Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 17 of 136 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 135 136
T
T
I'd get a friend to take your son and pick him up from the games, or let WH arrange to do so through the intermediaries.

It sucks, but it's only 4 weeks and for Plan B to be effective your WH needs *no* ENs being met by you. Also you need *no* interaction with him (including visual) if you are to preserve yourself from further pain.

T
OP Offline
T
So are you saying do not attend my son's games? My son is very close to me and would be very let down and nervous(he's been struggling with fear if I'm not around since this all happened)if I did not attend. Help! I understand the importance of Plan B and want to be sure once I go dark that I don't come out.

Me-39 H-38/Married 19years/DD18 & DS10
Dday EA/PA 4/23/08 Left home 5/08/08
Moved in w/Sea Hag 08/01/08
Read SAA Sept 08 Plan A 10/03/08 thru 11/15/08
Plan B 11/15/08-currently
01/18/09 Plan B crack w/phone call restating PBL
01/31/09 Planned brief contact
02/15/09 Delivery of Planned 2nd PBL
Filed for D Dec 2009 Recovering well!
T
T
How about asking your son to suggest to his dad that you alternate the games you attend - one week him, one week you? That might also give your H food for thought if he realises that he'll not only lose you but part of his family life. Just an idea.

Courage is the most important of all the virtues, because without courage you can't practice any other virtue consistently. You can practice any virtue erratically, but nothing consistently without courage.
Maya Angelou
T
T
I like Tully's idea of alternating games, but I'd have the intermediary deliver the message rather than put your son in the position of messenger.

I wasn't considering your son's anxiety and of course he might well panic if you suddenly quit being part of his life where you've always been there for him.

Or is there a place you could watch the game where WH couldn't see you? From your car or something?

T
OP Offline
T
Yes I might be able to alternate and/or watch from a distance. I can run that by my son and see what he feels comfortable with. I just know somehow I need him to feel comfortable with it.

He said a few months into this all, "Mom thanks for not going crazy and leaving us." I said son I will never go crazy and never ever leave you someone would have to shoot me to keep me away from you and your sister.

He is in group therapy to deal with the anxiety and fear. He was always a little nervous but now its ridiculous. Nail biting and he has been sleeping in my bed since this happened. I told his Dr. and therapist and they said don't worry about it right now so I definitely will run it by him and see what makes him comfortable. I know if I explain it to him slowly he will probably consider one of those 2 choices.

T
T
I've only just seen that your son is only 9. I was thinking he was older. My eldest daughter is 10. Maybe if you told him that you love his dad and that you would like to resolve the problems between you but that it's very complex and difficult but for the moment you'd like him to trust you that what you are doing is for the best for everyone, his dad included. All that without going into detail and without promising success. That's what I did with my daughter and it seemed to reassure her.
Sorry if I'm intruding here, you seem to be doing a great job here all by yourself.

Courage is the most important of all the virtues, because without courage you can't practice any other virtue consistently. You can practice any virtue erratically, but nothing consistently without courage.
Maya Angelou
T
OP Offline
T
You're not intruding at all. smile

I love the input and perspectives from everyone. Its a huge help its hard to not second guess yourself.

T
T
Just catching up with your thread and I haven't read all the responses yet but I'll do my best to critique this.

Originally Posted by Trying2live
Dear Hubby Pooh,

This is the hardest letter for me to write. I love you so much and want our marriage and family restored. I would love the chance to repair our relationship. I miss my real husband and all the laughter, terrible jokes, the most retarded movies, tickle fights, and mid-night moon walks in the kitchen, many hugs , kisses and of course tears and struggles at times.
[/quote
Don't bother running on about the stuff you love and miss. He doesn't care. State your purpose of the letter and that's it.
I know that I have not been a perfect wife for you. I know I did things that put a wedge between us. I apologize to you for my part in creating an atmosphere that helped you make your affair with the Toad possible. It was my responsibility to meet your most important emotional needs and I failed to do so. I acknowledge my role in the problems in our marriage that contributed to your vulnerability for an affair
Keep it simple, direct and to the point.

[quote]If we both work on our marriage we can fix it. It can work a second time it already has. Remember when we broke up in 8th grade and you said it would never work a second time. But look it did! We got back together in 10th grade been together ever since and built a marriage of 18 ½ years on a second time.
Same thing - remove the fluff.

I know that the painful situation we are in now is just a symptom of the problems that existed in our marriage. I want our marriage to be a source of happiness and a place of safety and refuge for the both of us and for our children.

After almost no contact for over 5 months these last 4 weeks have meant so much to me to be in contact with you, experiencing what my real husband was like and to hearing his voice and seeing him again -especially our trip to Disneyland. I want to be close to you even under this extremely painful circumstance. But now, it has become so excruciating for me.
He'll have stopped reading before all this. If not, he'll just see more fluff.

The love I have in my heart for you is being damaged by the pain of knowing you are with someone else. I am not doing this to hurt you or reject you but I want to protect my love for you. It has become to painful for me to see you and talk with you while you continue your relationship with the Toad.
Just cutting out what is more or less a reiteration of your first sentence.

I am willingwant to create a new life for us, but I can't do that until you end your relationship with the Toad once and for all. Until then I will avoid seeing you and talking to you. I am still willing and want to be your wife, but only when you can be exclusively my husband.
Gives the impression that it can be his idea.

ur friends Fred and Wilma Rubble have agreed to facilitate all communications regarding help make arrangements for the kids and finances. If you need to communicate with me they will pass the information on to me. I will assume the finances will be the same as you have so wonderfully provided so far.
Strike that last sentence as he could take it as a dare to drop whatever finances. On second thought, strike anything to do with finances - don't give him any ideas.

I ask that you please respect my decision to protect my heart this way. I still love you I just cannot see you under these circumstances. I want you in my life more than anything. I long for you and want you all to myself and I know you know the suffering I have endured because of this sharing.
You're probably catching on by now.

The door to my heart and back to the family is open when as soon as you are willing to permanently separate from the Toad with no contact with her ever again (I will help you write a letter of no contact to her and send it). Then we can talk about what it will take to secure the future for our family, one in which we will never need to separate like this again.

I want to be your best friend and be the one who is there when you need me and I want you as my best friend. I loved you when I married you and love you right now. I want you in my life more than anything. I long to be with you and for you to hold me again and say hey little lady.

I love you with all that I am, Your wife,
Trying2live
This is okay if you have signed cards like this in the past. Otherwise, shorten it down to "your loving wife" or something like that.

Remember, right now he thinks he loves her. He won't read 1/3 of the way down this lengthy letter and if he does, he'll consider it drivel.

T
T
I just wanted to say that I agree with Tabby's critique. Make the letter as short and sweet as possible. It'll have more impact.

Maya Angelou
T
OP Offline
T
Did you happen to read turtlehead's revision on my PBL on the previous page? I kinda like that version.

T
OP Offline
T
So guess what H did last night. Of course he lives with OW and for obvious reasons does not talk with me at all for anything. He buys DD17 a car faint ! He buys her a car when 3 months ago he accused me of not paying his credit cards off. Mind you our financial situation is difficult as is with split households.

Then last Sunday he spends 150$ on son for b-day on 3 items at the mall. When I spent 150$ over the summer to buy son his school clothes he threw a fit, and I bought double what he did.

It's like what? I'll go but all this stuff for the kids so it can ease my guilt? Help me feel better about my double life? So I'll look like the hero to the kids instead of the poop head that I'm acting like? puke puke puke

I am biting my stinking tongue to not LB! Lord help pray me I feel like I am the only sane person in this house. Did I mention that he wants DD17 to make payments and she doesn't even have a job yet and the car he had her trade in was paid for? think

Okay I've ranted rant2 , I'm done! I just needed to vent, I feel better now. :crosseyedcrazy:

I just wanna scream that old commercial! Stop the Insanity.

Okay g'night!

T
T
Hi T2L,

After I posted I saw the other one. She's done something similar. Basically, cut out every thing that isn't specifically to the point of the letter. Your points are:

1. I want to recover the marriage.
2. The following conditions must be met in order to do so:
(a) The affair must end
(b) You must agree to no contact for life
(c) You must commit to working on recovery
(d) Any other condition you want to add.
3. Until such a time these conditions are met, there is to be no further contact.

You can personalize each point, but not to the extent that they take up several paragraphs a piece.

Oh, and your news about the car, this is just more evidence of his hero complex he clearly has. I'm still of the mind that Plan B sooner rather than later is your best bet. He is so cake eating right now it's unbelievable.

Last edited by Tabby1; 10/16/08 07:39 AM. Reason: hit post too soon!
J
J
He buys her a car ... Did I mention that he wants DD17 to make payments and she doesn't even have a job yet and the car he had her trade in was paid for?
faint

Last night on the radio, I think it was Focus on the Family, they were discussing responsible family finances. (I'm almost never in the car at that time, so usually I wouldn't have heard this - now I know why I did!) They were talking about parents who got their kids in financial trouble by "giving" them too much, like loaning them lots of money that the kids couldn't pay back (like to buy a house or start a business)... and they specifically mentioned a father who "bought" his daughter a car - except she was supposed to make the payments on it - and she was in tears because she couldn't afford the payments!!!

:RollieEyes:

Where you live, do you have any laws like buyer's remorse - where you have a certain amount of time to back out from major purchases - or that would require your approval for her to enter into such a contract? If she didn't sign the contract, does she have to make the payments?

I think you are well within your rights to back out of this "gift" if you want. This is not a good time, financially for your family or in general (!) to buy new cars unnecessarily! (I personally love our family's two older-but-paid-off cars.)

You can stand firm and maintain boudaries w/out LBing and w/out breaking Plan A. Plan A isn't about being a door mat.

And yes, you ARE the only sane adult around.

me - 47 tired
H - 39 cool
married 2001
DS 8a think
DS 8b :crosseyedcrazy:
(Why is DS7b now a blockhead???)
(Ack! Now he's not even a blockhead, just a word! That's no fun!)
T
T
Don't EVEN worry about him "buying their love". Kids see right through that and it really pisses them off. Mine did, but I didn't know it. They were too polite to say what they were thinking - but boy I sure got an earful later!

Did I mention that he wants DD17 to make payments and she doesn't even have a job yet and the car he had her trade in was paid for? think

Hang on, now - WHY did she agree to trade in her paid-for car? That was dumb on her part as well as his. I'd let her own this problem. Yeah, he's her Dad and yeah, she probably trusts him or felt pressured by him -- but she need to learn to be assertive and stand up for herself when she knows the person in a position of authority is wrong. That doesn't mean she has to be ugly to them, she can just take a firm, non-wavering "No, thank you" stance.

I think the buyers remorse idea is a great one under the circumstances. I don't see this as baling her out of the consequences of a bad decision, I see it as giving her access to tools she otherwise would not know about.

T
OP Offline
T
Well I did kinda give her an earful when she cam home, I mean she's just a few months short of 18.

She had mentioned this car idea her dad had about 2 weeks ago. I told her please try to find away to not do this. I told her I want nice things for her but in its right time.

She said she tried to say not now dad. She said mom you know how dad is I couldn't really get out of it. The car is not brand new but definitely a lot newer, 2006.

She did not sign the papers, he did. I did send him an email about adding debt to the household and my concerns about it that's all I can do at this point.

I mentioned to DD17 that this seems like a guilt offering to try and make his double life okay. She said mom it doesn't make it okay and he should have been pulling up in the driveway with me instead of going home to OW.

I'm glad to hear I'm sane. Sometimes there is so much going on and coming at you in so many directions you start to question your own sanity. There are days when I think, I can't believe this is my life. I never imagined in a million years, never did I see any of this coming.

P
P
Did I mention that he wants DD17 to make payments and she doesn't even have a job yet and the car he had her trade in was paid for? think

Does this mean WH co-signed a loan for DD17?
Speak with a family law attorney. Be sure that things are arranged so that you are not held responsible for this loan when DD17 cannot make the payments.
Who is responsible for the car insurance (certain to be higher on a newer car)?

T
OP Offline
T
No he did not co-sign her. He was in the process of signing the papers when he told her to come down and get it. So I am guessing it is in his name.

I froze my credit when this all started, I must be notified for any credit extended in my name so he can't use my name for any loans. He is responsible for the car insurance.

P
P
hurray

T
T
No he did not co-sign her. He was in the process of signing the papers when he told her to come down and get it. So I am guessing it is in his name.

Wouldn't hurt to ask your daughter if she signed anything. He could have signed his part and then had her sign her part after she showed up.

I'm hoping it's in his name and he's stuck with the bill. That would make OW squeal with delight, wouldn't it? Less money for her because of "his brat". rotflmao

Boy, I sure hear you about questioning your own sanity. Things get impossibly crazy and then when you think you've really fallen into the rabbit hole, they just spiral even more out of the realm of reality. It leaves you wondering if you even know which way is up, what day it is, or what your own name is.

You're definitely sane (so far stickout )

T
OP Offline
T
Just asked DD17 she said she did not sign anything only her dad.

I think my DD17 thinks I am crazy :crosseyedcrazy: . She says she understands why I feel the way I do, that it is completely unfair and it doesn't make what dad did right but in the same breath she's like whats the big deal. I'll get a job and then it won't matter since I'll be paying for it. Yeah we'll see. think

Okay, I am going to cast this retarded thing off and give it to God or It will ruin my whole day.

Perspective check: I am healthy, my kids are healthy, we are all safe, I'm alive, I have awesome friends, I have awesome forum friends, H is talking with kids and kids are enjoying him, h is calling more and watching kids games and being more involved, the kids and I have food, clothing and shelter, I am in Plan A, this too shall pass, and as I often say as quoted in the movie Anger Management(w/Jack Nicholson) GRUUZZ-FFAA-BBAAHHHHHHH... I think I'll go rent that tonight....

Page 17 of 136 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 135 136

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 501 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation