Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
OP Offline
S
I agreed in our divorce settlement to pay all expenses for our children and I was happy to do it. I also had to pay my X a huge cash settlement. I paid her a lump sum because I did not want to pay a cheating x-wife alimony.

Well, 4 years later, and numerous boyfriends later (hers, not mine!!!), I get a letter from her attorney asking for a pay stub and my tax returns. I ignored the letter. Then I got another letter stating if I don't provide the info, he will take me to court. So, I went back to my attorney and found that in Wisconsin, an X can take request this info at anytime. He also said if there is a bigger difference in income since the divorce, she can ask for alimony.

This just stinks... I poured myself into my job after the divorce (cause I was devastated) and got some really big increases and a wonderful promotion. Now I may get penalized because of it!!!

Also, while I have been saving my money, she has bought 3 vehicles in the last 4 years (one was an Audi).

Why, why did I marry her!!!!

A
A
Oh Keith!! I'm so sorry!!! Man alive you don't deserve this! How can this possibly be fair?? and I suppose this can go on forever until she remarries??

If she agreed to the lump sum settlement in lieu of alimony; how can she now come back and say she deserves alimony.....I just don't get it!

If you need to talk you know how to find me!

HUGS!
Ronda

Me, 43
DS18, DD12
Divorce final May 10, 2007
T
T
Tell the lawyer that the settlement was foy you giving a lump sum instead of alimony.

She maybe pushing for increased CS. You can counter by going for custody.

G
G
K, is your lawyer a shark? You need a shark.

Have you documented everything you buy for the kids, in addition to the child support you pay?

Man, I hate when people want to bleed the other person dry.

Divorced.
2 Girls
Remarried 10/11/08
Widowed 11/5/08
Remarrying 12/17/15
S
OP Offline
S
GG,

Yes, I put everything in MS Money on the computer and gave my attorney the report. I told him I am not a dead-beat dad! I found I have had lots of child related expenses over the last 4 years.

My attorney is pretty sharp but he is also a decent guy. He tends to be probably too nice?? Not sure if that is good or bad for an attorney.

I don't have a problem at all with spending money on the kids but not to her. She made her choices and now she can live with them. And given the revolving door of boyfriends, she should find a sugar daddy sooner or later so then maybe she won't need my money!!!!

She has to be hurting for money. Bought a house and fixed it up, big screen tv, Audi, etc... I am sure she spent the settlement long ago. Heck - everyone in her immediate family (including parents) have filed for bankruptcy at some point so she is probably going down the same path. (And they filed because of poor spending habits).

Will see how this plays out... I am not taking this lying down that is for certain!!!!

Keith

M
M
Review your divorce decree carefully!! Based on what you are saying it should clearly state that the lump sum settlement was in lieu of alimony both present and future. If it is not clearly stated in the decree then my guess is you are screwed and your lawyer that handled the divorce is an idiot.

Mindshare

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 682 guests, and 45 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation