Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 51 of 54 1 2 49 50 51 52 53 54
S
OP Offline
S
Hey LG,

2x4 taken. I don't FORGET to say thank you. HE does things, in the morning, after I've left for work, and I see them when I get home. He doesn't arrive home until nearly 3 hours later, so I sometimes forget to say 'Thank you' first. It's not about withholding, it's about my son being all over him when he walks in the door, then talking about our days, then dinner, then when we have a moment to sit and think, I remember he did such and such and then thank him.

When he does do something, and I'm actually there for it, I thank him right away.

I probably should have elaborated on this yesterday. I withhold nothing these days. Actually, he takes time every night to spend with DS. I told him last night that I thought he was doing a great job connecting with him every day.

It's weird, when I do thank him, he shrugs his shoulders and makes a noise, that I may not be able to reproduce in TYPE, but it's like, 'nnhhhn', like he's say 'it was nothing' in short speak. HE sometimes even seems uncomfortable. Not that his reaction is going to stop me from being who I am and being grateful, nope, not. I am who I is

Thanks for checking in LG. I will try harder to make the 'thank yous' as he enters the house instead of when the dust settles.

Me-BS-38
Married 1997; son, 8yo
Divorced April 2009
B
B
The admiration thing was so hard for me. I knew that is what my ex craved, but to be quite frank, there was little to admire about him during the affair.

I think it might be good to tell your husband that he is such a wonderful father - not like so many other men. Saying he is doing a good job might make him feel that you are watching him. I don't know - I was a miserable failure at it.

SL, I've been looking for a post that I saw in Recovery several years ago, and can't find it. It was by a woman whose husband was like yours. She continued living a fun life and making a pleasant home. He was in his cave and wouldn't participate at first, but finally did. So far, I can't find it, but it was great. I'll keep looking. The search feature here sucks.

F
F
Hi SL what I posted if you read it was for RIN. Got confused.

Hope things are well popping in saying way to be the Lighthouse!!!!

Last edited by frognomore; 10/12/07 10:16 AM.

BS 38
FWW 35
D Day 10/03
Recovery started 11/06
3 boys 12, 8 and a new baby

When life hands you lemons make lemonade then try to find the person life hands vodka and have a party.
S
OP Offline
S
Saying he is doing a good job might make him feel that you are watching him

Good point Believer. I dunno what to say or how to say sometimes, I just know that I want to say something. I certainly don't want to sound condenscending.

Let's put it this way. Lately, I have noticed that PWC is taking more time to spend with DS, playing games, pillow fighting, doing homework, talking to him, and so many other things. I want him to know that I am SEEING, not necessarily like a watch dog, but recognizing the change; seeing him DO with his son, and how I really do admire him for that. I REALLY DO. It creates a happy feeling , for me, when I hear my son laugh with his dad, and hear his dad laughing with him. Or when they are doing his homework together.

I'm finding my way, and appreciate all the calls on what I've been saying. I continue to change daily.

Frog, thanks for popping in! Hope all is well with you and your brood.

Me-BS-38
Married 1997; son, 8yo
Divorced April 2009
C
C
Saying he is doing a good job might make him feel that you are watching him

Probably true and it could sound condenscending.

But if you said:

"Wow you are amazing with DS. The laughing, the games, the homework help. I love listening to you both laughing or how he responds to your help with his homework. That really makes me happy."

Just a thought.

Testosterone boys! Testosterone! It ain’t just for nose, ear and back hair anymore!
L
L
S/L:

Wanted you to know that I was pulling for you.

I wanted to bring over something that schoolbus posted on LovingAlong's thread in the Recovery section.

Even if your FWS isn't quite inthe same place as LA's, schoolbus does address some of the issues, nonetheless.

LA,

People always tell me I'm patient. I don't think of myself as patient. Inside, I'm tapping my mental foot, and screaming, "hurry up" most of the time ;-)

Truthfully, my job requires more patience than Job. Sometimes, with some of my patients, I do the same task, over and over and over.......countless times. Sometime 150 or 200 times before they are able to get it right. And I have to be upbeat, cheering them on. It gets tough sometimes, and inside my head, there's little ol' me, screaming = "Man, what can I do to get you to get this?????"

On the outside, I show nothing but the cheerleader. The "patience". So inside, I guess I'm yelling at LA, saying,

LISTEN to your husband in ways that don't involve what he

SAYS.

Because your husband speaks volumes in what he does.

So me patient? I'm really not. What I tell them is that I don't have patience, I have hope and knowlege - and together they tell me that the future can be better if we want it to be better. All we have to do is change the things we do that make today lousy!

Easier said than done, I know.

Let's look at what he does.

He buries his head in a pillow - yes, how much more could he possibly communicate the hurt he himself felt and remorse for what he had done? He cried, he could not even look you in the face. He hid his own face - tried to bury it in fact - rather than look at you. Wow. A treatise on his own guilt and remorse.

You look for words, but he gives you so much more than words could ever say. LOOK for it.

He plans a vacation, the effort to give you time away, together, to make memories of loving times, to rebuild, to reconnect, to give you new moments to look at and say

"this was good".

But he didn't use words......

You look for words.

Instead, look for what he DOES. Because his communication is in his action. He is the type of person who gives by acts of service, by acts of giving to you. His communication is by body language, obviously - but you look for words. Try looking past the words. Listen to his words, yes, but listen to what

HE MEANS

and not the exact words he uses.

Listen to his touch
His actions
When he brings you coffee
Or mows the grass

Because this man you married "talks" in other ways.

So your change is that you need to "listen" in other ways.

As for the question you asked about recovering the marriage and going on, and never talking about what happened.

I think that if you lay the groundwork, and if you are patient (there's that word), then something magical will happen right before your eyes. You just don't trust that it will right now.

You're like I am.

Inside, you are screaming "HURRY" and "TALK TO ME", only your insides are spilling over to the outside.

Hold it back. Let it rest for a bit.

Because the thing that needs to happen is that your husband needs to have time, without pressure, to let this thing rise up on its own to be told. He will tell you. But you are not safe. Not yet.

You still don't "hear" him right. And he knows that.

So, put on the new ears. And keep the inside screamer from spilling out - let your patient side show, the loud one stays inside. (Like me.)

The magical thing happens ..........

He feels safe.
And months down the road, he opens up the door.
And you get a moment - and you take

ONLY A MOMENT

and keep him safe

to talk a bit about the affair and his feelings. When this happens, don't make it a marathon. Let him lead you. Be gentle. It keeps him safe, and ensures a return trip to the talking table.

And ensures he will open up again.

You see, once he knows he is safe, you WILL talk about this. You won't go on forever and not talk about it. But you probably will go a couple of months until he's sure you aren't going to leave him, and that you won't LB. And that you listen and hear his MESSAGE, and not just his phraseology or semantics or one specific word.

Give him credit when he does something wonderful.

You hang in there, LA. It sounds like the book is a good one for you.

And start touching your husband again.

Because he liked it. And so did you. Don't run away from him.

Don't run away from love.

One last thing:

There are two ways of looking at things, I think.

You can come from a position of fear.
You can come from a position of love.

When you talk to him, make the choice - fear or love - first, then talk to him.

If you choose love - watch the difference in the way your conversations go. You won't believe your eyes. Or your marriage.
SB

ANd I like Chrisner's way of talking about your FWS interactions with DS. And that's what I'm talking about when I talked about thank you's. The thank you's are not "thank you's" per se, they are the admiration for doing FWS doing the right things and noting them at that time.

Hang in there!

LG

H
H
I often feel that my show of any weakness, be it depression, or physical ailment, causes PWC (now and in the past) to find me UNATTRACTIVE. I even thought this before the A's. I was always so STRONG, physically and mentally

So true in my case also. When we first moved to our new location and my new manager position I was having a difficult personnel issue at work which was the first time I've had to deal with something like that. It was taking it's toll on me (part of the reason I wasn't there for her in the time prior to the A) and I remember distinctly one time WS saying to me "man up". How's that for supporting EN's. I'm in a tough situation at work and that's the support I get. I'm sure I LB'd a number of times after that which was perfect timing for her to start the A.

Sorry to thread jack. Just wanted to share.

Me-BH 51 FWW-51
Three sons, S28 from first marriage, S23 and S19
A started Mar 07
D-day 9-4-07
NC 4-08
Recovered Nicely.
S
OP Offline
S
Hey LOUSY GOPHER! Thanks for bringing SB's post over. I have been listening, seeing and, mostly, being patient and waiting. I can't predict the future, but I can try to achieve a better one with positive input into the M.

Hopeforus, thanks for remarking on my words regarding my 'weakness'. This part of my existence has taken a pretty hard shove into the foreground of my life recently.

My MRI results suggest cervical myelopathy. Scary terms for me, because it suggests slow degeneration. FEAR, big FEAR on many fronts right now. I have been referred to a Hopkin's neurosurgeon, and am awaiting his teams call for a consult. Seems that they are conservative ways to treat the disease, including physical therapy, and wearing a neck brace, but surgery could be the only cure. That cure may only halt the damage that is in progress and not fix the pain that I have. I've grown accustomed to a certain level of pain, so I'm not nearly as bothered by it as EXTREME pain.

Some days my arm is a little achy, some days it burns and my fingers and joints in my arm and hands hurt. I just keep thinking, "Geez, I'm only 35!"

I know people who have had spinal fusion surgery and are doing very well, still very active, run, play, do yoga, etc.

I've had problems with my lower back for about 10 years now, with the most problems occurring since the birth of my son 5 years ago. Now, I have constant pain in my neck, and, as Guy Smiley would say, I feel like my shoulders are attached to my ears. I dunno, before all of the A stuff, I would just sweep this away, and say I was weak if I complained and just to suck it up. Right now, I'm scared, and don't much feel like doing that.

Another FEAR is that I will have to have surgery. It's a scary place for docs to be slicing and dicing; near the spinal cord. Another fear, is FWH feeling 'trapped' in this M with a 'broken' wife.

I just don't know if I can rely on him to care for me and NOT feel burdened by my care. Then I think about his mother, her ALS, and his father taking care of her. PWC felt like his dad got the [censored] end of the stick in that situation (his mother was cheating on his father prior to onset of the disease). I guess we'll cross whatever bridge...

I've heard of marriages breaking up when one spouse shows these signs of weakness, so it wouldn't surprise me if PWC was afraid too. I know of one woman who was diagnosed with breast cancer, and after her sugery, her husband left, stating he couldn't handle it.

I have a nerve conductivity test tomorrow and electromyogram. I get to have needles inserted into my muscles and FLEX for them. YIKES!!! Not looking forward to that. I took the day off of work, so I dont' have to deal with that, at least.

Me-BS-38
Married 1997; son, 8yo
Divorced April 2009
S
S
Whoa, SL, that's heavy stuff. I can't imagine having to deal with that on top of all the other stuff you have going, but if there's anyone I know that can do it, it's you.

And I guess it's not like you have a choice. Head in the sand only works for so long. I invariably get really thirsty and wind up with lots of sand in my mouth. For days afterwards, I'm spitting the stuff out.

(((SL)))

S
OP Offline
S
Not to mention what gets in your ears, BLECHY!

Nope, i'm not the head in the sand type. I can't just sweep this one away, it's serious and very real. I'm going to face it and keep my chin up. I hear a positive attitude in the face of adversity is half the battle.

Me-BS-38
Married 1997; son, 8yo
Divorced April 2009
S
S
Attitude is Everything

"The longer I live, themore I realize the impact of Attitude on life.

Attitude is more important than facts.

It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than success, than what other people think or say or do.

It is more important than appearance, gift, or skill.

It will make or break an organization, a school, a home.

The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the Attitude we will embrace for that day.

We cannot change our past.

We cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way.

We cannot change the inevitable.

The only thing we can do is play on the string we have, and that is our Attitude.

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.

And so it is with you.

We are in charge of our Attitudes."

--Charles R.Swindoll

S
OP Offline
S
I'm still not looking forward to the NEEDLES!!!

Me-BS-38
Married 1997; son, 8yo
Divorced April 2009
S
OP Offline
S
Well Howdy all,

I just got back from the doc's office (or should I say Dr. Mengele's lair) and have been thorougly zapped, poked and prodded. Doc says I have 'denervation' in my left arm and some muscle atrophy. He recommends surgery. I have yet to hear from the Hopkins team, so I will await their call.

The test WAS painful, but survivable. The NCS test is done by shocking you on special nerve points in the arm (or wherever you've got 'issues'). I keep getting weird impulses in my arm now. WEEEEEIRD!

The Electromyogram in the one with the NEEDLE! It didn't really hurt until he inserted it in my lower arm, wrist and hand. ZOIKS! That smarted!

PWC has been asking questions about the procedures and has been a bit softer with his approach, which is nice.

Head still held high. I'm scared, but what other choice do I have but to face the fear.

Me-BS-38
Married 1997; son, 8yo
Divorced April 2009
S
S
(((SL)))

S
OP Offline
S
Thanks Guy, I really appreciate your support.

Me-BS-38
Married 1997; son, 8yo
Divorced April 2009
W
W
Hey, SL. I don't have much to offer, just wanted to say I'm thinking of you.

That sucks to have medical issues right in the middle of this. Hard to be at the top of your game with so much happening.

Keep at it....you CAN do it and we are here with you every step of the way. Give me a call if you need to.

Fox

S
OP Offline
S
Thanks bunches, Foxy lady! I'll keep you guys in mind if I need you. My biggest fears lie ahead, so I just may take you up on that.

Me-BS-38
Married 1997; son, 8yo
Divorced April 2009
C
C
Hi SL!

Sorry about your back and arm. That is so debilitating. I strained and hurt my hip joint last December and January shoveling away the 2-weeks of blizzards in Denver. It took most of 6-weeks to get better. It was tough to do a real good Plan A when I was squealing like a little stuck piggy every time I sat down or got up. Or walked. Or stood still. Or breathed.

I hope you get better soon and find the right path to healing for you.

[b][color:"red"]{{{{SL}}}[/color]

(((((:o.. Pain Pill Popping Marge Simpson Emoticon

Testosterone boys! Testosterone! It ain’t just for nose, ear and back hair anymore!
L
L
SIlent:

Ouch on the pain.

Double Ouch on PWS's response to prior issues.

That's something to worry about!

Hope you get better soon!

LG

S
OP Offline
S
Thanks Chrisner. I'll be stealing that pain pill popping emoticon now, thank you

(((((:o.. Pain Pill Popping Marge Simpson Emoticon

I particularly enjoy the drool...

LG, yeah, I have a little concern over PWC's past response, but will not hold him to it. I'll let him show me what's to be NOW. It's a very shaky time, and to pile surgery on top of this may break us, who knows. It may bring us closer together. I'm not counting any chickens right now, y'know?

I will get better, it's going to happen, it just may be a long and winding road to get there. I'm a glass half full kinda gal, so I'll try to find some shortcuts to make the journey faster; we'll see.

Me-BS-38
Married 1997; son, 8yo
Divorced April 2009
Page 51 of 54 1 2 49 50 51 52 53 54

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 433 guests, and 42 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation