Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#60359 08/02/98 01:44 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My wife and I have not yet reached our 2nd anniversary. Three weeks ago, she said she needed some time to herself, and went away for a 3-day weekend. She asked me to drive her to the airport, which I gladly did. When she got out of the car, she kissed me and said, "Don't worry, everything will be ok." When I picked her up the following Sunday, she asked for a separation. There were some major changes in our lives as well that I think may be contributing to her desire to leave. We moved from Ohio to Georgia one week after our wedding, bought our first house one year ago, she has moved very quickly up the ladder at her job, and went back to school as well. I am very sorry to say that over the last 6-12 months, I let my "taker" control my actions. For example, I would always ask her if it was ok for me to go out with my friends (about once every week), and always invited her along. I thought that because I was asking, I was being considerate of her feelings. When she answered, "Well, I guess so..." that's all I heard. I didn't hear what she was not saying, which was "What you decide to do is up to you, but I love you and miss you and just want you to come home and keep me company." Things like this are so obvious to me now, that I can't imagine how I ever missed them before, but I did. There are no issues involved here that (in my mind) should lead to ending a marriage; no infidelity (well, I know I never cheated, and I am as sure as anyone ever can be that she has not either), no physical or emotional abuse, etc. There is a collection of little things that she allowed to build up over the last year until she decided that it was just not worth trying anymore. For my part, I never made it easy for her to bring up things that bothered her.
<br>At this point, we are still living in the same house (separate bedrooms), and she says that she wants to remain friends and do things together. She also tells me that she does still love me, but that she has a lot of anger towards me that she needs to work out on her own before we can move on to something more than friends. I asked her if she thought she would ever want us to be more than friends, and she said, "At first, I absolutely did not, but now I don't know." I am holding onto this for dear life, because it tells me there is still a chance, and it tells me that the things I have been doing over the last couple weeks are the right things--I have tried to be the "Giver" again, giving her the things she says she needs, even if it is painful for me because our marriage is much more important than my comfort during this particular time. She is the love of my life and there is nothing that I wouldn't do to save our marriage. Any advice or words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for listening.

#60360 08/02/98 08:52 PM
N
N
Larry, I just finished a reply to Lynn in another section, so I won't go into as much detail. Basically, the best choice is to let her have the space and time she has requested. Two books to check out on this: "When the one you love wants to leave" by Dr. Donald Harvey - very detailed and expanatory, and "Love Must Be Tough" by Dr. James Dobson. - which is more focused. I started with the Dobson book and am now almost finished with the first book I mentioned. Good luck!

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,024 guests, and 59 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation