Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
cipher Offline OP
OP Offline
C
My xWW finally admitted that I was right (a occurrence that only happens once every year or two, so it's notable in and of itself) that she needs help with her erratic behaviour and emotions. She took her first Zoloft yesterday.

The whys are explaned here.

Anyone care to share their knowledge or experience with Zoloft? Is there anything I should be worried about or aware of? I know there is an increase of what they call suicidality with these types of drugs for one thing.

I believe most of her issues stem from depression and post-traumatic stress. Did Zoloft help or hurt you?

Last edited by cipher; 05/08/08 12:39 PM. Reason: title change

There is a time for departure even when there's no certain place to go.
C
cipher Offline OP
OP Offline
C
This puts me in mind of another question. ADs are often recommended for BSs, but I've seldom seen talk advocating them for the WS or what to expect from a WS on ADs. Anyone have a story?

P
P
Ummm. Well. Zoloft is used to treat premature ej in men. What they don't tell you that it does this by taking away your sex drive and making it very difficult to "finish the deed" once you do get things going.

So that's a side effect.

D-Day 28 Feb 06
Plan D (Not by choice) - 24 March 06

DD6
DS4(Twin1)
DS4(Twin2)

She moved away with the kids April 08. I contested it and got a lot more time with my kids. She's unhappy that I want to stay involved in their lives and don't settle for being an "every other weekend" dad.

Never going to happen.

Ongoing personal recovery through the help of friends, family, and DC United Soccer!
C
cipher Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hey Pomdbd3,

You know my current situation. You don't think a lack of sex drive would blunt xWW desire to get out of my house do you?

D
D
Hi. I'm newer here in the sense that while I have been here for a while reading everyone else's post, I haven't really done much of my own. My marriage, or should I say, the destruction of it, still seems so personal and private to talk about, but it helps to read about others' stories for now. Enough rambling though. I did want to post my input on this one since I have experience. I've taken this AD before and had pretty good results. Actually, the whole suicide worry is much more for teens and children where it can have the opposite result rather than helping. In adults, those instances are rare. Your sex drive is hindered while you're on it and you kind of operate in a state where you feel a little tired, kind of like your head is in a cloud. It did wonders though to improve my mood and help me deal with things. Dealing with a few side effects was much better than the alternative of how I was feeling. I hope that helps a little.

P
P
I was on effexor recently which did wonders.

I don't think they otherwise do much because the source of the depression is situational (you know, you find out your spouse is screwing someone else and wants to leave you and ruin you financially and take away the kids).

But being depressed over a long period of time does affect your brain and AD's do help you get over the hump.

D-Day 28 Feb 06
Plan D (Not by choice) - 24 March 06

DD6
DS4(Twin1)
DS4(Twin2)

She moved away with the kids April 08. I contested it and got a lot more time with my kids. She's unhappy that I want to stay involved in their lives and don't settle for being an "every other weekend" dad.

Never going to happen.

Ongoing personal recovery through the help of friends, family, and DC United Soccer!
S
S
I have taken zoloft off and on for many years and never had a problem with it and for the most part the "certain sexual side effects" ususally only effect men.

My H took Paxil and had the "certain sexual side effects" which for him is was that it did not get as hard. He quit taking it because he said the "certain sexual side effects" were depressing him more.

I've been on Z since last October. I have not had 'certain side effects' (I wish I did - I'd be less depressed about never getting any). The side effects I have had have been acathesia (can't sit still...I get the Jimmy Legs), and loose bowel.

Has it helped? Maybe. I'm depressed because of my failing marriage. I'm still depressed.

Am I less depressed than I would be without it? Maybe. I can deal with the side effects I've had, and in a way it's part of my Plan A (W thinks it prevents mood swings...feh, maybe), so I'll keep taking it until I think it's doing more harm than possible good.

As far as the connection with suicide, I recall reading in the information sheet that this is mostly associated with teens. If you're over 30 I don't think it's a significant risk.

V
V
Originally Posted by cipher
Hey Pomdbd3,

You know my current situation. You don't think a lack of sex drive would blunt xWW desire to get out of my house do you?

I've been reading your thread. Haha and I'm not so sure it's it's your xWW's sex drive that's the problem wink She's addicted to that emotional high and all that...yada, yada, yada.

You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

The person who is always finding fault seldom finds anything else.

I pity the fool. - Mr. T
C
cipher Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Ayane
I've been reading your thread. Haha and I'm not so sure it's it's your xWW's sex drive that's the problem wink She's addicted to that emotional high and all that...yada, yada, yada.

I happen to agree with you about her being an addict. I think she's been using the emotional high to self-medicate her depression and has been for years.

I wonder if the ADs won't slow, if not stop, her wandering eye, but I don't think that suddenly removing her reasons for wanting to escape reality will make a well established addiction evaporate.

M
M
I sold Zoloft for Pfizer. I can answer any questions you might have as I was responsible for educating doctors about the drug.

I would suggest that you sincerely read up on AD's before taking anything. They have been shown to only be efficacious in the most severe depressions. There are studies that the pharm companies hid for years that show no difference from placebo for most classes.

Exercise in a group setting has been shown to be effective with only positive side effects.

MEDC

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 731 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation