year of doing radio devotionals on our local station, and enjoy every minute.

And there will be quite a few more "minutes" to come, since she's going through the Bible, from Genesis to Revelation, in 5 minute increments/5 days a week. After 2.25 years, she's already all the way up to the 1st chapter of the book of Exodus.

During his training, he earned the nickname Cakeboy.

I guess the moral here is that, if you're going to be gone to training when it's your birthday, and your mother mails you a cake (which "survived" the trip pretty much the way you'd expect it to have done--if you were a cake at the mercy of the USPS--but you keep it to eat anyway because it's from HOME and it was your birthday cake, for Pete's sake!), you need to be sure it doesn't get hoovered up with the rest of the contraband in a quarters' shakedown. If that doesn't work, you can be glad that it was only cake. There are worse nicknames to have, IMO.

She had assumed it would involve stationary bikes.

Doggone it, Neak! If I'd known that punchline was coming, I would have made an old-lady bathroom run before I read your stupid update!

The Dervish.

Words fail, so I'll borrow (and mutilate) Shakespeare: "Age cannot temper, nor maturity stale, his infinite ingenuity."

Mom took the class, too, and is only one written test away from being a First Responder...We can't wait till she joins us. (HINT HINT MOM)

Well, there goes the faint hope that your not mentioning at all for the last few months meant that you'd given up on it. You'd better nag me back into the gym then so I can strengthen my knees, then, or once I kneel down by a collapsed patient, I'll just have to stay there until somebody can help me back up! How embarrassing...

tl

N
Neak Offline OP
OP Offline
N
If you get stuck, fortunately there will be both an EMT and an EMT cadet handy to assist you.

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
Page 44 of 44 1 2 42 43 44

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,027 guests, and 52 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation