Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
K
K
I haven't heard of them "divorcing" their wives before going to war and "remarrying them" after they came back. I thought David had him SENT to war, and he had his eye on her when she was still another man's wife. At any rate, his consequences were hard, and and it was later that he was "a man after God's own heart"...he did not divorce Bathsheba.

Last edited by Vows4Good; 09/26/08 02:33 PM.

Enacting life's lessons into positive change... .
C
C
Originally Posted by Mark1952
The passage in II Samuel about David and Bathsheba begins in chapter 11. Verse 1 says that in spring when kings led their armies off to war, David sent Joab with the Israeli army off to battle.

David was already not doing what he was called to do by God when he walked onto his roof and saw Bathsheba. He was already likely in a mode of justifying before God the choices he had made. He was already acting selfishly instead of putting the good of the kingdom God had given him ahead of his own personal comfort and well being.

So when he saw Bathsheba, it was an easy step for him to fall into that sin because he was already in sin against God by not doing what God expected him to do.

The cost to David was a family that simply went all to pieces very quickly. He could no longer speak to his sons from the moral high ground and it led to consequences that lasted for generations.

I have a post about this chapter and a few others in my Musings thread on page 9 called The Women of David.

Mark

Last edited by Revera; 09/27/08 10:14 AM. Reason: moderators edit removed by poster - do not remove mod edits!
M
M
another personal attack. I addressed the issue. Can you argue the points?

On another scale, I think you are a ****EDIT****

thanks for editing your post....from their email to your keyboard. Very good.

Last edited by Choctaw; 09/26/08 05:26 PM. Reason: TOS
C
C
that was disrespectful

R
R
Please keep it respectful and on topic without the personal attacks.

Thanks..

Revera01@aol.com
I
I
I think that the account of David and Bathsheba is a little OT here: This is example is description of a situation and not prescription of Law.

Neak pretty much hits the nail where she quotes Mark 10:12 and Luke 16:18. Namely, marriage to an UNLAWFULLY divorced woman is continuation of adultery.

I am pretty interested in how these ramifications play out.

So, Tc99, there it is. Whatcha gonna do???

PS. There are cases for lawful divorce but your sitch isn't one of them.

But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams -Yeats
M
M

Last edited by medc; 09/26/08 05:43 PM.
M
M
Originally Posted by imagine
I think that the account of David and Bathsheba is a little OT here: This is example is description of a situation and not prescription of Law.

Neak pretty much hits the nail where she quotes Mark 10:12 and Luke 16:18. Namely, marriage to an UNLAWFULLY divorced woman is continuation of adultery.

good post

M
M

T
Tc99m Offline OP
OP Offline
T

Those 2 verses dont answer my questions whatsoever.

If anything theyre telling me that I'm continuing to commit adultery as long as I'm married to my wife.

Please explain YOUR interpretation of these 2 verses.

I
I

[/quote]

If anything theyre telling me that I'm continuing to commit adultery as long as I'm married to my wife.

[/quote]

Bingo!

Look! I don't write Scripture. The one thing that I have proved to myself though is that His way is better than mine.

By all means contact your pastor for clarification.

But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams -Yeats
C
C
Tc, there is one other piece of information you might need: the sin against the Holy Spirit, the only one that is not forgiven. According to the Catholic Church this is the definition:

1864 "Whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin."136 There are no limits to the mercy of God, but anyone who deliberately refuses to accept his mercy by repenting, rejects the forgiveness of his sins and the salvation offered by the Holy Spirit.137 Such hardness of heart can lead to final impenitence and eternal loss.

I think you are repenting but you would have to speak to some pastor about the next steps...

N
N
Many pastors will tell you you're fine married to your wife. Precious few will uphold the clear Word, and say as long as you're "sorry" it's no longer adultery.

Talk to a pastor, sure, but the standard you need to hold to is the Bible, and not what me, anyone here, or any pastor thinks.

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
~ English proverb

Neak's Story
S
S
Tc,

You will get conflicting information from people. Some will give you scripture to back it up. The thing is, does the scripture they use to back it up, fall in line with all other scripture.

An example might be...

1Corinthians 7:15
15 But if the unbeliever leaves, let him do so. A believing man or woman is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace.

Your wife was an unbeliever when she wanted to leave her M right? So according to this scripture, if her ex let her go then she was lawfully divorced according to this scripture.

Don't just listen to people that give scripture to support their POV. Their POV should be supported by all scripture. I've seen people use scripture to justify divorces to enter ministry, to have affairs, even to kill someone. The thing is, Scripture will always support itself. And God never changes. He won't say one thing one time and then change his mind later or say something different later.

Take all the scripture people are giving you and see how it can all fit together supporting itself. You may have to think out of the box a bit.

Then look at the advice you are being given. But by that time you will already know and won't need the opinion of others.

BTW - Scripture calls Bathsheba Uriah's wife in 2 Samuel 12:15. But after the baby died, she is called David's wife in verse 24. Something must have happened to change it and it wasn't David divorcing Bathsheba and it wasn't the death of Uriah cause he was dead when she was called "Uriah's wife".

Food for thought.

Blessings.

S&C

No man likes to have his intelligence or good faith questioned, especially if he has doubts about it himself. - Henry Brooks Adams
N
N
15 But if the unbeliever leaves, let him do so. A believing man or woman is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace.

Your wife was an unbeliever when she wanted to leave her M right? So according to this scripture, if her ex let her go then she was lawfully divorced according to this scripture.

This is so true. If the WW's husband was a believer and she was not, and she left him - the implication being because of his beliefs - the BELIEVING man or woman is not bound in such circumstances. So the WW's BH would not be under bondage if this was the case.

You may notice the prohibitions against marrying and divorce with infidelity did not say "for believers only", like the above quote. They were God's ideal plan for all.

John the Baptist didn't ask Herodias whether her BH had been a believer, and oh in that case it's ok for her to be with Herod after all. "It is not lawful for you to have your brother's wife."

But I agree completely - Tc needs to keep on taking an honest look at all the scripture, and see how it all fits together. He seems to be doing that, and no matter what he chooses I respect that he was willing to make this examination.

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
T
T

He seems to be doing that, and no matter what he chooses I respect that he was willing to make this examination.

Not everyone is so willing to have their emotional colonoscopy done so publically on the world wide web, covered only with a thin paper dress for a bit of privacy, as complete strangers poke and probe some very secret and private parts, in the interest of an accurate diagnosis and beneficial advice. Lots of people can't take it. Some, like Neak's dad, can take it briefly but only to a point and then it all goes away. You are very brave to take this question on. If you are sincere in your desire to please God, He Personally will lead you through the marital minefields and bring you safely just where He wants you to be.

N
N
Here is where David and Bathsheba got "married".

2 Samuel 11
27 And when the mourning was past, David sent and fetched her to his house, and she became his wife, and bare him a son. But the thing that David had done displeased the LORD.

Read carefully the scolding Nathan brought in the next chapter. It was not just about murdering Uriah, but about taking his wife.

Nathan referred to the NUMEROUS women David had already married as his "wives", in the same set of verses where Bathsheba is referred to as both Uriah's wife and David's wife. Just because they are called wives, does that mean God approves of polygamy? If not, then that logic can't be used to say that God approved of Bathsheba being David's bajillionth wife, either.

Not an exhaustive list:
1. Michal - 1 Samuel 18:27
2. Abigail - 1 Sam. 25:39
3. Ahinoam - 1 Sam. 27:3
4. Eglah - 2 Sam. 3:5
5. Bathsheba - 2 Sam. 11:27
6. Unknown number of other wives - 1 Chronicles 14:3
7. Haggith - 1 Kings 1:5-6 (This does not specify that she is a wife, but only the son of a chief wife would have dared to try and wrestle the throne away from Solomon, especially while David still lived.)

What an appalling list! That is not counting any of the concubines. Bathsheba was one "wife" among many, not a stellar example of God blessing an adulterous marriage. Why does no one jump on the bandwagon for Eglah? If Bathsheba was a rightful wife in God's eyes, then so was she. And if they're all rightful wives, then it doesn't matter how much any of us commit adultery as long as we eventually get married and are sorry. And it doesn't matter how many people we marry at once.

Can't have it both ways.

In spite of the choices of his parents, God loved Solomon, and didn't hold their sins against him. He is not proof that God approves of polygamy or adultery, only that the circumstances of our birth don't determine our value to God.

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
N
N
Dad had a colonoscopy?
laugh :MrEEk: laugh

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
I
I
Look! I don't write Scripture. The one thing that I have proved to myself though is that His way is better than mine.

I was just reading my post and realized how vain this sounds. I would correct this and say that God graciously revealed to me that His way is better than mine.

I must tell you that this revelation came through walking the wrong way.

S
S
John the Baptist didn't ask Herodias whether her BH had been a believer, and oh in that case it's ok for her to be with Herod after all. "It is not lawful for you to have your brother's wife."

Which law did Herod break? And where is the supporting scripture for that conclusion? Philip could have been sitting in jail or never even divorced from Herodias. We cannot speculate and apply whatever opinion we want.

Also...

Does Scripture say what the reason needed to be for a non-believer to leave? It seems to just say "if the non-believer leaves, let him do so".

More food for thought.

S&C

No man likes to have his intelligence or good faith questioned, especially if he has doubts about it himself. - Henry Brooks Adams
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 594 guests, and 60 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation