Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 24 of 58 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 57 58
H
H
Oh my HAPPY BIRTHDAY paradise!!!

No, I haven't fallen off the planet. Just have had so much work to do lately as well as trying to do the Body for Life fitness workouts.

Also my girlfriend of 17 years had a heart attack last week and I need to go for a visit to Laughlin this Friday. She is 58 years old and this is her second in 2 years .

Next week, hopefully, if my bestest friend Terry in CA feels up to it, I am planning a trip to visit with him. He has his third chemo on the 20th, please keep him in your prayers.
Bought a new car, and am now painting the salesman's townhome (he has sold us two cars in the past 2 years and we have become friends). Tonight his general manager wants me to paint his home, yikes...what have I got myself into.

I will try to take some time and read all your postings. Looks like you have all been so busy.

Hello DH...I will check on you also.

You are in my prayers...Peace,

holiday

Cat Stevens (Yusuf Islam) is an old favorite...Teaser and the Firecat (IF I LAUGH) was one of my favorite albums in high school...still have them boxed in the closet, with no stereo that will play them. Guess I need to upgrade them to CD.

M 013082 BS me 47 FWH 44 DD 112904 NC 113004 S 22 D 15 Tell the truth. There will be less things to remember.
P
OP Offline
P
Hi Holiday,

Thank you for the Birthday wish. I am still praying for Terry and John. I keep a list of people I try to send positive blessings too. In fact I do this walking in the street with strangers I see. Oddly the more positive thoughts you try to emote, the more it feels like you have to give. Both men, I know are facing very dark challenges. I am happy you will get to spend some time with him next week. It is a good sign that he is up for company.

I am sorry about your girlfriend, when people we love get sick it hurts. I think I will add her to my list.

Cat Stevens, Oh my those dark broody eyes of his... I still really like his music. It brings back very carefree memories.

House painting. You are a woman of many talents, Holiday. I like that. I like people with diverse talents. It means they try things and they keep trying.

How is Hubby's progress with the books. Some parts of it must be fun - learning has rich rewards. It is exercise for the brain.

I went to see the Producers tonight with a couple of friends. We sat around afterwards over a quick coffee. It felt like a perfectly normal evening to me. Normal is very malable reference point these days.

Six guests are coming to the cottage this weekend, plus all our regular cottage mates. It will be busy, fun and crowded.

Last night, I made a huge mess in my foyer pulling apart a closet. Putting things back is the next thing on my agenda. I think I will put on one of your favourite Cat Stevens albums and get busy. "I lisen to the wind, to the wind of my soul. Where I'll end up well I think God only knows ..

Wishing you and yours well and happy...

Cheers

PB

Last edited by paradise_blue; 01/19/06 10:41 PM.
P
OP Offline
P

Hi Dukhuntr,

Thank you for the birthday wish. I am in a very good mood tonight. I was reading one of your last posts. What exactly is deer salami? Venison? Is there a brand name for this delicacy? I think I will try it.

I am postponing my to do list items. I have paperwork to get done tonight and some tidying up and organizing to do...

Instead, I took the dog for a walk and stood in the park chatting with a very nice couple, feeding bickies to their dog and learning all about the southern parts of Englsnd.

I best get at it... Hope you are out and about having fun tonight!

Cheers,

PB

D
D
Paradise,

No brand name, it is made of venison from deer we have processed ourselves and taken to the local butcher shop. They combine the venison with suet, pork and other secret stuff to make a tasty treat. Much spicier than italian salami and probabbly a little unhealthier too! If you would like some I would send you a stick. Make that a quarter of a 3lb stick. A little goes a long ways.

I was out last night and I am going out again tonight. A friend plays in a band called the Saddle Tramps and is doing a benefit show tonight for another ailing friend. A group of us are going and it should be entertaining to say the least. I need another night of fun, work bites right now and I have to work Sunday to get caught up. Not too much fun though I have to be somewhat cognizant tomorrow for the Safari show with my new friend.

I am struggling with myself having fun with someone like her. Lets call her Safari girl. I'm not sure if I want to be out with someone else yet but at the same time I like her and she seems to be really interested in me. I think it's just fear of rejection and nerves talking but it does make me more reserved than normal around her. What do you think? Is it too soon to be testing the dating scene if these thoughts are still popping up?

What are you thinking these days? I know the sites you have put up here give conflicting thoughts to me so I think you are still searching out new and diffferent ways of looking at your situation. I still say your original thoughts of just being yourself and enjoying every day on its own merits is the best answer. Keeping positive and staying busy is the best medicine. Okay off to the show. Have a wonderful weekend and I will check in later .

Dukhuntr

"When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that opened for us" - Helen Keller
E
E
Paradise...

A VERY happy belated Birthday wish to you.

And Dukhunter... I have only skimmed over the posts quickly, but I'm grinning from ear to ear for you.

I've just returned from a a wonderful long break down in Mexico...and yes, I'm a farm girl, so I can share many a funny "snuff" story when I get back in the swing here..

A tanned and smiling,

Eibrab

D
D
Hi Eibrab!

I've been wondering where you have been keeping yourself. Glad to hear you were having fun in the sun! Send a breath of warm air paradise's way, it's been a little chhillyy up there.

Can't chat too much, I'm off to another basketball game with Safari Girl! Even if this doesn't lead anywhere else, I do have fun with this woman. A sense of humor and as independent as all get out. I could be just fine with friends with her no problem.

You sound really good. Have a great evening!

Dukhuntr

"When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that opened for us" - Helen Keller
P
OP Offline
P
Hola Eibrab,

Mexico... sounds like fun. Shopping for silver, clay pots, sunning on the beach .... drinking those powerful fruity concoctions with little umbrellas... yummmy. I am glad you and yours had a great time.

I hope all is well. I was thinking of Ugh, sorry, Silver today. Give him a hug for me, he must be a very special horse.

I am back from the cottage, and facing loads of work I must get done. I got back just in time to vote. I stood looking at the ballot and ended up voting the same way my Mom did. She is an avid political critic - very up to date on all matters legislative.

We had dinner together tonight. She can be alot of fun. She likes to tease people. Much the way my Dad did. I think their personalities merged at some point. She says she feels him near her alot of the time ....

Blue had a fun weekend. We cooked beer can chicken. Two very large birds, he smells faintly like chicken. It always amuses my guests when I brush his teeth with the electric toothbrush before bed time. He sits calmly - occasionally turning his head to make things easier, not minding the noisey brring sound it makes.

It was a great weekend, alas, I came home with the remains of yet another birthday cake. I am glad it comes only once a year.

I cleaned the place thoroughly before I locked up. Mr. Midnight is going up there this week.

I don't think I know what I want anymore. It is a very confusing situation. I know I still love the man I married. He just doesn't seem to be on the scene anymore. I heard someone else describe her MLC wayward spouse as an alien [censored]. It made me laugh. I am so glad I am not the only one going through this. It really helps to hear the reaction of other people faced with similar challenges.

I am as pleased as you are - at how much happier Dukhuntr sounds. Nothing like an interested female to perk a man up!

Blessing to you and yours,

Paradise

P
OP Offline
P
Hey Dukhuntr,

You go Safari Girl! I am so happy you are having fun. Life is so short. It spins by. Being happy is the only sensible choice in the matter.

