Titus 2:1-7 (NLT)
1 As for you, Titus, promote the kind of living that reflects wholesome teaching. 2 Teach the older men to exercise self-control, to be worthy of respect, and to live wisely. They must have sound faith and be filled with love and patience. 3 Similarly, teach the older women to live in a way that honors God. They must not slander others or be heavy drinkers. Instead, they should teach others what is good. 4 These older women must train the younger women to love their husbands and their children, 5 to live wisely and be pure, to work in their homes, to do good, and to be submissive to their husbands. Then they will not bring shame on the word of God. 6 In the same way, encourage the young men to live wisely. 7 And you yourself must be an example to them by doing good works of every kind. Let everything you do reflect the integrity and seriousness of your teaching. 8 Teach the truth so that your teaching can’t be criticized. Then those who oppose us will be ashamed and have nothing bad to say about us.

In these verses from Titus, the apostle Paul encourages believers to promote right teaching. Men and women, old and young are encouraged to live wisely and teach wisdom to others. They should also live lives that are examples for others to follow so no shame can come upon them.

When you open up yourself to God, God uses you in ways you can never expect. Before I went out of town on a business trip I had read some Christian material on how a believer should take the time to listen to others and be good examples to them. Usually when I was out of town I was alone and ate alone. So I went to a place I had been told about called Hamburger Hamlet. They supposedly had some of the best hamburgers in the area. When I went inside the waitress asked if I was alone and I said yes. She said there was a 30 minute wait unless I didn’t mind eating at the bar. I thought I might be one of the few eating and not drinking, but it was better than waiting. As I sat down I noticed a glass that maybe had an inch of beer left in the bottom. As the barkeep wiped up my area he removed the almost finished glass. It probably wasn’t 3 minutes later this man came up angrily protesting his beer was gone. Now remember there was just a small amount left, but he wanted it. The barkeep wanting to calm the man down said, “Listen, I’ll just give you another glass on the house.” I sensed God wanting me to say something to this man. I could tell he was bitter about something in life. So I said, “You sound a little frustrated.” The man surprised me when he started telling me how he had just gotten out of jail and he couldn’t find a job. As I sat there with my meal I continued to talk to the man and asked him where he was staying. He told me his grandmother was letting him live with her that she was a decent church going woman. So I asked him, “What about you, do you go to church?” No not really was the response, being in jail and such I just haven’t had time. So I asked him if he knew if he was going to heaven and his answer was this, “While I was in jail a chaplain came to see me with a bible that he gave me. I knew my grandmother went to church so I figured it couldn’t hurt to listen to this man. He told me how Jesus died for my sins and how I could live eternal life with Jesus in heaven if I would just trust Jesus.” I asked, “Well did you?” He said, “Yes, I got saved, I want to trust Jesus, but life is so hard.” I talked with him about his situation and his difficulties. I talked about the jobs he could possibly look for and that maybe his grandmother knew someone at the church who could help him. The man listened intently and said, “You know, my grandmother said about the same things you did. I think I’ll go home and talk with her some more to see if she can let me talk to someone at the church.” The man got up. He thanked me for talking with him and he said, “God must have placed you here today, because I just needed someone to listen to me.” The man walked away. Still sitting there on the counter was the full glass of beer the barkeep had given him. The man just needed some guidance and someone to listen who cared. His anger wasn’t about the inch of beer he lost, but it was about being frustrated with life and not knowing where to turn. You never know how God can use you if you just make yourself available to be used. And the time I took talking with the man became a blessing to me that I still remember.