Luke 6:46-49 (NLT)
46 “So why do you keep calling me ‘Lord, Lord!’ when you don’t do what I say? 47 I will show you what it’s like when someone comes to me, listens to my teaching, and then follows it. 48 It is like a person building a house who digs deep and lays the foundation on solid rock. When the floodwaters rise and break against that house, it stands firm because it is well built. 49 But anyone who hears and doesn’t obey is like a person who builds a house without a foundation. When the floods sweep down against that house, it will collapse into a heap of ruins.”

Jesus has been speaking to the crowds of people who have followed Him to hear his teachings. Jesus is trying to explain that people are cheating themselves when they claim to be religious, yet they do not follow God by placing their faith in Him. He says those people are like someone who builds a house without a foundation. When troubled times come the house comes crashing down. For those who believe in God, who trust God, who are willing to follow God; they have built a solid foundation. When troubled times come they are able to stand firm. Their lives will not collapse into ruin because they have God as their foundation in life.

Edward Mote was a pastor and a hymn writer. Edward was born on January 21, 1797 and died November 18, 1874. Edward lived a tough life as a child. His parents ran a local pub and often left him to tend to himself. It is fitting that he later worked as a cabinet maker, because he followed Christ into the ministry as a pastor at Rehoboth Baptist Church., where he served for 26 years. As pastor he wrote the hymn “My Hope is Built on Nothing Less”, which contains the refrain “On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand, All other Ground is Sinking Sand.” Edward understood the words spoke by Christ. Christ is a solid rock of faith we can turn to anytime and in any situation. Christ is standing there defending us, taking up for us and keeping our feet firm even when we are about to fall. Those who turn away from God and the hope He has given us through Christ do not have a firm foundation to stand on. It is as if they are in quick stand. The harder they attempt to struggle on their own; the deeper they go into the sand. And if they never call out for help or do not patiently wait on rescue their reliance upon self to struggle free will eventually sink them to the depths of death. Remember these words of Edward Mote as you go through your daily lives:

My hope is built on nothing less Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness. I dare not trust the sweetest frame, But wholly trust in Jesus’ Name. 'On Christ the solid Rock I stand, All other ground is sinking sand; All other ground is sinking sand.' When darkness seems to hide His face, I rest on His unchanging grace. In every high and stormy gale, My anchor holds within the veil. His oath, His covenant, His blood, Support me in the whelming flood. When all around my soul gives way, He then is all my Hope and Stay. When He shall come with trumpet sound, Oh may I then in Him be found. Dressed in His righteousness alone, Faultless to stand before the throne.