Have a great night...

Cheers,

Paradise

P
OP Offline
P

Hi All,

Pasting doggie quotes provided on another site:

The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
-Anonymous

Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.
-Ann Landers

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers

There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.
-Ben Williams

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
-Josh Billings

The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.
-Andy Rooney

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate.
-Sigmund Freud

I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a weird religious cult.
-Rita Rudner

A dog teaches a boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
-Robert Benchley

Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog.
-Franklin P. Jones

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few persons.
-James Thurber

If your dog is fat, you aren't getting enough exercise.
-Unknown

My dog is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to $3.00 a can. That's almost $21.00 in dog money.
-Joe Weinstein

Ever consider what our dogs must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul -- chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!
-Anne Tyler

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
-Mark Twain

You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you a look that says, 'Wow, you're right! I never would've thought of that!'
-Dave Barry

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
-Roger Caras

If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then give him only two of them.
-Phil Pastoret

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am!

P
OP Offline
P
Hi All,

This is a long very interesting except from Frank Pittman's book. It was posted by New Outlook over at Fortysixty. Her posts are always very insightful.

It is long but a very worthwhile read. .

Beyond Betrayal: Life After Infidelity -, by Frank Pitman III

Accidental

Infidelity

All affairs are not alike. The thousands of affairs I've seen seem to fall into four broad categories. Most first affairs are cases of accidental infidelity, unintended and uncharacteristic acts of carelessness that really did "just happen." Someone will get drunk, will get caught up in the moment, will just be having a bad day. It can happen to anyone, though some people are more accident prone than others, and some situations are accident zones.

Many a young man has started his career as a philanderer quite accidentally when he is traveling out of town on a new job with a philandering boss who chooses one of a pair of women and expects the young fellow to entertain the other. The most startling dynamic behind accidental infidelity is misplaced politeness, the feeling that it would be rude to turn down a needy friend's sexual advances. In the debonair gallantry of the moment, the brazen discourtesy to the marriage partner is overlooked altogether.

Both men and women can slip up and have accidental affairs, though the most accident-prone are those who drink, those who travel, those who don't get asked much, those who don't feel very tightly married, those whose running buddies screw around, and those who are afraid to run from a challenge. Most are men.

After an accidental infidelity, there is clearly the sense that one's life and marriage have changed. The choices are:

1. To decide that infidelity was a stupid thing to do, to confess it or not to do so, but to resolve to take better precautions in the future;

2. To decide you wouldn't have done such a thing unless your husband or wife had let you down, put the blame on your mate, and go home and pick your marriage to death;

3. To notice that lightning did not strike you dead, decide this would be a safe and inexpensive hobby to take up, and do it some more;

4. To decide that you would not have done such a thing if you were married to the right person, determine that this was "meant to be," and declare yourself in love with the stranger in the bed.

Romantic Infidelity

Surely the craziest and most destructive form of infidelity is the temporary insanity of failing in love. You do this, not when you meet somebody wonderful (wonderful people don't screw around with married people) but when you are going through a crisis in your own life, can't continuing living your life, and aren't quite ready for suicide yet. An affair with someone grossly inappropriate - someone decades younger or older, someone dependent or dominating, someone with problems even bigger than your own - is so crazily stimulating that it's like a drug that can lift you out of your depression and enable you to feel things again. Of course, between moments of ecstasy, you are more depressed, increasingly alone and alienated in your life, and increasingly hooked on the affair partner. Ideal romance partners are damsels or "dumsels" in distress, people without a life but with a lot of problems, people with bad reality testing and little concern with understanding reality better.

Romantic affairs lead to a great many divorces, suicides, homicides, heart attacks, and strokes, but not to very many successful remarriages. No matter how many sacrifices you make to keep the love alive, no matter how many sacrifices your family and children make for this crazy relationship, it will gradually burn itself out when there is nothing more to sacrifice to it. Then you must face not only the wreckage of several lives, but the original depression from which the affair was an insane flight into escape.

People are most likely to get into these romantic affairs at the turning points of life: when their parents die or their children grow up; when they suffer health crises or are under pressure to give up an addiction; when they achieve an unexpected level of job success or job failure; or when their first child is born - any situation in which they must face a lot of reality and grow up. The better the marriage, the saner and more sensible the spouse, the more alienated the romantic is likely to feel. Romantic affairs happen in good marriages even more often than in bad ones.

Both genders seem equally capable of falling into the temporary insanity of romantic affairs, though women are more likely to reframe anything they do as having been done for love. Women in love are far more aware of what they are doing and what the dangers might be. Men in love can be extraordinarily incautious and willing to give up everything. Men in love lose their heads - at least for a while.

Marital

Arrangements

All marriages are imperfect, and probably a disappointment in one way or another, which is a piece of reality, not a license to mess around with the neighbors. There are some marriages that fail to provide a modicum of warmth, sex, sanity, companionship, money. There are awful marriages people can't get all the way into and can't get all the way out of, divorces people won't call off and can't go through, marriages that won't die and won't recover. Often people in such marriages make a marital arrangement by calling in marital aides to keep them company while they avoid living their life. Such practical affairs help them keep the marriage steady but distant. They thus encapsulate the marital deficiency, so the infidel can neither establish a life without the problems nor solve them. Affairs can wreck a good marriage, but can help stabilize a bad one.

People who get into marital arrangements are not necessarily the innocent victims of defective relationships. Some set out to keep their marriages defective and distant. I have seen men who have kept the same mistress through several marriages, arranging their marriages to serve some practical purpose while keeping their romance safely encapsulated elsewhere. The men considered it a victory over marriage; the exploited wives were outraged.

I encountered one woman who had long been involved with a married man. She got tired of waiting for him to get a divorce and married someone else. She didn't tell her husband about her affair, and she didn't tell her affairee about her marriage. She somehow thought they would never find out about one another. After a few exhausting and confusing weeks, the men met and confronted her. She cheerfully told them she loved them both and the arrangement seemed the sensible way to have her cake and eat it too. She couldn't understand why both the men felt cheated and deprived by her efforts to sacrifice their lives to satisfy her skittishness about total commitment.

Some of these arrangements can get quite complicated. One woman supported her house-husband and their kids by living as the mistress of an older married man, who spent his afternoons and weekend days with her and his evenings at home with his own children and his sexually boring wife. People averse to conflict might prefer such arrangements to therapy, or any other effort to actually solve the problems of the marriage.

Unhappily married people of either gender can establish marital arrangements to help them through the night. But men are more likely to focus on the practicality of the arrangement and diminish awareness of any threat to the stability of the marriage, while women are more likely to romanticize the arrangement and convince themselves it is leading toward an eventual union with the romantic partner. Networks of couples may spend their lives half-way through someone's divorce, usually with a guilt-ridden man reluctant to completely leave a marriage he has betrayed and even deserted, and a woman, no matter how hard she protests to the contrary, eternally hopeful for a wedding in the future.

Philandering

Philandering is a predominantly male activity. Philanderers take up infidelity as a hobby. Philanderers are likely to have a rigid and concrete concept of gender; they worship masculinity, and while they may be greatly attracted to women, they are mostly interested in having the woman affirm their masculinity. They don't really like women, and they certainly don't want an equal, intimate relationship with a member of the gender they insist is inferior, but far too powerful. They see women as dangerous, since women have the ability to assess a man's worth, to measure him and find him wanting, to determine whether he is man enough.

These men may or may not like sex, but they use it compulsively to affirm their masculinity and overcome both their homophobia and their fear of women. They can be cruel, abusive, and even violent to women who try to get control of them and stop the philandering they consider crucial to their masculinity. Their life is centered around displays of masculinity, however they define it, trying to impress women with their physical strength, competitive victories, seductive skills, mastery of all situations, power, wealth, and, if necessary, violence. Some of them are quite charming and have no trouble finding women eager to be abused by them.

Gay men can philander too, and the dynamics are the same for gay philanderers as for straight ones: the obvious avoidance of female sexual control, but also the preoccupation with masculinity and the use of rampant sexuality for both reassurance and the measurement of manhood. When men have paid such an enormous social and interpersonal price for their preferred sexuality, they are likely to wrap an enormous amount of their identity around their sexuality and express that sexuality extensively.

Philanderers may be the sons of philanderers, or they may have learned their ideas about marriage and gender from their ethnic group or inadvertently from their religion. Somewhere they have gotten the idea that their masculinity is their most valuable attribute and it requires them to protect themselves from coming under female control. These guys may consider themselves quite principled and honorable, and they may follow the rules to the letter in their dealings with other men. But in their world women have no rights.

To men they may seem normal, but women experience them as narcissistic or even sociopathic. They think they are normal, that they are doing what every other real man would do if he weren't such a wimp. The notions of marital fidelity, of gender equality, of honesty and intimacy between husbands and wives seem quite foreign from what they learned growing up. The gender equality of monogamy may not feel compatible to men steeped in patriarchal beliefs in men being gods and women being ribs. Monogamous sexuality is difficult for men who worship Madonnas for their sexlessness and berate Eves for their seductiveness.

Philanderers' sexuality is fueled by anger and fear, and while they may be considered "sex addicts" they are really gender compulsives," desperately doing whatever they think wifl make them look and feel most masculine. They put notches on their belts in hopes it will make their penises grow bigger. If they can get a woman to die for them, like opera composer Giacomo Puccini did in real life and in most of his operas, they feel like a real man.

Female

Philanderers

There are female philanderers too, and they too are usually the daughters or ex-wives of philanderers. They are angry at men, because they believe all men screw around as their father or ex-husband did. A female philanderer is not likely to stay married for very long, since that would require her to make peace with a man, and as a woman to carry more than her share of the burden of marriage. Marriage grounds people in reality rather than transporting them into fantasy, so marriage is too loving, too demanding, too realistic, and not romantic enough for them.

I hear stories of female philanderers, such as Maria Riva's description of her mother, Marlene Dietrich. The appear to have insatiable sexual appetites but, on closer examination, they don't like sex much, they do like power over men, and underneath the philandering anger, they are plaintively seeking love.

Straying wives are rarely philanderers, but single women who mess around with married men are quite likely to be. Female philanderer's prefer to raid other people's marriages, breaking up relationships, doing as much damage as possible, and then dancing off reaffirmed. Like male philanderers, female philanderers put their victims through all of this just to give themselves a sense of gender power.

Spider Woman

There are women who, by nature romantics, don't quite want to escape their own life and die for love. Instead they'd rather have some guy wreck his life for them. These women have been so recently betrayed by unfaithful men that the wound is still raw and they are out for revenge. A woman who angrily pursues married men is a "spider woman" - she requires human sacrifice to restore her sense of power.

When she is sucking the blood from other people's marriages, she feels some relief from the pain of having her own marriage betrayed. She simply requires that a man love her enough to sacrifice his life for her. She may be particularly attracted to happy marriages, dearly envious of the woman whose husband is faithful and loving to her. Sometimes it isn't clear whether she wants to replace the happy wife or just make her miserable.

The women who are least squeamish and most likely to wreak havoc on other people's marriages are victims of some sort of abuse, so angry that they don't feel bound by the usual rules or obligations, so desperate that they cling to any source of security, and so miserable that they don't bother to think a bit of the end of it.

Josephine Hart's novel Damage, and the recent Louis Malle film version of it, describe such a woman. She seduces her fiancee's depressed father, and after the fiancee discovers the affair and kills himself, she waltzes off from the wreckage of all the lives. She explains that her father disappeared long ago, her mother had been married four or five times, and her brother committed suicide when she left his bed and began to date other boys. She described herself as damaged, and says: "Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive."

Bette was a spider woman. She came to see me only once, with her married affair partner Alvin, a man I had been seeing with his wife Agnes. But I kept up with her through the many people whose lives she touched. Bette's father had run off and left her and her mother when she was just a child, and her stepfather had exposed himself to her. Most recently Bette's manic husband Burt had run off with a stripper, Claudia, and had briefly married her before he crashed and went into a psychiatric hospital.

While Burt was with Claudia, the enraged Bette promptly latched on to Alvin, a laid-back philanderer who had been married to Agnes for decades and had been screwing around casually most of that time. Bette was determined that Alvin was going to divorce Agnes and marry her, desert his children, and raise her now-fatherless kids. The normally cheerful Alvin, who had done a good job for a lifetime of pleasing every woman he met and avoiding getting trapped by any of them, couldn't seem to escape Bette, but he certainly had no desire to leave Agnes. He grew increasingly depressed and suicidal. He felt better after he told the long-suffering Agnes, but he stiu couldn't move in any direction. Over the next couple of Bette and Alvin too turns threatening suicide, while Agnes tended her garden, raised her children, ran her business, and waited for the increasingly disoriented and pathetic Alvin to come to his senses.

Agnes finally became sufficiently alarmed about her husband's deterioration that she decided the only way she could save his life was to divorce him. She did, and Alvin promptly dumped Bette. He could not forgive her for what she had made him do to dear, sweet Agnes. He lost no time in taking up with Darlene, with whom he had been flirting for some time, but who wouldn't go out with a married man. Agnes felt relief, and the comfort of a good settlement, but Bette was once again abandoned and desperate.

She called Alvin hourly, alternately threatening suicide, reciting erotic poetry, and offering to fix him dinner. She phoned bomb threats to Darlene's office. Bette called me to tell me what a sociopathic jerk Alvin was to betray her with another woman after all she had done in helping him through his divorce. She wrote sisterly notes to Agnes, offering the comfort of friendship to help one another through the awful experience of being betrayed by this terrible man. At no point did Bette consider that she had done anything wrong. She was now, as she had been all her life, a victim of men, who not only use and abuse women, but won't lay down their lives to rescue them on cue.

Emotionally Retarded

Men in Love

About the only people more dangerous than philandering men going through life with an open fly and romantic damsels going through life in perennial distress, are emotionally retarded men in love. When such men go through a difficult transition in life, they hunker down and ignore all emotions. Their brain chemistry gets depressed, but they don't know how to feel it as depression. Their loved ones try to kee from bothering them, try to keep things calm and serene - and isolate them further

An emotionally retarded man may go for a time without feeling pleasure, pain, or anything else, untd a strange woman jerks him back into awareness of something intense enough for him to feel it - perhaps sexual fireworks, or the boyish heroics of rescuing hff, or perhaps just fascination with her constantly changing moods and never-ending emotional crises.

With her, he can pull out of his depression briefly, but he sinks back even deeper into it when he is not with her. He is getting addicted to her, but he doesn't know that. He only feels the absence of joy and love and life with his serenely cautious wife and kids, and the awareness of life with this new woman. It doesn't work for him to leave home to be with her, as she too would grow stale and irritating if she were around full time.

What he needs is not a crazier woman to sacrifice his life for, but treatment for his depression. However, since the best home remedies for depression are sex, exercise, joy, and triumph, the dangerous damsel may be providing one or more of them in a big enough dose to make him feel a lot better. He may feel pretty good until he gets the bill, and sees how much of his life and the lives of his loved ones this treatment is costing. Marriages that start this way, stepping over the bodies of loved ones as the giddy couple walks down the aisle, are not likely to last long.

Howard had been faithful to Harriett for 16 years. He had been happy with her. She made him feel loved, which no one else had ever tried to do. Howard devoted himself to doing the right thing. He always did what he was supposed to do and he never complained. In fact he said very little at all.

Howard worked at Harriett's father's store, a stylish and expensive men's clothiers. He had worked there in high school and returned after college. He'd never had another job. He had felt like a son to his father-in-law. But when the old man retired, he bypassed the stalwart, loyal Howard and made his own wastrel son manager.

Howard also took care of his own elderly parents who lived next door. His father died, and left a nice little estate to his mother, who then gave much of it to his younger brother, who had gotten into trouble with gambling and extravagance.

Howard felt betrayed, and sank into a depression. He talked of quitting his job and moving away. Harriett pointed out the impracticality of that for the kids. She reminded him of all the good qualities of his mother and her father.

Howard didn't bring it up again. Instead, he began to talk to Maxine, one of the tailors at the store, a tired middle-aged woman who shared Howard's disillusionment with the world. One day, Maxine called frightened because she smelled gas in her trailer and her third ex-husband had threatened to hurt her. She needed for Howard to come out and see if he could smell anything dangerous. He did, and somehow ended up in bed with Maxine. He felt in love. He knew it was crazy but he couldn't get along without her. He bailed her out of the

frequent disasters in her life. They began to plot their getaway, which consumed his attention for months.

Harriett noticed the change in Howard, but thought he was just mourning his father's death. They continued to get along well, sex was as good as ever, and they enjoyed the same things they had always enjoyed. It was a shock to her when he told her he was moving out, that he didn't love her anymore, and that it had nothing whatever to do with Maxine, who would be leaving with him.

Harriett went into a rage and hit him. The children went berserk. The younger daughter cried inconsolably, the older one became bulimic, the son quit school and refused to leave his room. I saw the family a few times, but Howard would not turn back. He left with Maxine, and would not return my phone calls. The kids were carrying on so on the telephone, Howard stopped calling them for a few months, not wanting to upset them. Meanwhile he and Maxine, who had left her kids behind as well, borrowed some money from his mother and moved to the coast where they bought into a marina - the only thing they had in common was the pleasure of fishing.

A year later, Harriet and the kids were still in therapy but they were getting along pretty well without him. Harriett was running the clothing store. Howard decided he missed his children and invited them to go fishing with him and Maxine. It surprised him when they still refused to speak to him. He called me and complained to me that his depression was a great deal worse. The marina was doing badly. He and Maxine weren't getting along very well. He missed his children and cried a lot, and she told him his preoccupation with his children was a betrayal of her. He blamed Harriett for fussing at him when she found out about Maxine. He believed she turned the children against him. He couldn't understand why anyone would be mad with him; he couldn't help who he loves and who he doesn't love.

Men and Women

Who Cheat

Howard's failure to understand the complex emotional consequences of his affair is typically male, just as Bette's insistence that her affair partner live up to her romantic fantasies is typically female. Any gender-based generalization is both irritating and inaccurate, but some behaviors are typical. Men tend to attach too little significance to affairs, ignoring their horrifying power to disorient and disrupt lives, while women tend to attach too much significance, assuming that the emotions are so powerful they must be "real" and therefore concrete, permanent, and stable enough to risk a life for.

A man, especially a philandering man, may feel comfortable having sex with a woman if it is clear that he is not in love with her. Even when a man understands that a rule has been broken and he expects consequences of some sort, he routinely underestimates the extent and range and duration of the reactions to his betrayal. Men may agree that the sex is wrong, but may believe that the lying is a noble effort to protect the family. A man may reason that outside sex is wrong because there is a rule against it, without understanding that his lying establishes an adversarial relationship with his mate and is the greater offense. Men are often surprised at the intensity of their betrayed mate's anger, and then even more surprised when she is willing to take him back. Men rarely appreciate the devastating long-range impact of their infidelities, or even their divorces, on their children.

Routinely, a man will tell me that he assured himself that he loved his wife before he hopped into a strange bed, that the women there with him means nothing, that it is just a meaningless roll in the hay. A woman is more likely to tell me that at the sound of the zipper she quickly ascertained that she was not as much in love with her husband as she should have been, and the man there in bed with her was the true love of her life.

A woman seems likely to be less concerned with the letter of the law than with the emotional coherence of her life. It may be okay to screw a man if she "loves" him, whatever the status of his or her marriage, and it is certainly appropriate to lie to a man who believes he has a claim on you, but whom you don't love.

Women may be more concerned with the impact of their affairs on their children than they are with the effect on their mate, whom they have already devalued and discounted in anticipation of the affair. Of course, a woman is likely to feel the children would be in support of her affair, and thus may involve them in relaying her messages, keeping her secrets, and telling her lies. This can be mind-blowingly seductive and confusing to the kids. Sharing the secret of one parent's affair, and hiding it from the other parent, has essentially the same emotional impact as incest.

Some conventional wisdom about gender differences in infidelity is true.

More men than women do have affairs, but it seemed to me that before the AIDS epidemic, the rate for men was dropping (philandering has not been considered cute since the Kennedy's went out of power) and the rate for women was rising (women who assumed that all men were screwing around saw their own screwing around as a blow for equal rights.) In recent years, promiscuity seems suicidal so only the suicidal - that is, the romantics - are on the streets after dark.

Men are able to approach sex more casually than women, a factor not only of the patriarchal double standard but also of the difference between having genitals on the outside and having them on the inside. Getting laid for all the wrong reasons is a lot less dangerous than falling in love with all the wrong people.

Men who get caught screwing around are more likely to be honest about the sex than women. Men will confess the full sexual details, even if they are vague about the emotions. Women on the other hand will confess to total consuming love with some man, while insisting no sex ever took place. I would believe that if I'd ever seen a man describe the affair as so consumingly intense from the waist up and so chaste from the waist down. I assume these women are lying to me about what they know they did or did not do, while I assume that the men really are honest about the genital ups and downs - and honestly confused about the emotional ones.

Women are more likely to discuss their love affairs with their women friends. Philandering men may turn their sex lives into a spectator sport but romantic men tend to keep their love life private from their men friends, and often just withdraw from their friends during the romance.

On the other hand, women are not more romantic than men. Men in love are every bit as foolish and a lot more naive than women in love. They go crazier and risk more. They are far more likely to sacrifice or abandon their children to prove their love to some recent affairee. They are more likely to isolate themselves from everyone except their affair partner, and turn their thinking and feeling over to her, applying her romantic ways of thinking (or not thinking) to the dilemmas of his increasingly chaotic life.

Men are just as forgiving as women of their mates' affairs. They might claim ahead of time that they would never tolerate it, but when push comes to shove, cuckolded men are every bit as likely as cuckolded women to fight like tigers to hold on to a marriage that has been betrayed. Cuckolded men may react violently at first, though cuckolded women do so as well, and I've seen more cases of women who shot and wounded or killed errant husbands. (The shootings occur not when the affair is stopped and confessed, but when it is continued and denied.)

Betrayed men, like betrayed women, hunker down and do whatever they have to do to hold their marriage together. A few men and women go into a rage and refuse to turn back, and then spend a lifetime nursing the narcissistic injury, but that unusual occurrence is no more common for men than for women. Marriage can survive either a husband's infidelity or a wife's, if it is stopped, brought into the open, and dealt with.

I have cleaned up from more affairs than a squad of motel chambermaids. Infidelity is a very messy hobby. It is not an effective way to find a new mate or a new life.

It is not a safe treatment for depression, boredom, imperfect marriage, or inadequate gender splendor. And it certainly does not impress the rest of us. It does not work for women any better than it does for men. It does excite the senses and the imaginations of those who merely hear the tales of lives and deaths for love, who melt at the sound of liebestods or country songs of love gone wrong.

I think I've gotten more from infidelity as an observer than all the participants I've seen. Infidelity is a spectator sport like shark feeding or bull fighting - that is, great for those innocent bystanders who are careful not to get their feet, or whatever, wet. For the greatest enjoyment of infidelity, I recommend you observe from a safe physical and emotional distance and avoid any suicidal impulse to become a participant.

Myths of

Infidelity

The people who are running from bed to bed creating disasters for themselves and everyone else don't seem to know what they are doing. They just don't get it. But why should they? There is a mythology about infidelity that shows up in the popular press and even in the mental health literature that is guaranteed to mislead people and make dangerous situations even worse. Some of these myths are:

1. Everybody is unfaithful, it is normal, expectable behavior. Mozart, in his comic opera Cosi Fan Tutti, insisted that women all do it, but a far more common belief is that men all do it: "Higgamous, hoggamous, woman's monogamous; hoggamous, higgamous, man is polygamous." In Nora Ephron's movie, Heartburn, Meryl Streep's husband has left her for another woman. She turns to her father for solace, but he dismisses her complaint as the way of all male flesh: "If you want monogamy, marry a swan."

We don't know how many people are unfaithful; if people will lie to their own husband or wife, they surely aren't going to be honest with poll takers. We can guess that one-half of married men and one-third of married women have dropped their drawers away from home at least once. That's a lot of infidelity.

Still, most people are faithful most of the time. Without the expectation of fidelity, intimacy becomes awkward and marriage adversarial. People who expect their partner to betray them are likely to beat them to the draw, and to make both of them miserable in the meantime.

Most species of birds and animals in which the male serves some useful function other than sperm donation are inherently monogamous. Humans, like other nest budders, are monogamous by nature, but imperfectly so. We can be trained out of it, though even in polygamous and promiscuous cultures people show their true colors when they fall blindly and crazily in love. And we have an escape clause: nature mercifully permits us to survive our mates and mate again. But if we slip up and take a new mate while the old mate is still alive, it is likely to destroy the pair bonding with our previous mate and create great instinctual disorientation - which is part of the tragedy of infidelity.

2. Affairs are good for you; an affair may even revive a dull marriage. Back at the height of the sexual revolution, the Playboy philosophy and its Cosmopolitan counterpart urged infidelity as a way to keep men manly, women womanly, and marriage vital. Lately, in such books as Annette Lawson's Adultery and Dalma Heyn's The Erotic Silence of the American Wife, women have been encouraged to act out their sexual fantasies as a blow for equal rights.

It is true that if an affair is blatant enough and if all ****** breaks loose, the crisis of infidelity can shake up the most petrified marriage. Of course, any crisis can serve the same detonation function, and burning the house down might be a safer, cheaper, and more readily forgivable attention-getter.

However utopian the theories, the reality is that infidelity, whether it is furtive or blatant, will blow ****** out of a marriage. In 30 odd years of practice, I have encountered only a handful of established first marriages that ended in divorce without someone being unfaithful, often with the infidelity kept secret throughout the divorce process and even for years afterwards. Infidelity is the sine qua non of divorce.

3. People have affairs because they aren't in love with their marriage partner. People tell me this, and they even remember it this way. But on closer examination it routinely turns out that the marriage was fine before the affair happened, and the decision that they were not in love with their marriage partner was an effort to explain and justify the affair.

Being in love does not protect people from lust. Screwing around on your loved one is not a very loving thing to do, and it may be downright hostile. Every marriage is a thick stew of emotions ranging from lust to disgust, desperate love to homicidal rage. It would be idiotic to reduce such a wonderfully rich emotional diet to a question ("love me?" or "love me not?") so simplistic that it is best asked of the petals of daisies. Nonetheless, people do ask themselves such questions, and they answer them,

Falling out of love is no reason to betray your mate. If people are experiencing a deficiency in their ability to love their partner, it is not clear how something so hateful as betraying him or her would restore it.

4. People have affairs because they are oversexed. Affairs are about secrets. The infidelity is not necessarily in the sex, but in the dishonesty.

Swingers have sex openly, without dishonesty and therefore withut betrayal (though with a lot of scary bugs.) More cautious infidels might have chaste but furtive lunches and secret telephone calls with ex-spouses or former affair partners - nothing to sate the sexual tension, but just enough to prevent a marital reconciliation or intimacy in the marriage.

Affairs generally involve sex, at least enough sex to create a secret that seals the conspiratorial alliance of the affair, and makes the relationship tense, dangerous, and thus exciting. Most affairs consist of a little bad sex and hours on the telephone. I once saw a case in which the couple had attempted sex once 30 years before and had limited the intimacy in their respective marriages while they maintained their sad, secret love with quiet lunches, pondering the crucial question of whether or not he had gotten it all the way in on that immortal autumn evening in 1958.

In general, monogamous couples have a lot more sex than the people who are screwing around.

5. Affairs are ultimately the fault of the cuckold. Patriarchal custom assumes that when a man screws around it must be because of his wife's aesthetic, sexual, or emotional deficiencies. She failed him in some way. And feminist theory has assured us that if a wife screws around it must be because men are such ******. Many people believe that screwing around is a normal response to an imperfect marriage and is, by definition, the marriage partner's fault. Friends and relatives, bartenders, therapists, and hairdressers, often reveal their own gender prejudices and distrust of marriage, monogamy, intimacy, and honesty, when they encourage the infidel to put the blame on the cuckold rather than on him-or herself.

One trick for avoiding personal blame and responsibility is to blame the marriage itself (too early, too late, too soon after some event) or some unchangeable characteristic of the partner (too old, too tall, too ethnic, too smart, too experienced, too inexperienced.) This is both a cop-out and a dead end.

One marriage partner can make the other miserable, but can't make the other unfaithful. (The cuckold is usually not even there when the affair is taking place). Civilization and marriage require that people behave appropriately however they feel, and that they take full responsibility for their actions. "My wife drove me to it with her nagging"; "I can't help what I do because ot what my father did to me"; "She came on to me and her skirt was very short"; "I must be a sex addict"; et cetera. Baloney! If people really can't control their sexual behavior, they should not be permitted to run around loose.

There is no point in holding the cuckold responsible for the infidel's sexual behavior unless the cuckold has total control over the sexual equipment that has run off the road. Only the driver is responsible.

6. It is best to pretend not to know. There are people who avoid unpleasantness and would rather watch the house burn down than bother anyone by yelling "Fire!" Silence fuels the affair, which can thrive only in secrecy. Adulterous marriages begin their repair only when the secret is out in the open, and the infidel does not need to hide any longer. Of course, it also helps to end the affair.

A corollary is the belief that infidels must deny their affairs interminably and do all that is possible to drive cuckolds to such disorientation that they will doubt their own sanity rather than doubt their partner's fidelity. In actuality, the continued lying and denial is usually the most unforgivable aspect of the infidelity.

One man was in the habit of jogging each evening, but his wife noticed that is runnin clothes had stopped sinking. Suspicious, she followed him - to his secretary's apartment. She burst in and confronted her husband who was standing naked in the secretary's closet. She demanded: "What are you doing here?" He responded: "You do not see me here. You have gone crazy and are imagining this. She almost believed him, and remains to this day angrier about that than about the affair itself Once an affair is known or even suspected, there is no safety in denial, but the is hope in admission.

I recently treated a woman whose physician husband divorced her 20 years ago after a few years of marriage, telling her that she had an odor that was making him sick, and he had developed an allergy to her. She felt so bad about herself she never remarried.

I suspected there was more to the story, and sent her back to ask him whether he had been unfaithful to her. He confessed that he had been, but had tried to shield her from hurt by convincing her that he had been faithful and true but that she was repulsive. She feels much worse about him now, but much better about herself. She now feels free to date.

7. After an affair, divorce is inevitable. Essentially all first-time divorces occur in the wake of an affair. With therapy though, most adulterous marriages can be saved, and may even be stronger and more intimate than they were before the crisis. I have rarely seen a cuckold go all the way through with a divorce after a first affair that is now over. Of course, each subsequent affair lowers the odds drastically.

It doesn't happen the way it does in the movies. The indignant cuckold does scream and yell and carry on and threaten all manner of awful things - which should Dot be surprising since his or her life has just been torn asunder. But he or she quickly calms down and begins the effort to salvage the marriage, to pull the errant infidel from the arms of the dreaded affairee.

When a divorce occurs, it is because the infidel can not escape the affair in time or cannot face going back into a marriage in which he or she is now known and understood and can no longer pose as the chaste virgin or white knight spotless and beyond criticism. A recent New Yorker cartoon showed a forlorn man at a bar compaining: "My wife understands me."

Appropriate guilt is always helpful, though it must come from inside rather than from a raging, nasty spouse; anger is a lousy seduction technique for anyone except terminal weirdos. Guilt is good for you. Shame, however, makes people run away, and hide.

The prognosis after an affair is not grim, and those who have strayed have not lost all their value. The sadder but wiser infidel may be both more careful and more grateful in

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_...v26/ai_13700396

Frank S. Pittman III, MD, is a psychiatrist and family therapist in private practice in Atlanta. He works with individuals, couples, families and groups. For 30 years he was on the faculty of the Department of Psychiatry, Emory University School of Medicine (1968-98). He also served as Director of Psychiatric Services at Grady Memorial Hospital. He is Adjunct Associate Professor of Psychology at Georgia State University. A prolific writer and noted teacher of family therapy around the world, he is best known for his research in family crisis and the use of family therapy as an alternative to psychiatric hospitalization.

Dr. Pittman has served on the boards of a number of professional journals and for seventeen years has been a regular contributor and movie reviewer for the Family Therapy Networker. His work has also been honored by the American Psychiatric Association, the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT), and the Georgia AMFT. He is a Fellow and an Approved Supervisor of the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy.

Dr. Pittman’s many publications include four books: Turning Points: Treating Families in Transition and Crisis (W.W. Norton); Private Lies: Infidelity and the Betrayal of Intimacy (W.W. Norton); Man Enough: Fathers, Sons and the Search for Masculinity (Penguin-Putnam); and Grow Up! How Taking Responsibility Can Make You a Happy Adult (St. Martin’s).

Dr. Pittman is often quoted in Time, Newsweek, the New York Times, and most of the major newspapers and magazines in the U.S. and Canada. He has recently been featured in Men’s Health and Atlanta Magazine. He has appeared many times on national news shows such as CNN, Today, Good Morning America, NBC Nightly News, ABC News, and 60 Minutes, as well as the BBC, the CBC, Moscow Morning News and many other shows in Europe, South America, Australia, New Zealand and Israel. His talk show appearances include Larry King, Oprah, Phil Donahue and NPR.

P
OP Offline
P

Hi All,

New Outlook also posted a list of books which she got from another site. I thought I would post it here too for ease of reference....

Books:
“10 Stupid Things Couples Do to Mess UP their Relationships” Dr. Laura Schlessinger, 2001
“365 Questions for Couples” by Beck, Beck & Beck,
“All About Passion" by Stephanie Laurens. (What does "desire" mean?" or "What makes a man more manly?" or "Why is is so hard to function as a HDW?" etc. Plus, there are a couple very good sex tips and numerous hot scenes.JJ)
“Asserting Yourself: A Practical Guide for Positive Change" by Gordon & Sharon Bower. 1991)
“Between Love & Hate”
“Boundaries in Marriage" by Cloud and Townsend. Set and maintain personal boundaries and respect those of their spouse * Establish values that form a godly structure and architecture for their marriage * Protect their marriage from different kinds of "intruders" * Work with a spouse who understands and values boundaries--or work with one who doesn't
"Buyers, Renters, and Freeloaders". Buyers only want to be in a marriage where it is mutually satisfying and are willing to give up a marriage when the other person isn't interested. Renters are angry and try to convince another person that they are right. Freeloaders are unwilling to put any effort into caring for the other
“Change Your Life and Everyone In It”
DB “Divorce Busting” By Michele Weiner-Davis
DR “Divorce Remedy” By Michele Weiner-Davis 2001
“The Elementary Particles” by Houllebecq
“Feeliing Good” and “The Feeling Good Handbook” by David Burns, MD
“Fire Your Shrink” By Michele Weiner-Davis 1995
“The Five Love Languages” Gary Chapman. Words of Affirmation, Quality Time, Receiving Gifts, Acts of Service, and Physical Touch
“The Four Agreements” by Don Miguel Ruiz: Be impeccable with your word (speak with integrity; say only what you mean); Don’t take anything personally (nothing others do is because of you); Don’t make assumptions (find the courage to ask questions and express what you really want); Always do your best (and you will avoid self-judgment, self-abuse, and regret).
“Getting Through to the Man You Love” By Michele Weiner-Davis 1998
“Good Girls Guide to Bad Girl Sex" By Barbara Keesling
“His Needs Her Needs”
“How one of you can bring the two of you together” Susan Page

“How to Achieve Happiness: Overcome Anxiety and Depression.”
“How to Get What You Want and Want What You Have” By Ph. D. John Grey, 1999
“How to satisfy a man ; And Have Him Beg for More)
”How to satisfy a woman”
“In Search of Solutions”
“In The Meantime”
"Irregular People” by Joyce Landorf
“Keep Love Alive” KLA tapes
“Lies Women Believe” (if you're a hammer, does everything look like a nail?)
“Light Her Fire” by Dr. Ellen Kreidman
“Light His Fire” by Dr. Ellen Kreidman
“Love and Respect” by Emerson Eggerichs
“Love is Never Enough” by Aaron Beck
“Love must be Tough” Dr. James Dobson
“Loving Solutions” Gary Chapman
“Mama Gena's Owner's and Operator's Guide to Men” By Regena Thomashauer
“Mars and Venus on a Date”
“Mars and Venus Starting Over”
”Marriage Breakthrough” Tapes
“Nice Girls Do” By DR.Irene Kassorla, 1980
“Not just Friends” by Shirley Glass
“Passionate Marriage” by David Schnarch (PM)
“The Power of Two”
“The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands” Dr. Laura Schlessinger, 2004
“Too Good to Leave, Too Bad to Stay" by Mira Kirshenbaum
"Torn Asunder" Recovering From Extramarital Affairs by Dave Carder & Duncan Jaenicke

“Rekindling Desire" by Barry and Emily McCarthy
“Relationship Rescue” by Philip McGraw ("Dr Phil
“Resurrecting Sex” by Ph. D. David Schnarch 2002
The Sex Starved Marriage” By Michele Weiner-Davis 2003 (SSM)
“Should I Stay or Go”
“Smart Women Finish Rich” Money management
“The Sexless Marriage”
“Surviving An Affair" by William Harley
“Rekindling Desire" by the McCarthys
“Take Back Your Marriage”
“Undefended Love" by Jett Psaris and Marlena Lyons=When we have peace inside, NOTHING they do can take it away.
“The Verbally Abusive Relationship” by Patricia Evans.
""Uncoupling" by Diane Vaughan
“Voluntary Simplicity”
“What Could He Be Thinking” by Michael Gurian
“What Every Man Wants Every Woman to Know “
“What Happy People Know”
"When Good Men Behave Badly." by David B. Wexler
"Why Does He Do That?" Its by Lundy Bancroft. Its about angry and controlling men. I found it very insightful and eye opening.
"The Work" by Byron Katie

“A Woman's Guide to Changing Her Man/Getting Through to the Man You Love”

“Women Who Love Sex” by Gina An Inquiry into the Expanding Spirit of Women's Erotic Experience" Amazon link Ogden, (
Workshop called Divorce Care
“Wounded Marriages Can be Healed; HOPE For the Separated” by Gary Chapman
“The Boy Who Wouldn't Stop Washing” by Rappaport book about OCD
“Smart Couples Finish Rich” or “The Automatic Millionaire” money management
“Coping With Erectile Dysfunction: How to Regain Confidence and Enjoy Great Sex" by Michael E., Ph.D. Metz, Barry W., Ph.D. McCarthy

Last edited by paradise_blue; 01/24/06 09:56 PM.
P
OP Offline
P
Journal,

Well another quiet day - beach, work, an outing to an early movie (New World - quite good) a quick dinner at a pub with a girlfriend and now back home with dog. He has just had a walk, mowed through a bowl of ham soup over kibble and is licking his paws....

Single life has its own rythm. I am so used to allowing someone else's schedule to take precedence, it still seems strange to be using my time as I please.

I have projects - many projects. I keep adding to the list. I am thinking of painting my office red, in fact, raspberry truffle by Benjamin Moore. It would be a big change from the soft sea green it is. I enjoy making these little decisions. I have yet to tile anything ...

Every once and awhile I have a nasty spat of angry thoughts. I am working on letting all that go. It is going to take me longer than six months to completely succeed I suspect. In each little improvement I find relief.

I did a search last night on a woman called Betty Broderick. She was mentioned on another post. Boy there is a poster girl for how anger destroys lives. I felt so sorry for her kids....

http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_murders/family/broderick/1.html

It is a disheartening story ... Love can get to the point where it is unrecognizable...

I feel strongly that whlst it may be impossible to single handedly preserve a marriage, it is very possible to single handedly accurately preserve your memories of a marriage - unbiased. Life is change ... change is life - the currency you keep is memory... You can make yourself truly poor by not cherishing what you remember....

I make an effort to remember things that make me smile. For example, my husband made the most amazing faces shaving. I use to stand next to him in the morning and mimic them one by one... It was one of my favourite things to do and I continued to do it for many years.... I can picture our very young faces in the mirror and our not so young faces in the mirror..

Moments like that are worth remembering - they give you balance.

Last edited by paradise_blue; 01/25/06 10:14 PM.
D
D
Hello Paradise,

How's things up in the frosty north? A red office? Sounds good, but boy will it be tough to cover in a few years. You dont see many rooms painted that color unless you frequent the bordello's here in Nevada. What a surprise that I might know that huh! Friends told me about it,honest!!!

Safari girl has me pegged already. I'm the wounded soul and she is miss single and independent. She went thru an infidelity 7 years ago with a SO. Found him in her bed one night with a cocktail waitress from the tavern down the street. Yes I probed a little too deeply at dinner the other night and it was a little awkward. She is very straight forward and honest and I like that. I did feel bad because I could tell just thinking back like that upset her greatly. I sent her flowers the next day to try and make up for being nosy and upsetting her. I sensed something was holding her back and I just got more than I bargained for in the answer. Not that it changed anything, just that now I know why she wants to go slow too.

Eibrab sure sounded good didn't she? I'm glad she got away to a sunny, tropical resort and had some fun. I have one last day of hunting left this season on Saturday and then it officially becomes golf season. Not anywhere near as much fun or as entertaining for the dog but it does wonders for putting my focus on something other than work or the EX. I had the weirdest dream last night, nightmare really. I dreamt that the EX was suddenly sitting beside me in my bed and talking to me. I don't remember what she was saying but all I could think was why would my son let her in? I woke up and he and his girlfried were in the living room horsing around and I had to get up and clear my head. It just seemed so real. Your mind can and does play some weird games doesn't it?

Sleep well and I hope all is well for the dog too!

Dukhuntr

P
OP Offline
P
Hi Dukhuntr,

Very frosty is right... my outside thermometer is reading 15 F ...Brrr.

It is only 5.30 a.m. here. I am sitting here - drinking cold Starbucks coffee and wearing new shoes. I bought them yesterday - they are seriously cute - fancy cut embossed stone pattern - spiffy! Shoe therapy... cheap and effective!

I am planning my day. I want to do a road trip this weekend and I have lots to do - to be organized to go away.

You'll be happy to hear that I have a working washing machine.. it is rubdubing in the background. It still needs a service call but it is functioning with very small loads. Clean sheets, clean towels, clean socks... life is bliss...

It is really too bad that they don't allow dogs on the golf course. They would really enjoy it. I find I have a bias against anywhere or anything that excludes dogs. I spend my money largely at stores where dog is welcome. I dine at restaurants on the patio or where there is a way to keep him close and in eye contact.

I had lunch last week at a very chichi store with its own restaurant. Dog was tied out in the foyer but he could see me. One of Canada's high society walked in, to the sound of my dog yowling because we were getting ready to go - and he wanted to make sure he didn't get left behind. It made the whole room smile. They make us more humane I think.

I cross country ski with my dog frequently - but I have to bushwack because most of the nordic centres don't allow dogs. In the Yukon they do. Skorring is big up there. Skiing with three or more dogs tied to your waist pulling you along. You really move!

Last time I was up that way, my brother and I mushed - each with our own dog sled. We went out with a very experienced musher. It was a fantastic day and I would do it again in a heartbeat. The dogs actually poop while they are running - at times you are dodging flying @#$@#... I was told I was a natural musher - now there is an alternate career path that would be a change of pace!

I have only dreamt once of my Mr. Midnight. Funny, very often he seems to occupy my waking thoughts but no dreams. My mother dreams of my Dad. I haven't yet. Again he is in my waking thoughts every day.

You should keep a pad and pencil by the bed. Perhaps next time you will be able to note what she was saying to you.

I wonder if your wife is having a Mid Life Crisis. Women have them too. I may have one yet! I have been reading alot about them as of late.

I should go... Fresh coffee is ready and you know who is whining to go to the beach! If we move it we will catch the dawn.

PB

Last edited by paradise_blue; 01/26/06 11:49 PM.
P
OP Offline
P
Journal,

A full busy day, just in from a walk with the dog to the skating ring. We took a tennis ball in the hope it would be deserted and we could play slip slide.. No such luck there was still a handful of skaters out.

One young man in particular was mesmerizing to watch - all fluid grace and power, twirling, jumping and gliding in the half shadows cast by the street lamps.

I like this particular walk. I use to do it nightly with hubby. I can still see him running around the rink chasing the dog sliding falling more than dog does.

I am enjoying single life but it is lonely too. We are off to bed to curl up with a very good book I just started - The Mature Mind by Gene Cohen. His main premise is that aging is actually good for your brain. That years of life experience actually make the neuron structures more complex, allowing for more agile creative thought. There is also the suggestion that as you get older you become more positive. Interesting...

Dog wants to play. He is biting my toes and pulling my socks off. Time for me to shut down the computer and pull out his toys....

B
B
Hello!

I just registered today, but have been following your posts for months now. I wanted to let each of you know how inspiring you have been to me. I truly admire your strength and unwavering hope. What wonderful people you each seem.

Following your posts has been a treasure for me. Thank you!

beachgirl

P
OP Offline
P

Hi beachgirl68,

You are right there are some very nice people hanging about this little cyber corner. I am glad you decided to join us.

Welcome.

I am sure you are not here by choice. I am sorry for whatever happened that brings you here. You are right, this is an excellent site and hope abounds.

I am just getting ready to do a road trip. With a six hour drive ahead of me, I must be brief.

I hope everyone has a great weekend.

Cheers,

PB

P
OP Offline
P
Journal,

It is 5.30 a.m. I had a very restless night. Sometimes, our (now my) king size bed seems like a football field and I feel lost in it.

The weekend was lovely, a long drive there and a long drive back but the in between part was great fun. I visited with very old very dear friends. Staying with them always feel like I have come home in a way. We went to a home renovation show yesterday. They are building an addition. I fell in love with a fancy glass sink. It speaks volumes about your changing state when you start to covet plumbing.

When they ask how I am doing - I say rapidly adapting. It sound positive. I like to be positive. It would be even better if it were true.

It is over six months and I still have moments where I don't believe any of this is real. I have other moments where I realize there were definite signs of a sea change happening that I must have been deliberately blind too.

For my husband 50th birthday, I threw a big roof top party, cooked for a week, got up at 6.00 am. to decorate the room. It was huge success. My friend that I visited this weekend knew the night of his birthday party just by looking at them. Sometimes you just don't want to see.

My OW thinks I have lost and that she has triumphed. I can tell by the way she looks at me. There is victory in her smiles. Pittman would describe her as a female philanderer. It makes me blink. There is no triumph whatsoever in hurting someone else. If you think there is - you are truly deluded.

When I ponder it I guess we are changing each and every moment. Our past is full of emerging and evolving versions of ourselves. I can remember very clearly all my husband's earlier selves. I loved each and every one of them.

His new self, I can't love. He is changing into the kind of vain, ego at large, 35 year old wannabe pushing 60, I avoid at parties. They are legion, fancy car, trophy wife, all the toys and incapable of coming up with one sentence that is truly worth lisening to.

It breaks my heart to watch it happen. Yet I can do absolutely nothing it seems to stop it.

Instead, I will think more of what I can do something about. I can buy that sink and have a great looking bathroom. I can tackle what I have been avoiding - a mountain of paper work - necessary to wind down my involvement in the company. Perhaps the sink first....

Last edited by paradise_blue; 01/30/06 07:41 AM.
D
D
Hey Paradise,

I don't think I've ever heard you so down. What can the lowly dukhuntr do to pep you up a little? Tell you embarassing stories about my reentry into the dating world? Nah, you've heard most of those. Haven't heard any good jokes lately. How about I just listen to what's bugging you and offer a friendly ear? You have such a sharp and perceptive mind Midnight's mid-life blowout or whatever it is has to be driving you stark raving nuts.

Real and caring people like yourself and Holiday and Eibrab don't have these issues. You try to resolve them. Sometimes you can and sometimes, such as in my case, you don't have the ability to control or change someone else's behaviors. Accepting this was the hardest thing for me. I always thought if I did this or if I did that the EX would react in a certain way. It just doesn't happen like we would like it to all the time. I'm almost convinced now that shame plays a big part in all of this for the WS. They react and make decisions on things we can't feel or that we don't think much about because we have done nothing "wrong".

I know it has seemed like forever since the EX and I had a conversation where I was sure of where she was coming from and I'm sure if you asked her she would say the same. We are operating from totally different perspectives that are light years apart. That's the "alien" we see as BS's. That is why I just wish you could go dark with Midnight and get totally away from him for a good long while. It has done wonders for me to go dark. Any chance of that happening for you any time soon? I can actually say that I have thought more of Safari girl recently than EX. If you would have said that to me a month ago I would have told you it would never happen. When I can go a whole afternoon now without once thinking of the D or of the EX I would say it's a minor miracle. It all started for me by going dark. Healing can't really begin until you have some peace of mind, at that won't happen seeing Midnight on a regular basis even professionally. I know because I was trying to see the EX as often as possible for quite a while and hurting the whole time. Please think about doing yourself a favor and giving your mind and spirit a break by going completely dark with Midnight even if for just a month or as long as you can without risking you interests in the business. Hire a lawyer to watch over the ambulance chasing skirt and her balding little gnome Midnight while you heal up and recover the bright and caring spirit we all know is inside you.

Have a peaceful and resting sleep tonight, we are all praying for the best for you.

Last edited by dukhuntr; 01/31/06 11:08 AM.

Dukhuntr

D
D
Hello Beachgirl,

I'd like to say I'm glad you joined us but it's hard to be glad anyone is here on this board. We do try to give each other the courage and will to get thru whatever has happened and I for one treasure the advise and comfort people have offered me here. Don't be shy, tell us about youself and let us get to know you too! There will always be a caring and friendly ear to bend here.

Dukhuntr

Page 24 of 58 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 57 58

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 121 guests, and 69 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Sourdine, Abela Laye, Ardent Center, Lost@1969, Jmoor9090
71,845 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation