Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
N
OP Offline
N
I thought it might be nice for us to share some of the things we do when we are feeling low, and need a boost!<p>My favourite is a big bubble bath, with a glass of wine, fine music playing and a book. I'll soak for an hour and come out feeling calm, clean and confident again.<p>
What's yours? C'mon guys!!!<p>[ February 15, 2002: Message edited by: Nina too ]</p>

F
F
I pray often.<BR>I excercise often ( daily)<BR>I try to let go.<BR>I try to "plan to be happy", i.e. what would I like to do?<BR>I read.<BR>I try to stay positive.<BR>It still proves to be a challenge to get sufficient "lift".

A
A
I exercise, read, and frankly lately i have found this site to be a great source of inspiration.<P>Although i must admit, Nina's approach sounds pretty darn good!

E
E
I swipe 10 grand out of the savings, fly to Hollywood and find a REALLY GOOD plastic surgeon!!! [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] "Ok- make these fuller, lift this RIGHT here, tuck that, and TAKE ALL OF THIS off please" :P<P>Oh- that's not what you meant????<P>Well Darn!<P>LOL

N
OP Offline
N
LOL,LOL,LOL Toolateforme!!!<P>Laughter does give the best lift of all! [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>Do you know that if you force yourself to smile, it actually helps (something to do with the smile triggering feel-good hormones).<P>Thanks guys!<P>Any more contributions? C'mon, we might give someone a great day just by sharing.<P>Nina

N
OP Offline
N
Just bumping this up a bit....c'mon you guys, are you tring to tell me that you DON'T do anything to chill out???!!!???

Q
Q
There's a book I love, <I>The Artist's Way</I> by Julia Cameron. In it, she talks of taking yourself on an "artist's date" once a week. It is to rekindle the artist in you. It is wonderful for the soul, and I think it fits into this thread.<P>It is one day a week, as long as possible (from 1/2 hr. to all day) to go to a museum, a thrift shop, a class, the beach, even the bath you mentioned, Nina... the only thing is, you have to do whatever it is ALONE.<P>It is amazing how a day in a museum alone can change your outlook on life!<P>------------------<BR>~Sheryl<P>And we know. We who have seen. ~Pellegrino

L
L
I live in a small Kansas town (350 people) in the country surrounded by agriculture fields. <P>Everynite that I don't have my girls, I go for a walk at dusk. I walk down our main road and it's surrounded by tall trees, through the trees I've seen some absoluty amazing picures in the sky. The dusk sky can reveal some awe inspiring clouds not to mention I can see every star in the sky. Depending on the time of year, I may hear the wheat or sunflower swaying in the breeze. While on these walks I look to the heavans and talk with Him. Sometimes my walks only last 30 minutes and sometimes they stretch into 3 hours.<P>Everytime after finishing a walk, I feel this tremendous weight lifted from my shoulder and if only for a moment I feel peace.<P>------------------<BR>Love, Bill<P>-There are none so blind as those who refuse to see!-<BR>-Stand up and do the right thing, even if your standing alone.-

H
H
You know, I think that I would love to take a bubble bath, and read a novel.<P>I haven't bathed completely alone since I took a business trip six months ago. And the thing I was most excited about doing during the trip was to take bubble baths alone in the hotel.<P>AAHHHHHH<P>Anne

T
T
I take my dogs for a walk around the orchards and pray. I also hang out with friends, play footbal or baseball with their kids. I e-mail to long lost friends and puts a smile on my face when they reply. I also read most of the messages on this board. Today I have some friends coming over to my house and I am going to BBQ some traditional food from my birth country. That would be my boost for today.<P>Tacsi<P>

N
OP Offline
N
Wow, great ideas, sound so good for the soul.<P>Bill, I used to live in the country in Australia, and do EXACTLY what you do. I'd forgotten the peace it could bring. I now live in the crime capital of the world, where sunset walks can be hazardous to your health, but I used to walk every morning, before split-day. I should get into that again.<P>Nyneve, I did a sub-major in Art in college, but haven't bothered much since...food for thought. Do you know though, that I've seen this great jigsaw of about three thousand pieces of Degas' ballet dancers, and I think I'll go buy it. I love Degas, and the whole impressionist period, and I love jigsaws because they are SO absorbing when you need NOT to think. <P>Anne, you go girl!!! Actually I haven't done the bath thing in a while, so I may just take myself off-line tomorrow night and do the same. No tonight, because THIS is relaxing me just now.<P>I like this idea...c'mon guys!!!

N
OP Offline
N
Tacsi I didn't mean to leave you out, you must have posted near the time I was writing....I have a good girlfriend who MAKES me get out. She has the BTDT's as far as this goes, except she was the WS, interesting listening to her. But I go DO THINGS and it makes it better, cos I'm proud that I could get out there. You be proud too!!!<P>Nina

T
T
Thanks Nina! I feel like I am around a bunch of old friends on this board. That alone is uplifting!!! [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>By the way, what is BTDT?<P>Cheers,<BR>Tacsi<P>

E
E
Hi Nina: Most of mine are already posted but here goes.<P>-I work out (very hard) when I am pissed off<BR>-I take a bubble bath with lit candles, classical music and a glass of wine, to just chill and meditate<BR>-I write poetry to express my feelings, I can not say outload<BR>-I go shopping when I am depressed<BR>-clean house to relieve Major stress<BR>-When I am feeling alone, I call a friend I have not spoken to in a while to chat. (sometimes that is my mom)<P>I am sure there is more but those are the main ones.<P>Michelle

N
OP Offline
N
Tacsi BTDT - Been there done that.<P>I like to meditate, too EWS, and before the split, I was going to a great group mediation. I can't go now because I have to stay home with the kids. So now I do it on my own.

L
L
Well at the point when I was REALLY mad at H I took a friend to the mall and spent one thousand dollars on myself that day. We'd been married 15 yrs and I always put kids and H's needs before my own all the time. Look where that got me. It felt REALLY GOOD! But since I cant keep that up on a regular basis- I go to starbucks every day for a venti latte and a piece of lemon cake. I go to two womens Bible studies per week. And I play the Dixie Chicks song over and over- "If I fall youre going down with me!!!" as loud as possible! lifeismessy

E
E
Nina Too:<P>I think self meditation is good. There are some tools I use you may want to try, if you have not. First it is important not to be disturbed. So if you have to meditate after the kids go to bed, so be it.<P>Candles: Lavender cented. (have a book on candles, cents are important)<BR>Music: nothing with words. I just got a Cd of quiet nature. It' great.<BR>Lights out.<BR>Sit up straight(the floor is best, but the tub works too.)<BR>Shut the phone, tv everything else off. <BR>Breath in through your nose, out through your mouth, slowly.<P>It's just the best for the soul!

N
OP Offline
N
Hi Michelle, <P>Yes, I do most of those things, and soul healing is all about why I do it. Since I've been doing it, I have become much more aware of my inner self.<P>I don't play music, however because I find it distracts me, I just have absolute quiet. <P>Three other things I have started doing again, left them alone for a while because it was too hard to concentrate; I sing in a musical theatrical group, I play piano (I have only been playing for six months, but already tackling "Fur Elise" and some Mozart and Bach) and I also play guitar. These things make me feel worthwhile and competent at SOMETHING when this situation has made me feel worthless.<P>I answered your other post, gosh I hope you're taking notes here today!!!<P>Love Jacky

K
K
I play ice hockey.<BR>Learning how to fly an airplane.<BR>Swim.<BR>Sit and watch the stars.<BR>Play with my cat.<BR>Talk to my sons who live with me.<BR>Go to Borders and read.<BR>Watch a game on TV.

Q
Q
ken1113 brought up a very, very valuable asset - Tess, my cat! Oh, how I love to hold her, hear her purr... and before her there was Tabitha and Friskie and Jada... who would lay in my lap and lure me into dreamyland...<P>And there was Bo, and Naomi, and Mandy, my dogs over the last few years... who loved me despite my shortcomings...<P>Animals are such healers!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 370 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms
71,840 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation