Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Krazy71 #2076416 06/19/08 05:00 PM
L
L
how do you install a keylogger when your antivirus software keeps catching it and stopping it from running, and you dont actually know how to stop the AVS from doing it??

Recovered marriage, recovering self, life gets better everyday laugh
lildoggie #2076419 06/19/08 05:07 PM
K
K
Originally Posted by lildoggie
how do you install a keylogger when your antivirus software keeps catching it and stopping it from running, and you dont actually know how to stop the AVS from doing it??

My first thought was to uninstall the AV software, but most AV software I've dealt with could be adjusted to ignore specific programs.

That, or bash the computer in with a ball-peen hammer. Either way works.

Divorced
Krazy71 #2076422 06/19/08 05:09 PM
N
N
Originally Posted by Krazy71
My first thought was to uninstall the AV software, but most AV software I've dealt with could be adjusted to ignore specific programs.

That, or bash the computer in with a ball-peen hammer. Either way works.

You have to install the keylogger then run a manual scan using your AV software. When the keylogger comes up, tell AV to ignore the software and let it run. It shouldn't detect it again.

BH - me - 29
WW - 28
Married 07/2001
D-Day #2 - 03/01/2008
03/22/2008 - NC Established
05/??/2008 - NC Broken (I think)
07/01/2008 - WW 'Unsure of what she wants to do'
NotReallyOk #2076424 06/19/08 05:18 PM
L
L
good old nortons will let me download the software but i cant install it. Am running the manual check now anyway, but really i am not all that clever smile

lildoggie #2076427 06/19/08 05:23 PM
N
N
Originally Posted by lildoggie
good old nortons will let me download the software but i cant install it. Am running the manual check now anyway, but really i am not all that clever smile

Disable Norton before you install it. wrong-click (right-click) on the little shield and select disable.

Install the software.

Re-enable the AV, then run a manual scan. Select ignore when it finds the software.

BH - me - 29
WW - 28
Married 07/2001
D-Day #2 - 03/01/2008
03/22/2008 - NC Established
05/??/2008 - NC Broken (I think)
07/01/2008 - WW 'Unsure of what she wants to do'
NotReallyOk #2076429 06/19/08 05:33 PM
L
L
sorry.
not a sheild, just a yellow circle with a green dot on it. I forgot to mention it is called nortons go back, dont know if that makes i difference. When i right click it just wants to change notification status or open the web thing
anyway, i am TJing so i'll back out now
thanks for your help

lildoggie #2076437 06/19/08 06:15 PM
S
S
I see spying as one thing - watchful waiting.

Actively setting up a trap where there is NO other man, pretending to be him, sending a false email, etc., that is something else.

The law looks at it differently too. "Entrapment" is not allowed under the law.

But we sure as heck can have security cameras.

That's kind of how I see it. I know the analogy is not perfect, and that there are legal technicalities involved in the examples, and that will likely be bandied about. But it is kind of how I look at it.

I just have my own boundaries. I would check the emails my FWH sends and receives. I watch those phone calls. (I haven't installed a keylogger, but if I were that suspicious, I might have).

I just thought about the email thing, and when I thought it all the way through, didn't make sense, and didn't sound right. Just sounded unfair, and overboard. If I'm that suspicious, then I need to go back to square one and figure out what might really be happening. Do some more work that I probably need to do anyway.

SB

Lucky to be where I am, in a safe place to get marriage-related support.
Recovered.
Happy.
Most recent D-day Fall 2005
Our new marriage began that day. Not easily, but it did happen.
schoolbus #2076455 06/19/08 07:25 PM
A
A
SB,

Your analysis of entrapment is outstanding. No good comes from it. Not in real life.

I am usually rather pragmatic, and I don’t mind testing students’ or associates’ knowledge. Especially if I may have to rely on that knowledge.

But testing ethics is fundamentally unethical, contradictory and ill advised. Not to mention useless and counterproductive.

Test knowledge and understanding. May even test behavior. But, not ethics or morals.

So, give FWW HNHN or BRF and discuss them together. That will be productive and will tell you much more about what you want/need to know.

With prayers,

"Never forget that your pain means nothing to a WS." ~Mulan

"An ethical man knows it is wrong to cheat on his wife. A moral man will not actually do it." ~ Ducky

WS: They are who they are.

When an eel lunges out
And it bites off your snout
Thats a moray ~DS
schoolbus #2076469 06/19/08 08:05 PM
K
K
Originally Posted by schoolbus
Mr S,

I came very close to doing what you proposed.

Here's how I talked myself out of it. Many thoughts on the idea.

Let's say you create the email account and send the email.

Possible scenarios:

A. She has been in contact already via email, and this "new" email comes from out of the blue, from some strange email address and has this bizarre message in it. It is supposedly from the OM, but since she is already in contact with the OM, then WTH? She is immediately suspicious of the email, and realizes it is a trap from you. She tells you about the "attempted contact", you are reassured, FALSELY. She tells OM that you are suspicious, they take their renewed contact futher underground, and the affair is much more difficult to expose or discover. But you believe everything is okay, because she has told you about the attempted contact, AND, YOU FEEL GUILTY ABOUT YOUR STUPID AND DEVIOUS PLOT, AND ABOUT LYING TO HER ABOUT THE EMAIL. Ultimately, you would probably end up confessing about the email to her anyway.

B. She hasn't been in contact with OM. But she knows his email address. You make this one up, send the email, now she has this strange one. She's not sure what's happening, doesn't want to arouse you, not sure what to do, as she didn't start this. She doesn't even want to start it up again. It is NOT a familiar account, and she knows that she has nothing to worry about - because she has a very clean record regarding no contact. She decides it is not from the OM, couldn't be, because she knows his address and that is NOT IT. She deletes it, not even sure if it IS the OM at all, because she deletes it without even being sure that it was a renewed attempt at contact - because after all, she says to herself, it actually could have been someone fishing, it could have been spam, it could have been anything. Her reasoning is all over the place, but because she is NOT GUILTY, she believes that there is no contact in place and no reason to stir this pot. If it was just question marks, or an unclear message, there wouldn't really be anything to tell you about, and if you have her email passwords anyway, then you had every opportunity to look and see it yourself. The delete button it is, and "gone".

C. She sees it, tells you, and gives you a printout. You feel like a complete idiot. Then, out of guilt and shame, you tell her what you did. As a result, you are left trying to explain why you are acting like this, trying to trap her, lying to her, trying to set her up, lovebusting, and not even giving her the respect of recognizing the good things she is doing to try to repair the marriage (which you do admit she is doing).

D. She sees it, tells you, and gives you a printout. You feel like a complete idiot. But you don't tell her, because you think that it will cause problems. You go on in your marriage with this very disrespectful lie underlying your interactions, and that underpins many of your interactions. The shame you feel results in creating distance between the two of you, and she doesn't even know why - and she is working really hard to get closer to you. Not a real great way to build a healthy marriage, ya' think?

E. You send it, she responds, and you "catch" her "in contact" with the "OM". Now what?????? You have backed yourself into a corner! You have to expose your own lie and deceit in order to show her that you caught her. She could easily say to you:

I KNEW IT WAS YOU TRYING TO TRAP ME!

And how could you prove otherwise?

So, when I thought it through to the end, I realized that none of the outcomes was very good. There weren't any pots of gold at the end of those rainbows.

If you want to know if she is in contact, install a keylogger. Follow her. Get a voice activated recorder. Check her cell phone records. Track her emails. Hire a PI.

Don't stoop to being a liar or deceiver yourself. It will backfire.

SB

Excellent post! I think Schoolbus gave you quite a thorough list of crappy possibilities. The only one I would add is the one I already mentioned, that you could tempt a recovering WW to actually contact OM again, after months of NC. The entrapment really is a lose/lose all the way around!

keepitreal #2076500 06/19/08 10:03 PM
M
OP Offline
M
So let's see, so far i believe we have the following consensus.

For (or at least Not Against):
Krazy71

Against:
bigkahuna
Resonance
hicktownmommy
keepitreal
MrWondering
MelodyLane
schoolbus
Aphelion

Unknown:
lildoggie
NotReallyOK

So that's 8 against and 1 "not against" (with 2 unknown)

Seems pretty clear that this is a bad idea as far as most are concerned.

Thanks everyone, I really do appreciate your input.

Sincerely,
~MrStrype

Me: BH, 43
Her: FWW, 38
Married: Feb 29, 1996
Children: 2 Boys-11 & 14
EA started: sometime in 2006?
PA started: 08/21/07
D-Day: 10/24/07
No Contact initiated: 10/24/07
OM: My "ex-best friend" of over 20 years.
MrStrype #2076510 06/19/08 11:00 PM
M
M
Make it 9 against...

Mark

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 629 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation