Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
cinnymd Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I feel like I am between a rock and a hard place. I understand that Bible tells you to leave your parents and cleave to your spouse. And although I had an A and my husband wants a D, I am still fighting for my M and hoping for reconciliation, so I am still trying to hold true to that verse. My allegiance, in my eyes, should be first and foremost to my H before my parents.

So here is my situation. My H drives a car that is in my father's name ... it was something they bought me in college and he now drives. The title was never transferred over (despite the numerous times I asked my parents to do it). My H, who was in charge of paying bills, put off paying the car insurance bill until we had more money, and the insurance company dropped us. During this time, my H was in an accident in the car registered to my parents. Because of this situation, my parents insurance company has now been involved, and they are upset at me. I have my parents calling me and yelling at me, and my brother calling me and yelling at me and calling me names. But things that they have asked could put my very fragile M in jeopardy, and I can't risk that. I love my H more than anything and I do not want to in any way disrespect him, but that means that I am allowing my family to disrespect me. I think this all would be easier on me if I had the support of my H, but right now I don't have the support of anyone.

I'm not really sure what the point of posting this was either than having a safe place to vent.

Me, the WS, 25
My H, the BS, 25
Married Sept 2003
Served with D papers Aug 2005, but still hoping to make it work

History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.
--Maya Angelou

Proud of the woman that I have become, not the events that made me become that woman.
J
J
Your parents have no excuse for treating you poorly. They contributed to the problem by failing to transfer the title as requested, under whatever misguided reason they chose. Your brother has even less reason to be involved, other than to be a [censored].

In short, your M is your top priority If that means cutting off your family, then so be it. There will always be time for reparations/recriminations later.

So work on the thumper principle. If they don't have anything nice to say, hang up. So conversations are specifically related to the accident, that are courteous and professional are acceptable, and as soon as they deterioriate, hang up.

It sounds callous, but its' not. Parent's don't get some special "privilege" to abuse their kids, and you are under no special obligation during this circumstance to "take it".

Your parents lack of understanding in this situation especially with respect to the fragility of your marriage is particularly galling. But that's their problem. Don't allow it to become yours.

E
E
Hello

I don't think you've given us enough information. You do need to put your husband first. At the same time, I do think you need to respect your parents too. For example, if you and your H have done something which hurt your parents don't you have an obligation to amend the situation. For example, if the accident is resulting in your parents being held responsible for your choices, how can this be right? I don't know if that is the situation, because you haven't given any details.

C
cinnymd Offline OP
OP Offline
C
EM...I am sorry if I didn't give you enough information. I wrote that shortly after getting of the phone with my brother. I was really upset about it and just needed to vent.

Yes, I know that it is my responsibility to amend a situation if my H and I are doing something that is hurting my parents. But should it be at the expense of my H?

if the accident is resulting in your parents being held responsible for your choices

I'm not entirely sure what you meant by them being held responsible for my choices. What choices of mine are you referring to? My choice to follow the Bible and support my H first?

I am not saying that I am trying to screw over my parents, because I am not. But I also don't want to screw over my H. What I am trying to do is help my H come to a realization of just what situation is (which is kind of hard right now since he doesn't really want to listen to me).

You said that I need to put my H first but also respect my parents. Well, there are certain situations when those two are, in fact, mutually exclusive. And if my parents are asking me to do things that are not putting my H first, then they are, in my mind, disrespecting me.

Me, the WS, 25
My H, the BS, 25
Married Sept 2003

History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.
--Maya Angelou

Proud of the woman that I have become, not the events that made me become that woman.
K
K
And if my parents are asking me to do things that are not putting my H first, then they are, in my mind, disrespecting me.

Can you be more specific? What are your parents asking you to do?

E
E
Cinnymd

I guess for example, if what you would be required to do would be to lie for your husband or to do something illegal I would definitely draw the line there. If your parents are asking you to take financial resposibility you probably should do that. If your parents want you to ask the OM to fix the car that would definitely be a problem. I'm not trying to start an argument about the bible, and Im sorry if I miscummunicated and made you think so. I felt simply that we don't have enough information to understand the situation. It would be more helpful to have more details, if you are comfortable with that.

Thanks, Em

C
cinnymd Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I can't exactly just come right out and saw what my parents are asking me to do. They certainly aren't asking OM to fix the car. They have never met OM and don't even know his name, let alone have they even met him.

I have no problem taking financial responsibility, or rather my H has no problem with it and has said he would.

I'm not quite sure what details I can provide. Suggestions?

Me, the WS, 25
My H, the BS, 25
Married Sept 2003

--Maya Angelou

E
E
Well you are asking advice on whether to do as your parents asked, which you feel could put your M in jeopardy. You seem uncomfortable sharing what they have asked you to do. It's hard to understand your situation without understanding all that, but if you are uncomfortable then I certainly respect that. You owe respect and honesty and loyalty to your H, and respect and honesty to your parents, but the loyalty definitely belongs with your H.

Good luck to you Cinnymd

C
cinnymd Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Em...I wasn't really looking for advice, because I know what I am doing as right. My loyalty is to my H. I was just looking for a place to vent, because I can't do that with my H right now.

Me, the WS, 25
My H, the BS, 25
Married Sept 2003

--Maya Angelou

C
C
I think you need to stand up for your husband but you also need to take responosibility for the probably illegal thing that has happened. You need to bear in mind that it could affect their insurance rates.

You AND your husband need to jointly take responsibility for that choice.

Been there - done that. It wasn't good. I paid a great price for that.

You need to make the situation right for everyone. And stand by your husband while you do it.

C
cinnymd Offline OP
OP Offline
C
That was kind of my plan. Stand by my H first, while taking care of the problem. The only thing is, my parents wanted me to be thoughtless of my H, and I refused. This has really strained my R with my family. My brother isn't talking to me, and I haven't talked to my parents in a few weeks too.

Me, the WS, 25
My H, the BS, 25
Married Sept 2003

--Maya Angelou

C
C

Last edited by cinderella; 11/19/05 12:30 PM.
S
S
Your husband made a mistake-- pretty big one. But you are married to him and you should choose his side. As long as your husband isn't asking you to be dishonest I say you should stick by him. Apologize to your parents for the situation they are in, tell them you are embarassed and feel irresponsible. Remind them that you love them. But tell them that you committed to this man 100% when you married him and that at the end of the day you have to take his side. Apologize that you have to take his side but be firm that that is what you HAVE to do. If they push beyond that, hang up on them or tell them you'll only accept emails till they start respecting you.

C
cinnymd Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Wow, it is interesting that it has been exactly two months to the day since I first posted that.

And it has also been two months since my parents have talked to me.

Me, the WS, 25
My H, the BS, 25
Married Sept 2003

--Maya Angelou

S
S
I sense some sarcasm or bitterness wether you did the right thing or got good advice but personally I think you did. It's a shame your parents aren't talking to you but once married, sticking by your husband-- even when he's being a [censored] is the right thing to do. Hopefully, in time, your parents will come around. The right thing to do is not always the easiest to do and I think this is one of those situations.

C
cinnymd Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I know that I did the right thing and that my parents are being immature at the moment. This week is going to be particularly hard for me though. Since things aren't still quite reconciled with my H, he is going to leave the state to spend Thanksgiving with his family and he doesn't feel comfortable having me there ... and yet I have no family of my own to spend it with. So I will be alone.

Me, the WS, 25
My H, the BS, 25
Married Sept 2003

--Maya Angelou

S
S
Say WHAT?! You stick up for him and he doesn't feel "comfortable" taking you to his parent's home?! It's a shame that he's not showing you the same respect that you showed him!

Out of curiosity, what is it that he thinks you have done that he's not ready for you to hang out with your parents yet?

C
cinnymd Offline OP
OP Offline
C
His immediate family won't even be at Thanksgiving. It is just aunts, uncles, and cousins. I am a LONG way off before interacting in any way shape or form with his immediate family.

What have I done that makes him think he is not ready for me to hang out with his parents? I had an affair and his whole family hates me because of it. They don't even know that we are working on reconciliation right now. They probably still think he is gung ho towards divorce.

Me, the WS, 25
My H, the BS, 25
Married Sept 2003

--Maya Angelou

S
S
Sounds complicated. I don't blame him for not being ready to have you at his parent's house. None the less, you did the right thing by sticking up for your husband with his situation about the car. It's terrible that they aren't speaking to you but at least you can know in your heart that you did the right thing.

C
cinnymd Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I understand that he isn't ready to have me at his parent's house, but that is not where he went for Thanksgiving. He went to his aunt's house. That is a much different situation.

Me, the WS, 25
My H, the BS, 25
Married Sept 2003

--Maya Angelou

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,079 guests, and 45 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation