Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16
B
B
Well Jerry I DO believe I'm capable of an affair. I believe every one is. The ONLY protection I have is maintaining my boundaries and understanding adultery and how SUBTLE those shifts are helps as well.

Almost every WS if they could see the end from the beginning would flee adultery - that's a benefit of being MB educated.

Sin comes candy coated Jerry - like the frog on the stove - boundaries shift without you realising it until you are hooked and make an overt decision.

Hmmmmm, so why do you beleive that the ws would stop dropping those boundaries, unless it was to facilitate the temptations they are faced with?(ahead of time)

I don't believe a wayward is THAT calculating at first until they have chosen their sin.

Me: 56 (FBS) Wife: 55 (FWW)
D-Day August 2005
Married 11/1982 3 Sons 27,25,23
Empty Nesters.
Fully Recovered.
S
S
I don't believe a wayward is THAT calculating at first until they have chosen their sin.

You're right BK. The process as I have stated is done one inch at a time, until the CHOICE is ultimately made, generally speaking, well in advance of the actual "act."

After the line is crossed, all of the calculating and deceipt are the fuel that keeps the fires of the fantasy burning.

then it becomes an addiction. An addiction to the fantasy.
JMHO.

All blessings,
Jerry

S
S
Sorry meant to notify mods

Last edited by Stellakat; 05/30/08 12:23 AM.
S
S
Stellakat

Are we having a bad night?

Whom did you wish to turn into the Mods, me or MEDC?

All blessings,'Jerry

B
B
Seeing as the reply was to ForeverHers, I'm guessing it was him Jerry. LOL.

D-Day August 2005
Empty Nesters.
Fully Recovered.
S
S
FH...so...JERRY is the name. HM...

Yes I am feeling a little aggressive tonight. Dont know why.

S
S
Oh course,
I should have guessed. That FH is such a troublemaker! laugh

All Blesiings,
Jerry

S
S
Would you like to eplore why???

Yes it's Jerry,
I don't think I've hid that.

all Blessings.
Jerry

S
S
Stellakat

Don't mess up what is good. Rreceive it as a gift laugh

all blessings,
Jerry

B
B
Originally Posted by Stellakat
I have more time and plan to be a Lifestyle Coach.

OK NOW I am really LMAO.

This will work well with your sparkling personality and bedside manner.

D-Day August 2005
Empty Nesters.
Fully Recovered.
S
S
Great point Jerry. I have to learn to recieve since it is truly a gift. I am not used to things going so well. Maybe I want to MAKE the other shoe drop before it DOES drop.

I know what it is too. I am afraid that as soon as I start getting truly content, balanced, and happy and accomplishing goals i had for years, then God is going to give me cancer again and i will die and it will all be for nothing.

I cant believe I am writing this but this is what I feel on some level...

S
S
OH,lol,lol Kahuna!!!! The cats are looking at me as I sob with laughter!!!!

Yes, I guess I am not ready for that yet!!!!!LOL!

S
S
I feel now that: If I stay miserable or at least a little bit miserable then maybe God will let me live.

This is how I feel tonight but this does not make any sense.

M
M
Members, this thread is about helping TryTooHard in MARRIAGE BUILDING. Thank you.

J
J
...never mind...

Last edited by jayne142; 05/30/08 01:35 AM. Reason: was contributing to the t/j, sorry

---actually I'm Jayne241 (I'm on a trip and neither this computer nor myself remember my original username's password!)
S
S
Actually,
I had to take my cat to the vet yesterday, and put him down.

Steelar, my MIL had lung cancer about eight years ago, and at 78 years old we thought surely this was it.

My oldest son lived in Manhatted and heard of a staute of the Virgin Mary that was weeping tears of oil from her eyes.
He went to this place and captured some of this oil in a small vile.

We put a cross over the entrance of her door, soaked in this oil.
She had her surgery and the Dr. was not very optomistic.

She refused chemo and radiation and survived eight more years with no return of cancer. I can't say what saved her, but I have my very strong beliefs!

We ultimately lost her on Christmas Eve, 2006.

God had a plan for her, as He does for all of us. His will always prevails. Talk to Him!!

All Blessings,
Jerry

S
S
So sorry about the cat. I would feel terrible when that happens to mine. Shall I erace my posts? They are not helping the OP.

S
S
And again Jerry thank you for pointing me to the best lifecoach there is to speak with, God. Yes I will.

B
B
Hi TTH

I agree with both SH and MEDC in this, bizarrely.

Adultery is a choice HOW.EV.ER. it is not a single choice. Your W did not think one morning " he's got tight buns I think I will throw away all the goodness in my life to bang him".

Its usually a loooong sequence of choices ( that can be made pretty quickly), that spiral into deeper and deeper darkness until the WS has convinced themself that lying in bed with OP is a great thing to do.

Every choice is made easier by the ever-increasing $LB deposits by OP.

So it's a choice but not a single one.

Also "zooming out" and de-personalising adultery is an absolute essential if marriages are to be recovered after adultery. Steve and the Harleys play down the " insult" attribute of an affair to the point almost where "its a bad but unintended thing that happened let spark it and move on".

That is the only way to start recovery IME. No WS would sign up for a lifetime of eating humble pie , and what kind of marriage would that lead to anyway ?

So I agree with both camps: Its a set of choices: no victimhood for the WS here, BUT it wasn't often a hostile act directed at the WS, and that is highligted in early recovery to give it any kind of chance.

JMO

MB Alumni
J
J
TTH,

Been reading along. I'll offer some thoughts which are along the lines of some of the posts you have already received.

I like to think there is a balance or symmetry to things.

All here agree that recovery is not simple or straighforward. it takes time, there are ups and downs, and it is definitely nonlinear.

My take on getting into an affair is that it is much like recovery: not simple or straightforward, it often takes time and there are ups and downs and it is definitely nonlinear.

Having said that, I think SH and the MB approach start with the simplest of building blocks when addressing recovery of a marriage. Why? It is too easy to get bogged down in the morase of details that make up an affair. Further, one MUST START SOMEWHERE, if recovery is what both parties seek.

Further, the idea of protecting ones boundaries naturally leads to introspection on the part of the WS, which leads to insight, which leads to changes in perspective, which eventually leads to a WS that becomes a FWS; Better yet a FWS that better understands themselves, how they have dealt with issues in the past and how to more productively deal with them in the future.

It seems to me that is a lot to ask, so one starts with the simple things.

From the BS side, I don't think you have to "swallow" that she failed to protect her boundaries. What you need to do is watch and participate in the PROCESS, that starts with a discussion of boundaries and "core" beliefs.

From all that I have seen on this site, the FWS over time peels away excuses, rationalizations, like an onion skin. But, it starts with boundaries and core beliefs.

Why did your W have an affair? She wanted to. She may have not wanted the consequences or for you to find out, because she did not want to lose you, but she wanted to. The WHY? of this simple statement is more complex and a good starting point is boundaries.

Several things have struck me over the years. One is how predictable and repeatable affairs are with regard to rationalization, verbal statements, behaviors. The other is how deceptive MB is. It seems simple and formalistic. It is not.

It is very subtle, many miss this. Why they do I don't understand. Perhaps they view the world in black and white. But, the subtle nuances of the MB approach are powerful and very nonlinear.

I mean in all reality there are some very surefire ways to stop affairs: 1. Kill the parties involved. 2. Walk away and never attempt to save the marriage. Both for sure end the affair. One absolutely, the other because it isn't an affair if the WS is no longer married.

However, if one wants to attempt to save a marriage, that requires some very subtle things on the part of the WS and the BS. Perspectives have to change on the part of both of them, wounds have to heal, deep and complex failure points in the personality need to be addressed, and new approaches to marriage adopted. These are not simple tasks, hence MB is not a simple formalistic approach. What MB is though is organized.

Those are my thoughts. So to answer your question,not you don't have to believe it is just simply her protecting her boundaries, although if one boundary is fidelity and she protects it, it is unlikely she will cheat right? I mean DUH! wink

In my mind the answer to your question, is that recovery is contingent on changes of perspective, new awareness of each other, and a coming together that supports each of you. That my friend is a PROCESS, not a matter of belief.

Well, that is my $0.02.

God Bless,

JL

Last edited by Just Learning; 05/30/08 02:32 AM.
Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 524 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation