Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 99 of 142 1 2 97 98 99 100 101 141 142
C
C
I struggle with this.. because it feels like I'm doing exactly what her dad did 4 years ago.. just walking away..

There is a difference. He had a choice. Legally you do not. Let go of the rope James.

Testosterone boys! Testosterone! It ain’t just for nose, ear and back hair anymore!
J
Jamesus Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by TJD
James,

In general, I don't think your thought process is off.

I would ask, what are your priorities based on what you recognize your situation to be?

Here are some thoughts:

1) Your mental health. This is critical. Neither of these kids has a chance if you can't keep it together. Every person here would say you are a great dad and a great person. We see it and sense it.

She will destroy you if you let her.

A few days ago I felt great.. course up until yesterday I saw DS quite a lot as compared to usual in the last few weeks.

Today?

Well.. TBH.. this has all set me off balance again. Not blaming anyone.. I'm just struggling with this.

Originally Posted by TJD
2) Your DS is your top priority. Nothing else is close.

Your WW has proven herself based on her past, her dealings with DSD, you, her extended family, and others that contact her in her day to day dealings with DS. Something is very wrong.

She does not have the best interests of your son in mind.

WB does not have the best interests of your son in mind.

Making it easy on WW and WB likely makes the best of a bad situation. Even so, it is still bad.

DS needs to be with you. Every other option is bad. Fight and fight hard. Get all the help you can. She will make a mistake.

Just holding on the eval to determine next step on this..

I agree with everything here.

Originally Posted by TJD
2)Your values.

Always uphold your values. Always teach your Son your values. He needs this now more than ever.

But....know when and how to fight the battle in concert with your other priorities. This is truly a battle.

This isn't a battle... -this- is the war. Battles are over quickly in the grand scheme of things.. this is a lifetimes work regardless of if WW and I stayed married or not. I'm his dad, this is my job.

Originally Posted by TJD
3) DSD.

Based on the way you and WW structured your marriage, MEDC is correct. You have no rights. When the time is right, read up on Harley regarding second marriages with kids. Don't go into a new marriage the same way. You need to have rights.

So, how do you effect DSD based on having no rights and in the bigger scheme of the situation?

Honest answer? I don't know.. I thought I was doing the right things in this regard..

Originally Posted by TJD
4) Your WW.

She is your WW. You are still married. You have alot more data points now than when you married. You talk about her screwed up sister, how her family doesn't support what is right and wrong, how her dad can't stand her and what she is doing, and what she herself has done to you and her kids. If you knew and really understood these things prior to marrying her you probably would have run.

Nothing is impossible. Stranger things have happened. However, if you use your intelligence, I would put my bets on it being a miracle for her to turnaround. Manage your risk.

If I knew and really understood.. yeah.. I would have run.

Thing is.. I certainly didn't have this frame of reference to put it in before... and the things I DID know.. now.. would send me packing very quickly.

I'm honestly not sure where my head is at with her.. it's really more of an 'evaluate as I go' thing..

Me - 32
DS - 5
DD - 13
DSD - 9
D final 12-8-08
M
M
I struggle with this.. because it feels like I'm doing exactly what her dad did 4 years ago.. just walking away..

DSD knows it was her mother who walked away from you.

She knows that her mother has forbidden her from talking to you.

It isn't the same thing.

At all.

And she knows it.

Last edited by Marshmallow; 05/30/08 04:33 PM.
Originally Posted by Jamesus
This isn't a battle... -this- is the war. Battles are over quickly in the grand scheme of things.. this is a lifetimes work regardless of if WW and I stayed married or not. I'm his dad, this is my job.

Hm... maybe we can dispatch 2 feathered dinosaurs with one lithic fragment here. Next time WB asks who's calling, tell him "DS' father".

I'll concede that this might be a war at this time, but the war with your STBXW will be long over (we can hope!) before your job as a father is. And that job will be as enjoyable an experience as you allow yourself 2 make it. And 2 make it, you need 2 end the conflict with your STBXW.

I'm honestly not sure where my head is at with her.. it's really more of an 'evaluate as I go' thing..

That's another rope, James. Let your end down. I think it would behoove you 2 write your STBXW off at this point. Don't just stop expecting her 2 pull her head out, stop hoping for it as well. She'll have 2 do the pulling anyway, and based on the past year's events, I'd bet that even if she does wake up, you won't be available for a rematch.

-ol' 2long

Last edited by 2long; 05/30/08 04:38 PM. Reason: "dispatch" sounded better than "slay"
J
Jamesus Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Well folks..

The eval came back on Friday afternoon.

I go to pick up my copy from my lawyer's office tonight. He hasn't read the whole thing, however he said that the summary indicated that we were both 'fit' parents and whichever of us doesn't wind up with primary custody is recommended to have more than the minimum time outlined in the state guidelines.

I'll know more once I read it, but I would have thought there would be a recommendation there as to who ought to have primary custody.. atty didn't say anything about that.

Mildly triggered, but not letting myself get too worked up about it until I actually read the eval for myself.

We will see.

Last edited by Jamesus; 06/02/08 07:45 AM.

Me - 32
DS - 5
DD - 13
DSD - 9
D final 12-8-08
W
W
Thinking of you, James. Hope the eval eases your mind some.

FWIW, I don't agree with many of the things said to you regarding DSD. You are NOT being abusive.

Unlike many, I HAVE kept up with your story. No one is perfect and I see you doing the best you can do in the circumstances you are in.

Continue to process the suggestions, weeding out the heavily wielded 2x4 the best you can. Now that you have the information that the gifts are destroyed in front of her...maybe change your tactics a bit.

She will not hate you for the gift giving....she'll resent her mother for the gift destruction.

Is it your responsibility to shield WW from her own actions and protect her from her DD's resentment?

You made a promise to that child. Your tactics may need to change to protect her from her mother a bit...but don't abandon her.

In the end it boils down to.....what can you live with? What leaves you with your own self-respect? Can you completely let DSD go and still look at yourself in the mirror?

I don't think so....that's where your struggle is coming from.

Can a child truly be harmed by knowing that someone loves her and that she has touched that person's life and made a difference?

Do what you can to cause the lease stress for DDs but don't sacrifice your love for her at the same time.

Fox

J
Jamesus Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by wildhorses74
Thinking of you, James. Hope the eval eases your mind some.

FWIW, I don't agree with many of the things said to you regarding DSD. You are NOT being abusive.

Unlike many, I HAVE kept up with your story. No one is perfect and I see you doing the best you can do in the circumstances you are in.

Continue to process the suggestions, weeding out the heavily wielded 2x4 the best you can. Now that you have the information that the gifts are destroyed in front of her...maybe change your tactics a bit.

I think this is where the bank account idea comes in.. not sure exactly where else to go with this short of point blank asking WW whether or not I should bother getting her a Birthday present.. because if it's just going to get trashed in front of her I don't want to put her through that.

She will not hate you for the gift giving....she'll resent her mother for the gift destruction.

Is it your responsibility to shield WW from her own actions and protect her from her DD's resentment?

You made a promise to that child. Your tactics may need to change to protect her from her mother a bit...but don't abandon her.

This is exactly the issue I took with the advice from last week. Still.. there are valid points here, and I know you aren't minimizing those.

In the end it boils down to.....what can you live with? What leaves you with your own self-respect? Can you completely let DSD go and still look at yourself in the mirror?

I don't think so....that's where your struggle is coming from.

BINGO.. for someone who held her hand in the dark of night as she cried herself to sleep... why doesn't my daddy want me..

To do that to her again.. for her to even carry that PERCEPTION of me... I've shed more than a bucketful of tears over that thought this weekend.

Can a child truly be harmed by knowing that someone loves her and that she has touched that person's life and made a difference?

Do what you can to cause the lease stress for DDs but don't sacrifice your love for her at the same time.

Fox

Apparently they can.. because that's not the message DSD is getting at home.

I'm certainly trying to figure out a way to do this.. and don't you worry.. I will -never- stop loving DSD. I just hope and pray one day she comes to know and appreciate that.

Me - 32
DS - 5
DD - 13
DSD - 9
D final 12-8-08
W
W
not sure exactly where else to go with this short of point blank asking WW whether or not I should bother getting her a Birthday present.. because if it's just going to get trashed in front of her I don't want to put her through that.

Hmmm....maybe give her something from your son. Don't put your name on it, don't send a note. Just a gift from your son to her.

She'll know where it came from and remember it for years to come.

Before everyone jumps in with "DON'T USE YOUR SON", I don't believe this IS using your son. Your son is part of your household - and the gift is from your family to her.

This is what I mean by finding a way to do what you do, yet change the way you do it so WW doesn't find it so "in her face".

Is it bowing to WW a bit? Sure, but better to bow than to break.

This is exactly the issue I took with the advice from last week. Still.. there are valid points here, and I know you aren't minimizing those.

Nope, not minimizing at all. Those points need to be taken under consideration - and it seems you do.

It feels to me as though sometimes others forget this:

for someone who held her hand in the dark of night as she cried herself to sleep... why doesn't my daddy want me..

Originally Posted By: wildhorses74

Do what you can to cause the least stress for DDs but don't sacrifice your love for her at the same time.

Fox

Apparently they can.. because that's not the message DSD is getting at home.

That doesn't mean it is true.

If YOU give up your fight to love her..... will SHE give up her fight to love anyone, ever? Because love means NOTHING? Promises mean NOTHING?

I feel your struggle, James. You've been bombarded a bit with statements of you abusing DSD with continuing to show her that she is important to you. I want you to know that not EVERYONE sees it that way.

As always, there is a balance. Only YOU truly know your situation and how much DSD is harmed. And how much she could be harmed by losing you more than she already has.

Fox

J
Jamesus Offline OP
OP Offline
J
You've given me a lot to think about Foxy.. thanks so much for that.

I'm not going to go into a whole lot of detail about the eval, except to say that it wasn't at all what I was expecting.

There was no clear recommendation as to who ought to have primary custody.

There's about 8 pages detailing her impressions of the three 'adults' involved, and then a page and a half summary.

The summary basically states that we are both fit, and that DS's needs would be met adequately at either place.

The only -real- recommendation came in the form of: If the court places the custody of the minor child with the mother, it is this workers further recommendation that the father be allotted more time with DS than is outlined in the state parenting time guidelines.

I'm going to need to talk to my lawyer to see what his take is on this, but at the very least it's a movement in the right direction.

It could have been worse I suppose.

Just not what I was expecting really.. did get a lot of background on WB's family life.. and wow, I thought WW's family was screwed up. These people make her dad's 4 marriages and 2 abusive live ins look like Pat Robertson and company..

They're both children of multiple divorces, and he has been in and out of 'institutions' since he was a young child.

I have no doubt now, if I even had any before that this situation is completely toxic for all involved. In other words.. to save myself I need to stay well clear of the blast radius when this thing blows up.. and it will, of that I now have zero doubt.

2long however is probably right on the money.. I'm probably not going to be up for a rematch at this point. I say probably because I still can't say with 100% certainty that I wouldn't still try. I simply doubt that WW would be able to cope with a lot of the changes I've made in my life, and the personal boundaries I've either created, or shored up... and the expectations I now have for someone I intend to spend the rest of my life with.

Still, I will rely on God for my guidance in all things, though I do very much value everyone's input. I'm no longer casting my hopes and plans for the future on a miracle. I'm simply trusting that God will send the people and things into my life and my children's lives that we need.

J

Me - 32
DS - 5
DD - 13
DSD - 9
D final 12-8-08
M
M
If YOU give up your fight to love her.....

Give up his fight to love her?

He doesn't have any legal ground to stand on to fight to love her.

But, he can add to the conflict in her life by continuing to go against her mother's wishes. Not to mention create an even more toxic atmoshere for his DS.

will SHE give up her fight to love anyone, ever? Because love means NOTHING? Promises mean NOTHING?

I have no idea why you would post this.

Jame's hands are tied. Why lay her emotional well-being at his feet? crazy

M
M
I have no doubt now, if I even had any before that this situation is completely toxic for all involved. In other words.. to save myself I need to stay well clear of the blast radius when this thing blows up.. and it will, of that I now have zero doubt.

Will you go to Plan B now?

M
M
Hmmm....maybe give her something from your son. Don't put your name on it, don't send a note. Just a gift from your son to her.

She'll know where it came from and remember it for years to come.

Before everyone jumps in with "DON'T USE YOUR SON", I don't believe this IS using your son. Your son is part of your household - and the gift is from your family to her.

This is what I mean by finding a way to do what you do, yet change the way you do it so WW doesn't find it so "in her face".

Is it bowing to WW a bit? Sure, but better to bow than to break.

this is an excellent idea if you want to have Jame's create another scene. His stbx...the mother of THIS child...has made it clear that gifts from James are not welcome. To circumvent those stated demands is not only a HUGE LB...it is wrong as the parent gets to say who can and cannot give gifts to their child. This is NOT James daughter. The mom is clearly wrong here...BUT, she is well within her rights as a parent to make this call.

I think you advice to James..if followed...will result in more drama. In fact, I know it.

Last edited by mkeverydaycnt; 06/03/08 07:57 AM.
M
M
The summary basically states that we are both fit, and that DS's needs would be met adequately at either place.

Hopefully the judge sees it differently. If not, there will be no reason for a change in the current status.

I pray the judge uses some common sense.

M
M
MEDC is right.

I suggested a long time ago on this thread that he should open a college savings account. I don't know if I specifically recommended it or not but he should look into opening a 529 investment account. A 529 plan grows tax free, like an IRA, however, it's flexible in the fact that James gets to decide which child he wants to spend it on. It stays Jamesus's money though in an account with her name on it.

He'll need to check with a financial institution but I beleive since he's still technically married he still can open an account all on his own for his step-daughter (do it now before you get divorced).

I went with Fidelity Investments and they even gave me a MasterCard which generates a 2% award on all purchases deposited directly into my daughters account. I run a lot of business expenses through such card so it's adding up fast.

DSD will be 18 someday and as an adult you'll be free to interact with her. She appreciate $$$$ at that age more than anything else. If it doesn't work out...the 529 account CAN be spent on other eligle beneficiaries, like your son.

Mr. Wondering

FBH(me)-51 FWW-49 (MrsWondering)
DD19 DS 22 Dday-2005-Recovered

"agree to disagree" = Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
J
Jamesus Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Marshmallow
If YOU give up your fight to love her.....

Give up his fight to love her?

He doesn't have any legal ground to stand on to fight to love her.

But, he can add to the conflict in her life by continuing to go against her mother's wishes. Not to mention create an even more toxic atmoshere for his DS.

Nobody in this world or any other will get me to stop loving DSD. I can't turn that stuff on and off with a switch, and wouldn't even if I could. I'll always love and care about DSD.

Now.. are there ways I can love her without making this situation more difficult for her or DS.

Absolutely.

The challenge is in finding the -right- way.

will SHE give up her fight to love anyone, ever? Because love means NOTHING? Promises mean NOTHING?

I have no idea why you would post this.

Jame's hands are tied. Why lay her emotional well-being at his feet? crazy

What's the difference between Foxy laying her emotional well being at my feet, or others accusing -me- of being abusive when -WW- is the one trashing easter baskets and returning Christmas presents and isolating DSD from her family. Isn't that laying her emotional well being at -my- feet?

There's a reason why you both do it.. albeit in different ways. That reason is, that despite the legalities.. for the last 5 years I have been that little girl's Dad. She looked to me for all of that time as the man in her life. We all know that our kids are watching me right now to see how adults stand up under this kind of thing.

Me - 32
DS - 5
DD - 13
DSD - 9
D final 12-8-08
J
Jamesus Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by mkeverydaycnt

Hopefully the judge sees it differently. If not, there will be no reason for a change in the current status.

I pray the judge uses some common sense.

For once we are 100% harmonious on this.

Like I said.. there's 8 pages of detail here that I have to imagine is intended to paint the clearest picture possible to the judge of what life is like there, and at my house.

It's going to be in his hands, but I'm going to be prepared for the fight in court, and will pull no punches.

Me - 32
DS - 5
DD - 13
DSD - 9
D final 12-8-08
J
Jamesus Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by MrWondering
MEDC is right.

I suggested a long time ago on this thread that he should open a college savings account. I don't know if I specifically recommended it or not but he should look into opening a 529 investment account. A 529 plan grows tax free, like an IRA, however, it's flexible in the fact that James gets to decide which child he wants to spend it on. It stays Jamesus's money though in an account with her name on it.

He'll need to check with a financial institution but I beleive since he's still technically married he still can open an account all on his own for his step-daughter (do it now before you get divorced).

I went with Fidelity Investments and they even gave me a MasterCard which generates a 2% award on all purchases deposited directly into my daughters account. I run a lot of business expenses through such card so it's adding up fast.

DSD will be 18 someday and as an adult you'll be free to interact with her. She appreciate $$$$ at that age more than anything else. If it doesn't work out...the 529 account CAN be spent on other eligle beneficiaries, like your son.

Mr. Wondering

Thanks Mr.W.. this is the direction I'm headed towards.

I plan to open the account on the 24th which is DSD's birthday this year.

I'm looking into a 529 plan just like you said, and have signed up with UPromise to benefit the local schools the kids attend.

It's pretty much called.. doing what you can.

Me - 32
DS - 5
DD - 13
DSD - 9
D final 12-8-08
J
Jamesus Offline OP
OP Offline
J

Will you go to Plan B now?

If there's no Plan B w/o a letter.. then no.

I think we're on to Plan D at this point... barring aforementioned miracles.

Me - 32
DS - 5
DD - 13
DSD - 9
D final 12-8-08
M
M
We all know that our kids are watching me right now to see how adults stand up under this kind of thing.

true...but since you do not have equal access to the DSD and she is not truly "your kid"...this doesn't apply. All she knows is what her mom tells her...and you come across as the one causing trouble. Again..no matter what you feel...you do NOT have a right to go against her parents wishes with anything.

Bottom line is your stbx is the evil person here. Your heart is in the right place. No one here is questioning your motivation for wanting to keep that relationship alive. It is your actions that were called into question. You are not seeking to abuse your ex-dsd...it is poorly thought out actions that are resulting in the harm being administered.

James, I think you are a good guy...and your stbx is a fool. I think the issue that has kept you from making the right choices (IMHO) in this entire situation stem more from your head than your heart. Your heart has always been in the right place. Your head just hasn't known when to hold tight and when to let go.

M
M
What's the difference between Foxy laying her emotional well being at my feet, or others accusing -me- of being abusive when -WW- is the one trashing easter baskets and returning Christmas presents and isolating DSD from her family. Isn't that laying her emotional well being at -my- feet?

I think there is a difference between saying don't add more drama into DSD's life and suggesting that she will NEVER BE ABLE TO LOVE b/c you are not trying to force your way into her life.

Very glad to hear you will be taking Mr. W's advice.

Last edited by Marshmallow; 06/03/08 08:40 AM.
Page 99 of 142 1 2 97 98 99 100 101 141 142

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 329 guests, and 70 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation