Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 105 of 142 1 2 103 104 105 106 107 141 142
W
W
Oh.. and on a personal note.. that many of our little gang can appreciate..

Finished off the night when I finally got home.. on my front porch, my portable fire pit going, a glass of some lovely single cask Balvine, and my acoustic guitar.. playing for the thunderheads as they rolled in.. lightning flashing within the clouds as the sky turned from orange to pink to dark..

It was a beautiful moment.. I was the only one in my neighborhood outside to see it.. and I remember giving thanks over and over to God for the moments with the kids tonight, and for creating such a beautiful specatcle just for me on my birthday..

That is so cool. cool

Q
Q
Morning James,

I'm glad you had a good birthday. Yep, cars come and go and the right one will be there when G-d leads you to it.

This caught my eye this morning, {quote] I'm hoping my mental approach to things is a healthy one. I'm not going to lie and say that in the quiet moments I don't think about her every day.. I do. These days though the common recurring thought is simply how tragic and avoidable all of this really is, if she'd just put the effort into saving the M that she's putting into destroying it. Her choice though.. [/quote] This is exactly how I think lately too. AND

that she's just trying like everyone else to be happy. Her methods though are irresponsible and destructive towards the very people who love, care about, and depend on her.. I know without question that happiness doesn't lie down that path, but that's because I've made those kinds of mistakes before.

I had quite and awakening this morning in my soul that I am going to post about.

It always amazes me how close our "recovery" is, and how similar our waywards our in what they are doing and what they are looking for.

But the sad truth is and always has been it's their life, their choice, the children and us are just the collateral damage.

BS 52, FWH 53, Married 1-1-84
D-day 5-14-07, WH moved in with OW
Plan A 9 months, DARK Plan B 3-17-08 until 3-2-09
WH and OW broke up 1-09
Started over 7-09
J
Jamesus Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by QueeniesNewLife
Morning James,

I'm glad you had a good birthday. Yep, cars come and go and the right one will be there when G-d leads you to it.

Yup.. same thing applies to a lot of things. One of my new mottos is that 'If God can lead you to it, He can lead you through it'

It always amazes me how close our "recovery" is, and how similar our waywards our in what they are doing and what they are looking for.

But the sad truth is and always has been it's their life, their choice, the children and us are just the collateral damage.

Sadly this is very true.. though I can't say I am suprised at how close many of the gangs stories are.. As much as they'd like to believe.. our waywards aren't special or unique, nor is their relationship(s) with the OP..

If nothing else, they share the same tragic fate unless they can somehow find their way to do as Jesus told the adulteress at the well.. Repent.. and sin no more...

I almost pity them.. but I grock the fact that choices have consequences.. and while I have been wronged, it is MY choice to forgive, and love her as God tells me.. and let Him dole out her rewards.

Me - 32
DS - 5
DD - 13
DSD - 9
D final 12-8-08
Q
Q
One of my new mottos is that 'If God can lead you to it, He can lead you through it'
One of the keys for me is learning when G-d is leading me to it and not my will and thinking it's G-d.

Got an answer for that one dude? smile

and while I have been wronged, it is MY choice to forgive, and love her as God tells me.. and let Him dole out her rewards.
EXACTLY and couldn't have said it better.

WH and OW broke up 1-09
Started over 7-09
J
Jamesus Offline OP
OP Offline
J
One of the keys for me is learning when G-d is leading me to it and not my will and thinking it's G-d.

Got an answer for that one dude? smile

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to
prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a
future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I
will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me
with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:11-13

Me - 32
DS - 5
DD - 13
DSD - 9
D final 12-8-08
Q
Q
{{{{{James}}}}}}}

WH and OW broke up 1-09
Started over 7-09
G
G
Was checking in on everyone. Sorry I missed your birthday. Happy belated birthday! Don't have enough time right now to catch up on all of the posts that I missed, but I hope everything is going alright for you. Will try to catch up soon.

"Be still, and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10

Faith isn't believing God can, it's knowing that He will.

BS(me)-27
STBXFWH-27
Married-October 2000
DDay-September 2005
Divorced-October 2006
Recommitted - June 2007
Remarried-August 2007
Kicked him out - April 11, 2008 (all boundaries crossed)
Moved back with my parents - April 27, 2008 (threatening to kill me and tried to kidnap my oldest daughter)
Restraining Order - April 28, 2008
DD-(6,3,2)
OC-1

formerly lostanduncertain
J
Jamesus Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks for checking in GC.. been missing you around here for sure, but I totally understand what kind of chaos you must be dealing with in your own sitch.

I met with my atty last night to discuss her settlement offer and take care of a little housekeeping/recordkeeping issues regarding my pension and some minor issues.

Bottom line is, she and I aren't going to come to an 'agreement' on custody... which means no matter what gets 'settled' or agreed to we're gearing up to go to court.. which means there's some cards we'll play, and some we're going to keep close to the vest.. and there are a few trump cards in there.

I told him that our 'position' was going to be physical custody with me, and her having visitation.. however we needed to get there.. whatever we had to do to get it done, we do. I did tell him that if she does decide to 'negotiate' on this however, my absolute minimum is 2 weekdays and alternating weekends, and all visits are overnights.

Now this will effectively give us a 50/50 split, which given the system and the 'status quo' I feel I'll be lucky to get in a judgement without being able to prove her completely unfit, which isn't likely to happen. That will eliminate almost all of the 'support' obligation, however that isn't why I'm asking for the additional overnights.. DS isn't doing well with the exchanges.. it's extremely disruptive and upsetting to DS when we have to cut things short, or even not do some things at all on the weeknights and on Sundays because I have to be conscious of the 8:30PM pickup time.. making sure we're home a few minutes early, and it effectively gives us, on the weeks where I don't have him a weekend a total of 8 hours together out of an entire week... that is NOT enough time.. I feel and I think it's reasonable to state that it would be much easier on DS to have all exchanges but the occasional exception happen at daycare.. as in.. he'll go home and stay with whichever one of us picks him up that night at daycare... It's way out of my way, but I don't mind driving across town and back again to take him to daycare before work on the mornings I'd have with him... and in effect if we were to do Tuesdays and Thursdays as my days.. WW and I would both get to at least have a short bit of time with DS EVERY DAY.. which I think without question is much better for him than the current arrangement.

As for the property, she and I are WAY far apart on it, and she's doing some obvious hiding of debt, and devaluing her assets while overstating mine.. The biggest example is the home value.. she stated in her 'offer' that the house was worth 135K.. and to support her claim her offer sent over a copy of the appraisal we had done when buying the house in '06 which even that was only 128... I have a tax appraisal done in late '07 (around the time she left) that values it at 115.. well, we weren't even 1 year into our home loan which was 123K.. and anyone who has done the home buying thing knows that inside of the first year you aren't building equity..

Well.. because her 'stuff' values and mine differ, and there's wild differences in the value of assets like the house and the cars etc.. my A suggested we have a guy he works with come in and appraise all of her stuff, all of my stuff, and the house... which I'm 99% positive will work out even worse for her in the long run as the home values around here have gone into the toilet in the last 2 years..

In the end though.. all that is just STUFF... what I'm really concerning, and gearing up for war on.. is the custody thing... and since I'm really no longer persuing reconciliation.. the gloves are coming off.. and though I don't let her wear my hockey sweaters anymore (dang she looked wonderful in them though).. it's going to be a knock down drag out.. Though fear not.. I've every intention of kicking her butt... compassionately.

Me - 32
DS - 5
DD - 13
DSD - 9
D final 12-8-08
W
W
Excellent, James!

Your reasons for a change in custody/visitation are very reasonable and focus on the needs of your son - while looking completely fair towards WW.

Make sure that gets in.

Do you have a court date yet? Maybe I missed it.

Fox

J
Jamesus Offline OP
OP Offline
J
No court date has been set.. and it looks like once the appraisals are finished we're going to try mediation for the property stuff..

I'm pretty sure the custody battle though is going all the way to court.

Honestly I don't care about the 'stuff'... I just want DS to come home.

Me - 32
DS - 5
DD - 13
DSD - 9
D final 12-8-08
M
M
Is there any way to push the custody issue to the forefront and get a court date set now?

W
W
I see.

Make a notebook of just thoughts and reasonings for custody issues. Keep it separate from the property stuff so you can find it easily.

Many GREAT ideas I had and received from here got lost over the 1 1/2 years it took to get to court. It was tough trying to locate them.

Get a notebook, write them down as you have them. It will make a WORLD of difference when the court date actually gets here.

It ended up working out for me - but I was darn lucky. I DIDN'T say all the things I really needed to say.

Fox

W
W
Is there any way to push the custody issue to the forefront and get a court date set now?

Good question.

I REALLY regret not getting an interim parenting plan set up right at the beginning.

The longer you are status quo on visitation, the more likely it will stay that way.

If it isn't working - make a stink about it NOW. Give the same reasons that you gave above and that it is STRESSFUL for your boy.

Fox

J
Jamesus Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by medc

I think that's what my atty is going to try to work out with her atty.. but we'll see how that goes. He seemed to indicate though that any decision by the judge though likely wouldn't be binding until the final decree though... which sort of confused me because if that was the case, what does it matter if we do it now, or if I bide my time and keep collecting her little screwups along the way and use it all at the end?

I know -your- answer MEDC is something to the tune of 'how long now has your son been in that situation'.. and believe me, I'm good enough at kicking myself about that daily.. and I know the longer it goes on the more the status quo.. but I think I've got at least a fair shot at the additional weekday and the overnights with the evaluator's recommendation..

As much as I hate to say it.. I think whatever damage is to be done to DS is unavoidable or has been done at this point.. the best I can do is try and help him pick up the pieces and build a life with a good example of what a man should be.. what a promise is.. what role God and our faith should play in our lives.. what character and integrity is.. and if I can spend even a little time every day during the week with him.. wouldn't that be making things all that much better for him?

Me - 32
DS - 5
DD - 13
DSD - 9
D final 12-8-08
J
Jamesus Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by wildhorses74
I see.

Make a notebook of just thoughts and reasonings for custody issues. Keep it separate from the property stuff so you can find it easily.

Many GREAT ideas I had and received from here got lost over the 1 1/2 years it took to get to court. It was tough trying to locate them.

Get a notebook, write them down as you have them. It will make a WORLD of difference when the court date actually gets here.

It ended up working out for me - but I was darn lucky. I DIDN'T say all the things I really needed to say.

Fox

This is a really good idea.. I've been needing to print out this thread and go through it again and pick out the bits that are still applicable to me, and the little inspirations that have helped get me through tough times.. I'll make a separate notebook basically dealing with comments I've made here about the custody sitch.. though to be honest, what I typed above there today about the additional day, and overnights I know I won't lose.. I've felt this way about it since even before the provisional hearing back in November.. it didn't come out in court then.. I think I was still too unsettled by everything to get what I wanted to say out.. but I think I'll have a much better grip on myself and the circumstances this go..

Me - 32
DS - 5
DD - 13
DSD - 9
D final 12-8-08
W
W
He seemed to indicate though that any decision by the judge though likely wouldn't be binding until the final decree though... which sort of confused me because if that was the case, what does it matter if we do it now, or if I bide my time and keep collecting her little screwups along the way and use it all at the end?

This is what my original attorney told me, too. He was WRONG. My new attorney said he would have had that done right away.

And it is in ORDER from a judge - it is binding until another order changes it.

Do a little more research on this one. That just doesn't sound right to me.

About the notebook, etc - I printed out my thread too, but it is so large that I know I missed things. Maybe you are more organized when it comes to that than I was.

The notebook itself could even be turned in as evidence. Proof that you and DS have had issues with this all along. Note dates that you talked to your attorney (and advice you were given) about what can be done prior to court regarding the custody issues.

Make a diary of sorts about DS's behavior during exchange times. That is even more backup to your solution on how to ease this for DS.

The little things count. Especially in DS's world.

Fox

Last edited by wildhorses74; 07/11/08 09:52 AM.
Q
Q
Wow, I haven't seen this strength and resolve in your before.

This is awesome. I absolutely love the words of showing your son what a man is with so many good qualities. G-d can't help but be proud at you.

Writing things down is the absolutely best thing to do. Do you still get Charlene Cares emails?

{{{{{{JAMES}}}}}}

WH and OW broke up 1-09
Started over 7-09
Q
Q
Wow Fox, what a great idea on printing out the thread.

I absolutely agree with you, with one addition. The more organized you look, the WAY BETTER it will be.]

Not just because people are telling me, but because I feel it in my heart and soul on this.

Document everything, conversations, thoughts, etc.

WH and OW broke up 1-09
Started over 7-09
P
P
If the property settlement is going to take any length of time, and it will now that an appraiser is involved, can you ask your attorney to bifurcate (split) the two issues (with a motion to the Court) and try the custody first? You've already got the recommendation on the custody issue, so there's nothing left but the hearing or the negotiation.

It would means two trials, two mediations, etc., (if the custody issue isn't agreed) but it may be worth it to get DS stabilized while the property settlement is in the works. The divorce could be granted in the first one with the understanding that the property will be settled at a later time.

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
W
W
Your not kidding, Queenie.

I think my lawyer thought I was nuts. Everytime I walked into his office I carried with me two 3-inch binders packed full of information. My MB binder was left at home - but is another 3 inches - with little room left.

Most the time, I could find things in my information before he could find anything in his.

I agree with Queenie, too, about showing your boy what a real man is. Kudos to you.

Fox

Page 105 of 142 1 2 103 104 105 106 107 141 142

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 53 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation