Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 226 of 339 1 2 224 225 226 227 228 338 339
L
L
Hi Queenine,

Just wanted to say hi, and let you know Istill come and read your thread from time to time, I just dont have enuff time to post.
anyway I think your doing real well, and you still inspire me

[[[[hugs[]]]]

Recovered marriage, recovering self, life gets better everyday laugh
C
C
So, you have to buy a special scroll to put in your mezuzah? (forgive me if I didn't spell that right) Well, I didn't know that.

I can do calligraphy. I would make you one if that was allowed but, not being Jewish, I get it wouldn't be right. Bummer. I would find a special blessing for your home. One for peace and love.

BTW, the rabbi from the Orthodox synagogue across the street from where I go to church will be speaking to my congregation Wednesday evening. He is good friends with the minister at my congregation. We have worked with them on some charitable efforts. The first was a donation effort for Katrina/Rita victims a few years ago. Phil and Saul drove a truck to Mississippi for victims. Phil suggested that some of the items be taken to a synagogue there but Saul said the churches would have more need.

Can you imagine the Orthodox rabbi and a conservative Christian minister cooped up in the cab of that truck for 16 hours. I bet those were some interesting conversations.

I bet Saul could find me a good blessing for you.

Q
OP Offline
Q
So, you have to buy a special scroll to put in your mezuzah? (forgive me if I didn't spell that right)
Actually you did spell it right. And yes, a certain prayer comes in a mezuzah. If it comes on "real" paper its a lot of money, if it copied, it's cheap, dirt cheap.

The mezuzah is not, as some suppose, a good-luck charm, nor does it have any connection with the lamb's blood placed on the doorposts in Egypt. Rather, it is a constant reminder of G-d's presence and G-d's mitzvot.

The mitzvah to place mezuzot on the doorposts of our houses is derived from Deut. 6:4-9, a passage commonly known as the Shema (Heb: Hear, from the first word of the passage). In that passage, G-d commands us to keep His words constantly in our minds and in our hearts by (among other things) writing them on the doorposts of our house. The words of the Shema are written on a tiny scroll of parchment, along with the words of a companion passage, Deut. 11:13-21. On the back of the scroll, a name of G-d is written. The scroll is then rolled up and placed in the case, so that the first letter of the Name (the letter Shin) is visible (or, more commonly, the letter Shin is written on the outside of the case).

The scroll must be handwritten in a special style of writing and must be placed in the case to fulfill the mitzvah. It is commonplace for gift shops to sell cases without scrolls, or with mechanically printed scrolls, because a proper scroll costs more than even an elaborately decorated case ($30-$50 for a valid scroll is quite reasonable). According to traditional authorities, mechanically printed scrolls do not fulfill the mitzvah of the mezuzah, nor does an empty case. Personally, I do the copy version if I don't get one because of my budget and I think having one is more important than not. smile

Can you imagine the Orthodox rabbi and a conservative Christian minister cooped up in the cab of that truck for 16 hours. I bet those were some interesting conversations.
No kidding.

BS 52, FWH 53, Married 1-1-84
D-day 5-14-07, WH moved in with OW
Plan A 9 months, DARK Plan B 3-17-08 until 3-2-09
WH and OW broke up 1-09
Started over 7-09
P
P
Queenie, this is all so interesting. I've been learning just reading what you guys read. It's funny though because my DH has been going to a guy's home each Friday night and they've been studying the Jewish culture, the Torah, etc. and how it relates in so many ways to they way things are today.

The group is a hodgepodge of people from different religious backgrounds including, Catholic, a former Orthodox Jew, non-denominational, Messanic Jews, a former athesist, etc. I haven't been because of my schedule, but it sounds interesting.

He came home one night and mentioned something (I forget now what it was) and I was able to say, oh yeah, I knew that. He was like, really? How did YOU know that? I told him that I've learned some things from reading your thread.

Anyway, just thought you'd like to know how you unknowingly have been teaching me a few things. I have always loved the Jewish people and their culture and traditions. smile

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
Q
OP Offline
Q
Oh thank you PM, that is so kind of you to say..

He came home one night and mentioned something (I forget now what it was) and I was able to say, oh yeah, I knew that. He was like, really? How did YOU know that? I told him that I've learned some things from reading your thread.
Wow, this is very cool. I think I am learning alot about other faiths being on here as well. It might not change who we are, but it certainly helps us be more understanding and accepting of our differences. At least for me. smile

But then there is the Redskins deal, eh? :RollieEyes:

WH and OW broke up 1-09
Started over 7-09
P
P
But then there is the Redskins deal, eh?

There IS that! I'll NEVER understand how someone could NOT be a COWBOY's fan. laugh

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
Q
OP Offline
Q
There IS that! I'll NEVER understand how someone could NOT be a COWBOY's fan.

Vice versa babe, vice versa

WH and OW broke up 1-09
Started over 7-09
L
L
Hi Queenie,

So true, not to mention you feel like you are starting to overcome that deep pain.

This is definitely a good sign, Queenie!

Keep up the good work. cool

XBW
DS16 & DS22
PLAN D: finalized!
Q
OP Offline
Q
This is definitely a good sign, Queenie!

Keep up the good work.
Thank you Luna. I really am working hard to rebuild my life and move on without H.

WH and OW broke up 1-09
Started over 7-09
B
B
Ladies,

About the kosher scroll price: My soon to be synagogue's gift shop charges $25 for a kosher scroll. I purchased mezuzot for each entry door to my house. Since April I've been in the process to convert to Conservative Judaism. I am trying to do things correctly, while not being extravagent.

Not certain when this process will be complete; there are several steps to take, among them learn a little Hebrew. My brain is kinda old and stiff, doesn't take kindly to new information.

Saving my shekels for trip to Israel in February 2009, so not buying luxury mezuzot or any other stuff.

Belle, Domestic Goddess
Q
OP Offline
Q
Since April I've been in the process to convert to Conservative Judaism. I am trying to do things correctly, while not being extravagent.
Are you a Jew by choice? Or converting to a different sect?

My friend who converted many years ago, did it very simply, one step at a time. So keep it simply and know you are doing your best as you move forward.

Before I moved to WA, my family and I belonged to a conservative temple. When we moved here we joined a reformed one, but my heart really belongs with conservative. The only saving grace is that I can be as observant as I like with reform.

Saving my shekels for trip to Israel in February 2009, so not buying luxury mezuzot or any other stuff.
Wow, I am planning to go next year as well.

laugh

WH and OW broke up 1-09
Started over 7-09
L
L
Hi Queenie & Belle,

Wow, I am planning to go next year as well.

This is going to be helpful in keeping you busy and focused on the good things in life cool (but more importantly....it makes it EASIER to NOT focus on....other things! wink )

XBW
DS16 & DS22
PLAN D: finalized!
H
H
Hi Queenie,I haven't forgotten you! I still read your thread,glad to see you hanging in there....

I know you also get daily devotionals from a website(don't know if I can mention it!!).What do you think of their thoughts on posting on chat sites like MB.They don't like the idea of discussing all that the WW is doing "with the rest of the world".I personally don't come on here to bad-mouth my WH, more to gain support and knowledge from the vets and others in the same boat.It did make me think a bit though...we don't use our 'real" names etc so are we doing anything wrong from a Godly perspective?What are your thoughts on this?

BS;ME43,WH45
DS19,DS16
DDay:6Dec06
WH left12Dec06
DIV:3Dec08
WH marries OW 21days later!

C
C
In the New Testament, we are exhorted to pray for one another, confess to one another, and to help one another. The older men and women (the ones w/ more experience) are to teach the younger ones.

B
B
Queenie, a Jew by choice. Taking classes, doing this one step at a time, and Conservative is my path.

When next year are you making Aliyah, Queenie?

B
B
lunamare, it certainly does keep one focussed away from painful useless ruminating. wink

Q
OP Offline
Q
Belle,

Queenie, a Jew by choice. Taking classes, doing this one step at a time, and Conservative is my path.
Very cool. How did you decide on the conservative path?

Do you have a sisterhood that you are connected to for support?

I am hoping to make aliyah next spring vacation or summer, not sure what my budget will allow.

Quick catch up, I have been doing my best to keep my focus off of WH. He still hasn't given any money. My A has not contacted me back and the state is working on it. The bad news is it's taking a toll on my spirit and my food is AWFUL.

The good news is that I am moving forward signing people up in my business and working the retail end a littel more diligently. But its so out of my comfort zone that I am struggling.

My YS comes home on Tuesday and I will be so glad to have him back, but then there is the feeding him and he won't like what food we have in the home. I'll just keep praying for a solution by then.

Intro's thread on BS taking the blame has just knocked me for a loop and all those bad feelings and blame has really sent me spiralling. I am working hard to just keep going through, let go and let G-d, but it's done a number on me for sure.

It's supposed to be hot, 90 degree hot for the next couple of days, thank goodness I have nothing planned for the weekend and can pretty much vegetate at the pool.

Sorry it's not better news, but it's not the worst and I know enough to keep moving and know it will get better. I just have to keep praying for faith and courage.

WH and OW broke up 1-09
Started over 7-09
A
A
Just keep positive on things as hard as it maybe. Dont push yourself and do baby steps.

Im sure YS will understand its a hard time right now and will do his best to be patient. Just guide him and tell him that you are doing your best and one day this will be a distant memory.

As for Intros thread I see where you are feeling down and out about it. But you know YOU tried everything and was working on a more happy M when WH decided to uproot and leave. Each person here is different in many ways yet the same. We are/have been hurt by something that isnt right in the M. Intro has alot of pain to work thru that you are ahead in many stages if WH was to return. Hes questioning alot of things and doesnt realize its his pain even if he doesnt feel it or express it.

The weather here is hot. And I do not look foward to going to work and running around cleaning up after people when they make messes at the store.... I wish there was a pool here. Maybe if the weekends nice we will go over to my moms and use her pool.

Hugs and well unfortantly I have to get ready for work or I would chat it up.

((((HUGS))))) Queenie

Married 1996
4 wonderful children 16, 13 *OC*, 10, 7
FWW 30's
FWH 30's
My dday 1-2007 he came clean to me

My story
New beginings
Q
OP Offline
Q
Thanks Pretty,

I'm sorry its so hot by there. I can only imagine what it's like. Well, yes I know. I am from the east coast and I know it's nasty.

I applied for food stamps today. I might be eligible for over 450.00. That would certainly help me with the boys. Evidently the government either raised or lowered the poverty level and I am totally there now.

How special. Actually I am pretty grateful. Hopefully I will hear something soon.

WH and OW broke up 1-09
Started over 7-09
C
C
((Queenie))))

My thoughts are with you. I am so sorry that you have to go through this. I can't believe that your WH would do this to you and the kids.

Please hang in there because I know it will get better.....

BS - me 56
XWH - 57

12/25/06 - Dday - WH promised NC. Plan A in effect. Thought we were in recovery.

6-3-07 - Dday#2 Found out NC never took place and A never ended. Found MB NC promised again, but WH would not write NC letter.

9/07 - Dday #3. Still lying and sneaking around. Plan B implemented
WH wants nothing to do with me

Divorced as of 12/09 after 36 years
Page 226 of 339 1 2 224 225 226 227 228 338 339

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 507 guests, and 41 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation