Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 27,069
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 27,069
As many of you know, I'm up in Seattle, trying to help my dad and mom. Dad is 91 and is dying of heart failure/prostate cancer that has spread/kidney failure.

He has been blessed to have many specialists that have given him good care and all of the modern medical advances. Unfortunately, he is still dying.

Dad, mom, and I have spoken to the specialists. They have done lots of tests. In fact, every time dad goes in, they do more tests. The doctors, bless them, have come to realize that nothing more can be done. They seem at a loss.

So I checked around, and called up a home care bunch from one of the local hospitals. WOW - what a change of outlook!!! The first nurse came and spent all day. She took a history, and asked dad hundreds of questions. And she has a PLAN (I know you MBers can relate to that).

She is a young thing, and at first I was was skeptical. But she quickly dispelled my doubts. It turns out that LOTS can be done. We can make simple changes in the home to make it possible for dad to stay instead of going to a nursing home.

There are things that can be done for the ulcers on his legs, for his unsteadiness on his feet, for his itching skin, his lack of appetitite, his inability to sleep. My mom was THRILLED. We are not expecting miracles, or surgery to cure this.

We know that he will die - but he is still living. And that is where my gratitude for nurses come in. They are not going to be the hero surgeon who snatches him back from the grim reaper. They are not going to be the doc who prescribes a miracle medicine. But they ARE going to be beside our family to get us through this and give my dad the best quality of life possible.

I think nurses are underpaid and under appreciated. I just want to let any of you know that you are much more important to families than you will ever realize.

Joined: Dec 1969
Posts: 3,073
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Dec 1969
Posts: 3,073
Amen Believer! I love me some nurses!

Thank you!


Money can buy you a fine dog, but only love can make him wag his tail. ~ Kinky Friedman
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 27,069
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 27,069
Susan - I love me some nurses too. Another one came by today with more suggestions. I've heard more stuff from the nurses than from the docs - not bashing the docs, they did what they could.

Joined: Dec 1969
Posts: 3,073
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Dec 1969
Posts: 3,073
My Dad died on the Thursday night before Good Friday, so I've been thinking of him this week.

I had been to see him the weekend before. My last words to him were "I love you and I will see you again soon".

I'm glad I had that time with him and I'm sure you are glad to be able to be there with your Dad right now.

Blessings and peace to you and your Dad.


Money can buy you a fine dog, but only love can make him wag his tail. ~ Kinky Friedman
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,707
L
Member
Member
L Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,707
My Dad died two days ago, on Monday afternoon. He was 98, died of congestive heart failure, also had prostate cancer. I took the "red eye" there Friday night and stayed with him until he died. He's lived in Assisted Living since January, in his own apartment. Although he was well medicated, he was fairly lucid until close to the end.

All the staff was wonderful, especially the ones who worked with him directly - the nurses' aides, housekeeping, maintenance staff, and the Hospice nurses who kept him comfortable until the end. I am so grateful to all of them. I'm a nurse myself and was very impressed with their kindness, caring, and support.

I flew home late last night... I've been visiting every 3-4 weeks since January because I knew this was coming. Although I'd already begun grieving, his death, the finality, is overwhelming. My B, SIL, and I already pretty much cleaned out his apartment. My Mom died 10 years ago of breast cancer so now there's no "home" to return to anymore... after one last visit for the memorial service.


FBS, D'day 12/00 * NC since 5/02 * divorce final 5/06 * property settlement 9/06 What you can do or think you can do, begin it. For boldness has Magic, Power, and Genius in it. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,885
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,885
Letstry - sorry for your sad loss. It sounds like your dad had a wonderful long life. It must be hard when there is no longer a 'home' to return to. Blessings to you. TT

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,707
L
Member
Member
L Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,707
Thanks, TT.


FBS, D'day 12/00 * NC since 5/02 * divorce final 5/06 * property settlement 9/06 What you can do or think you can do, begin it. For boldness has Magic, Power, and Genius in it. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,141
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,141
believer,

I agree.

Not just the nurses, but also the caregivers that do all the housework and cooking and help, as the nurses do.

The people that took care of my Mom, who died this last October, and the people that took care of my Dad, 10 years ago, were so awesome. I am especially thankful to one wonderful Christian gal who took care of my mom, and was there for me, her and my family until the end. She still calls me.

Glad you have some help, and people who care.

Life is good, and your Dad is going to be more comfortable now.

God Bless and keep the nurses and caregivers. There will be a VERY special place for them in heaven. Hospice takes some very special people.

So glad you are there for your dad and mom at this special time, believer.

God Bless,

Love in Christ,
Miss M


me: FBS
H: FWS
Fully recovered
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 10,107
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 10,107
Believer

Palliative care is far more important at life's end than curative care IMO.

Good palliative care makes the last drops of life well worth drinking.

A blessing upon you, your folks and the nurses who are helping.


MB Alumni

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 301 guests, and 41 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Countfunkula, mollye14, Pansu, sakyt, George Mixflicke
72,372 Registered Users
Latest Posts
What happens if we both have developed aversions?
by Samuel Connely - 10/03/26 02:12 PM
Separated/Dating
by mark_foster - 09/20/26 04:14 PM
Separation
by elambush - 09/04/26 11:24 PM
beverage sizes in large office
by elambush - 09/04/26 11:22 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics133,659
Posts2,323,617
Members72,372
Most Online9,682
May 13th, 2026
deneme bonusu
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 2025, Marriage Builders, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0