Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2034712 03/28/08 07:47 AM
C
OP Offline
C
I picked up a classic I last read in college -- Jane Eyre -- and read a short bio of the author. She had fallen in love with a married man. She wrote a novel that reveals classic fog talk. The WS views the BS as a "maniac," someone who stands in the way of his happiness.

I reread this novel with a very different perspective from when I last read it, from the perspective of a BS trying to understand how her husband could have been so cruel and thoughtless and the OP could have been so cruel and thoughtless. They both had to turn me into someone who didn't deserve to have been born, someone who was less than human.

This novel was turned into a movie, which I haven't seen.

Cherishing

Last edited by Cherishing; 03/28/08 07:49 AM.
W
W
Hi Cher,

I have often found "infidelity" plot lines in movies and books that I missed when I read them prior to being a victim of infidelity.

Note that Jane Eyre is a sequel to the story of how the male protagonist(WH) met the BW. I believe it is the Sargasso Sea or something like that.

Who

I am the BW,
He is the FWH
D-Day: 12/02/03

Recovered
S
S
I read Jane Eyre when I was in sixth grade, so yes, I'm sure I'd have a different perspective if I reread it now. The information about the author is very revealing though isn't it? The BW is depicted as "insane"....wow....It's an OW's dream....ha.

H
H
okay, not to be a "Lit major" here- and I wasn't, but I love this era of novel and have read many many novels of this era, both by the Bronte sisters and other "Gothic" writers.

This is the era of the gothic novel, haunted castles and ghosts, mad people, imprisonment, Byronic heroes, etc.

Charlotte Bronte, according to her biography, WAS in love with a married man, however nothing happened, of course.

the book "The Wide Sargasso Sea" was written as a "pre-qual," but NOT by Charlotte Bronte. It explicitly says in Jane Eyre that "madness" ran in the family and was not shared with Mr Rochester until after the marriage so that he would still marry her.

Also, she was in love with Mr Heger, the married man, in 1843-44, Jane Eyre was not written until 1847 (after two other books, Villette and The Professor) were written.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Last edited by howtoheal; 03/28/08 09:45 AM.

I'm the FWW EA 2/06-3/06 NC 3/06 BH still not sure
C
OP Offline
C
Adultery is so obviously reprehensible that, I believe, those who have affairs have to justify their behavior. Jane Eyre gave me some insight into how people might justify their affairs.

My husband's lover's husband told that his wife had said I was crazy. I don't dispute that I probably looked crazy given how I was treated. I questioned my own sanity and started going to therapy because I was so upset about his friendship with this woman.

Cherishing

Last edited by Cherishing; 03/28/08 11:21 AM.

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 676 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation