Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
N
nia17 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
GOP Viewpoint: We Got The Thumping We Deserve

P
P
They are going to get the "change" they were demanding here at work.

The layoffs started first thing this morning and we are getting in more automation.

Thank God I oversee the automation and the only one qualified to keep it calibrated properly.

I watch, and am as a sparrow alone upon the house top.
W
W
Originally Posted by Pariah

The layoffs started first thing this morning and we are getting in more automation.

Thank God I oversee the automation and the only one qualified to keep it calibrated properly.

Can't blame that on the incoming administration. It's the outgoing one that caused our economic crisis.

I know first hand. Two weeks ago, my company cut me to a 4 day work week so essentially I took a 20% loss in pay. I'm sure the stockholders will be happy though.

Want2Stay

M
M
It's the outgoing one that caused our economic crisis.

Keep telling yourself that lie.

H
H
Originally Posted by Pariah

I can't wait to see what has really "changed" in 4 years. Politicians always promise the world and deliver a pile of dust. I truly hope our new president does change america for the better and i can eat my words, but I learned not to hope and have blind faith. When I see his actions and his change, I hope I look back and say I am sorry, I was wrong about this guy.

Me: 32 BS DDay: 9/14/08
Slowly coming to the realization that I
am one of those who can't get past it.
W
W
Originally Posted by medc
It's the outgoing one that caused our economic crisis.

Keep telling yourself that lie.

I will as long as you keep pretending it's not TRUE.

Want2Stay

M
M
W2S, I align myself more closely with Dems than Repubs except for the abortion issue (which is a trump card for me). But to pretend that the root of this problem does not stretch back to the Clinton years is absurd. The current administration is not blameless...but they do not carry this load alone.

P
P
We don't have stockholders, just a father and two sons that own the company that the father built with his own two hands and no help form anyone.

The American dream. I respect him greatly.

He pays you what you are worth according to your effort and productivity, value added will get you recognized and bonuses.

I have a specail talent for complex mechanical things and have saved us tens of thousands on repairs this year alone.

My review is coming up and he wants us to fly together so the walls can't start the rumormill.

I am progressing through my own hard work, not some government handout program.

W
W
W2S, I align myself more closely with Dems than Repubs except for the abortion issue (which is a trump card for me). But to pretend that the root of this problem does not stretch back to the Clinton years is absurd. The current administration is not blameless...but they do not carry this load alone.

I don't place all the blame on the current administration. When I speak of the economy, It's not just the fiscal aspect but also the employment side.

About 10 years ago, I left my union blue collar job to pursue opportunities in IT. I had always been a computer geek and here was the government saying we were going to lead the way in technology. So I got the necessary training and began my IT career. On any given Sunday, I could look in the classified ads and find hundreds of jobs in my field. Now when I check, I'm lucky if there is 5-10 jobs.

I place blame with the Bush administration for sitting back and watching the country send millions of IT jobs overseas. Jobs that paid well and kept many Americans in the middle class. My field has been decimated by this practice.

I chat with my counterpart in India quit a bit and what I have learned has been appalling to me. He makes about 18% of what I do. Plus, they have socialized health care so the corp I work for doesn't have to pay for benefits. I watch this company bring people over on work visas, train them for a year and send them home only to cut more jobs here. It's a terribly demoralizing practice and it is going on in a massive scale.

The ironic part is that in doing so, they have put American business in an extremely vulnerable position. It's just a matter of time before terrorists realize that they don't have to come to America to reek havoc with our country. All they have to do is go to India. We might as well have painted a giant bullseye on Bangalore. All to the detriment of the American people.

Want2Stay

P
P
If IT is that bad, just imagine how bad the doctors will be under socialized health care.

$10 an hour to be a doctor is going to be really scarey when your life is on the line.

Owing $16,000 after insurance wasn't so bad to keep my leg, when under the socialized system would have gone either one of tow ways, let me bleed out or amputate because it's cheaper. No expensive, extravagant surgeries to save my leg.

Ever try to go to the emergency room bleeding profusely and have to wade through all the medicaid freeloaders with the sniffles because it's free for them there?

E
E
Want2Stay,

Why blame Bush for decisions your employer makes? It's insane to say it's the president's fault, regardless what party the president represents.

Next we'll hear from BS's how it was Bush's fault their WS had an affair.

Both are about equally logical.

If you don't like the current labor laws, petition congress. The president doesn't write the laws, he merely enforces them.

So until there is a law against what your employer is doing, it's insane to blame the president for what is going on.

Now, you do have a valid claim against Pelosi and Reid who are running both chambers of the legislature. They've been in charge there for two years, yet still no laws to prohibit what you find offensive.

Basically, the president can do nothing about it until they act and push a law through the process.

Blaming the president for this sort of things is the ultimate in blame shifting.

Blame your employer for making such decisions. That's where the blame belongs. Not with the president.

I would say the same should you blame Obama for this.

BTW, if Obama doesn't correct this, will you write us in 4 years and tell us that Obama is as much to blame as Bush?

Last edited by Enlightened_Ex; 11/06/08 10:27 AM. Reason: Added a thought
K
K

It started during the Reagan administration.

It was caused by de-regulation, and in some cases a lack of regulation in the first place.

Divorced
M
M
Originally Posted by Krazy71

It started during the Reagan administration.

It was caused by de-regulation, and in some cases a lack of regulation in the first place.

I agree.

Just because it was a Clinton Program that the under-regulated banking industry chose to exploit doesn't mean it's Clintons fault.

It's like blaming the blaming United Airlines for the World Trade Centers, or better yet...Boeing for building the planes.

There IS some shared blame...but pointing at Clinton's program, which WASN'T a problem until a few years after Bush came in office is a mistake. The CRA was a GOOD program, until it was exploited.

Mr. Wondering

FBH(me)-51 FWW-49 (MrsWondering)
DD19 DS 22 Dday-2005-Recovered

"agree to disagree" = Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
W
W
Originally Posted by Enlightened_Ex
Why blame Bush for decisions your employer makes? It's insane to say it's the president's fault, regardless what party the president represents.

Because the practice actually started taking place in late 2003 when the government was controlled by Bush and the Republicans.

Not to mention that Bush felt this was GOOD for the country.

Bush report: Sending jobs overseas helps U.S.

Originally Posted by Enlightened_Ex
If you don't like the current labor laws, petition congress. The president doesn't write the laws, he merely enforces them.

So until there is a law against what your employer is doing, it's insane to blame the president for what is going on.

Now, you do have a valid claim against Pelosi and Reid who are running both chambers of the legislature. They've been in charge there for two years, yet still no laws to prohibit what you find offensive.

It's too late for that. Obama has stated that he will end the tax subsidies that make this beneficial for corporations, but I don't think that will bring these jobs back. There gone and there is not a whole lot that can be done about it. The stockholders have already gotten used to the increased profits by this practice and they would be outraged to see them diminished.

The more likely scenerio for me is as I stated, that part of the world becoming so unstable that the corporations are forced to bring those jobs back to America. In which case I will be able to write my own ticket as companies scramble to fill positions they need to function.

Want2Stay

R
R
Wants -

I can understand your frustration. I am in the telecomm business and now assist in moving work off shore. We started doing this before Bush was in office. Corp taxes here are the second highest in the industrialized world. This may be a part of it. I am not sure if this is piece of the cause or not. Certainly wages and cost of living in India are much lower.

We are now in a globalized economy. Both parties have been actively seeking this since the closing of WWII. It goes back to a safer world if we are trading and working together.

India has placed far more dollars to promote technology education. We on the otherhand worry about feel good, poli-correct education initiatives.

China and India will be economic giants and we will need to compete or lower our living standard to survive. There is no other way around it - Obama, Bush, Clinton or Carter could not stop this train if they wanted to it.

Another thought - With the number of illegals and sending work to cheaper labour overseas, is it because our economy is and has always really been built on"slavery". We just exchanged one form to another. We like cheap TV, cheap lawnmowers (not me), dishwashers and cooks - endless ETC but we dont like the idea of illegals here and sending jobs overseas. Very complex problem.

Last edited by rwinger; 11/06/08 11:16 AM.

Me:52
W: 52
Married: 32 yrs
2 Sons (29 & 23)
1 Dtr (20)
1 GDtr (2.5) precious little girl
W
W
Originally Posted by rwinger
We are now in a globalized economy. Both parties have been actively seeking this since the closing of WWII. It goes back to a safer world if we are trading and working together.

Yep, like I said before Rwinger, We wanted a global economy and now we have it. Now the first thing that global economy is going to do is level the playing field. Meaning equalize the standard of living.

Want2Stay

P
P
"Equalize the standard of living"?

You mean everybody has to live in a mud hut?

Just because there is a surplus of labor in your field doesn't mean you picked the right field to be in.

It was your choice to go into the IT field when the econimic winds were favoring medical, however computers are easy and medical takes effort.

I don't blame Bush for me having to drop out of RN school, that was all my fault, from the moment I decided to get out of bed that morning to the moment of my career ending injury.

I had to find something else to do at 40, took months of vigilant effort and moving 250 miles from home, but the system worked.

R
R
took months of vigilant effort and moving 250 miles from home, but the system worked.

I recall Reagan calling it voting with your feet.

IT jobs and mgmt of IT is still a good employment generator here in DFW.

We have to go to India because of scarcity of qualifications. There are only so many engineers in the US and we are not producing enough.

Me:52
W: 52
Married: 32 yrs
2 Sons (29 & 23)
1 Dtr (20)
1 GDtr (2.5) precious little girl
P
P
A good IT person is hard to find, but the employment mills churn out unqualified button pushers at an alarming rate.

My twin brother has made a game out of firing them now.

He calls them ITiots.

K
K
Originally Posted by Want2Stay
Now the first thing that global economy is going to do is level the playing field. Meaning equalize the standard of living.

Another way to say it would be "spread the wealth".

Divorced
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,071 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation