Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 17 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17
F
Flick Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by A_pretty_face
Have you written the NC letter yet?

Are you and BW going to go to a pro marriage counseling? How about the kids. Are you looking into family counseling too?

sorry for 20 questions I just wanna know where you are standing at/sitting at

What else are you doing at home to show your BW that you are making a change?

Yes I wrote the NC letter as soon as I walked into the house and wife posted it. Actually I didn't really write it, I just copied the one out of the "surviving an affair" book. It does seem like an easy option and if I were doing it today i would write my own, but all the same it is done and done seriously.

Yes we are looking for a councillor.

Thanks
Fatty

Flick
F
Flick Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by Marshmallow
more suitable places for a strong willed WS to get information. It is basically the same information but presented in a less abusive fashion.

Translation: No one calls you out for lying and gaslighting your BW there.

I HAVE ALREADY SAID " I AM STAYING "

Thanks
Fatty

Flick
K
K
Originally Posted by hu7668
****edit****

If you were serious about recovering your marriage, wouldn't it be wise for you and your wife to get your information from a common source?

I doubt philanderers.com will be of much use to your marriage, but go ahead and try.

Last edited by Dufresne; 07/23/08 03:33 AM. Reason: quotes deleted content

Divorced
K
K
Oh, and nice job on the fresh start, Fatty. There are many wise people here, once you get past the pushiest few members. laugh

When I read "Fatty", my first thought was a less-than legal cigarette-like object....but that's just me.

Divorced
F
Flick Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by medc
a place for a strong willed WH

if you were "strong willed" you would have never been a WH.

I see your point Medc, but one moment (OK 7 months) of weakness does not make that my "normal" character. I slipped up big time, I know that but I will climb out of this hole and being strong willed will help me to overcome the things that may try to get in the way. I do not agree with the phillosophy of "once bad, always bad" or any other re-wording of that that you might like.

Do you see my point?

Fatty

Flick
K
K
Originally Posted by Fatty

I see your point Medc, but one moment (OK 7 months) of weakness does not make that my "normal" character. I slipped up big time, I know that but I will climb out of this hole and being strong willed will help me to overcome the things that may try to get in the way. I do not agree with the phillosophy of "once bad, always bad" or any other re-wording of that that you might like.

Do you see my point?

Fatty

Taking the wrong meds, freaking out and shooting someone is one thing.

7 months? That's a whole lot of pre-planning, ducking, dodging, and lying.

Obviously, if it wasn't part of your character to begin with, it sure became a part of it during that time.

Hitler was strong-willed.

Being a good person and being strong willed do not go hand-in-hand.

Just be a good person.

Divorced
O
O
Fatty,
What will you do when you have the same feelings that came up for you after the 1st relapse - 4 or so weeks ago? What is your action plan?

Have you considered writing a Personal Recovery Plan that includes how you will recover your M too? I think it's important to fix the man and then the marriage.

That way you can secure your future and put all this behind you at some point.

Good luck!

BS(me) - 40
FWH - 36

6 years of discovery.
Now - one day at a time....
I
I
Originally Posted by onlyUcan
Fatty,
What will you do when you have the same feelings that came up for you after the 1st relapse - 4 or so weeks ago? What is your action plan?

Have you considered writing a Personal Recovery Plan that includes how you will recover your M too? I think it's important to fix the man and then the marriage.

Good luck!

I would never question advice...I just hope you don't take this statement as an excuse to have an affair while "fixing the man before fixing the marriage", fatty...like my WW did.

Last edited by introvert; 07/22/08 05:11 PM.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth"

Henry David Thoreau
F
Flick Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by Krazy71
When I read "Fatty", my first thought was a less-than legal cigarette-like object....but that's just me.

That is not a term that we use in NZ for that type of cigarette-like object. It is a slang term for a gentlemans "parts" but that had nothing to do with choosing it.

Any way must run, things to get done before the rain comes.

Fatty

Flick
V
V

Hey now, I resent that being a strong willed person and all. laugh If I didn't know better I'd think you were saying us strong willed people are bad shocked

laugh laugh

You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

The person who is always finding fault seldom finds anything else.

I pity the fool. - Mr. T
M
M
Fatty, i see your point...but as you can note that was directed at HU7668...not you.

Always note the RE: on the reply heading.

Last edited by medc; 07/22/08 05:14 PM.
F
Flick Offline OP
OP Offline
F

Do you see my point?

Fatty

Taking the wrong meds, freaking out and shooting someone is one thing.

7 months? That's a whole lot of pre-planning, ducking, dodging, and lying.

Obviously, if it wasn't part of your character to begin with, it sure became a part of it during that time.

Hitler was strong-willed.

Just be a good person.

Hitler, strong-willed? I would rather put him in the "mentally Ill" box.
We could debate that for hours, but that is not what we are here for.
Anyway I have already admitted that I was not myself for the period of the A. Well obviously I was myself but I was out of character. Now I am rebuilding my marriage, my life and myself. My strong-will and my commitment to my wife/marriage will help me to do that.

Fatty (back in character)

Flick
F
Flick Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Fatty, i see your point...but as you can note that was directed at HU7668...not you.

Oh dear, a slight goof there, sorry.

Flick
I
I

Oh dear, a slight goof there, sorry.

Definately not like Hu...it's official.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth"

Henry David Thoreau
S
S
I've posted to your BW off and on through the months you've been wayward.

She is a strong woman.

She is right to ask you to work on your issues.

Three forms of recovery:

Your personal recovery
Your BS's personal recovery
The marital recovery

Your BW has been working and growing while you were off with OW. She has made incredible progress. She understands many of the basic concepts here, and has learned some of the things that the marriage will need to undergo in order to make it more affair-proof.

You CAN have a better marriage, but there are some things you need to consider.

What were the problems in the marriage at the point of the affair? You need to be really un-emotional when you consider them. You cannot blame the state of the marriage on your wife, or on you - it belongs to both of you. So evaluate that "state of the marriage" back then. What contributions were you making? Were you meeting her needs then? If you were meeting some, what were you doing right and why? What were you not meeting, and why not? Think about those things, Fatty. I don't mean for you to just pass this one over lightly.

The EN's you DID meet are just as important as those you didn't. And to be honest about them - don't say "I was terrible at everything", or "I was perfect at everything".

Then, take a look at her EN's for right now. Think about meeting them today. They have changed - and the job now is to meet them.

The other thing to understand is that the EN's will CHANGE as time goes by. This isn't a one-time deal - the job from today and forward is to look at these EN's, and understand that you need to look regularly at them. To see how they evolve, and to see if you are meeting them. And to be sure that you are communicating on what YOURS are also, so she can meet yours, too. It's a two way street, and the street CHANGES. Be sure that you understand that concept, because it is now a lifelong change in your marriage.

But you also have another job, which is making restitution for your affair. That will be tough. Meeting her needs is one thing. Making changes in yourself is another. But you will have to ask your wife what her expectations are, what she thinks she will need to see for "restitution". She may not even know at this point. And you may have to accept that answer for now. Be ready to accept that answer, Fatty. Her pain right now might leave her not knowing what restitution could fulfill her.

But I do know this - she has not wavered, not once, in her desire to restore your marriage. Not one time has she said she would be better off without you. Not one time has she said she has lost her love for you. Not one time has she said she wanted to give up on you.

You DO have a chance with her. You are one LUCKY SOB.

SB

Lucky to be where I am, in a safe place to get marriage-related support.
Recovered.
Happy.
Most recent D-day Fall 2005
Our new marriage began that day. Not easily, but it did happen.
F
Flick Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Fatty,

Hi onlyUcan

Great question! I have been thinking about it on and off today and I don't really have an answer for it. You can be sure that I will be talking with wife about it tonight. It is possible that those feelings will not surface this time, my reason for saying that is that there are some very different curcumstances involved this time. The first time I came back to my wife I did so for a bunch of wrong reasons. I was deeply depressed following the death of my father and I returned home for the comfort of familiar surroundings and familiar people. I was seeking comfort, not a looking to fix anything. Also the A was still bubbling away in the background.
This time I have completely seperated from the OW. There are many many reasons for leaving her and at least as many for not going back. There is only one reson for coming home - that is to fix my marriage/life/self (OK so maybe that is 3 reasons).
So why do I feel a little bit protected from the possibility of being hit by withdrawl, simple I have come to a point where I have a strong dislike for the OW. The A died. The A was over before I returned home, yes only just over but over all the same.
Now I expect you all to tell me how silly I'm being with this train of thought, and I am open to that suggestion, but please don't forget that just a few lines ago I did say that this is going to be discussed with wife tonight and together we will make a plan - we have always come up with the best plans when we work together and share ideas.

Good luck!
I have not yet written a personal recovery plan, but I do intend to. A writen plan is the only sort worth having IMO.

Thanks
Fatty

Flick
O
O
I don't think it's a silly train of thought at all. It was easy for my FWH to do the NC letter(s) when he relapsed because he truly wanted to be with me. He truly loved me and OUR family.

But what he failed to safeguard against, until this time around was what he would do in the face of stress. I think it's terrific that you are talking to lil about this and working these things out together.

Just remember that it takes committed action and it's long term. When you feel stress, find other outlets that can release it.

Another thing that I have noticed my FWH do is even when we fail, for example, both of us get back into our habits of disagreeing, he has picked himself back up and changed his behavior and actions, even right in the moment in front of me. It's really been an eye opener for me and caused me to focus on how I can react differently too.

You 2 could truly be a great inspiration down the road for people who recovered after a Dark Plan B. I'm very happy for you.

BS(me) - 40
FWH - 36

6 years of discovery.
Now - one day at a time....
F
F
Fatty,
If I may, I'd like to address this from another angle. Yes, I'm so proud of you for sticking through this and getting the help you need. But, I'd like to see you grow through the good that you are doing for your wife. I am a victim of my H's Ea. This, I believe was his single most foolish choice he ever made in his 43 years alive!

So, what are you doing for Mrs. Fatty? When is the last time you told her she was beautiful? When is the last time you complimented her on her outfit or the dinner she cooked. I dont' mean a general thought, I mean a true-blue compliment. Because we, the BW, feel so inferior after our H's A, we are totally unsure about everything we used to feel secure about. Your wife may seem on the outside to be the most secure and strong person you know, but inside she's probably a mess.
So, my advice is this. Pay special attention to her. Look her in the eye and simply smile. Touch her when you walk past her. Kiss her on the lips...not the cheek. Heck, make out with her -- whatever happened to that after marriage??? You will start to heal if you see her start to heal. Make her feel special. In the end, her recovery will be the key to your recovery. The longer the time goes by with no contact from OW, the easier it will be to love your wife all over again.

Maybe this is too simplistic, but I know from my point of view it's what I need. Good luck

Me 44, H 42, DS 16, DS 13
H/EA 4/07, D Day 10/17/07..
500th d-day 10/14/08...
NO RAIN...NO RAINBOWS!
H
H
So why do I feel a little bit protected from the possibility of being hit by withdrawl, simple I have come to a point where I have a strong dislike for the OW. The A died. The A was over before I returned home, yes only just over but over all the same.
Now I expect you all to tell me how silly I'm being with this train of thought

I felt the same way when I was invited back into my W's life. It's not a silly train of thought. But actions need to follow. I would suggest you begin putting together a list of actions/precautions you can take to provide a deeper level of protection for you and your wife.

Dr. Harley calls these actions "Extra-Ordinary Precautions" or "EP's" for short.

You see your inability to protect your W is what led to the door opening that allowed the affair to begin.
1)You allowed yourself to be alone with another woman.
2)You allowed yourself to listen to her problems.
3)You shared your own problems.
You made the choice, for whatever reason, to NOT protect your wife and your marriage.

Hence, the need for EP's in your life.

I copied over my list to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. I hope it helps you.

Putting this in writing and following through will re-establish protecting your wife. Protecting your wife MUST be your number one job if you want to restore your M.

Originally Posted by tst
Extraordinary Precautions:

a) I am responsible to protect my wife at all times.
b) I will give full access of all my business records to my wife.
c) I will agree to give all passwords, account codes business and personal to my wife.
d) I will not put myself in an advice giver role with another woman, unless my wife is present and has given her prior approval.
e) I will defer to my wife as the advice giver when it involves another woman, unless she specifically calls on me.
f) I will not spend any time with another woman that my wife is not present.
g) I will allow only my wife to hear my problems or concerns.
h) I will not share my infirmities with another woman.
i) I will allow my wife to be my exclusive care giver, unless she specifically calls on someone else to help her.
j) I will defer to my wife in all matters of charity and outreach, with her being the sole point of contact when caring for women.
k) I will not teach martial arts to another woman without my wife being present and having enthusiastic agreement about such training in advance.
l) I will openly share my daily business schedule with my wife.
m) At any time she requests, I will trade cell phones with my wife for the time she deems necessary.
n) I will allow only men to provide essential care, such as Doctors appointments, hair cuts, massages, individual counseling, etc.
o) I will always defer to my wife regarding any outside activity and will agree to eliminate any activity she feels is interfering in our relationship or the relationships of our children.
p) I will not travel out of town for business or personal reasons without the company of my wife.

Recovery began 10/07;

Meeting my wife's EN's is my "thank you" that refuses to be silenced.
T
T
This morning I found myself thinking about things to do with the OW, as soon as I realised I was thinking of her I put my hands over my ears and said la la la la to distract myself, I told wife that that was what I was doing and, together we discussed something else to keep my thoughts from wandering back.
This is AWESOME.

While I'm sure your wife felt gut-punched to know you were thinking of OW, the confidence and trust gained by that one action of yours were phenomenal. I don't think it's possible for anyone to explain just how vital those volunteered bits of painful honesty are to a BW.

It would have been so easy for you to keep your thoughts to yourself. So easy for you to tell yourself you didn't want to bring it up because it would only hurt your BW.

Yet you confided in her.

That is so very big!! Your W is no dummy. She knows you're going to think of OW. She has fears so deep and dark that you can't begin to comprehend them yet. When you volunteer information like this, and ask for her help in dealing with the situation, you shine a great big floodlight on her fears. They scamper way back into the corners to hide for a little while, and your W gains a bit of strength, and trust, and comfort as a result.

You are so very much on the right track.

Page 7 of 17 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 527 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation