Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
B
OP Offline
B
Yes, SugarCane, this all has to stop. It all sounds so simple. But, is it simple, to undo 37 years of destructive habits? I did send an email to Joyce with the concerns you expressed and H spoke to her as well. We are moving slowly in the right direction. The weekend was good.

Me 56
Husband 63
Married 37 years
7 children, 6 adults, last DS 17
B
OP Offline
B
Did anyone hear our radio show yesterday?

Me 56
Husband 63
Married 37 years
S
S
I heard it. What did you think of it?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by SugarCane

I thought it went well. The Harley's were great.

Me 56
Husband 63
Married 37 years
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Barigirl
Originally Posted by SugarCane

I thought it went well. The Harley's were great.

I would like to hear feedback on it.

Me 56
Husband 63
Married 37 years
B
B
I haven't had a chance to listen yet. What did they say?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
I haven't had a chance to listen yet. What did they say?

Dr. Harley referred to the article about how to deal with a nagging wife, saying I am in stage 2 and that we need to fix things before I get to stage 3. He gave us each an assignment, H to find out how to get back into my good graces, and me, to tell H what is bothering me and ask him to stop.

How do we listen to this broadcast again? It appears that the archives aren't updated with March shows yet.

Me 56
Husband 63
Married 37 years
B
B
Yes they are behind on the archives. As soon as they are updated then your show will be available to listen to.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

B
OP Offline
B
Yes they are behind on the archives. As soon as they are updated then your show will be available to listen to.

The archives have been updated. I would love some feedback.

Me 56
Husband 63
Married 37 years
B
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

B
OP Offline
B

Thank you, BrainHurts. Did you get a chance to listen?

Me 56
Husband 63
Married 37 years
B
B
How's it going? I finally got a chance to listen. Did you get back from your vacation? How did that go? How has POJAing going?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

B
OP Offline
B
How's it going? I finally got a chance to listen. Did you get back from your vacation? How did that go? How has POJAing going?

Not yet back from vacation, 1 week into a 5 week vacation. POJA works great for us on the little things, a bit more difficult on the big issue things. We are/were trying to avoid the big things till post vacation.

My H has been doing super awesome at avoiding LB's since the radio show.

Me 56
Husband 63
Married 37 years
B
OP Offline
B
Hello, I need help.

Things are spiralling downward. I have asked H to stop pushing too fast in wanting to "resolve" all issues. I have asked that we focus only on our marriage until we have full lovebanks and have goodwill toward each other and can then POJA from a position of strength about our issues. I told him that I believe i will be more enthusiastic about things he wants if lovebanks are full.

H said that his lovebank cannot fill because all that is going in is resentment. He says that if he can't do things he wants to do or that he feels are important to him, he only feels resentment.

H says doing nothing in POJA means I win and he loses. I pointed out that for me to go with reluctant agreement also causes resentment. H said that I am doing to him what I complain he does to me...saying me too, I feel the same way...negating his feelings.

H has emailed the Harleys a couple of times since Saturday but hasn't yet received a response.

We are really struggling. i don't know what to do.

Me 56
Husband 63
Married 37 years
P
P
I posted this for your husband, and here it is for you:

Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
There are two kinds of resentment: (1) Resentment due to something one of you DID to the other that was hurtful, and (2) resentment due to something you DIDN'T do for yourself that you would have liked, but would have hurt your spouse. Your husband has the first kind of resentment because you had an affair three months into your marriage. What you did hurt him. You have the second kind of resentment because you now feel obligated to avoid seeing a friend who is a threat to your husband.

I think you would agree with me that the first kind of resentment is the worst, because your husband knows you deliberately hurt him. It's no wonder he's having trouble recovering from the experience. Your poor communication may be partly due to the fact that he is still trying to recover from the shock.

The second kind of resentment, the kind you are experiencing, may be uncomfortable, but life is full of instances where we need to control ourselves for the protection of others. In other words, I'm saying that whatever resentment you may feel about not being able to see your friend is nothing compared to the resentment you would feel if your husband had indulged in an affair.

You may be right about your incompatibility, but from what you've told me so far, what is separating you is not incompatibility, but his emotional withdrawal, which is a different matter entirely. He started out on the right track, wanting to settle all decisions on a mutually agreeable basis. But I think his best intentions are being overwhelmed by the grief he is feeling from your affair a year ago. He probably would have gotten over it by now, but your effort to see another friend from your past is keeping his grief fresh. Why torment your husband with needless pain?

From your husband's perspective, if you cared about his feelings, you wouldn't see your friend. The fact that he has made his wishes clear, and you have wanted to see him anyway, is proof to him that you care more about seeing your friend than you care about your husband. My advice to you is simple: Don't have friends who make your husband uncomfortable. Follow the Policy of Joint Agreement.
Following the Policy of Joint Agreement
When You're VERY Incompatible

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

P
P
H said that his lovebank cannot fill because all that is going in is resentment. He says that if he can't do things he wants to do or that he feels are important to him, he only feels resentment.

H says doing nothing in POJA means I win and he loses. I pointed out that for me to go with reluctant agreement also causes resentment. H said that I am doing to him what I complain he does to me...saying me too, I feel the same way...negating his feelings.
These are demands and disrespectful judgements. Let your husband know that you will be more than happy to negotiate with him, but first he must eliminate the demands and disrespectful judgements. Until he does that, negotiation is not safe for you.

Do not just do what he wants you to do. It will cause a greater resentment on your part than what he is feeling -- the type of resentment that is more damaging to marriages and harder to recover from.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

P
P
The type of resentment your husband is feeling will go away as soon as the two of you find something else to do that you both enjoy.

The type of resentment you would feel if you just give in and do what he wants WILL NEVER GO AWAY. It will harm your marriage for years to come.

The solution to the conflict you are having is to find something else to do on your return trip home, something you would both love to do. It is not true that seeing his cousin is the ONLY THING he would EVER enjoy doing with you. You've got a world of possibilities out there for you to choose from.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Prisca
The type of resentment your husband is feeling will go away as soon as the two of you find something else to do that you both enjoy.

The type of resentment you would feel if you just give in and do what he wants WILL NEVER GO AWAY. It will harm your marriage for years to come.

The solution to the conflict you are having is to find something else to do on your return trip home, something you would both love to do. It is not true that seeing his cousin is the ONLY THING he would EVER enjoy doing with you. You've got a world of possibilities out there for you to choose from.

Thanks Prisca. I hope you are correct. H wanted some alone time and said he wanted to go to a car wash with our car. I told him to go for it. That was 3 hours ago. I am here, at a condo by myself.

He is pretty upset and angry. I am trying to do my assignment from Dr. Harley, tell my H want he is doing that bothers me and asking him to stop. From what he has been saying today, he is not willing to do that. But he also says he is trying to learn. I have no idea what will happen next, if and when he returns.

Me 56
Husband 63
Married 37 years
B
OP Offline
B

These are demands and disrespectful judgements. Let your husband know that you will be more than happy to negotiate with him, but first he must eliminate the demands and disrespectful judgements. Until he does that, negotiation is not safe for you.

Do not just do what he wants you to do. It will cause a greater resentment on your part than what he is feeling -- the type of resentment that is more damaging to marriages and harder to recover from.

I am trying to stay strong. I know I am not supposed to make reluctant agreements. It is really hard.

Me 56
Husband 63
Married 37 years
P
P

Thanks Prisca. I hope you are correct. H wanted some alone time and said he wanted to go to a car wash with our car. I told him to go for it. That was 3 hours ago. I am here, at a condo by myself.

He is pretty upset and angry. I am trying to do my assignment from Dr. Harley, tell my H want he is doing that bothers me and asking him to stop. From what he has been saying today, he is not willing to do that. But he also says he is trying to learn. I have no idea what will happen next, if and when he returns.

When markos and I were on vacation, and he left our condo in anger to disappear for hours, I posted to Dr. Harley:
Dr. Harley,

Do I have to listen to complaints when they are full of lovebusters? We are having a conflict over UA time, and Markos is accusing me of not wanting to spend time with him. He had an AO and made threats over it, telling me he deserves better than me and reminding me of how much I tortured him last year, and made accusations that I'm not willing to work the MB program. He made threats along the lines of "I'm not going to live like this," which to me sounded like "straighten up or I'm leaving you."

It is not true that I do not want to spend time with him. I have thrown myself into UA time, and have enjoyed the time we have together.

He is refusing to talk to me unless I listen to these complaints of his. His tone has been very demanding and harsh all morning, and he refuses to listen to how he has lovebusted me. I'm willing to try to work with him to make UA time better for him, but I don't like the way he is treating me. Do I have to listen to his complaints when he is treating me like this?

Dr. Harley's very simple response:
Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
Prisca:

How is Markos doing with his anger management program? A point we often make is that if angry outbursts are not eliminated from a marriage, no other problems can be solved.

Best wishes,
Willard F. Harley, Jr.

Your marriage is not going to get better until your husband eliminates the demands, disrespect and anger. Negotiation is impossible until those are gone. Other problems cannot be solved until those are gone.

So ... how's he doing on eliminating the lovebusters?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 430 guests, and 65 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation