Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
OP Offline
L
I saw this article in the Joliet Herald Newspaper. Here is a snippet of it and a link to the entire article.

September 29, 2008

By STEWART WARRRN swarren@scn1.com
JOLIET -- After his wife left him last year for the priest who acted as their marriage counselor, an Elmhurst man is suing him, the Diocese of Joliet and Bishop J. Peter Sartain.

In the complaint filed last week in Will County court, Stephen B. Crane accused the priest of alienation of affection and the diocese of negligence.

The diocese allegedly knew the priest was having a sexual relationship with his wife and should have removed him from the church, according to the complaint.

Crane is seeking more than $50,000 in damages.
Suit: Priest slept with man's wife

I'm not even sure what to say about this.

Anyone have any thoughts?

LC

Last edited by lifeschoice; 09/30/08 10:47 PM. Reason: to add a thought

D
D
Um...he shouldn't be a priest?

Should never have entered the priesthood?

Throw the bum out?

Charlotte

L
OP Offline
L
Just imagine the fog babble on the priest's part trying to justify the A.

God wants me to do this. He wants me to be happy and is showing me the priesthood is not my calling. shocked Etc, etc.

F
F

Yes. think

They have a wonderful "Bed and Breakfast" suite in Joliet for just this sort of thief....it's called "Stateville" and I'd be happy to see some accomodations reserved for Mr. Priest in sheeps clothing. naughty

E
E
Originally Posted by lifeschoice
I saw this article in the Joliet Herald Newspaper. Here is a snippet of it and a link to the entire article.

September 29, 2008

By STEWART WARRRN swarren@scn1.com
JOLIET -- After his wife left him last year for the priest who acted as their marriage counselor, an Elmhurst man is suing him, the Diocese of Joliet and Bishop J. Peter Sartain.

In the complaint filed last week in Will County court, Stephen B. Crane accused the priest of alienation of affection and the diocese of negligence.

The diocese allegedly knew the priest was having a sexual relationship with his wife and should have removed him from the church, according to the complaint.

Crane is seeking more than $50,000 in damages.
Suit: Priest slept with man's wife

I'm not even sure what to say about this.

LC

To add to what has already been said:

$50K is too little to request, make it 5 million. The church says marriage is sacred, so let's see a dollar figure that demonstrates the value of marriage.

Second, if this man wants an annulment, it should be granted gratis, since a representative of the church has already acted as if the woman was not married.

Third, I thin the church needs to spend another 5 million in fighting for traditional marriage, and against things such as no fault divorce, etc with the same vigor that it fights against same sex marriage.

P
P
If "counselors" are anything like therapists or doctors, it is a crime to become involved with a client.

The church should be treated in the same manner.

Just another jerk using "god" to get into some woman's panties.

I watch, and am as a sparrow alone upon the house top.
G
G
OY Vey,

The only positive is that it was not some child he was messing with. Think he is in need of the sacrament of castration.

NJ

D
D
Originally Posted by lifeschoice
Just imagine the fog babble on the priest's part trying to justify the A.

God wants me to do this. He wants me to be happy and is showing me the priesthood is not my calling. shocked Etc, etc.

ITA!!

D
D
Second, if this man wants an annulment, it should be granted gratis

Great point!!

Charlotte

I
I
50,000??? Wow they will settle in a heartbeat. I hope that would include legal fees and the expulsion of the priest from his duties and any duties to any church forever!!

C
C
One of the megachurches here in the Twin Cities had a pastor resign because of allegations of his affair. I got on the Web site and saw classic fog babble about how the affair relationship brought this pastor closer to God. Priests and pastors are human, just like every one else. "Pride goeth before the affair." It is those who think they never would have an affair who are more likely to have an affair than those who think they are capable of such evil.

D
D
"Holy smoke...holy smoke...

There's plenty bad preachers for the Devil to stoke,

Feed 'em in feet first this is no joke,

This is thirsty work....making holy smoke..."

M
M
Originally Posted by Dancing_Machine

Iron Maiden fan? smile

ManInMotion
===========
(see "MiM's Story" for more details)
L
OP Offline
L
I saw this in the comment area after the article I posted. Alarming and this is only in regard to Catholic priests.

Bishop-accountability

On a side note, Cherished,

If you're in the TC area we are not all that far apart. Before I mentioned this to you since I'm not familiar with your story I have to admit I looked up some of your old posts to make sure you weren't my FOM's W's since they live very near the cities.

I've posted on a few message boards over the years and prior to my confession one time read a story and panicked because I thought FOM's W had also stumbled across the board I had been posting on. Thankfully it wasn't her because I cannot even imagine how awkward it would have been to read the other perspective of the A. I completely stopped posting until I could be sure it wasn't her. I use to wonder how much truth she got because when my DH talked to her after my confession she was not told much truth up to that point. Oh well, water under the bridge and certainly none of my business.

LC

G
G
Originally Posted by Enlightened_Ex
To add to what has already been said:
$50K is too little to request, make it 5 million. The church says marriage is sacred, so let's see a dollar figure that demonstrates the value of marriage.
I'd say ask for 10, settle for 5. All legal fees paid, legal assistance and full support from the church in obtaining custody of any children of the marriage.
Second, if this man wants an annulment, it should be granted gratis, since a representative of the church has already acted as if the woman was not married..
By the pope, in person.
Third, I think the church needs to spend another 5 million in fighting for traditional marriage, and against things such as no fault divorce, etc with the same vigor that it fights against same sex marriage.
I agree.

Question.
What would the punishment for a priest who did this have been "back in the day"?

(I'm not Catholic)

Me 34
WW 30
Abandoned Feb 17th 08, D-Day Aprl 27th 08.
Returned home Jul 7th, OC born 12/30/08
The FOG is clear, and we are in recovery.
D
D
Originally Posted by ManInMotion
Originally Posted by Dancing_Machine

Iron Maiden fan? smile

rotflmao

Ooh! BUSTED! :MrEEk: Uh-oh!

rotflmao

Yep! And that song's definitely a favorite! LOL!

Charlotte

rotflmao

I
iam Offline
I
Originally Posted by Gack1
[Question.
What would the punishment for a priest who did this have been "back in the day"?

(I'm not Catholic)

I am Catholic so I will attempt to answer. Firstly, in no way do I condone the priests actions.

He has done no worse than any other person who fornicates or is an adulterer. His additional sin is a sin against his promise of chastity. Besides his adultery his sin is against his vows. The 'church' as many imply, is not at fault for his sin. However, they are in charge of his 'correction' should they choose to keep him in the flock.

This is his sin.

Maybe 'back in the day' the priest would have been assigned to a lengthy sabatical for reflection? That's my guess.

G
G
Originally Posted by iam
Maybe 'back in the day' the priest would have been assigned to a lengthy sabatical for reflection? That's my guess.
Thats it?

Me 34
WW 30
Abandoned Feb 17th 08, D-Day Aprl 27th 08.
Returned home Jul 7th, OC born 12/30/08
The FOG is clear, and we are in recovery.
E
E
Originally Posted by iam
[Question.

(I'm not Catholic)

I am Catholic so I will attempt to answer. Firstly, in no way do I condone the priests actions.

He has done no worse than any other person who fornicates or is an adulterer. His additional sin is a sin against his promise of chastity. Besides his adultery his sin is against his vows. The 'church' as many imply, is not at fault for his sin. However, they are in charge of his 'correction' should they choose to keep him in the flock.
I would be the first to say that his sin is no different than anyone else in the church, parishioner or ordained clergy. The basis for having the church pay is two-fold. He represents the church in his role as priest and if he sinned while performing that role, he has a duty, spelled out in Scripture to make right his wrong. I believe since he was representing the church, the church is liable for his actions.

Second, this is no different than if I'm going to a customer call on company business and I have a car accident and kill someone. The family is going to sue and likely win against not only me, but my employer since I was representing my employer at the time of the accident.

It is no different with the church here. The priest represented the church while counseling this couple and it appears he sinned not only against his vows, but in being a part of breaking up a marriage while in the role of priest.

If a parishioner sins, I believe the sinner has to atone for that sin with a penance. How is it different that the church would pay a penance to this member who was sinned against by one representing the church.

The right thing for the church to do would be to admit that someone representing them sinned, and the church is responsible for their actions and will do whatever it takes to make the situation right.

Trying to avoid paying is what is giving the church a bad name.
Originally Posted by iam
This is his sin.

Not much help to the families who are damaged by the sins of the clergy.

I
iam Offline
I
Originally Posted by iam
Thats it?

Yeah, pretty much. Unless maybe there was a history of this type of behavior. I'm also fairly certain he would be reassigned to another parish.

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 883 guests, and 74 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation