Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
Hey MB people-

I heard on Oprah last friday that they are doing an Oprah show about Infidelity and are looking for people to go on the show.

About 6 months ago, i sent an e mail to the Oprah show suggesting they do a show about HEALING from infidelity. i told them how common infidelity is and that very few shows talk about the possibility of healing a marriage and even making it better. Most of the shows just like to broadcast all the hurt it causes, but offer little hope for reconciliation.

Then last Friday , i am standing in my kitchen and hear them announce this topic!!

I almost fell over!

i just e mailed the office for MB to ask them to have one of the Harleys to contact the Oprah show to be on it. i hope they do.

We need to get the message out there that recovery is possible and that most marriages can improve if the couple is committed to it.

i would love to go on the show, but my DD11 has no idea of the infidelity and my DS dont know the extent of it... so in an interest of protecting them, i wouldnt submit my story.

BUT - which of you MB experts out there would submit to go on the show??

SCHOOLBUS??
Pepper??

I am new here but i am sure there are many others>

just go to www.oprah.com and look for the link.

smile SO.. come on all of you positive people who write so beautifully- lets spread the word that we CAN HEAL- THAT OUR MARRIAGES ARE BETTER AND THAT WE CAN GROW AS PEOPLE.

SF

BS- me 56; FWH-58
3 kids, DS 23,23 DD 14; Married: 34 years
D-Days: 7/11/07;/7/13/07;7/31/07
Unbelievably recovering- but in an up and down way.
M
mvg Offline
M
I hope Oprah will do the show on the healing aspects and not just the hurts.

It WOULD BE WONDERFUL if the Harleys participated!!!

Thanks for letting us know about it.

EA4-7/07,Dday7/29,NC 7/30/07
ME 47 WH 48
Married 30 yrs.
2 DD,4 GC
Found out
Learning
D
D
I, too, contacted the Oprah show. It was in the midst of some heavy anger,tho, and I'm sure it bled through in my letter.

They were advertising for hopefuls on yesterday's show, also.

However, with some recent comments made by Oprah herself (who was an OW), I am very leery of ANY show she does regarding infidelity. I do not believe that she is the person to talk to about these things since upon hearing her comments with fellow OW Barbara Wa-wa, I do not believe that she holds herself accountable for the 50% of the pain she dealt to the MM's BW.

I never had to take the Kobayashi Maru test until now. What do you think of my solution?

O'hana means family, and family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten.

My Story

Recovered!
P
P
The only Oprah show I would go on would be the big give away show ... high end 'stuff' and lots of it grin

I've been on TV a couple of times - The one time I will mention, I was on People's Court (Wapner grumble and Llewelyn smile )
and it took me YEARS to live it down because it involved my cat getting beat up by a pit bull terrier - so everytime a pit bull terrier chewed a child in Los Angeles (all the time - it is the #1 dog choice for gang-bangers) People's Court re ran 'my' episode. My patients saw it and would comment "Saw you on TV. How's your cat?"

The show is not doing re runs anymore - uhuh

Reality TV producers can edit the daylights out of anything you say or do even if you think you are off camera - if you are tired between takes and you think the camera is off - it's NOT off - and they can catch you making a 'face' and edit so it looks like you made that 'face' in reaction to something someone said - faint

I bet Oprah will not turn out to be a 'pitbull' against infidelity and support marriage the way we do here. I bet she will try to stay somewhat neutral and humanistic. We'll see. It could be a very interesting show. I'll TEVO the show - and watch commercial free dance2

We can have an entire thread devoted to deconstructing that Oprah show --- complete with popcorn - softdrinks - party hats grin

We can have 'rules' for our Oprah Show thread - every sentence must begin with "Oprah said" ... rotflmao

I'm just too silly today

Pep

P
P
We've had MBer go on Dr Phil -

It was not pretty - they later divorced

M
M
Originally Posted by Pepperband

Really? Which MBer?

ManInMotion
===========
(see "MiM's Story" for more details)
M
M
Only if she denounces that Satan incarnate Eckhart Tolle... pray Not likely... sick

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

D
D

Nothing about that was pretty.

Many hurts involved there.

I never had to take the Kobayashi Maru test until now. What do you think of my solution?

O'hana means family, and family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten.

My Story

Recovered!
P
P
Originally Posted by MrsWondering
Only if she denounces that Satan incarnate Eckhart Tolle... pray Not likely... sick

Mrs. W

quit being so neutral and playing it safe - tell us what you REALLY think about Tolle

rotflmao Pep

P
P
Originally Posted by ManInMotion

Really? Which MBer?

ugh

link to show

J
J
Yanno, Oprah is human - and I've seen her mind/viewpoint changed a handful of times as the result of one of her shows/guests on her show. I'm shocked that vets here are such nay-sayers about her! This is an opportunity to educate her, and her HUGE audience...why not take it? It happens here all the time.

What's the beef with Tolle? I'm not a fan or a hater, have 2 of his books but at this point in my reading/healing/whathaveyou cannot grasp either.

I saw that couple on Dr. Phil! I like Dr. Phil too but lately he's more pro-divorce than I recall him being or am comfortable with personally. Wonder if it's true he's actually getting divorced now too?!

LIFE IS GOOD
O
O
Pep,

Thanks for the link. That was a sad story, but it was inspiring to see that she wasn't going to allow the cake eating and fence sitting any longer. She looked GREAT in the update! It shows that you can make it, even if you have a WS that won't stop seeing the OP. Her WH made my stomach turn, I'm glad she kicked him out.

BS(me) - 40
FWH - 36

6 years of discovery.
Now - one day at a time....
M
M
Originally Posted by MrsWondering

Mrs. W

quit being so neutral and playing it safe - tell us what you REALLY think about Tolle

rotflmao Pep

Yeah, I'm kinda shy about what I think...I should really work on that! grin

Originally Posted by Julie
What's the beef with Tolle? I'm not a fan or a hater, have 2 of his books but at this point in my reading/healing/whathaveyou cannot grasp either.

Ah Julie...There is just sooooooooo much wrong with that guy...Things that he espouses directly contradict scripture, so for me, that eliminates him as a source of anything positive...The way he does it is even worse...He tries to wrap up his rhetoric WITH scripture so that those not really aware can become ensnared...Scary, very, very scary...

I personally know of two active wayward wives that were taking part in that online class offered by Oprah and Tolle - eating it up...Pretty much anything embraced by active waywards is poison...I know, I remember, I've BTDT and thankfully, by the Grace of God, I made it to the other side...

Go check on youtube...there you can view some of the material from the online classes...he has the creepy dead fish eyes of a wayward even...

*shudder*

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

J
J
Thank you for your candor.

I actually registered for the class & attended the first one. But, I just can't grasp what he talks about - he's too deep for me - or something. Now, Louise Hay, on the other hand...me & her are tight.

I was not raised with nor have I done much seeking of scripture so I'm one of the ones you speak of that doesn't get it! I figured I was a little too simple. Anyway, I appreciate your perspective.

I'm still not ready to give up on Oprah.

LIFE IS GOOD
S
OP Offline
S
I did not know that Oprah was OW!! did she reveal that on her show???

also- i dont get why eckert tolle is so bad- i like alot of what he says- but sometimes i dont understand what he says.

the dr. phil show about that couple was sad- but i DO agree- the BS Candi- looked fantastic on the update!

but this just confirms my thought that all these talk shows feature people whose marriages have fallen apart due to infidelity.

we need to get the word out that IT IS POSSIBLE TO HEAL A MARRIAGE AFTER INFIDELITY-but that very specific actions need to be taken.

There are millions of people who watch Oprah, who could benefit from this message... and it wouldnt be bad for the OP out there to know this too.

SF

BS- me 56; FWH-58
3 kids, DS 23,23 DD 14; Married: 34 years
D-Days: 7/11/07;/7/13/07;7/31/07
Unbelievably recovering- but in an up and down way.
I
I
I enjoy Oprah's shows. Nevertheless, I'm NOT handing in my man card.

I do appreciate the fact that she is willing to volunteer her own opinion. I don't appreciate her embracing Humanism and pluralizing Christianity.

I have deep concern when folk communicate to me and others quoting the Gospel according to St Oprah. Do you think that these folk are swept with peer pressure or does she do subliminal indoctrination?

Dr Phil impressed me from day one with his straight talk and quaint expressions. There were situations, however, which seemed to play to the crowd rather than fix the problem.

What if Dr Harley were to video cases and play those that had satisfactory conclusions? Actors could play out situations that represented past case history.

Hmmmmm??

But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams -Yeats
S
S
S-55,

I don't know that I would ever be capable of going on national TV.

Just isn't in my deck of cards.

The privacy factor in my life is way too high. I share my story with people here, and in my life, sure. But to millions - many of whom are simply voyeurs, I don't know.

Oprah...........hmmmm. I go hot and cold with her. She has many good qualities and I'm sure she has offered many things that have been positive to many people. Her evolution over the years - consider the early days of her shows with the shock TV stuff she did - shows that she is willing to change her ideas and direction. Her attitude toward being the OW? Tells me she is a typical human being, and very much at this point in her life at least, egotistical and resistant to looking at her faults and weaknesses.

Broken, like the rest of us.

I think it is harder for us to give her that because she is rich and famous, and has this platform from which she is able to talk about her ideas and opinions, and so many people seem to worship her and follow blindly. But she remains human, egotistical, etc. - what makes us so angry is that those of us who recognize her problems (especially the other woman issue!) is that those acolytes do NOT see it, and do not hold her accountable for it.

So for me, I look at her like I look at every other person on the planet. I take the good with the bad, and that's that. I sort out whether or not one outweighs the other to the point where I choose not to associate or watch or read or otherwise engage with that person.

I don't really care how much money a person makes, how famous, how cool, how pretty, how thin, how "nice", how....anything.

Your character makes me your friend or associate. Anything else is BS, and I don't mean betrayed spouse.

SB

Lucky to be where I am, in a safe place to get marriage-related support.
Recovered.
Happy.
Most recent D-day Fall 2005
Our new marriage began that day. Not easily, but it did happen.
M
M
I don't really care how much money a person makes, how famous, how cool, how pretty, how thin, how "nice", how....anything.

Your character makes me your friend or associate. Anything else is BS, and I don't mean betrayed spouse.

well said. I agree.

P
P
Do you think that these folk are swept with peer pressure or does she do subliminal indoctrination?

Oprah is incredibly charismatic ... she looks people in the eye when they talk and appears to actually be listening .... this is intoxicating and it draws people to her

D
D
On one hand it's a good idea but on the other...I think it would be revealing too much strategy to the enemy.

Sure, BS's would come here for help but then lots of WS's would as well, IMHO.

And in war, we sure don't want to reveal too much to the enemy!

Heck, I would offer to go on myself but I don't really care about being on tv and since I live in a small town I think it would just be too bothersome to do it.

If I cared about embarrassing the crap out of Slag even more than she's done to herself, though, I would do it. OWH said her worst fear was being called to go on Jerry Springer. Well, Oprah would do. Audience is probably just as big. And OWH would do it, he's a spunky one!

But I really hope he doesn't! The possibility DOES exist, however. He's starting to get combative since we went to court so I don't know! He might!

Charlotte

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,079 guests, and 45 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation