Luke 10:17-20 (KJV)
17 And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name. 18 And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.19 Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you. 20 Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven.

Seventy disciples returned from a long journey to proclaim they cast out demons in the name of Jesus. They were excited about what had taken place. Jesus reminded them to rejoice not that the demons were subject to them, but rather they were going to enjoy the eternal life of heaven. Jesus confirmed the preaching of the gospel broke down the kingdom of Satan. In some way it was also a warning to not let pride take hold as it did with Satan.

In Matthew 12:29 Jesus said, �How can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? And then He will spoil his house�. Without the power of Christ it is impossible to struggle against the powers of Satan. Without the salvation of Christ, Satan had free reign over this world. It is through the power of the gospel, which is the good news of God�s merciful salvation in Jesus Christ, that Christians can work feely to do the will of God. Satan, the serpent, caused Adam and Eve to fall to sin. For that God said, �And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.� This was an indication of the struggle that would pursue between Satan and man. Yet we see Jesus telling the disciples that He will give them the power to tread on serpents and scorpions. Through Jesus Satan and his demons lose their power to hold us through sin. No long is it Satan who holds the power to the world, instead it is Christ who reigns.