Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 17 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 16 17
F
Flick Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by tst
Flick,

The entire point of EP's is to make your wife feel safe. If you have given this list to your wife and allowed her to make ALL the changes that make her feel safe, then you have completed the task. I would suggest you review these with Lil every month for 6 months and see if she needs you to add anything to your list.

If you are discussing things together and defaulting to what Lil wants/needs on your list to make her feel safe, then you are doing well.

Jolly good. We discussed them as we wrote them and your post just made us discuss them more. Even though we did not change them much it was a good confirmation that we had written a good list of EPs.
Thanks for taking the time to read my EPs and comment on them, I do appreciate it.

Flick
B
B
Oh, I know exactly what you mean by having wanted a boy. I had 2 boys, and no girls. Now I watch my sister and her daughter and envy their relationship. She enjoys a whole other part of life that I've never experienced - shopping, talking, etc.

I did have step-daughters, and we were close, but when the marriage ended, most contact with them did to.

I love PK and support them through contributions, but I think that they go a bita overboard by giving men so much responsiblity for the marriage. But some men NEED that. You are not one of them. You have been a good husband, father. Not perfect, but your wife still loves and respects you. So I think you have done well for most of your life.

It is interesting to hear about where you live. Here it is just one long city from Mexico to Los Angeles.

F
Flick Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by believer
It is interesting to hear about where you live. Here it is just one long city from Mexico to Los Angeles.

If you want to get an idea of what the place is like have a look on Google Earth (or maps) at the land around "Mount Egmont, Taranaki, New Zealand".
We might set up a video camera on the bike one day and post a few clips on the interweb for y'all to look at.
Weather is not great today, cloudy and cool 9C(48F), so I might leave the bike in the shed today grumble, unless Lil gets enthusiastic and wants to go for a ride on her "LilHonda" rotflmao. I'll just turn my heated grips on and at least I'll have warm hands.

Flick logs off, still singing to himself "first gear, it's alright, second gear hold on tight, going faster, alright...."

Flick
B
B
SO flick, after the EP's what is the next step?

Me: 56 (FBS) Wife: 55 (FWW)
D-Day August 2005
Married 11/1982 3 Sons 27,25,23
Empty Nesters.
Fully Recovered.
L
L
Flick:

I never been a member of Promise Keepers, so I will just point out what's wrong with this statement:

Promise Keepers was a bit of a let down this year. It is the third one I have been to and this year I found that the speakers were very very similar to last year and there was no truely new material. Also I found that one of the speakers, who was talking on marriage, was saying a bunch of stuff that does not line up with MB philosophy. The basic idea that he was preaching was that "if anything is wrong with a marriage it is the husbands fault". MB says that marriage is two equal shares I am responsible for my 50% and my wife is responsible for her 50%.

The MB philosphy is about the 50/50 marriage. PK seems to be directed at MEN. And as such, it is what the MAN should be doing.

If your Marriage is in bad shape, WHAT are you doing to FIX IT?

- Talking with your spouse to find out what is wrong?
- Spending time with your children to learn more about them and to provide a proper role model?
- Providing income that helps support your family in a manner that is acceptable to your spouse?
- If you can't provide the financial support noted above, are you working on ways to correct, and being honest with your spouse about it?

I won't get into the wife working part of your statement, as mine has for our entire M. And I would reject that part of PK.

But pointing out that you are 100% responsible for your M, and then you stating that you like the MB 50/50 model appears to be backsliding to me.

Right now? It's 100% your responsibility to fix it.

You have been doing well, but stay on track, and focused.

LG

bu

J
J
We might set up a video camera on the bike one day and post a few clips on the interweb for y'all to look at.

Oooh, I'm awful glad to see converts to using the good word!

Just dropping in to see how you're doing and to let you know ppl are here for you. I'll back off now and leave you to tst, BK and LG. *wave* I hope they keep posting to you!

me - 47 tired
H - 39 cool
married 2001
DS 8a think
DS 8b :crosseyedcrazy:
(Why is DS7b now a blockhead???)
(Ack! Now he's not even a blockhead, just a word! That's no fun!)
B
B
I'll keep posting if flick engages....

D-Day August 2005
Empty Nesters.
Fully Recovered.
T
T
I actually think marriage should be 100%/100%. Both spouses need to put all their effort into the marriage, just like you would put all your effort into a new relationship, you should not put less effort into you marriage than you would put into an A or a new GF/BF.

BW 38 (me)
FWH 42
Married 7 years
DD 6
SD 15
11-2006 H said he wanted a divorce and walked out
3-2007 I told H I wanted him back
3-2007 to 4-2007 D-day's
4-2007 H moved back in for good
Today-In recovery, but a long way to recovered
B
B
Gosh, I'm embarrassed. I tried to look it up on google earth and ended up in New Guinea. But I finally found NZ and saw Wellington, but can't find Naki. Is it in the south, west or east?

K
K
B, it's our kiwi slang.

The 'Naki is the affectionate name we call Taranaki. If you find Mt Taranaki on google earth you'll find where Flick and Lil live.

B
B
Jen- Are they in the east, south or west? I'm looking on google earth, but it's a big country.

K
K
Originally Posted by believer
Jen- Are they in the east, south or west? I'm looking on google earth, but it's a big country.

lol, if you're looking at a big country you're not looking at NZ. j/k

They are on the west of the North Island. It's the roundy bit that sticks out beneath the skinny bit. crazy crazy

B
B
Oh, I found it! But I thought they lived by the ocean.........

K
K
They do.

B
B
Hmmm - Naki doesn't seem to be all that close to the ocean.

F
Flick Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by bigkahuna
SO flick, after the EP's what is the next step?
Hi Bigkahuna,
well we just finished doing the LBs. Lil says I AO & IB and she would know, after all she has been living with me for 14 years.

We also have done the ENs and we were both a bit suprised at what eachother stop ones are. Lils top 5 are Af, H&O, SF, C and Ad.

My top 5 are RC, PA, SF, C, and Ad.

Then we are gonna do the LBQ.

And of course we are both doing what we can to put it all in to practice.

Flick
F
Flick Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by TryingToLetItGo
I actually think marriage should be 100%/100%. Both spouses need to put all their effort into the marriage, just like you would put all your effort into a new relationship, you should not put less effort into you marriage than you would put into an A or a new GF/BF.

I see your point, BUT I passed my school exams in maths and what you are proposing is a mathimatical impossibility. It also goes against Dr Harleys teachings. See SAA, or BC for details - sorry can't recall exactly where it is.

Basically, I own 50% of my marriage, my wife owns the other 50% - that makes 100%.
As far as the A goes that is 100% mine, my doing, my mistake, my choice.

Flick
B
B
So if you are not giving your marriage your ALL (AKA 100%) What else are you putting your energies into? Is it as important as your marriage? Did you give your affair everything you've got?

Both spouses putting all into their marriage isn't a mathematical impossibility. It makes a marriage fulfilling.

You identified the top EN's - excellent. How well do you both do at meeting those needs and do you have a plan to bridge the gap?

D-Day August 2005
Empty Nesters.
Fully Recovered.
K
K
Flick, please don't let HeavensDoor, who is a troll, engage you in conversation. It's a waste of emotional energy.

Abd btw, I'm glad you and LilDoggie are doing better!

F
Flick Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by lousygolfer
Flick:

I never been a member of Promise Keepers, so I will just point out what's wrong with this statement:

Promise Keepers was a bit of a let down this year. It is the third one I have been to and this year I found that the speakers were very very similar to last year and there was no truely new material. Also I found that one of the speakers, who was talking on marriage, was saying a bunch of stuff that does not line up with MB philosophy. The basic idea that he was preaching was that "if anything is wrong with a marriage it is the husbands fault". MB says that marriage is two equal shares I am responsible for my 50% and my wife is responsible for her 50%.

The MB philosphy is about the 50/50 marriage. PK seems to be directed at MEN. And as such, it is what the MAN should be doing.

I won't get into the wife working part of your statement, as mine has for our entire M. And I would reject that part of PK.

But pointing out that you are 100% responsible for your M, and then you stating that you like the MB 50/50 model appears to be backsliding to me.

Right now? It's 100% your responsibility to fix it.

Again, as stated in a previous post, it is simple maths, 50% + 50% = 100%. If I take responsibility for 100% of the marriage then what does that leave for my wife to be responsible for? As far as fixing my marriage then the responsibility slides toward me, maybe something like 70% 30% (Lil and I just had a quick chat about this), I am afterall the one who just about destroyed the marriage by having an A. If I were 100% responsible for fixing the marriage then Lil would be required to do nothing and I can't see how that would work.

As far as the comment about women working, I was just echoing the PK message. My wife, Lil, has worked for most of our married life and is the main worker now and has been for the last few years. I am only employed on a casual basis and only work a few days a month, however my income is above the national average. What I am trying to say is that Lil and I are both happy with the way we bring money in to the house.

As already stated I am 100% responsible for the A. I am not totally responsible for creating the evironment that made the A look inviting. Am am the only one who decided to have an A and see it through.

Thanks for your thoughts, always good to have another view point, it keeps the brain working.

Flick
Page 12 of 17 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 16 17

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
2 members (2 invisible), 476 guests, and 72 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation