Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 47 of 82 1 2 45 46 47 48 49 81 82
V
V
Originally Posted by wulffpack_girl
You know, the interesting thing is that I don't really see that my H really is overtly doing anything to "destroy" me emotionally. He's simply removed himself from a M where his wife was unfaithful. He's not saying hurtful things. Probably 90% of the time he ignores my attempts at olive branches. It's probably kinder for him to ignore me; at least he is not saying anything negative or cruel, or saying something that gives me false hope. I allow him to have sex with me. He's not forcing me to do anything I don't want to do. I could put a stop to it. I choose not to. The 10% of the time he responds positively to me...well, I have to keep trying, right?

I don't believe he's out to emotionally destroy me. I think he's just trying to protect himself from someone who he sees as a dangerous person: me.

I do far more to emotionally destroy myself than my H does.

neverknewyou, I appreciate your input on my thread. Would you care to share your story with us on the boards? I know you say it depresses you to write about your W, I guess I am curious if you have survived infidelity in your M? Were you a BH? Do you have any experiences you could relate about your own recovery that could help others here? I apologize if I am being too nosy!

I could choose to forgive the OM for his role in all of this, and maybe it makes me less of a person because I choose not to. But I am also choosing not to dwell on him. That's what Mrs_V was referring to with NC - you see, contact can just be one-sided. If I was sitting around, trying to see OM as a "good" person, do you see how that could be detrimental to my personal and marital recovery? OM was not a good person. He did not respect me.

And during my A, I was not a good person either. I had no respect for myself, or my H, or my wedding vows, or the family we had together.

As to self-forgiveness? I think, as GO advised, I'm taking it off my "to-do" list. If my DH forgives me someday, then I hope he will be able to help me forgive myself. If not, then the closest I will ever be able to come is acceptance. Accepting the things I cannot change.

Accepting that I am not the woman I was 2 years ago, but at the same time accepting that I cannot undo the things I did then.

And I realize that nothing I've been doing is working. I've tried a bazillion things, but I can't draw my H back to the M. Kind of to a point where no one really has any new suggestions for things I can do, other than personal recovery. If marital recovery is to happen, the ball's in H's court now.

Thanks, SMM...I'd give my right eye (H would know what I meant with that one!) to have my H's forgiveness and to have him back by my side. I hate to hear your sitch has taken a downward turn - post an update and let us know what's going on, OK? I'll be thinking and praying for you & yours as well. (((SMM)))

Very nice post, WPG!

Me - 30 (FWW)
H - 30 (BH)
DSx2
D-day: 2008
G
G
Thank you, GO...I hope it helps some of the new WS's who come here. I especially think of how many I've seen in just my short time here that come and then disappear, and I wonder what happens to them...do they ever wake up and realize what they are doing? I hope so...but I'm kind of afraid that they probably never do.

Just jumping onto this thread, so I have a lot of catching up to do... but my guess is that some WS really have to hit rock bottom before they "wake up" and truly realize what they are doing. My A lasted over 2 f'n years!!! What the heck is wrong with me?!?!?!? I had to have 2 d-days?!? Like 1 isn't enough???

Depression? Seriously, I must hate myself to my core to do this to my devoted H and children. I knew what I was doing was dead wrong. I tried to end my A countless times. I would even make up lies and excuses to my OM just to break it off gently.. WHAT WAS I THINKING???!

It was a vicious cycle... guilt/remorse, anger, escape... repeat

every time I saw the OM, I felt guilt and remorse afterwards... that should have been enough for me. But no, I would rationalize and justify, in my lame head, a reason that I need to see the OM... then I cycle through anger.. either at my BH, in projection, or at myself.... which would drive me back to "escape mode"... OM

All I know is that depression was a huge factor for me, but it can't be my excuse. I'm done with my lame excuses.

IMHO, WS have to hit rock bottom before they change. Maybe that's why they disappear.. they haven't hit rock bottom. They're depressed and ashamed.. yet they're making excuses and they can't climb out of the pathetic sitch they've created.

Heart-felt thanks to you (GO and WPG) for giving me a much needed perspective. I have a long way to go, but you've helped in huge ways!

FWW - me (41)
BS - (42)
EA turned PA (2+ years)
DD - age 5
DS - age 7
D
D
Originally Posted by itistoughlove
Do waywards have serious depression issues? What are the side effects of the defog on the wayward if they realize how bad they messed up?

Of course. Dr. Harley usually recommends antidepressants if either the unfaithful spouse or the betrayed spouse have difficulty coping with obsessive thinking. Taking antidepressants allows you to respond logically rather than emotionally during a time when your emotions will tell you to do all the wrong things.

I see three things happening for the wayward

1) They stay in waywardness and continue the denial, lies, deceipt. Doesn't this always result in a life that is very unfulfilling.

No. There is some small fraction of waywards who will marry, be in love, and have a mutually-fulfilling relationship for the rest of their lives. This is a very small fraction, but my mother was among that group. However, if they are honest, most of them will say that even though they love the spouse they had an affair with, and wouldn't trade them, if they could go back in time they would not have had the affair. They would have either done things right (get a divorce and THEN begun a relationship), or else would have repaired their marriage rather than seeking an affair. The cost in relationships -- particularly with children and other loved ones -- is too high.

Really the only healthy option for the wayward is #2, hit rock bottom, and then figure out how to better oneself.

Not all hit rock bottom, and I daresay doing so is not "the only healthy option". It's possible for one to go wayward while still having a good relationship with their spouse. In those cases, the wayward discovers he/she is in love with two people. While this is heart-wrenching for both spouses, a couple can simply redouble their efforts to have a better relationship and protect their marriage from that time forward.

Am I wrong on my assumptions? Any thing I am overlooking here?

Yes. And yes. Although waywards follow an extremely similar pattern, their reactions and needs differ.

As I read your threads I feel the pain my WH will feel once and if he comes out of the fog. I almost want to understand you in hopes that when he does return I can be the empathetic and forgiving spouse who understands what he is going through.

Remember that Dr. Harley's advice differs for men vs. women. He's seen many recovered marriage where an unfaithful wife shows little remorse for her affair prior to recovery. He's seen very, very few recovered marriages where an unfaithful husband doesn't show remorse.

If a husband has been unfaithful, expect him to come back with his hat in his hand, penitent and full of expressions of regret before accepting him back. If a wife has been unfaithful, a man should be more occupied with the task of winning his wife back from the other man rather than demanding remorse before recovering.

Double-standards suck, but here at MarriageBuilders we deal with the reality of the way things are. Not the way we wish things were.

Doormat_No_More
(Formerly Barnboy)
Original thread lost in the forum purge of '09.
4 months after D-Day
1 year after D-Day
Two Years Later
Four Years Later
S
S
Originally Posted by grace_88
Thank you, GO...I hope it helps some of the new WS's who come here. �I especially think of how many I've seen in just my short time here that come and then disappear, and I wonder what happens to them...do they ever wake up and realize what they are doing? �I hope so...but I'm kind of afraid that they probably never do.
�

Just jumping onto this thread, so I have a lot of catching up to do... �but my guess is that some WS really have to hit rock bottom before they "wake up" and truly realize what they are doing. � My A lasted over 2 f'n years!!! �What the heck is wrong with me?!?!?!? �I had to have 2 d-days?!? �Like 1 isn't enough??? �
Well that's my W, Grace. And she's still deep in the fog and denial after 2 d-days and counting. For her right now it's D or bust. I've gravitated to WPG's thread bc she is truly remarkable. She has given me a lot of insight into the mind of someone who was wayward as well as someone who has honestly seen the light. I also read her thread with my fingers crossed that maybe one day my WW can make that same transformation WPG has made.�

Depression? �Seriously, I must hate myself to my core to do this to my devoted H and children. �I knew what I was doing was dead wrong. �I tried to end my A countless times. �I would even make up lies and excuses to my OM just to break it off gently.. � WHAT WAS I THINKING???! �

every time I saw the OM, I felt guilt and remorse afterwards... �that should have been enough for me. �But no, I would rationalize and justify, in my lame head, a reason that I need to see the OM... then I cycle through anger.. either at my BH, in projection, or at myself.... which would drive me back to "escape mode"... OM � �
Well I'm on the receiving end of anger by my WW regularly so I get that point.�

All I know is that depression was a huge factor for me, but it can't be my excuse. �I'm done with my lame excuses.
You are inspiring Grace bc you're owning it. You couldn't ask for more.�

IMHO, �WS have to hit rock bottom before they change. �Maybe that's why they disappear.. they haven't hit rock bottom. �They're depressed and ashamed.. yet they're making excuses and they can't climb out of the pathetic sitch they've created.�
Well that must be my W.�

Heart-felt thanks to you (GO and WPG) for giving me a much needed perspective. �I have a long way to go, but you've helped in huge ways! �
I'm no expert Grace but your candor and honesty will serve you very well in your recovery. I wish my W could do the same. You are well on the road to better times.�

W
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by Doormat_No_More
Originally Posted by itistoughlove
I see three things happening for the wayward

1) They stay in waywardness and continue the denial, lies, deceipt. Doesn't this always result in a life that is very unfulfilling.

No. There is some small fraction of waywards who will marry, be in love, and have a mutually-fulfilling relationship for the rest of their lives. This is a very small fraction, but my mother was among that group. However, if they are honest, most of them will say that even though they love the spouse they had an affair with, and wouldn't trade them, if they could go back in time they would not have had the affair. They would have either done things right (get a divorce and THEN begun a relationship), or else would have repaired their marriage rather than seeking an affair. The cost in relationships -- particularly with children and other loved ones -- is too high.

You're correct, there are examples of what we might view as lasting affairages...I guess I am viewing tough's observations through my own eyes. Relationships with APs are dishonest, no matter how you slice it. That dishonesty is then the foundation for a M. My aunt is also in an affairage, which has lasted oh, probably 15 years now. Maybe she is "happy." I'm thinking of me though, and how I realize now that I would never have been happy...not only would the knowledge of what I did to my H and my children begin to gnaw at me, I'd have a new M based on lies and dishonesty...the once AP's and now M partners have to face all the lovebustery things that we'd do to each other. And I'd also think the knowledge of how you came to be together would gnaw at you like a cancer...you'd (or maybe it's just me) would sleep with one eye open wondering if you'd be enough or if he'd cheat on you just like he did the BW he professed to love.

Really the only healthy option for the wayward is #2, hit rock bottom, and then figure out how to better oneself.

Not all hit rock bottom, and I daresay doing so is not "the only healthy option". It's possible for one to go wayward while still having a good relationship with their spouse. In those cases, the wayward discovers he/she is in love with two people. While this is heart-wrenching for both spouses, a couple can simply redouble their efforts to have a better relationship and protect their marriage from that time forward.

I think this would apply in cases where the waywardness is not yet as entrenched - maybe that's not the right word - or maybe in cases where the A is not so entangled yet. Caught earlier on, perhaps. Perhaps the WS doesn't hit "rock bottom," as it were, but in effect breathes a sigh of relief that it could have been so much worse? Again, maybe I'm viewing things through my own blinders of my position, 'cause I am pretty much sitting at rock bottom myself. Nowhere else for me to go but up, with or without my H. Or, I can choose to continue to sit here at rock bottom.

Originally Posted by DoormatNoMore
Remember that Dr. Harley's advice differs for men vs. women. He's seen many recovered marriage where an unfaithful wife shows little remorse for her affair prior to recovery. He's seen very, very few recovered marriages where an unfaithful husband doesn't show remorse.

If a husband has been unfaithful, expect him to come back with his hat in his hand, penitent and full of expressions of regret before accepting him back. If a wife has been unfaithful, a man should be more occupied with the task of winning his wife back from the other man rather than demanding remorse before recovering.

I've read that, and I see it in many of the posters here. Again, my thoughts are colored by my own experience as well as the things I've noticed on the thread - I've seen several WW's come here since I joined the forums who are blatantly unremorseful and they tend not to hang around very long...if their BH's post, you see that even if they succeed in killing the A, their recovery efforts don't seem to be successful. I am thinking of Andy and TimB specifically over in SAA right now, and of course strugglingaz and InnerStrength that were here recently. And there are other BH's who are coming back here years later.

As a remorseful FWW, I cannot imagine NOT feeling remorse and regret over what I did, regardless of whether my M was recovered or not. Perhaps that eventually comes in time for these unremorseful FWW's? If a WW is "won back" to the M, are there cases where she never feels remorse over what she did? Would a BH be able to accept that lack of remorse?

FWW

"Snow and adolescence are the only problems that disappear if you ignore them long enough." ~ Earl Wilson
S
S
Originally Posted by DoormatNoMore

I've read that, and I see it in many of the posters here. Again, my thoughts are colored by my own experience as well as the things I've noticed on the thread - I've seen several WW's come here since I joined the forums who are blatantly unremorseful and they tend not to hang around very long...if their BH's post, you see that even if they succeed in killing the A, their recovery efforts don't seem to be successful. I am thinking of Andy and TimB specifically over in SAA right now, and of course strugglingaz and InnerStrength that were here recently. And there are other BH's who are coming back here years later.

As a remorseful FWW, I cannot imagine NOT feeling remorse and regret over what I did, regardless of whether my M was recovered or not. Perhaps that eventually comes in time for these unremorseful FWW's? If a WW is "won back" to the M, are there cases where she never feels remorse over what she did? Would a BH be able to accept that lack of remorse?
don't know the answer to that question but i know that i wouldnt be able to accept that. initially? yes. for recovery's sake would be alright if W wasnt remorseful at the outset. but in time? no. couldnt imagine living with someone who basically said i lied, cheated, broke my vows (twice in my case) and now here i am! "i'm back! and i'm not sorry either. deal." it's like someone who kills someone else. years later after they've been rehabilitated, they're out of prison and someone asks what's their take on the crime they committed? "well i served my time. that's it. i want to move on with my life." it's diff from someone who realizes the impact of what they did and professes remorse, regret, sadness, etc.

and i couldnt imagine how that would go over with someone who professes to have a semblance of faith or an iota of moral fiber. my WW is a catechist who just this past year taught S9's 4th grade class the Ten Commandments LOL, all the while denying her A. she's taught a class for the past few years running. and she just became a Eucharistic minister to boot. sacrilege anyone? does any of this even matter? seems like a farce. they'll have to answer to God and their consciences in time. and am i an idiot for hanging around as long as i have, 5 children not withstanding?

N
N
Wulffpack girl, Im a bs. wife is a narcistic person who tends toward the get over it outlook. maybe even a sociopathic personality. She doesn see a little daliance as a big thing. I know I read an obversation where someone thinks that such people are missing out on deeper relationships and the benefits that brings. But, it seems to me that, some people are just not capable of deep connections. I understand that many professional people , successful people are somewhat that way. They are able to advance irregardless of the damage they do to others. Like Many political leaders who can send young people off to die for government aims. Political objectives and somehow feel that the ends justify the means. Im not sure such people can be reached . The old saw , kill them with kindness, only kill the person extending the kindness.

G
G
Ok, feel like an idiot here, but can someone explain how to get the quote boxes in a post? I am having the worst time with it.

Anyway, savemymarr, I'm so sorry for what your going through with your W.. I would like to read your story if it's posted..
and if I can help in any way I will. I am fairly new to this site (so I'm not a "vet"). But I had a very involved A, and my "fog" was extremely thick. I've made foolish mistakes, and I do want to help others avoid them. I feel that I am more committed than ever to my BH. I'm blessed that he's still around.

Best of luck to you!! Also, I agree.. WPG is very helpful! Glad that she is able to help you.

FWW - me (41)
BS - (42)
EA turned PA (2+ years)
DD - age 5
DS - age 7
P
P
Hey grace, you can either hit "quote" to quote the entire post (and then put your cursor below the quote), or you can hit "reply" and copy the parts that you want to quote, highlight it and select "quote" from the menu.

Or you can do it manually:

Ex: (quote)This is what I want to quote.(/quote) Just replace the () with brackets [].

This is what I want to quote.

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
P
P
I've made foolish mistakes, and I do want to help others avoid them. I feel that I am more committed than ever to my BH. I'm blessed that he's still around.
Don't feel bad, it goes both ways. As a BS, I made bunches of mistakes. What's important is that you're willing to do what it takes to help your BH heal. Good for you!

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
G
G
Thanks, pricessmeggy! I do try to embrace technology, but I struggle: ))
Anyway, what if I want to quote a small part of a post but I want it to include the original poster's title?

FWW - me (41)
BS - (42)
EA turned PA (2+ years)
DD - age 5
DS - age 7
H
H
Double-standards suck, but here at MarriageBuilders we deal with the reality of the way things are. Not the way we wish things were.

REALITY sucks.

Some things that people try to brush off as "double standards" are the same damaging misconceptions which destroy marriages and allow infidelity to occur.

Men and women are DIFFERENT. Not better or worse, not superior or inferior... DIFFERENT.

And that difference is a GOOD thing.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
G
G
Originally Posted by savemymarr
Thank you, GO...I hope it helps some of the new WS's who come here. �I especially think of how many I've seen in just my short time here that come and then disappear, and I wonder what happens to them...do they ever wake up and realize what they are doing? �I hope so...but I'm kind of afraid that they probably never do.
�

Just jumping onto this thread, so I have a lot of catching up to do... �but my guess is that some WS really have to hit rock bottom before they "wake up" and truly realize what they are doing. � My A lasted over 2 f'n years!!! �What the heck is wrong with me?!?!?!? �I had to have 2 d-days?!? �Like 1 isn't enough??? �
Well that's my W, Grace. And she's still deep in the fog and denial after 2 d-days and counting. For her right now it's D or bust. I've gravitated to WPG's thread bc she is truly remarkable. She has given me a lot of insight into the mind of someone who was wayward as well as someone who has honestly seen the light. I also read her thread with my fingers crossed that maybe one day my WW can make that same transformation WPG has made.�

Depression? �Seriously, I must hate myself to my core to do this to my devoted H and children. �I knew what I was doing was dead wrong. �I tried to end my A countless times. �I would even make up lies and excuses to my OM just to break it off gently.. � WHAT WAS I THINKING???! �

every time I saw the OM, I felt guilt and remorse afterwards... �that should have been enough for me. �But no, I would rationalize and justify, in my lame head, a reason that I need to see the OM... then I cycle through anger.. either at my BH, in projection, or at myself.... which would drive me back to "escape mode"... OM � �
Well I'm on the receiving end of anger by my WW regularly so I get that point.�

All I know is that depression was a huge factor for me, but it can't be my excuse. �I'm done with my lame excuses.
You are inspiring Grace bc you're owning it. You couldn't ask for more.�

IMHO, �WS have to hit rock bottom before they change. �Maybe that's why they disappear.. they haven't hit rock bottom. �They're depressed and ashamed.. yet they're making excuses and they can't climb out of the pathetic sitch they've created.�
Well that must be my W.�

Heart-felt thanks to you (GO and WPG) for giving me a much needed perspective. �I have a long way to go, but you've helped in huge ways! �
I'm no expert Grace but your candor and honesty will serve you very well in your recovery. I wish my W could do the same. You are well on the road to better times.�

FWW - me (41)
BS - (42)
EA turned PA (2+ years)
DD - age 5
DS - age 7
W
OP Offline
W
and i couldnt imagine how that would go over with someone who professes to have a semblance of faith or an iota of moral fiber. my WW is a catechist who just this past year taught S9's 4th grade class the Ten Commandments LOL, all the while denying her A. she's taught a class for the past few years running. and she just became a Eucharistic minister to boot. sacrilege anyone? does any of this even matter? seems like a farce. they'll have to answer to God and their consciences in time. and am i an idiot for hanging around as long as i have, 5 children not withstanding?

It doesn't matter if someone professes to be religious. We're all wired for affairs, if the conditions are met. If you've read GO's story, his A was with a woman he sang with in the church choir. I was going to church, sending my kids to Sunday School, teaching childrens' church, all while committing the sin of adultery.

I'm sorry your WW is still stuck in her fog, SMM. I know I had plenty of moments of lashing out at my DH in anger - AO's were a big LB of mine pre-A - but I also fell into the anger trap post-A. Much of that anger was due to frustration with myself. That doesn't justify it - that illustrates my selfishness and immaturity. I got better at managing my outbursts and other LB's - it takes thought and effort. I hope your WW gets there one day.

Originally Posted by HoldHerHand
Men and women are DIFFERENT. Not better or worse, not superior or inferior... DIFFERENT.

You know, I would probably offend some of my more liberated friends, but ITA.

Little anecdote. In one of the classes I taught we discuss hiring standards for law enforcement/public safety jobs. There's case after case where women have sued a city b/c they could not pass the agility test required in order to be, say, firefighters. One case I talked about in class, a woman sued b/c she could not do one of the tasks required, which was carry a 150-pound dummy in an over-the-shoulder hold down a ladder, and she was denied employment as a firefighter. While I am fond of telling my girls, you can do anything you set your mind to, if someone cannot carry my butt down a ladder from a burning building, I don't care what gender they are, they don't need to be firefighters.

Read some of Emerson Eggerich's books - I think he has a very insightful view of male-female differences in communication and relationships.

I think it was him that cited a study where males and females of varying ages were placed in a room in pairs with their best friends. There were 2 chairs in the room. In each pair, regardless of age, the females would enter the room, and take the chairs and turn them to face each other and would then talk. The males would sit in the chairs shoulder-to-shoulder (i.e., side by side). It relates to some of the EN's as I see it - for example, the value placed on face-to-face coversation and/or shoulder-to-shoulder recreational companionship.

FWW

"Snow and adolescence are the only problems that disappear if you ignore them long enough." ~ Earl Wilson
S
S
Ok, feel like an idiot here, but can someone explain how to get the quote boxes in a post? I am having the worst time with it.

Anyway, savemymarr, I'm so sorry for what your going through with your W.. I would like to read your story if it's posted.. and if I can help in any way I will.
thanks for the offer Grace.

I am fairly new to this site (so I'm not a "vet"). But I had a very involved A, and my "fog" was extremely thick.
really? i will look for your thread. my W's fog is very thick as well right now. she just filed for D from me. we have 5 children, married for 16 y. she says it's bc of all of her frustration w/ our M that she's done it but don't believe that for one second. is BS. totally fog laden here. how thick was it?

I've made foolish mistakes, and I do want to help others avoid them. I feel that I am more committed than ever to my BH. I'm blessed that he's still around.
THAT is why u will succeed: your can do attitude and like i said before, you are owning it.

Best of luck to you!! Also, I agree.. WPG is very helpful! Glad that she is able to help you.
WPG is awesome. She is genuine and a beacon of hope. That is all one could ask for. WPG, remember Broken2009 = Repaired 2011. what's his address? email? tel#?

S
S
It doesn't matter if someone professes to be religious. We're all wired for affairs, if the conditions are met. If you've read GO's story, his A was with a woman he sang with in the church choir. I was going to church, sending my kids to Sunday School, teaching childrens' church, all while committing the sin of adultery.
well that's my W then.

I'm sorry your WW is still stuck in her fog, SMM. I know I had plenty of moments of lashing out at my DH in anger - AO's were a big LB of mine pre-A - but I also fell into the anger trap post-A. Much of that anger was due to frustration with myself. That doesn't justify it - that illustrates my selfishness and immaturity.
you are using the words "selfishness" and "immaturity" in the present tense. that is not who you are now. will not buy that from you. i respect you greatly for what you have done. a lot of people would benefit learning from you. do not sell yourself short. your H is wallowing in his hurt. sooner or later he will wake up. hopefully sooner.

I got better at managing my outbursts and other LB's - it takes thought and effort. I hope your WW gets there one day.
me too. smile i may still be here. i may not.

Little anecdote. In one of the classes I taught we discuss hiring standards for law enforcement/public safety jobs. There's case after case where women have sued a city b/c they could not pass the agility test required in order to be, say, firefighters. One case I talked about in class, a woman sued b/c she could not do one of the tasks required, which was carry a 150-pound dummy in an over-the-shoulder hold down a ladder, and she was denied employment as a firefighter. While I am fond of telling my girls, you can do anything you set your mind to, if someone cannot carry my butt down a ladder from a burning building, I don't care what gender they are, they don't need to be firefighters.

Read some of Emerson Eggerich's books - I think he has a very insightful view of male-female differences in communication and relationships.

I think it was him that cited a study where males and females of varying ages were placed in a room in pairs with their best friends. There were 2 chairs in the room. In each pair, regardless of age, the females would enter the room, and take the chairs and turn them to face each other and would then talk. The males would sit in the chairs shoulder-to-shoulder (i.e., side by side). It relates to some of the EN's as I see it - for example, the value placed on face-to-face coversation and/or shoulder-to-shoulder recreational companionship.
ITA as well. we ARE different. even how we handle ourselves post-A illustrates that. a guy? he will usually say "i eff'd up. forgive me." a woman? more often than not, she will not. there are exceptions like you WPG. most women are not remorseful in the same way. hate to generalize but there is truth to HHH's statement.

H
H

I'm sorry your WW is still stuck in her fog, SMM. I know I had plenty of moments of lashing out at my DH in anger - AO's were a big LB of mine pre-A - but I also fell into the anger trap post-A. Much of that anger was due to frustration with myself. That doesn't justify it - that illustrates my selfishness and immaturity. I got better at managing my outbursts and other LB's - it takes thought and effort. I hope your WW gets there one day.

At first, I thought you said "liberal" friends, and not "liberated."

I was then going to question how "liberally" they educated themselves! >.<

I wish I could remember the name of it, but I read a "feminist" book once that talked about, even emphasized, the biological and physiological differences between men and women. It talked about how women's attention to detail and verbal style made them better fit four our service and information economy.

I like to tell the girls; you can do whatever you want, and still be a girl. grin

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
G
G
really? i will look for your thread. my W's fog is very thick as well right now. she just filed for D from me. we have 5 children, married for 16 y. she says it's bc of all of her frustration w/ our M that she's done it but don't believe that for one second. is BS. totally fog laden here. how thick was it?
SMM, my fog was so thick there were times I just wished my H would disappear. Yes, I know that is HORRIBLE! But I was a coward, and I thought very little of myself. I was convinced that I married the wrong person, and that the OM was my "soul mate"... but I was really just addicted to my destructive behaviors and to the feelings of perceived inflated self-worth that I felt from the OM. I, too, would justify my A (in my mind) by saying that I was frustrated with my M. We had our problems, but I chose the "escape" route. OM was my drug of choice, and I was a complete addict.

Looking back, my OM was a loser and no match for the man that my H is. I don't know what I saw in him...he had admitted to his own previous affirs, he used drugs, got fired from his job, and he was a atheist (I claim to be Christian). So, I risked my M and children to be with someone like that? Yes, my fog was very thick, and I clearly had no self-esteem.

Top it off, I was involved in a year-long bible study on a weekly basis...studying the life of Moses. Pretty ironic and sickening, isn't it??

A combination of things helped me see my wayward ways for what they were... First off, I found this website and the MB program. Does your W know about MB? Is she willing to read SAA or posts on the site?

I also studied alcoholism and the concept of addiction. I even joined a recovery group for addicts (even though my drug was a OM). While knowledge is power, it's not powerful enough to lose an addiction.

So, I started to take my Christian faith seriously and prayed incessantly. I changed churches to one that was more spiritaully nourishing, with daily application and meditation.

I was, and still am, deeply and truly remorseful. I started to be able to see how horrible life would be witout my H and children. The risks of my A finally started outweighing the ill-perceived benefits. I've come to that place.

I still have a long way to go in repairing my M and my self-esteem... and at times, I get a little foggy, but it's typically short-lived. I now have tail lights ahead, so to speak, to navigate me out of the fog.

I am truly hopeful that your W will come out of her fog. She is blessed to have you, and I hope she starts to see that.

FWW - me (41)
BS - (42)
EA turned PA (2+ years)
DD - age 5
DS - age 7
G
G
SMM, you said your W filed for D.. What, if anything, has she tried to do to save your M? Sorry if you've posted this somewhere.. if so, what's the link?

FWW - me (41)
BS - (42)
EA turned PA (2+ years)
DD - age 5
DS - age 7
W
OP Offline
W
Found this gem on one of NewEveryDay's old threads on MB101.

I didn't know where to post it, but I like it and kind of wanted to save it so I reposted it here.

Now if I could just get off the freakin' nail.

Quote:Story: The Old Dog
by Al Turtle on Tue 15 Mar 2005 09:58 AM PST
The Old Dog
As told by Al Turtle

Once apon a time there were two old fellas, sitting on a front porch rocking back and forth. Lyin' on the floor between them was an old dog. Every-so-often as they watched the evening come on, the dog would up and yelp. "Yeeeeoooooooooowwwww!"

One guy says, "Say, is that dog your's?" And the other says, "Yup."

They rock on for a while. The dog goes "Aaaaarrrrrgggghhhhhh!"

"Say, what's the matter with your dog?" says the first guy. And the other says, "He's in pain."

Silence, as they rock some more. Then the dog goes "Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhooooooooowwww!"

"Hey, this dog, what's hurtin' im?" says guy number one. "I think he's layin' on a nail," says the dog's owner.

They rock on for a while as the sun begins to get lower. Finally the dog yelps once more, "Ooooooooooowwwwwwooooowwww!"

"Gosh dammit! I can't stand this. Why n't he get offin that nail?" says the first guy.

"Well.... I guess it just don't hurt him enough yet," is the slow and thoughtful response.

Commentary: This seems to me the story of just about every addictive behavior I can think of. The person complaining is the one who's got to do something. Responsibility rests in the complainer. But we are so often trained as kids to try to fix things for the complaining persons. If you do that, you just make the complainer, the addictive person, more comfortable in their addiction. Now the wise thing to do is to help make their pain more intense. What I sometimes like to do is to get up "out of my chair, walk down off that front porch, climb around under the wood until I find that nail. And then I use a hammer to tap it in further till that dog decides to get up off his nail." As my friend, Bill, often says, "I love hearing about your problem, and I am really looking forward to your solution!"

So, if you are the one in pain, focus on learning your lesson. Learn faster to decrease or shorten that pain. Remember, you'll either have a nice day or learn something. Which is it today?

FWW

Page 47 of 82 1 2 45 46 47 48 49 81 82

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,188 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation