Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#1160858 08/12/04 09:31 AM
R
OP Offline
R
will do and the Lord will always be there for you but i know you know that. it's easy for me to tell you that and yet i'm kind of in a slump myself but i know it's true. let us know what SH says, continued prayers to you, RR

#1160859 08/12/04 10:51 AM
L
L
The appt with SH was 11:30am, it is almost noon now, I still can't reach him. There must be a lot of broken hearts SH needs to help.

S is still sleeping, he is making up the sleep for two nights.

#1160860 08/12/04 04:55 PM
L
L
Talked to SH today. I updated him the situation including the Hep B and OW filing. He said that it maybe OW has Hep which trigging WH to check. But WH just switched Dr. and she is his co-worker's wife. I don't know who to believe. He thought that I should go to Plan B. I am feeling really down after talking to him. I was feeling so good last two days, now realizing that Plan B maybe my only option makking me feel so bad. Now I am in library taking S out to a game place. How I wish things can turn out ok.

But SH told me that I need to talk to him one more time before actually implementing Plan B. He will be out and won't be back till early Sept. I just feel down and sad, this feeling didn't haunt me for more than a month.

Believer, how are you doing?

#1160861 08/12/04 07:08 PM
B
B
lostnhurt - I'm doing very well. WH keeps saying he wants to go to a mediator to settle financial matters. But then he backs out. I'm done with him. He and OW were asked to leave their place. The owner is a Christian and got tired of their escapades.

So now WH is back living with his daughter, and OW is living with her husband. They are pretending that they don't see each other, but I know they do.

Hope things will get better for you real soon.

#1160862 08/13/04 07:46 AM
R
OP Offline
R
so let me see if i understand, SH says that you should go to plan B but wants you to talk to him again before that but he's going to be gone until september? what was SH's advice to do in the mean time?

i'm sorry it wasn't as assuring as it could have been, i did pray for clarity for you and that may still come. remember God answers all the prayers of his children.

just try not to get used to the good times, i know this is hard to hear and hard to do. i can't even say what i would do if i were in the same position. you are doing what you need to do but just step it up a little and not count on anything. still kind of expect the worse, hope for the best. and as always plan A until plan B.

continued prayers to you, RR

#1160863 08/18/04 04:27 PM
L
L
Haven't posted for a while, because I tried not to stay by the computer and stay busy. Since Friday, WH was home everyday until Monday. Monday evening, he came home like 6pm for dinner. THings were like back to normal. Then he acted up again yesterday. I even didn't know when he came home last night, he said he won't come this evening either.

When he was home, he was much better then few months ago, he joked a little bit and rode bike with us, went shopping etc. But now he disappeared again. I felt that he is in a tu-o-war. Just to see which side is stronger. Sister's opinion is to give couple more months. I really don't know what to do. Last night I talked to MIL about his son's liver situation and the Hep B. She told me that he got it when he was 10. But she worried that why he is checked now and the combination of his liver function. I told her that his son constantly disappearing. SHe just was mad and worried. SHe told me to hold on, and to take care of him. I said that I wanted to, but he is not "available".

But I decided to live my life normal no matter WH is here or not. SO S and I rode bike every day for about 6 miles. We made good food. It seems that life is easier without WH and DD. WHat is going on here?

DD's camp will be over Sunday, WH suggested to stay overnight out again when picking up DD. He wanted to stay till Monday.

#1160864 08/18/04 08:32 PM
B
B
Lostnhurt - I still believe that you and WH will be back together again. Sorry you have had to go thru all of this hurt. But have hope.

#1160865 08/19/04 04:48 PM
L
L
Believer, how are you doing?

I am so thankful to GOD that I feel ok almost eveeryday now. Wh still goes out, but it doesn't bother me much anymore, I am moving on with my life. WH claims he comes home everyday now, but not till 3am in the morning, who cares. I also see that his health maybe in risk now, he looks tired all the time. Last night he came 12am. I want to see how long this can last. The most important thing is that IT DOESN"T BOTHER ME ANYMORE.

#1160866 08/19/04 05:13 PM
B
B
Lostnhurt - Good for you! But it might be time for Plan B. Otherwise you might completely lose your love for him.

I'm to the point where I just don't care anymore. My life is much better without WH. I dread when he comes by, because I don't believe a word he says. He could even tell me the truth and I wouldn't believe it.

Hope you are doing good things for yourself. Have you heard anything from OW's husband?

#1160867 08/19/04 05:36 PM
L
L
I don't know about Plan B. I don't see him much anyway, it is like plan B already.

OW's husband said that he did not recieve any paper yet. I don't know how long it will take from filing.

#1160868 08/24/04 08:06 AM
L
L
Just came back from picking up D from camp yesterday. Her camp ended Sunday. We went for stat parks and sand dunes after picking her up and spent a night in a very small town. It was fun and tired. Now back to business, how long can this last?

TOday I have to take the kids out to shop for back to scholl items, their school starts tomorrow.

#1160869 08/24/04 08:21 AM
B
B
lostnhurt -

When your kids go back to school are you going back to work?

Also does OW's H know if she wants custody of their children? That might be interesting.

#1160870 08/24/04 08:23 AM
R
OP Offline
R
i don't know what to suggest to you at this point. i think as long as you are okay w/how you are doing then go w/that. but at least you have a plan B letter to go the minute something changes. let's not forget that the whole business w/your H's health and corralsing might get the best of him and that's what it will take for him to change.

i saw your reply on my other thread and it's so funny because i was going to pull up this thread today and post to you, great minds think alike! continued prayers to you and i'm glad you are in a much better place mentally and emmotionally now than you were a few months ago, RR

#1160871 08/24/04 08:46 AM
L
L
Believer, my school starts after Labor Day. I have no idea what OW wants, if she has the custody of her children, it will be interesting. I hope so. But the children will suffer.

RR, I know that we are sisters, so we think the smae thing smae time.

Last Friday evening, many old friends got together for a party. We didn't get together since WH started his ordeal, maybe all other friends already heard of it and stopped inviting us. It was the first time this year we were together. They probably thought that things were over. Then Sat., he was home whole day, cooking food I liked, lobster. After, son went out movie with his friends, so only two of us stayed together. It felt ok and actually nice.

When we went out last couple days, he was being nice to the kids and me. He actually picked leaves from my hair and made breakfast for me. THe only thing is now, back to business, I have to see what it is like.

#1160872 08/25/04 01:03 PM
L
L
Kids are in school now, but DD will be home very soon, she has to see her conselor this eveing.

Yesterday, I took the kids for back to school shopping and didn't come home till 6pm. To my suprise, WH was home when we came back and he cooked. After dinner, he continued his project of changing the front porch light and the garage light he didn't finish Saturday. He was nice to the kids too. Then he sat in front of the computer again. He still didn't come to my room to sleep. But who cares. I have to wait and see what is going on.

Today, I got my test results. I was told that I was infected before(when?) but not active now, but WH seems to be actively infected. I don't understand.

#1160873 08/25/04 01:37 PM
B
B
Lostnhurt - Check this article out. It gives a good explanation for you.

What is hepatitis B?
Hepatitis B is a serious public health problem that affects people of all ages in the United States and around the world. In 2001, an estimated 78,000 people contracted hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection in the United States. Hepatitis B is caused by a highly infectious virus that attacks the liver and can lead to severe illness, liver damage, and in some cases, death.

The best way to be protected from hepatitis B is to be vaccinated with hepatitis B vaccine, a vaccine used in the U.S. for more than two decades and proven safe and effective.

Who is at risk for HBV infection?
About 5% of people in the U.S. will get infected with HBV sometime during their lives. If you engage in certain behaviors, your risk may be much higher. You may be at risk if you:

have a job that exposes you to human blood
share a household with someone who has lifelong HBV infection
inject drugs
have sex with a person infected with HBV
have sex with more than one partner during a six-month period
received blood transfusions in the past before excellent blood testing was available (1975)
are a person whose parents were born in Asia, Africa, the Amazon Basin in South America, the Pacific Islands, Eastern Europe, or the Middle East
were born in an area listed above
were adopted from an area listed above
are an Alaska native
have hemophilia
are a patient or worker in an institution for the developmentally disabled
are an inmate of a long-term correctional facility
travel internationally to areas with a high prevalence of hepatitis B
The largest outbreak of hepatitis B in the U.S. occurred in 1942 in military personnel who were given vaccine to protect them from yellow fever. It was unknown at the time that this vaccine contained a human blood component that was contaminated with HBV. The outbreak caused 28,585 cases of hepatitis B with jaundice.

How is HBV spread?
HBV is found in blood and certain body fluids—such as serum, semen, vaginal secretions—of people infected with HBV. HBV is not found in sweat, tears, urine, or respiratory secretions. Contact with even small amounts of infected blood can cause infection.

Hepatitis B virus can be spread by:

unprotected sex
injecting drug use
an infected mother to her child during birth
contact with the blood or open sores of an infected person
human bites
sharing a household with a chronically infected person
sharing items such as razors, toothbrushes, or washcloths
pre-chewing food for babies or sharing chewing gum
using unsterilized needles in ear or body piercing, tattooing, or acupuncture
using the same immunization needle on more than one person
Hepatitis B virus IS NOT spread by:

casual contact like holding hands
eating food prepared by an infected person
kissing or hugging
sharing silverware, plates, or cups
visiting an infected person's home
sneezing or coughing
What are the symptoms of hepatitis B?
Most people who get HBV infection as babies or children don't look or feel sick at all. Similarly, almost half of adults who get infected don't have any symptoms or signs of the disease. If people do have signs or symptoms, they may experience any or all of the following:

loss of appetite
yellowing of skin and eyes (jaundice)
nausea, vomiting
fever
weakness, tiredness, inability to work for weeks or months
abdominal pain and/or joint pain
dark urine
I'm not in a risk group. How did I get HBV infection?
Many people don't know when or how they acquired the infection. When they get the blood test results indicating they've been infected with HBV, they are taken by surprise. Studies have demonstrated that 30—40% of people who acquire HBV infection are unable to identify their own risk factors explaining why they have the disease.

Do people usually recover from HBV infection?
Nearly 95% of adults recover after several months. They clear the infection from their bodies and become immune. This means they won't get infected with HBV again. They are no longer contagious and cannot pass HBV on to others.

Unfortunately, of those who become newly infected with HBV, about 5% of adults and up to 90% of children under age 5 are unable to clear the infection from their bodies; they become chronically infected.

How do I know if I have or have had HBV infection?
The only way to know if you are currently infected with HBV, have recovered, are chronically infected, or are susceptible, is by having blood tests. The three standard blood tests are the following:

HBsAg (hepatitis B surface antigen): when this is "positive" or "reactive," it means the person is currently infected with HBV and is able to pass the infection on to others.

Anti-HBc [or HBc-Ab] (antibody to hepatitis B core antigen): when this is "positive" or "reactive" it may mean the person has had contact with HBV. This is a very complicated test to explain because the "anti-HBc" could possibly be a "false-positive" test result. The interpretation of this positive test usually depends on the results of the other two blood tests. Blood banks routinely run an "anti-HBc," but they do not routinely run an "anti-HBs."

Anti-HBs [or HBs-Ab] (antibody to hepatitis B surface antigen): when this is "positive" or "reactive," it means the person is immune to HBV infection, either from vaccination or from past infection. If the person was previously infected, s/he cannot pass the disease on to others. (To repeat, this test is not routinely done by blood banks.)

Interpretation of the Hepatitis B Blood Test Results

Tests Results Interpretation
HBsAg
anti-HBc
anti-HBs negative
negative
negative susceptible
HBsAg
anti-HBc
anti-HBs negative
negative
positive with >10mIU/mL* immune due to vaccination
HBsAg
anti-HBc
anti-HBs negative
positive
positive immune due to natural infection
HBsAg
anti-HBc
IgM anti-HBc
anti-HBs positive
positive
positive
negative newly infected
HBsAg
anti-HBc
IgM anti-HBc
anti-HBs positive
positive
negative
negative chronically infected
HBsAg
anti-HBc
anti-HBs negative
positive
negative four interpretations possible†

* Postvaccination testing, when it is recommended, should be done 1–2 months after the final dose.
†1. May be recovering from acute HBV infection.
2. May be distantly immune and the test is not sensitive enough to detect a very low level of anti-HBs in serum.
3. May be susceptible with a "false positive" anti-HBc.
4. May be chronically infected and have an undetectable level of HBsAg present in the serum.

What does it mean if my blood bank said I tested positive for hepatitis B and can no longer donate blood?
If the blood bank told you your test was "positive," it is important to find out which test was positive. If the "HBsAg" was positive, this means that you are either chronically infected with HBV or were recently infected. If only the "anti-HBc" was positive, it is most likely that you either had a "false-positive" test or are immune to hepatitis B. It is important that you understand the full meaning of your test results. If you are not sure how to interpret these test results, call your blood bank for an explanation or have the blood bank send the test results to your physician. You may need to provide written permission for the blood bank to release these results to your physician. Your physician may want to repeat the blood tests or perform additional tests such as an "anti-HBs." Bring this information sheet along with you to your doctor visit.

And remember, you cannot contract HBV from donating blood because the equipment used during blood donation is sterile.

CHRONIC HEPATITIS B VIRUS INFECTION

What does it mean to be chronically infected with hepatitis B virus?
People who do not recover from HBV infection are chronically infected, and there are over one million chronically infected people in the United States today. A chronically infected person is someone who has had HBV in her/his blood for more than six months. While approximately 5% of adults who acquire HBV infection become chronically infected, children less than five years of age have a greater risk. The younger the child is at the time of infection, the greater the risk that the child will have a lifelong infection. Many babies born to chronically infected mothers will also become chronically infected with HBV unless the babies are given two shots in the hospital and at least two more during the 6 months after birth to protect them from the infection.

A chronically infected person usually has no signs or symptoms of HBV infection but remains infected for years or for a lifetime and is capable of passing HBV on to others. Sometimes chronically infected people will spontaneously clear the infection from their bodies, but most will not. Although most chronically infected people have no serious problems with hepatitis B and lead normal, healthy lives, some develop liver problems later. Chronically infected people are at significantly higher risk than the general population for liver failure or liver cancer.

How can I take care of myself if I am chronically infected with HBV?
A person with HBV infection should see a physician knowledgeable about the management of liver disease every 6-12 months. The physician will do blood tests to check the health of the liver as well as test for evidence of liver cancer. It is best for chronically infected people to avoid alcohol because alcohol can injure the liver. Additionally, your physician should know about all the medicines you are taking, even over-the-counter drugs, because some medicines can hurt the liver. If there are any liver test abnormalities, consultation with a liver specialist regarding your need for further testing and treatment is important.

If your liver disease has progressed...
If your physician tells you your liver disease has progressed, here are some extra precautions you should take:

Get a yearly influenza vaccination. Patients with severe liver disease (cirrhosis) should also receive pneumococcal vaccine.
Get vaccinated against hepatitis A. Hepatitis A can further damage your liver.
Don't eat raw oysters. They may carry the bacteria Vibrio vulnificus, which can cause serious blood infections in people with liver disease. Approximately 40% of people with this blood infection die.
What can I do to protect others from HBV infection?
People with HBV infection might feel healthy but are still capable of passing the infection on to other people. To protect others from getting HBV infection, it is important to protect them from contact with your infected blood and other infectious body fluids, including semen and vaginal secretions. Sweat, tears, urine, and respiratory secretions do not contain hepatitis B virus. Hepatitis B virus transmission via saliva has only been documented through biting.

Important DOs and DON'Ts for people with chronic HBV infection
DO:

Cover all cuts and open sores with a bandage.
Discard used items such as bandaids and menstrual pads carefully so no one is accidentally exposed to your blood.
Wash your hands well after touching your blood or infectious body fluids.
Clean up blood spills. Then reclean the area with a bleach solution (one part household chlorine bleach to 10 parts water).
Tell your sex partner(s) you have hepatitis B so they can be tested and vaccinated (if not already infected). Partners should be tested after the three doses are completed to be sure the vaccine worked.
Use condoms (rubbers) during sex unless your sex partner has had hepatitis B or has been immunized and has had a blood test demonstrating immunity. (Condoms may also protect you from other sexually transmitted diseases.)
Tell household members to see their doctors for testing and vaccination for hepatitis B.
Tell your doctors that you are chronically infected with HBV.
See your doctor every 6-12 months to check your liver for abnormalities including cancer.
If you are pregnant, tell your doctor that you have HBV infection. It is critical that your baby is started on the hepatitis B shots within a few hours of birth.

DON'T:
Share chewing gum, toothbrushes, razors, washcloths, needles for ear or body piercing, or anything that may have come in contact with your blood or infectious body fluids
Pre-chew food for babies
Share syringes and needles
Donate blood, plasma, body organs, tissue, or sperm

What are the long-term effects of HBV infection?
Each year, approximately 5,000 people in the U.S. die of HBV-related liver failure and another 1,500 die from HBV-related liver cancer. HBV infection is the most common cause of liver cancer worldwide and ranks second only to cigarettes as the world's leading cause of cancer.

Is there a cure for hepatitis B?
As of this writing, there are three FDA-approved medications (interferon, lamivudine, and adefovir) that can help a person who is already infected with HBV. Their use is reserved for people who have certain blood test abnormalities. Be sure to ask your doctor if you are a candidate for treatment or if you might benefit from enrolling in a clinical trial. Researchers continue to seek additional cures for hepatitis B.

Why is hepatitis B so serious in pregnant women?
Pregnant women who are infected with HBV can transmit the disease to their babies. Many of these babies develop lifelong HBV infections, and up to 25% will develop liver failure or liver cancer later in life. All pregnant women should be tested early in pregnancy to determine if they are infected with HBV. If the blood test is positive, the baby should be vaccinated at birth with two shots, one of hepatitis B immune globulin (HBIG) and one of hepatitis B vaccine. The infant will need at least two additional doses of hepatitis B vaccine by 6 months of age.

How can hepatitis B be prevented?
The vaccine can provide protection in 90–95% of healthy young adults. The vaccine can be given safely to infants, children, and adults usually in three doses over an approximate 6-month period. Even pregnant women can be safely given these shots if their risk factors warrant it. Hepatitis B shots are very safe, and side effects are rare. Hepatitis B vaccine is our first vaccine that prevents cancer—liver cancer.

At what age are hepatitis B shots routinely given?
In the U.S., hepatitis B shots are routinely recommended for all children 0–18 years of age. For babies, the first hepatitis B shot is recommended to be given in the hospital at birth. Older children and teens should be vaccinated at the earliest opportunity. Any adult who is at risk for HBV infection should start the vaccine series immediately.

Where can I get hepatitis B shots?
Check with your clinic first. Children's health insurance often covers the cost of this vaccine since it is routinely recommended for all U.S. children. If your child is uninsured, ask your local health department for assistance. For adults, contact your health provider first to find out if the vaccine is covered under your health plan. If you are uninsured, call your local health department for advice.

How many shots are needed?
Usually three shots are needed for the best protection against HBV, but some protection is provided from receiving as little as one dose. The shots are usually given on a schedule of 0, 1, and 6 months, but there is great flexibility in the timing of these injections. As with all other vaccines, if you fall behind on the schedule, you just continue from where you left off. Hepatitis B shots will not help or cure a person who is already infected with the hepatitis B virus.

What should I do if I'm in a risk group?
If you are in a risk group for hepatitis B (risk groups are listed on page 1), get vaccinated! All people in risk groups should protect themselves from HBV infection. Every day you delay getting vaccinated increases your chances of getting this highly contagious liver disease. The problems caused by hepatitis B—liver cancer and liver failure—are too great. See your doctor or visit your health department.

How does hepatitis B differ from hepatitis A and C?
Hepatitis A, B, and C are all viruses that attack and injure the liver, and all can cause similar symptoms. Usually, people get hepatitis A from household or sexual contact with a person who has hepatitis A. Hepatitis C, formerly known as hepatitis non-A non-B, is caused by the hepatitis C virus and is spread in much the same way as HBV. Both hepatitis B and C can cause lifelong liver problems while hepatitis A does not. Vaccines to prevent hepatitis A are now available. There is no vaccine yet for hepatitis C. If you've had hepatitis A or C in the past, it is still possible to get hepatitis B.

Where can I receive more information about hepatitis B?
Contact your local and state health departments for more information. You can also contact the following organizations:

Immunization Action Coalition
Hepatitis B Coalition
(651) 647-9009
www.immunize.org
www.vaccineinformation.org

American Liver Foundation
(800) 465-4837
www.liverfoundation.org

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
(888) 443-7232 Hepatitis Hotline, automated
(800) 232-2522 Immunization Hotline
www.cdc.gov/hepatitis
www.cdc.gov/nip

Hepatitis B Foundation
(215) 489-4900
www.hepb.org

Hepatitis Foundation International

#1160874 08/25/04 01:40 PM
R
OP Offline
R
email me what exactly the doctor or report said and i can try to help interpret but what believer has posted is pretty good.

<small>[ August 25, 2004, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: roughroad ]</small>

#1160875 08/25/04 02:42 PM
L
L
Thanks Believer. It is very educational. Now my concern is that when I was infected and are my kids in risk.

RR, I sent an e-mail to you.

#1160876 08/25/04 03:00 PM
B
B
Your kids should have been vaccinated for HepB. Check with their doctor.

#1160877 08/30/04 11:00 AM
L
L
It is been a record long time for WH to stay home. Since we picked DD back from camp on last Monday, he only went out 1 night(thursday) and came home at about 11pm. All other time, he came home at about 6:30pm like the pre-A and then stayed home, no phome mysterious phone calls and pages in or out. He also spent a lot of time with the kittens, clean them and played with them. I don't know what this is. I don't want to have false hope and be disappointed later. I need to stay alert. Can anyone tell me what to do now?

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,079 guests, and 45 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation