Proverbs 4:25-27 (NLT)
25 Look straight ahead, and fix your eyes on what lies before you. 26 Mark out a straight path for your feet; stay on the safe path. 27 Don�t get sidetracked; keep your feet from following evil.

What lies before in this proverb is the kingdom of God. We are to fix our eyes upon the Lord and let the Lord be our guide in life. If our eyes are fixed on the Lord then our feet follow a straight and safe path. We should examine where we are in life to ensure we stay on course. We must be consistent in our actions, cautious in what we do, and steadfast in our obedience to the Lord. Wandering away from the Lord only leads to evil, so we should not get sidetracked in our attentions and miss out on what the Lord has to tell us.

Every wise man will conclude that the best way for a man is the way which God has made for him. He that made us knows what he made us for, and he knows by what means we may best arrive at that end. According to divine teaching, as gracious as it is certain, we learn that the way of eternal life is Jesus Christ. Christ himself says, �I am the way, the truth, and the life�; and he that would pursue life after a right fashion must look to Jesus, and must continue looking unto Jesus, not only as the author but as the finisher of his faith. It shall be to him a golden rule of life when he has chosen Christ to be his way, to let his eyes look right on, and his eyelids straight before him. He need not be afraid to contemplate the end of that way, for the end of the way of Christ is life and glory with Christ forever. �It doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.� A friend said to me the other day, �How happy are we to know that whatever happens to us in this life, it is well!� �Yes,� I added, �and to know that if this life ends it is equally well, or better.� Then we joined hands in common joy to think that we were equally ready for life or death, and did not need five minutes� anxiety as to whether it should be the one or the other. Brethren, when you are on the King�s highway, and that way is a perfectly straight one, you may go ahead without fear and sing on the road.
With all my heart I invite any who have never yet begun to live after a right fashion, to take Christ to be the way of life to them; and then I entreat them to let their eyes look straight on, and their eyelids straight before them, and to follow Jesus without giving a glance either to the right hand or to the left till it shall be said of them, even in glory, �These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth.�

[From a sermon by C. H. Spurgeon, number 2058, Eyes Right]