Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 69 of 103 1 2 67 68 69 70 71 102 103
AskMe #2737689 06/21/13 06:05 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Psalm 91:1 (NLT)
1 Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty.

In Matthew Henry�s commentary he states, �It is the character of a true believer that he dwells in the secret place of the Most High; he is at home in God, returns to God, and reposes in him as his rest; he acquaints himself with inward religion, and makes heart-work of the service of God, worships within the veil, and loves to be alone with God, to converse with him in solitude. It is the privilege and comfort of those that do so that they abide under the shadow of the Almighty; he shelters them, and comes between them and every thing that would annoy them, whether storm or sunshine. They shall not only have an admittance, but a residence, under God�s protection; he will be their rest and refuge for ever.�

In his book Mayflower, historian Nathaniel Philbrick recounts the struggle of the Pilgrims during the shaping of early America. Although the first Pilgrims managed to establish a peaceful relationship with the Native Americans, the following generation devolved into bloody warfare. The war, known as King Philip's War, began in 1675 and lasted 14 months.

One conflict between the two groups is notable because of the minimal number of casualties. In March of 1676, a group of Indians numbering as many as 1,500 attacked the village of Rehoboth. Philbrick writes:

As the inhabitants watched from their garrisons, 40 houses, 30 barns, and 2 mills went up in flames. Only one person was killed�a man who believed that as long as he continued reading the Bible, no harm would come to him. Refusing to abandon his home, he was found shot to death in his chair�the Bible still in his hands. [John Beukema, Chambersburg, Pennsylvania; source: Nathaniel Philbrick, Mayflower (Viking, 2006), p. 300-332]

Now some reading the part where one man was found dead after reading his Bible might think there didn�t seem to be any shelter for that man. Yet this man most likely found the greatest shelter of all, eternal life with God and Christ in heaven. You see God shelters us, He strengthens us, and He leads us, but God never promised a perfect life or that we will always be kept from the evils of this world. God does however promise salvation leading to eternal life in heaven when we place our faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. In Christ we find rest that will last an eternity.

AskMe #2738385 06/24/13 05:42 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Matthew 3:13-17 (NLT)
13 Then Jesus went from Galilee to the Jordan River to be baptized by John. 14 But John tried to talk him out of it. �I am the one who needs to be baptized by you,� he said, �so why are you coming to me?�
15 But Jesus said, �It should be done, for we must carry out all that God requires.� So John agreed to baptize him. 16 After his baptism, as Jesus came up out of the water, the heavens were opened and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and settling on him. 17 And a voice from heaven said, �This is my dearly loved Son, who brings me great joy.�

John the Baptist was a relative of Jesus. When their mothers, both pregnant, saw each other it was said John moved in is mother�s womb with joy. Separated by years John became a prophet proclaiming the coming of The Messiah. Here we find Jesus asking to be baptized by John. Baptism was the foretelling of the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus as He was emerged beneath the water and raised to fullness in life. They God�s spirit came down upon Jesus and voice from heaven declared, �This is my dearly loved Son, who brings me great joy.�

God dearly loved His son Jesus who brought Him great joy. Most of us love our children that we would do anything for them. We would protect them, we would shelter them and we would ensure they were safe. John 3:16 tells us, �For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.�

Now remember God loves Jesus dearly, yet God planned for Jesus to die as a sacrifice for our sin. God was willing to let Jesus die a suffering death to save us who are in the world from sin. Now what does that say about God�s love for us? God�s love and desire for a relationship with us is as strong as his love for Jesus. God loves us so much he was willing to let go of the son who brought him great joy so that God could save us from sin and give us eternal life with Him in heaven.

There is no question God in heaven loves us dearly. God wants to have a loving relationship with us. God wants us to draw close to him so he can draw close to us and spent time with us. Jude 1:20-23 says, �20 But you, dear friends, by building yourselves up in your most holy faith and praying in the Holy Spirit, 21 keep yourselves in God�s love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life.� Stay close to God and God will stay close to you for God loves you as deeply as God loved Jesus.

AskMe #2738728 06/25/13 05:49 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Jeremiah 23:24 (NLT)
24 Can anyone hide from me in a secret place? Am I not everywhere in all the heavens and earth?� says the Lord.

There is no art of concealment that can hide anyone�s intentions in their heart from God. God is present everywhere and His eyes are upon Man so God cannot be deceived.

If you were to look at Rembrandt�s painting of The Three Crosses, your attention would be drawn first to the center cross on which Jesus died. Then as you would look at the crowd gathered around the foot of that cross, you�d be impressed by the various facial expressions and actions of the people involved in the awful crime of crucifying the Son of God. Finally, your eyes would drift to the edge of the painting and catch sight of another figure, almost hidden in the shadows. Art critics say this is a representation of Rembrandt himself, for he recognized that by his sins he helped nail Jesus to the cross.

We are all sinful people for The Bible says, �For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.� Yet we pretend to hide those sins. Pride just won�t let us admit we have faults. For instance King David had Bathsheba�s husband killed so he could cover up his act of adultery. David thought his sins were hidden; but God saw it all and knew what was in David�s heart. Even David�s best friend Nathan was aware of the sins David committed and Nathan as a friend confronted David.

When we hide our sins it makes it difficult to heal from them. We need to be able to have friends who can hold us accountable and care enough to tell us when we are wrong. We need to open our hearts to God and listen when He convicts us of our sin. It is then we can confess our sin and let the burdens of the sin be lifted away.

AskMe #2739111 06/26/13 06:32 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Leviticus 19:18 (NIV)
18 Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against anyone among your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the Lord.

We are not to seek revenge for a wrong done to us nor are we to dwell on the trespass and use it against the offender to berate or harass them. We must both forgive and forget the trespass against us, for in the same way we are forgiven of God. We are to love our neighbors are we love ourselves for this is what The Lord desires.

In Portland, Oregon, the homeless gather under the Burnside Bridge. For more than three years, carloads of Christians from Bridgetown Ministries have shown up on Friday nights and ministered to these needy men and women. In addition to providing hot meals, shaves, and haircuts, some of the volunteers wash the homeless people's feet. Tom Krattenmaker, a writer for USA Today, was stunned by the display, calling it "one of the most audacious acts of compassion and humility I have ever witnessed."

This group of society's outcasts had their bare feet immersed in warm water, scrubbed, dried, powdered, and placed in clean socks. One man reported with a smile, "I can't find the words to describe how good that felt."

Krattenmaker commented on the significance of this foot washing: "Washing someone's feet is an act best performed while kneeling. Given the washer's position, and the unpleasant appearance and odor of a homeless person's feet, it's hard to imagine an act more humbling."

In preparation for their outreach, the leader of Bridgetown Ministries offered these words: "When you go out there tonight, I want you to look for Jesus. You might see him in the eyes of a drunk person, a homeless person�we're just out there to love on people." [Tom Krattenmaker, "A Witness to What Faith Can Be," USA Today (12-18-06); submitted by John Beukema, Chambersburg, Pennsylvania]

Can you imagine being homeless and these strangers come in to minister to you in ways that you could not have imagined? You find yourself with a hot meal, a shave and a haircut, and even clean feet with clean socks. Now that is showing love for your fellow mankind to reach out in kindness and do for them what you would wish for if you were in their position.

AskMe #2739587 06/27/13 07:06 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Job 40:1-5 (The Message)
1-2 God then confronted Job directly: �Now what do you have to say for yourself? Are you going to haul me, the Mighty One, into court and press charges?� 3-5 Job answered: �I�m speechless, in awe�words fail me. I should never have opened my mouth! I�ve talked too much, way too much. I�m ready to shut up and listen.�

Throughout the book of Job, Job questioned why God was causing him to suffer. Job�s friends kept questioning Job as to what he did wrong to have God angry at him. But we know from the first book of Job that God was testing Job to show Satan that Job was a man of character. For God had said to Satan about Job, �He is blameless�a man of complete integrity. He fears God and stays away from evil.�

In chapters 38 and 39 God begins to speak to Job and his
friends ask questions �

�Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth? Tell me, if you know so much. Who determined its dimensions and stretched out the surveying line? What supports its foundations, and who laid its cornerstone as the morning stars sang together and all the angels shouted for joy? �Who kept the sea inside its boundaries as it burst from the womb and as I clothed it with clouds and wrapped it in thick darkness? For I locked it behind barred gates, limiting its shores. I said, �This far and no farther will you come. Here your proud waves must stop!� Have you ever commanded the morning to appear and caused the dawn to rise in the east? Have you made daylight spread to the ends of the earth, to bring an end to the night�s wickedness? As the light approaches, the earth takes shape like clay pressed beneath a seal; it is robed in brilliant colors. The light disturbs the wicked and stops the arm that is raised in violence. �Have you explored the springs from which the seas come? Have you explored their depths? Do you know where the gates of death are located? Have you seen the gates of utter gloom? Do you realize the extent of the earth? Tell me about it if you know!

And the questions didn�t stop there, they went on for another chapter and a half. It is at this point one might think, OOPS, I have spoken things about God I did not understand and now God is asking me questions I don�t understand or have an answers to. So Job responds by saying, ��I�m speechless, in awe�words fail me. I should never have opened my mouth! I�ve talked too much, way too much. I�m ready to shut up and listen.�

There is probably none of us who at times have not questioned God, questioned His purpose, or questioned why He might have placed us where we are. We have to remember God created us and God is a loving, merciful and just God who loved this world so much that He sent His only Son Jesus to die for our sins. We need to learn to be like Job and close our mouths and listen to what God is telling us. We are so quick to come to our conclusions and make our own plans that we don�t see God�s big plan for our life. Let us all learn to listen to God by reading His word, fellowshipping with Him in prayer and then remaining silent to wait on an answer instead of making senseless statements and questioning God�s authority.

AskMe #2739860 06/28/13 06:44 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
2 Peter 3:9 (NLT)
9 The Lord isn�t really being slow about his promise, as some people think. No, he is being patient for your sake. He does not want anyone to be destroyed, but wants everyone to repent.

The apostles tells us that God will carry out the promises He has made, maybe not in our perception of time, but in God�s perfect timing. God waits for the right opportunities in our life to bring about repentance and a change of heart; for God�s desire is for all to repent of their sins and accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior that they may be saved.

I walked out of my office one morning, and a guy I had never met was just getting off the elevator. He was about six foot four, at least 250 pounds, and he wore cut-off jeans and a sweatshirt. His body was all tatted up �. We talked down the hall together, and he told me he was going to his first ministry meeting, and he was really nervous.

[I asked], "Nervous? How come you're nervous?"

"Pastor Miles, you always encourage us to do something, so I figured I got to do something. I want to serve the Lord."

Since our church has over a hundred outreach ministries, I asked him, "What's the ministry you're joining?"

"The knitting ministry," he said.

He added, "Well, actually, I don't knit, I crochet."

Here's this huge guy who looks like he could be an NFL tackle, and he's nervous about joining a ministry that makes blankets and hats for hospitalized children.

Curious, I asked him where he learned how to crochet.

"I was in the Hell's Angels for 12 years," he told me. "I learned to crochet in prison. I know it's the one thing I can do for the Lord."

Just then the lady who heads up the knitting ministry walked toward us, said a quick hi to me, then asked the former Hell's Angels, "Are you Jim?" She gave him a big grin and took his hand. I watched them go down the hall together. It may not seem like a unique ability to crochet, but when you package that with his life, the ripple effect can push countless others out of their comfort zone to step up and stand out the way God designed them to. Imagine if Jim was worrying about what others would think about him crocheting for Jesus. [Miles McPherson, God in the Mirror (Baker Books, 2013), pp. 51-51]

In this story we find that God took a 6�4�, 250lb man named Jim who had been in the Hell�s Angels and even served time in prison to become a man who could minister to hospitalized children. God promises a change if we have faith in Jesus Christ and walk along with Him in fellowship. Revelation 21:4 tells us, �And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.� That is God�s promise to us.

AskMe #2740422 07/01/13 05:59 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Ephesians 2:8-10 (NLT)
8 God saved you by his grace when you believed. And you can�t take credit for this; it is a gift from God. 9 Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it. 10 For we are God�s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.

Abraham believed the promises of God and God counted Abraham righteous because of his faith. Similarly when we place our faith in Christ God grants us mercy and grace and makes us righteous in His sight because of the salvation provided by Jesus Christ. God gave us a new chance in life to live free from sin and live out a good life God planned for us long ago. It is a free gift for all who place their faith in Christ.

Albert Tomei is a justice of the New York State Supreme Court. A young defendant was convicted in Judge Tomei�s court of gunning down another person execution style. The murderer had a bad record, was no stranger to the system, and only stared in anger as the jury returned its guilty verdict. The victim�s family had attended every day of the two-week trial. On the day of sentencing, the victim�s mother and grandmother addressed the court. When they spoke, neither addressed the jury. Both spoke directly to the murderer. They both forgave him. "You broke the Golden Rule��loving God with all your heart, soul, and mind. You broke the law��loving your neighbor as yourself. I am your neighbor," the older of the two women told him, "so you have my address. If you want to write, I�ll write you back. I sat in this trial for two weeks, and for the last sixteen months I tried to hate you. But you know what? I could not hate you. I feel sorry for you because you made a wrong choice."
Judge Tomei writes: "For the first time since the trial began, the defendant�s eyes lost their laser
force and appeared to surrender to a life force that only a mother can generate: nurturing, unconditional love. After the grandmother finished, I looked at the defendant. His head was hanging low. There was no more swagger, no more stare. The destructive and evil forces within him collapsed helplessly before this remarkable display of humaneness." In choosing the path of forgiveness, that grandmother unleashed a power that could not be tapped in any other way. And that power was what caused the defendant to hang his head for the first time. [Max Lucado, A Gentle Thunder (Word, 1995)]

God looks at us and sees the sins we have committed, yet God has compassion towards us just as this mother and grandmother did. God has forgiven us and ready to give us a new life. All we need to do is reach out and take the free gift of Salvation He offers through His son Jesus Christ.

If you have never accepted God�s free gift all it requires is a heart that desires Christ. Tell God you are a sinner and want to turn from your sins and that you place your faith and trust in Jesus Christ who died for your sins. Ask Jesus to come into your heart and show you the way to life a life free from sin.

AskMe #2740619 07/02/13 06:01 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
1 John 2:28 (NLT)
28 And now, dear children, remain in fellowship with Christ so that when he returns, you will be full of courage and not shrink back from him in shame.

The apostle writes to those who have placed their faith in Christ. He does so in an endearing way referring to them as dear children. They were to remain in fellowship with Christ so they would not falter in shame.

The quality of your life will be determined by the amount of time you spend alone with God in reading, praying, and planning. [Annie Ortlund, Today's Christian Woman, "Heart to Heart."]

Just as with any relationship it is important to spend time with the person you want to be close to. When we spend time alone with Christ, reading his word, praying honestly with our heart and listening closely -- we are in fellowship with Christ.

I have a friend who drank, fought, cussed and did many other unsavory things. Then he learned about the love of Christ. He learned Christ wanted a different life for him. So he surrendered himself to Christ and asked Christ to help him change. As he learned about Christ�s love for him and how Christ wanted a relationship with him he changed. He gave up the old habits and adopted the habits of his friend Jesus. Romans 12:2 tells us, �And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.� This man had a genuine desire to be like Christ as he grew in his relationship with Christ.

You see as my friend walked with Christ he didn�t want to participate in his old ways any longer. Instead he wanted to be more like his new friend Jesus. He knew being like his friend Jesus there would be no shame in things he did.

AskMe #2740805 07/03/13 05:50 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Romans 8:35-37 (NLT)
35 Can anything ever separate us from Christ�s love? Does it mean he no longer loves us if we have trouble or calamity, or are persecuted, or hungry, or destitute, or in danger, or threatened with death? 36 (As the Scriptures say, �For your sake we are killed every day; we are being slaughtered like sheep.� 37 No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us.

In these verses the apostle emphasizes the great love Christ has for us. Some think because they face troubles, persecution, hunger or other life issues that perhaps Christ does not love them or that God is punishing them � BUT THIS IS NOT TRUE. For these problems are created out of the evil in the world and by the consequences of our own natural sinful desires. Because Christ loved us He died on the cross for our sin and through His death overwhelming victory is ours. God gave His only son Jesus Christ so that we could be free from sin that is how much God loves us.

Picking, choosing, and deciding which sins are trivial and which are the biggies is a completely human tendency. A young man once told me, "It's like a heavenly bank account. As long as I make more deposits than withdrawals, I'm in good shape."

I shared the biblical reality with him: the very first time he made a withdrawal, the account was emptied and closed forever. He thought that was a bit harsh. But I explained that I didn't make the rules; God did. And I shared this truth with him not to depress him, but to make him aware and appreciative of God's mercy.

If you're a believer, your account has been closed, and a new one opened in Christ's name. You're wealthy, but you can't make another deposit or withdrawal. As Christians we just get the benefits of this new account, living off the interest�or, to put it another way, living off the blessing granted us by the blood of Jesus. [David Rich, 7 Biblical Truths You Won't Hear in Church (Harvest House Publishers, 2006), p. 37; as quoted in the April 8 entry of Men of Integrity (March/April 2009)]

In Romans 8:38-39 the apostle goes further to explain God�s great love for us. It says, �For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.�

Believe and know that Christ loves you whoever you are and that Christ desires to have a relationship with you that provides a loving and lasting friendship.

AskMe #2741149 07/05/13 06:17 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Isaiah 12:1-3 (NIV)
12 In that day you will say: �I will praise you, Lord. Although you were angry with me, your anger has turned away and you have comforted me. 2 Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The Lord, the Lord himself, is my strength and my defense; he has become my salvation.�3 With joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation.

The anger of God is much different than man in that God�s anger is righteous, slow to take place and shows displeasure over sin. The people here are praising God; for in their repentance God has once again comforted them from the sin that ensnared them. God is salvation and from His salvation we can trust God and not be afraid; for God lifts us up when we are weak and defends us when we are in need. It is in His salvation provided through Jesus Christ that we can find joy, rest and peace.

Richard Stearns, the president of World Vision, reflected on his visit to a church in Port-au-Prince, Haiti nearly a year after the devastating earthquake. The church's building consisted of a tent made from white tarps and duct tape, pitched in the midst of a sprawling camp for thousands of people still homeless from the earthquake. This is how he describes the church and the lesson he learned in Haiti:

In the front row sat six amputees ranging in age from 6 to 60. They were clapping and smiling as they sang song after song and lifted their prayers to God. The worship was full of hope � [and] with thanksgiving to the Lord.

No one was singing louder or praying more fervently than Demosi Louphine, a 32-year-old unemployed single mother of two. During the earthquake, a collapsed building crushed her right arm and left leg. After four days both limbs had to be amputated.

She was leading the choir, leading prayers, standing on her prosthesis and lifting her one hand high in praise to God .� Following the service, I met Demosi's two daughters, ages eight and ten. The three of them now live in a tent five feet tall and perhaps eight feet wide. Despite losing her job, her home, and two limbs, she is deeply grateful because God spared her life on January 12th last year � "He brought me back like Lazarus, giving me the gift of life," says Demosi � [who] believes she survived the devastating quake for two reasons: to raise her girls and to serve her Lord for a few more years.

It makes no sense to me as an "entitled American" who grouses at the smallest inconveniences�a clogged drain or a slow wi-fi connection in my home. Yet here in this place, many people who had lost everything � expressed nothing but praise.

I find my own sense of charity for people like Demosi inadequate. They have so much more to offer me than I to them. I feel pity and sadness for them, but it is they who might better pity me for the shallowness of my own walk with Christ. [Richard Stearns, "Suffering and Rejoicing in a Haitian Tent Camp," Christianitytoday.com (1-12-11)]

We all need to praise the Lord for what He does in our lives. For no matter what material goods we may have God can bring joy and peace into our lives. Demosi Louphine lost things she owned and her arm and leg and still found joy in the Lord. In the Bible, Paul and Silas sat in a prison yet they were able to pray and sing hymns to God. May we too find that joy and peace in our lives and give praise to God.

AskMe #2741712 07/08/13 06:25 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Psalm 138:1-3 [NLT)
1 I give you thanks, O Lord, with all my heart; I will sing your praises before the gods. 2 I bow before your holy Temple as I worship. I praise your name for your unfailing love and faithfulness; for your promises are backed by all the honor of your name. 3 As soon as I pray, you answer me; you encourage me by giving me strength.

In this Psalm David reflects back on God with thankfulness upon the experiences he had of God�s goodness to him. David not only gives thanks to God, but praises God above all other gods� man created and the tales man created to go with them. For David knows God is the one and only true God, the creator of the universe and creator of man. David praises God for his unfailing love and that God�s promises always come true because of God�s honor. David expresses that as soon as he prays an answer starts to unfold and in the interim God provides him strength to see him through to the answer is revealed.

It is fitting and right to sing of you, to praise you, to thank you, to adore you in all places of your dominion. For you are the ineffable God, inconceivable, invisible, incomprehensible, existing forever and yet ever the same, you and your only-begotten Son and your Holy Spirit. You brought us into being out of nothingness, and when we had fallen, you raised us up again. You have not ceased doing everything to lead us to heaven and to bestow upon us your future kingdom. For all this do we thank you and your only-begotten Son and your Holy Spirit - for all the benefits of which we know and those of which we are ignorant, for those that are manifest to us and those that lie concealed.

We thank you also for this sacrifice, which you are pleased to receive from our hands, even though there stand before you thousands of archangels and myriads of angels, Cherubim and Seraphim, six-winged and many-eyed, borne aloft on their wings who sing, proclaim, cry out, and chant the triumphal hymn:

Holy, holy, holy, Lord of Hosts! Heaven and earth are filled with your glory. Hosanna in the highest! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord. Hosanna in the highest! [John Chrysostom, Christian History, no. 44.]

All the hosts of heaven cry out praises to God, yet God hears our praise and is pleased with us. God takes pleasure in us and finds us precious in His sight. God loves us more than we can imagine and is always waiting to respond to our prayers and God provides us strength to see us through whatever His response might be.

AskMe #2741912 07/09/13 06:46 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
2 Timothy 3:16-17 (NKJV)
16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

The Apostle Paul writing to his beloved friend Timothy tells him that the Bible is inspired by God. In the Greek �inspired by God� can literally mean �God breathed�. Man may have written the words, but the words were spoken through them by God. Then the apostle goes on to give us the purpose of the scriptures; they are for knowing our beliefs, for learning what to disapprove of, for correction of waywardness, and to learn what is righteous.

Karen Bota of the Sentinel Standard on 04/15/2013 wrote an article "Judge imposes fine on self for cell phone mishap�. Here is the article: A Michigan judge handed down an unusual ruling. Judge Raymond Voet has a clearly posted policy in his courtroom that electronic devices causing a disturbance during court sessions will result in the owner being cited with contempt of court. He usually imposes a fine of $25 on top of that.

But on a Friday afternoon in April 2013 he enforced that policy on himself. During the prosecutor's closing argument, the judge's new smartphone, which was in his shirt pocket, loudly requested that Voet give the phone voice commands for voice dialing.

Voet said, "I'm guessing I bumped it. It started talking really loud, saying 'I can't understand you.' My face got as red as a beet." Voet tried to turn it off, but the phone kept talking and creating a disturbance.

Voet added, "I set the bar high, because cell phones are a distraction and there is very serious business going on. The courtroom is a special place in the community, and it needs more respect than that. I tow a tough line, and I got to back it up this afternoon."

At the next recess, Voet held himself in contempt of court, fined himself $25. Later on, Voet said, "Judges are humans. They're not above the rules. I broke the rule and I have to live by it." Voet paid the fine immediately.

So often we are ready to point out the sins of others, but we first need to be willing to take a hard look at ourselves. The Bible tells us, �For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.� We need to apply God�s word to our own lives first and examine our faults and our shortcomings. We need to teach ourselves what is right and what is wrong before we even attempt to try to tell others. For Jesus said, �And why worry about a speck in your friend�s eye when you have a log in your own?� In other words, your issues are usually bigger than what you perceive your friends to be.

AskMe #2742116 07/10/13 06:21 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Proverbs 10:19 (NLT)
19 Too much talk leads to sin. Be sensible and keep your mouth shut.

A straight forward proverb that when one talks too much without thought to their words sinful thoughts can easily slip out. It is therefore the wise man that keeps his mouth bridled, keeps him in check, and suppresses what thoughts he may have that inspire sin.

An article, �Angry Wife Gets Revenge on eBay, published June 22, 2005 by www.foxnews.com discusses the British Radio Shock Jock Tim Shaw who often said many appalling things.

Tim shaw was doing his usual 10 p.m.-to-1 a.m. shift at Birmingham-based Kerrang! 105.2 FM when he told pin-up girl Jodie Marsh on air that he'd be willing to leave his wife and two kids for her.

Unfortunately, his long-suffering wife was listening � and quickly put up his Lotus Esprit Turbo sports car for sale on eBay.

"I need to get rid of this car immediately � ideally in the next 2-3 hours before my cheating [jerk] husband gets home to find it gone and all his belongings in the street," Hayley Shaw wrote on the eBay description page, which as of Wednesday afternoon was still up.

"I am the registered owner and I have the log book. Please only buy if you can pick up tonight," she added.

The auction lasted exactly five minutes and three seconds. The car, estimated to be worth $45,000, sold for 50 pence (90 cents) and was soon driven away by a buyer who wishes to remain anonymous.

"I am sick of him disrespecting this family for the sake of his act," Hayley Shaw told a Birmingham newspaper. "The car is his pride and joy, but the idiot put my name on the log book [registration], so I just sold it. I didn't care about the money. I just wanted to get him back."

The Bible warns us of the danger of being careless with our words and continuing to speak when we should stop. When we let the words of our mouth get out of control, the consequences can harm everyone around us and have devastating consequences on us as well.

Four days after the car was sold, the anonymous buyer left short, simple feedback on Mrs. Shaw�s eBay account: �Thank you, Hayley, the car is excellent. Thank your hubby for me.�

AskMe #2742353 07/11/13 06:12 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
1 Peter 5:10-11 (NLT)
10 In his kindness God called you to share in his eternal glory by means of Christ Jesus. So after you have suffered a little while, he will restore, support, and strengthen you, and he will place you on a firm foundation. 11 All power to him forever! Amen.

From the commentary of Matthew Henry: The apostle begins with a most weighty prayer, which he addresses to God as the God of all grace, the author and finisher of every heavenly gift and quality, acknowledging, on their behalf, that God had already called them to be partakers of that eternal glory, which, being his own, he had promised and settled upon them, through the merit and intercession of Jesus Christ. Observe, What he prays for on their account; not that they might be excused from sufferings, but that their sufferings might be moderate and short, and, after they had suffered awhile, that God would restore them to a settled and peaceable condition, and perfect his work in them�that he would establish them against wavering, either in faith or duty, that he would strengthen those who were weak, and settle them upon Christ the foundation, so firmly that their union with him might be indissoluble and everlasting.

All of us will suffer at times over the course of our life. King David in his psalms often wrote of the suffering he was enduring. However, David always came back to the fact that God would be his redeemer and comforter no matter what happened. David knew whether in life or death God would bring him comfort from his suffering. It is our relationship with God and Christ that is the answer to suffering. Sure we may be able to find our way out of a painful situation, but there can be self-condemnation, fear, loneliness, anxiety and depression that walk along with us in our suffering. This is why a relationship with Christ is so important. The Apostle Paul wrote of his suffering and constantly being tormented by Satan. Paul said, �Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away. Each time he said, �My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.� Then he went on to say, �So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. That�s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong.�

We need to let go of our fears and trust Christ for the resolution to our problems. The resolutions may not always work out the way we desire, but they work out to fulfill God�s plan of making us stronger in life.

My wife and I had a dear Christian friend who recently passed away at age 57. Earlier in her life her teenage son was killed in a car accident as he went to buy her a Christmas present. She mourned his loss and suffered greatly over it, but God gave her strength to go one. She later divorced her physically abusive husband after her son�s death. She lived with her daughter and granddaughter and had an illness the doctors could not find. Before she passed away she told my wife, �Because of Christ at least I know I will either wake up with my son in heaven or with my daughter and granddaughter here on earth.� Even in her suffering Christ had given her comfort.

So the answer to our suffering is a relationship with Christ - A relationship where we can talk to Him about our problems and allow Him to work in us to make us strong when we are weak.

AskMe #2742682 07/12/13 05:47 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Matthew 4:4 (NIV)
4 Jesus answered, �It is written: �Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.

Jesus after fasting for 40 days was tempted by Satan to turn stones into bread. Jesus gave the reply above. Matthew Henry writes: This is observable, that Christ answered and baffled all the temptations of Satan with, It is written. He is himself the eternal Word, and could have produced the mind of God without having recourse to the writings of Moses; but he put honour upon the scripture, and, to set us an example, he appealed to what was written in the law; and he says this to Satan, taking it for granted that he knew well enough what was written. It is possible that those who are the Devil�s children may yet know very well what is written in God�s book; The devils believe and tremble. This method we must take when at any time we are tempted to sin; resist and repel the temptation with, It is written. The Word of God is the sword of the Spirit, the only offensive weapon in all the Christian armoury (Eph. 6:17); and we may say of it as David of Goliath�s sword, None is like that in our spiritual conflicts.

In June of 1992, Jim Davidson and Mike Price climbed Mt. Ranier. On the way down from the summit, the two climbers fell 80 feet through a snow bridge into a glacial crevasse, a pitch-black, ice-walled crack in the massive glaciers that cover Mt. Ranier. Mike Price died.

In his book The Ledge, Jim Davidson tells the story of his miraculous survival and courageous climb out of the crevasse. Throughout the book, Jim reflects back to his childhood and young adult years, describing his relationship with his father.

As early as Jim can remember, his father had shown what some considered an almost reckless confidence in his son. Jim worked for his father painting high, steep-pitched roofs and electrical towers as early as age 12. The work terrified his mother, but Jim's father kept communicating his belief that Jim could accomplish great things if he pressed through adversity and kept going.

As Jim stood, bloodied and bruised, on the two-foot wide snow ledge next to the body of his climbing partner, he heard the voice of his father. The years of inspiration that Jim's father had invested in him flooded back into his mind and washed over him with encouragement.

With minimal gear and no experience in ice climbing at that level, Jim spent the next five hours climbing out, battling fatigue and the crumbling ice and snow that threatened to bury him. Throughout his ordeal, Jim kept recalling the words of his father. Five grueling hours later, thanks to his father's words, Jim climbed out of the crevasse to safety. [Jim Davidson, The Ledge: An Adventure Story of Friendship and Survival on Mount Rainier (Random House Publishing, 2011)]

While Jim was encouraged by his father�s words to survive, Jesus was also encouraged by His Father�s words to endure temptation. This is why reading The Bible and having a relationship with God and Christ is so important. For when we find ourselves in difficult situations, Our Heavenly Father calls out to us, reminding us of His love for us, His wisdom and His promises. Take time to read God�s word written in The Bible and let Christ walk with you in fellowship for He has faced all the temptations and understands what we struggle with.

AskMe #2743543 07/16/13 07:28 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Colossians 2:9-10 (NKJV)
9 For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily; 10 and you are complete in Him, who is the head of all principality and power.

Matthew Henry�s Commentary states, �Under the law, the presence of God dwelt between the cherubim, in a cloud which covered the mercy-seat; but now it dwells in the person of our Redeemer, who partakes of our nature, and is bone of our bone and flesh of our flesh, and has more clearly declared the Father to us.� People believed the Mosaic Law was given to make the complete in righteousness if they could keep all the laws, although they could not. Yet in Christ we are made complete and our sins are reconciled thru Christ with The Father.

On October 19, 2010, a test was conducted at the Institute for Business and Home Safety in Richburg, South Carolina. Researchers constructed two 1,300-square-foot houses inside a $40 million laboratory and then observed how a simulated hurricane would impact the homes.

The first home was built according to conventional standards. The second home included reinforcement straps that connected every level of the building, from the foundation all the way to the roof. Then the researchers turned on giant fans, creating gusts of wind up to 110 miles per hour (equal to a category 3 hurricane). In the first two experiments, which lasted under ten minutes, both homes survived the intense winds. But when they tried a third experiment, turning on the fans for more than ten minutes, the conventional home began to shake and then collapsed. In contrast, the home with the floors and roof reinforced to the foundation sustained only cosmetic damage.

Tim Reingold, an engineer working on the experiment, summarized the results with a pointed question: "The bottom line you have to ask yourself is, which house would you rather be living in?"

So I ask would you rather be living by the law that always seems to fall apart in your life or would you rather have Christ living in you who anchors you firmly in your faith that even when you are weak -- Christ will hold you firm?

AskMe #2744082 07/18/13 06:55 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Psalm 119:7 (NKJV)
7 I will praise You with uprightness of heart, When I learn Your righteous judgments.

Psalm 119 is longer than most other Psalms and is a collection of David�s thoughts towards God. Here we find that David�s desire is to know God�s righteous judgments by having a close fellowship with God. As he press forward to learn, David said he would praise God for the righteous brought into his own life by what God has taught him.

In late 2012 seventy-five year old Marion Shurtleff purchased a Bible in a used book store near her home in San Clemente, California. After making her purchase and returning home, she discovered a couple of folded pages tucked in the middle of the Bible.

The contents of the yellowed notebook sheets contained a child's handwriting that looked familiar. To her amazement, Shurtleff discovered her name at the top of the first page. When she looked closer she realized that she was actually reading a four-page essay she had written as a ten-year-old to earn a merit badge for the Girls Scouts in Covington, Kentucky�more than 2,000 miles from where she had just purchased the Bible.

By her own account, Shurtleff was deeply moved. "I opened the Bible and there was my name," Shurtleff said in a phone interview from her home. "I recognized my handwriting. I was shaking, literally. I was crying."

Although it remains a mystery how the essay ended up in a Bible in a used bookstore half way across the country, one thing is certain. When we look deeply into God's Word we see evidences of our lives, too. In the pages of Scripture we see individuals just like us�people who pursue faith and hope in God, people who also battle depression, doubt, lust, and pride. As we read the biblical stories about Abraham, Ruth, David, Mary, and Peter we also recognize our own life story.

[Greg Asimakoupoulos, Mercer Island, Washington; source: Brian Mains, "Marion Shurtleff makes amazing discovery in used Bible, finds childhood essay she wrote 65 years ago," WCPO Digital (5-28-13)]

Often as I am reading The Bible I will find myself relating to the person I am reading about. There were so many people in The Bible that went through so many difficult situations, heartache, joy, excitement and many other emotions. As you read you can feel yourself drawn towards God to learn what He desires for your life.

Hopefully you are taking time to learn about God�s desires for your life. One desire is that you know His Son Jesus Christ in a close and intimate way. Because Christ was both God and Man; Christ knows our struggles and desires to help up through each one of them. Do you know Christ? If so you know how to live a righteous life, for Christ is leading you to that life.

AskMe #2744328 07/19/13 06:25 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Isaiah 41:10 (NKJV)
10 Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.

The verse above is one of encouragement and hope for the Israelites. For God tells them not to fear or be dismayed for He is with them, will strengthen them, help them and support them with His own hand.

There are people who seem to running on empty in their lives. They are overwhelmed by everyday life and just don�t quite seem to have the strength to carry on. God reminds us and gives us hope in His Word that He will strengthen and help us in our times of need. David wrote in Psalm 118:14, �The Lord is my strength and song, And He has become my salvation.� Isaiah 40:31 says, �But those who wait on the Lord Shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.�

We also need to remember that while God strengthens us - Satan tries to weaken us. The Apostle Peter wrote saying, �Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.� The prophet Amos wrote: Therefore thus says the Lord God: �An adversary shall be all around the land; He shall sap your strength from you, And your palaces shall be plundered.�

God keeps His promises and will provide us strength as we stay close to God. God�s word tells us that if we draw near to Him, He will draw near to us. So remember to stay close to God so you can draw strength from God when you are weak. For in turning our weakness over to God we are made strong.

AskMe #2744867 07/23/13 06:30 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Romans 6:23 (NKJV)
23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

The Apostle here tells us that what sin bought man was death. For in the Garden of Eden were two trees, the tree of the knowledge of good and evil and tree of life. God had forbidden man to take of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, but man did as he desired and took Adam and Eve took of the fruit. The cost for them was they could no longer partake of the tree of life; for to have taken from the tree of life after taking from the tree of knowledge of good and evil would have meant living an eternity in sin. So God removed Adam and Eve from the garden to protect them and placed an angel with a flaming sword near the tree so they could never return. The future consequence of their sin was death. However in Christ Jesus we find eternal life in heaven when we place our faith and trust in Him.

He fell 47 stories, breaking his ribs and right arm, shattering both legs and injuring his spine. He needed 24 units of blood, had a catheter inserted into his brain and underwent at least 14 operations in the 28 days since his Dec. 7 [2007] plunge. He was in a coma for weeks after the horrifying 500-foot fall that killed his brother, but window washer Alcides Moreno is awake, talking and likely to walk again, his doctors said Thursday. "If you're a believer in miracles, this would be one," said Dr. Philip Barie, chief of critical care at New York-Presbyterian Hospital Weill Cornell.

[excerpt -Source: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/window-washer-fell-47-floors-walk-stunned-doctor-article-1.339493#ixzz2ZrkKlTDc]

Adam and Eve fell from their grace in God to a place of sin, death and judgment. They had been walking as the image of God, sinless in their nature, but they fell into the deep trap of sin. Fortunately if you believe in Christ and have your faith and trust in Christ there is another miracle we can believe in. For The Bible tells us in John 3:16, �For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.� Romans 8:1 states, �There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.� 1 Corinthians 15:22 tells us, �For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive.� What a miracle we can have in Christ!

AskMe #2745017 07/24/13 06:27 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Psalm 112:5 (NKJV)
5 A good man deals graciously and lends; He will guide his affairs with discretion.

This versus tells us that if one is to increase their estate they will use prudence in their decisions. It is not through a miracle, but from the wisdom God imparts unto us that correct judgments are made concerning the affairs of life. It is this discretion and wisdom that allows us to gain in prosperity, to save for times ahead. A person may be charitable, but again it is done with discretion that his own funds are put to use wisely.

I once worked in a downtown area. It was common to be walking down the street and a homeless person walk up and ask for money because they were hungry. Instead of immediately saying no, I would ask a question � Would you allow me to buy you a meal? It was a test I used to see if the person really was hungry. For I wanted to help those truly in need, but I didn�t want to give my hard earned money to someone looking for a way to buy alcohol or drugs.

Most of the time when I would ask a person the question they would say they really needed the money. These people failed the test and I would say �I�m sorry. I would be glad to buy you something to eat, but I don�t have money to give away.�

One day I walked outside for lunch and it was a very cold day. A man standing outside our office building shouted the familiar words, �Hey man, can you help me out with some money? I�m hungry.� I looked at the man and returned his question with my question, �Would you allow me to buy you a meal.� His immediate response was, �Yes!� I pointed to several restaurants in area and said, �Which one would you like to go to eat.� He quickly responded, �The Duck Inn, they have a wing special.� He was actually trying to be conservative in his request and had already thought about his plans to eat.

I took the man to the restaurant and at first he didn�t want to go in. He was afraid his appearance would get him kicked out. I told him, �I�m with and you look ok to me. Let�s go in, get you some food you can eat, and sit where you can be warm.� The man followed me in, placed his order and I paid for his meal. I then asked the cashier if the man could sit peacefully and eat and even get a refill of coffee so he could be warm for a bit and the response was - that would not be a problem.

We need to remember to use discretion in the affairs of our life. We need to be responsible with our money and help others who truly need help when we can.

�If you can�t feed a hundred people, then just feed one.� Mother Teresa

Page 69 of 103 1 2 67 68 69 70 71 102 103

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 975 guests, and 53 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy, Ingrid Guerci, Wifey02
71,826 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation