Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Soolee Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi all:

What advice can you give me regarding the resources available to an unemployed, newly-separated mother of several children?

A good friend of mine has found herself in this position, and while I can't house them would like to have a list of things for her to 'check out', resources possibly available to her that she has forgotten to look into.

Thank you.

Sooly

Sooly

"Stop yappin and make it happen."
"The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you."

Me 47
DH 46
Together for 28 years.
Married 21 years.
O
O
Hi Sooly,

What skills/degrees does your friend have? Can she get back to work at least part time? I can appreciate how hard that would be as a newly separated mom with children.But many of us have had to with the changes in our lives.And IMO, money does make things easier in most respects.Does she have any financial support in place from her H? Are all the kids in school?

O

BW(me)40 DDay 10/11/03 Divorcing 'The Reformer'- enneagram type 1 ~Let Higher Minds Prevail~ --------------- ~Life isn't complicated,we make it that way~
S
Soolee Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Well, she does have some skills from years ago, but she has been a sahm for many years. She wants to find something she can do from home and is hoping that the money she gets from him and the money that will come in from working at home will suffice.

I was thinking about heat assistance and that she should apply for that. I think I need a list of things to ask her if she has looked into them, you know?

Medical Assistance
Food stamps
Heat assistance
WIC

Sooly

"Stop yappin and make it happen."
"The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you."

Me 47
DH 46
Together for 28 years.
Married 21 years.
O
O
Yeah, I guess not knowing more about her situation doesn't help.Is she very low on funds? There are companies that offer payment plans and assistance for low income families especially since this winter promises to be hard for may families with oil/gas prices sky high.

I am going to try to only use my wood stove this winter and not touch my thermostat since the wood stove heats the enitre house and it's a lot cheaper to heat with wood than oil.

Your friend should look into sharping her past skills and try working before a home busniess I think.That income could come in right away versus trying to start up her business.That is unless she can get going on it sooner than later.

Also,depending on how much her income is,she could or may not be eligible for assistance(food,utilities,etc).She would have to look into that herself.Also getting work outside the home might enable her to get some medical insurance if her H doesn't cover her and the kids(he should be).

O

BW(me)40 DDay 10/11/03 Divorcing 'The Reformer'- enneagram type 1 ~Let Higher Minds Prevail~ --------------- ~Life isn't complicated,we make it that way~

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 493 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation