Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17
I
I
I agree with turtle. You did the right thing by telling your BW that you had thoughts about OW.

My W goes day to day telling me that she never thinks about him......it's a lie, and I know it. How would I react if she told me she was thinking about him tody?...not sure...but, isn't it my right to find out? My W is just trying to protect herself from my possible negative reaction (selfishly, as usual).

It's nice to know that you have enough respect for your BW to tell her, even though there is a chance of her reacting in a negative manner. You've shown her respect by doing so. Kudos.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth"

Henry David Thoreau
P
P
Originally Posted by Fatty
I have not yet written a personal recovery plan, but I do intend to. A writen plan is the only sort worth having IMO.

Thanks
Fatty

Very good idea!

I posted to you on page 1 or 2 of this thread - I linked some reading I thought would be useful for you. I was wondering if you'd had a chance to read (watch the video) any of those links?

As far as writing out a plan goes - the MB site is full of helpful templates.

Out of curosity - what sort of work do you do - not a specific company perse - but are you in sales, medicine, technology, science, labor ETC. Sometimes knowing what type of work you do helps us gear our approach. For instance - I work in medicine, so making comparrisons to something in my field helps me understand the marriage building concepts more clearly - and application of the concepts is smoother when we can relate to the examples in context to our lives.

best of luck and again - welcome

Pep

F
Flick Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by tst
You see your inability to protect your W is what led to the door opening that allowed the affair to begin.
1)You allowed yourself to be alone with another woman.
2)You allowed yourself to listen to her problems.
3)You shared your own problems.
You made the choice, for whatever reason, to NOT protect your wife and your marriage.

Hence, the need for EP's in your life.

Yes, dead right, guilty on all three counts. I am ashamed and embarrassed that I did allow those 3 things to happen, but not ashamed to admit it because admitting that I did get those things wrong is helping me to fix myself so that I can become the H that my W has always been intitled to. Also by admitting that I did get those things wrong re-enforces the need for me to avoid those situations again.

Originally Posted by tst
Extraordinary Precautions:

a) I am responsible to protect my wife at all times.
b) I will give full access of all my business records to my wife.
c) I will agree to give all passwords, account codes business and personal to my wife.
d) I will not put myself in an advice giver role with another woman, unless my wife is present and has given her prior approval.
e) I will defer to my wife as the advice giver when it involves another woman, unless she specifically calls on me.
f) I will not spend any time with another woman that my wife is not present.
g) I will allow only my wife to hear my problems or concerns.
h) I will not share my infirmities with another woman.
i) I will allow my wife to be my exclusive care giver, unless she specifically calls on someone else to help her.
j) I will defer to my wife in all matters of charity and outreach, with her being the sole point of contact when caring for women.
k) I will not teach martial arts to another woman without my wife being present and having enthusiastic agreement about such training in advance.
l) I will openly share my daily business schedule with my wife.
m) At any time she requests, I will trade cell phones with my wife for the time she deems necessary.
n) I will allow only men to provide essential care, such as Doctors appointments, hair cuts, massages, individual counseling, etc.
o) I will always defer to my wife regarding any outside activity and will agree to eliminate any activity she feels is interfering in our relationship or the relationships of our children.
p) I will not travel out of town for business or personal reasons without the company of my wife.

Thanks for that list, it is a great starting point for my own EP's. Clearly some of yours will not apply to me and others will need some modification and yet others will need to be added to take into account the differences between our situations.
Very helpful,

Thanks
Fatty

Flick
F
Flick Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by Pepperband
I posted to you on page 1 or 2 of this thread - I linked some reading I thought would be useful for you. I was wondering if you'd had a chance to read (watch the video) any of those links?
To be honest no I have not yet looked at those links, however I have set aside some time tonight to look at them (you did indicate that they would take a bit of time to get through). So thanks for sending them to me and I am sure they will be very useful.

Originally Posted by Pepperband
Out of curosity - what sort of work do you do - not a specific company perse - but are you in sales, medicine, technology, science, labor ETC. Sometimes knowing what type of work you do helps us gear our approach. For instance - I work in medicine, so making comparrisons to something in my field helps me understand the marriage building concepts more clearly - and application of the concepts is smoother when we can relate to the examples in context to our lives.

What sort of work I do? Well there are many answers to that question, I have several jobs and depending on the situation I quote a different occupation. I am a part time farmer on the farm that we live on and I also do part-time milking on other farms. I have a bussiness copying old sound recordings onto CDs(that I operate from home), I am a part-time fire fighter, and for a few months recently I was a full time caregiver for my father during his fight with cancer. Before the A I was involved with Scouting, a local museum and operating a radio station - all on a voluntry basis. Oh and I was also working nights at a store, stacking shelves - that is where I met the OW, so I don't work there now (she also has left) and I don't tend to shop in that branch, too many bad memories.

In earlier times I was an enginneer andthen I moved to the radio industry as a disk-jockey for about 11 years, that job is where I met my wife, she rang up one night to request a song and we just started talking and talking and talking.

Well I bet that was a longer answer than you were expecting grin

Fatty

Flick
Q
Q
Fatty,

I'm really glad you have stayed around. I sense that your defenses aren't up so high and you are really working with your W on recovering your M.

She knows how special and treasurable I think that is. I for one and grateful and glad you are here and really hope you know that you are helping us.

I know you know there are rough days, weeks and time ahead and people on here have very real feelings, but they care deeply about each one of us on here and in the end all we want are for marriages to be restored.

BS 52, FWH 53, Married 1-1-84
D-day 5-14-07, WH moved in with OW
Plan A 9 months, DARK Plan B 3-17-08 until 3-2-09
WH and OW broke up 1-09
Started over 7-09
F
Flick Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by fiori
Fatty,
So, what are you doing for Mrs. Fatty?

Mrs Fatty is LilDoggie, she is about 100 pounds, we both found it slightly amussing to have her called Mrs Fatty, thanks for the laugh.
When is the last time you told her she was beautiful?
About six months ago. I had to ask her.
When is the last time you complimented her on her outfit or the dinner she cooked.
Complemented her on a dinner a few weeks back and as for her outfit that would be a couple of months ago (we are farmers and we don't dress well most of the time, it just the way it is) so when we do get dressed up there is normally a complement.

I dont' mean a general thought, I mean a true-blue compliment. Because we, the BW, feel so inferior after our H's A, we are totally unsure about everything we used to feel secure about. Your wife may seem on the outside to be the most secure and strong person you know, but inside she's probably a mess.
I know this. And I am working on it, still I value your input.
So, my advice is this. Pay special attention to her. Look her in the eye and simply smile. Touch her when you walk past her. Kiss her on the lips...not the cheek. Heck, make out with her -- whatever happened to that after marriage???
I don't know, what did happen to that after marriage, we never slowed down, we have always enjoyed each other in that area. I ahve started kissing her lips again, I found I could not kiss her lips when I was in the A. So to be able to share that with her again is wonderful for both of us.

Thanks
Fatty

Flick
F
F
Really, you should be proud of what you're doing, now!

Me 44, H 42, DS 16, DS 13
H/EA 4/07, D Day 10/17/07..
500th d-day 10/14/08...
NO RAIN...NO RAINBOWS!
F
Flick Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Really, you should be proud of what you're doing, now!

Geee thanks smile

But really pride is not something I am feeling about things.

Pride comes before a fall.

I'll just keep aiming at being happy and making my W happy.

Appreciate your comments, i really do.

Fatty

Flick
P
P
Originally Posted by Fatty
I have several jobs and depending on the situation I quote a different occupation. I am a part time farmer on the farm that we live on and I also do part-time milking on other farms. I have a bussiness copying old sound recordings onto CDs(that I operate from home), I am a part-time fire fighter

cool -

for a few months recently I was a full time caregiver for my father during his fight with cancer.

I'm so sorry. Many of us, myself included, have shared this heartbreaking yet rewarding experience.

I was involved with Scouting, a local museum and operating a radio station - all on a voluntry basis.

Wonderful Many interests makes you interesting.

Well I bet that was a longer answer than you were expecting grin

Fatty

Yes - it is great you gave us more than we expected

Thanks!

B
B
Yes, you do sound interesting, and so it your wife.

Glad you are still here posting and your thread is heading along the MB path.

_
_

Hiya Fatty;

Your answer to fiori drove something out of my braincell. It is about intimacy. I didn't understand the concept until my wife taught me. Think about how often you touch your wife, tell her she is beautiful and/or cook a meal for her. Think about cuddling and conversation. Think about a finger making slow waves on her back for about 20 minutes or so, or longer.

The more, the more often, the more sincere, the better. A marriage is like a farm, needs cultivation. So be a farmer in your marriage. Er, and hard work too smile

All the best.

Larry

B
B
Good luck today. Hope you can get back home soon, and hope you are not tempted to contact the OW.

F
Flick Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by believer
Good luck today. Hope you can get back home soon, and hope you are not tempted to contact the OW.

Hi Believer,
I did not end up going out of town yesterday, I am heading off today (friday),and returning tomorrow (saturday), just got some legal affairs to take care of, might pick up a few things from fathers house while I'm there too. I'll be spending most of my free time with family and all of my phone records go to LilDoggie and she has access to all of my internet accounts so if I were stupid enough to make contact with OW she would find out.
Speaking of internet accounts, I have now deleted all of my social networking accounts and also deleted my "secrect" MSN account, there are now only a few email addresses left and they are all bundeled together so W can check them all with one click.
I have not yet changed my cellphone number but I will talking to the phone company next week and sorting that out.

As you can see I/we are taking prcautions to avoid/prevent contact with OW and by talking and writing about them it helps re-enforce in my mind the importance of NC.
Yes it would be better if W could join me on this trip away but because of her commitments on the farm and the complete lack of alternate labour to replace her (even short term) and due to time constraints on my bussiness, it is just not possible this time. I will be staying with family and they will keep an eye on me.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm "going on" a bit, I just started writing a very short reply and forgot when to stop.

Fatty

Flick
S
S
This is good stuff, Fatty. Keep it up.

Me-BS-38
Married 1997; son, 8yo
Divorced April 2009
A
A
Wow Fatty you def do alot of differerent jobs! Loved the way you and LD met over a call in.

Glad you are improving and working on yourself and you W. And WTG on kissing her on the lips for the first time again!

Im sure there will be more good things to be told to us and keep listening to everyone here. Doesnt mean you have to follow what one says!

Best of luck going out later on.

Married 1996
4 wonderful children 16, 13 *OC*, 10, 7
FWW 30's
FWH 30's
My dday 1-2007 he came clean to me

My story
New beginings
B
B
Having the same cell number worries me. OW don't often give up easily. And any contact at all will put you right back to Day 1 of NC.

I know you think you are over her, but it is kind of like an slcoholic who is "over" getting drunk, or a heroin addict that has decided to stop slamming. Affairs are very addictive, and it is not so much the OW, but how an affair makes you feel.

Anyway, prayers going with you, and you can always check in here for support. We'll all tell you "NO FATTY NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

V
V
People who have been swept off their feet know the feeling. Love makes us all feel funny. That sense of giddy disorientation, unsinkable euphoria and complete obsession with a new love can be so overpowering, that it's hard to imagine it's all about emotion. Now scientists are confirming there indeed may be a lot more going on in a body that's in love than simple, happy thoughts. In fact, a spate of research has shown what kind of chemical and neurological activities occur at different stages of human and animal relationships. While the results hardly make love less mysterious, they do start to shed light on why it can make people feel so funny.

DOPED UP

Helen Fisher, a research professor of anthropology at Rutgers University , is among many scientists who believe the flush of a new love is enhanced by natural stimulants in the brain, dopamine and norepinphrine. She explains that high levels of these natural chemicals can make people lose their appetites and their desire for sleep, just by thinking about their new infatuations. 'These are basic traits commonly associated with romantic love and with these natural stimulants,' she says. 'What else could explain the way you constantly think about a person, about the way you want to read them your bad poetry?'

Further studies show that gushy romantic sensations may be similar to the highs drug addicts feel when they're under the influence. Nora Volkow; the associate director for life sciences at Brookhaven National Laboratory in New York , has analysed the behaviours of drug addicts and people in love and found striking parallels. 'When a person is passionately in love, it is extremely exciting and provocative, and if the loved one is not there, distressing,' says Volkow. 'When I see my drug addicted patients, it just clicks with me how similar the addiction is. 'The fact that drug addiction and passionate love may trigger the same responses, signals to Volkow that drug addiction is especially dangerous since it taps into a natural sensation.

You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

The person who is always finding fault seldom finds anything else.

I pity the fool. - Mr. T
V
V
In the first two stages of love, the chemical phenylethylamine also appears in the brain. Phenylethylamine is the "love drug" in chocolate. It helps maintain the euphoric high of falling in love. If partners break up, phenylethylamine levels plummet, causing depression and woe.

After two to five years, phenylethylamine leaves the body naturally. It's replaced by other, more stable chemicals.

You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

The person who is always finding fault seldom finds anything else.

I pity the fool. - Mr. T
B
B
Did you make it through your trip okay? Hoping you did.

K
K
Hoping to hear you made it through your trip with no contact attempts from OW! Remember, if she DID try to contact you, even if you ignored her, it is crucial that you let your wife know ASAP.

Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
2 members (2 invisible), 476 guests, and 72 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation