Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#2162167 11/21/08 08:45 PM
G
Gamma Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I posted this in another forum and triggered a thread jack, so I'm putting it here for people to smash with axes, picks and sledge hammers, if they wish. The original post is in bold.

Tattoos matter because they are a mark of the underclass and being in the underclass welcomes you to a world of hurt.

Some, likely male tattooist, has left his mark on you, it used to be that slaves were tattooed. On top of that tattoos render a person asymmetric and asymmetry is a form of ugliness. Even where symmetric they are still a blemish. Beautify skin is clear skin.

My opinion is that people today get them because of a feeling of body inadequacy, but for the aforementioned facts it dosen't help.

Even in these modern times a man looks at a woman with a tattoo and says shes easy and not worth a long term relationship.

Somehow people with no money always seem to scrape up enough for cigarettes, tattoos and beer.

God Bless
NJ

PS at least piercings are cheaper to heal than they cost.

L
L
I also move my post so as to not T/J

I have 3 tattoo's, my ears are pierced 9 times. I did have a navel piercing but it interfered with my work so I removed it. I also drink beer, and from time to time I smoke, particularly when under alot of stress. I usually give up when the stresses are removed.

What a gross generalization to say that 'I' belong to an underclass of citizens. Yes 2 of the tatooists were male, one was female. I don't see at all what that has to do with anything. I have had male and female doctors. Their gender had little to do with their ability to perform their duties in an expert fashion.

My DH also has a tattoo. Our joint earning put us in the high income bracket. Neither of us has a body dismorphic issue, in fact I believe for our age we look pretty good! smile People often think we are younger than we are.

FWIW, I have tattoo's and OW did not, yet Flick returned to me. He was in his A when I got the most recent one done and in fact watched it being applied. I had one when we met and got the 2nd 3 years into our marriage, which BTW is when he got his.

I found this post to be grossly offensive. I hope the thread owner realises her worth as an individual lays not in what others think, but in what she thinks of herself.

Recovered marriage, recovering self, life gets better everyday laugh
C
C
I don't like them. That doesnt' mean that I don't like people who have them.

J
J
Hmmm-

I am asymmetric, but not because I have a tattoo. Rather, because I had breast cancer and chose to have a radical modified mastectomy but no reconstruction. I figured one scar with trauma to my body was enough. Besides, I like my abdominal muscles right where they are-thank you very much. (And the thought of implants gives me the heeby-jeebies). blush

The tattoo I chose is the Hebrew word for hope and Jeremiah 29:11 in script. I chose to have it strategically placed (center of my upper back) as a reminder that I carry God's hope and promise with me everywhere. That verse became a lifeline for me during my whole A/cancer and chemo survival journey.

My decision to get a tattoo doesn't fit with that "underclass" classification either. I'm fairly somewhere in the middle class and well educated-master's degree, currently doing post-graduate studies, in a professional career etc.

Tattoos have not been exclusively the mark of slaves either. They have a history of being a form of beauty and of identifying an extended family member in different cultures. (I also think branding was historically used more often than tattoos for marking one's human chattel. It was quicker and cheaper.)

I don't think I would get a tattoo that shows all the time, but I have thought about getting a phoenix over my scar, because I feel like I've come out of the flames renewed and ready for a new life.

My body had already been altered by cancer and chemo where the port created another scar on my chest below my collarbone. Getting the tattoo was a way to add some significance to this experience which had already changed my symmetry.

That's my story-FWIW

johnstwin-

"I may not know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future." -Martin Luther

Remarried my FXH 25 years to the day of our first M. God is so good-and sometimes so unexpected!

B
B
Johnstwin,

Thank you for posting. I was trying to find the right words and couldn't. I feel the exact same way. I too had breast cancer. Bilat mastectomy. Chemo port, scars, radiation tattoo's.

I am so beyond being symmetrical it's not funny. My body looks like I got into a fight with a chainsaw.....and I lost.

I also got a tattoo, three hearts. One bigger than the other two. They signify my love for my husband and two boys.

If I was weak enough to buy into his post, I would feel like a very unattractive, ill educated, unworthy human being. People need to really think about what they post and how it could affect someone.

So because my body is not symmetric, I am ugly. Because I have blemishes, I am not beautiful.

That is a load of crap!

At least I'm not judgemental of people because of their appearance. I am a better person than that.

Me:BS 41
Him:WH 37
Married:18 Years
Together:24 Years
DS 14 DS 12
D day 1/27/08
Counseling 3/14/08
B
B
I don't have any tattoos. I would not place persons with tattoos in an "underclass" of any sort. I do believe there is tattoo "culture" that exists. That culture consists of people from many walks of life.

A couple of my favorite tv shows are Miami Ink and LA Ink on TLC which shine some light on today's tattoo culture in the U.S.

Tattoos go back thousands of years, exist throughout the world and serve many purposes.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/tattoo.html

ba109
M
M
Cemintry, even if true, is overated

Tatoo's is just cool

Unless you's is old and saggy

Mr. W

FBH(me)-51 FWW-49 (MrsWondering)
DD19 DS 22 Dday-2005-Recovered

"agree to disagree" = Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
B
B
Mr. W.

Unless you's is old and saggy
ROFLOL
That, Mr. W., is why placement is so important.

Beam

DS 14 DS 12
D day 1/27/08
Counseling 3/14/08
M
M
While I don't understand the purpose of NJ's post, I will say that I can understand his view. Remember that attractiveness is in the eye of the beholder.

While I am not a big fan of tattoos on women...IMHO, it makes them look a little "trashy"..I understand and appreciate that others feel differently.

Different strokes for different folks.

R
R
Originally Posted by newjersey
Tattoos matter because they are a mark of the underclass and being in the underclass welcomes you to a world of hurt.
I work with nothing but highly educated people. Master degrees & PhDs for the world’s largest and most successful Semiconductor/Micro Processor company (90K+ emps). More than not, my colleagues have Tats. IMHO, its time for YOU to catch up on your not so accurate assumptions.

Some, likely male tattooist, has left his mark on you, it used to be that slaves were tattooed.
Well thankfully, much like the abolishment of slavery NJ, we are evolving ourselves away from those very BAD human practices where one is judged by what they look like. Maybe its time for you to join in, yes?

On top of that tattoos render a person asymmetric and asymmetry is a form of ugliness. Even where symmetric they are still a blemish. Beautify skin is clear skin.
I challenge you to name one person on this earth who is perfectly and completely symmetrical and/or has perfectly flawless skin from head to toe. You can't because there is no such perfection.

My opinion is that people today get them because of a feeling of body inadequacy, but for the aforementioned facts it doesn’t help.
Although I sport no Tats myself, I'm sure each and every person who does has their own reasons. I would be careful about assigning blanket statements regarding people's reasons or people in general based on their appearence, considering you don't live in THEIR skin.

God Bless,
Jo

C
C
I find it really hard to respect a girl with a tramp stamp. Other than that, I don't really care one way or another.

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
L
L
Tramp Stamp???

I am not sure I understand this.

Are the cancer survivor’s tramps?
Is trampy-ness imbedded along with the ink?
Do tramps naturally gravitate towards tattoos?

B
B
The "tramp stamp" is usualy referred to as the tat across the lower back just above your bum crack. The type that seem to be preferred by the ladies.

Me: 56 (FBS) Wife: 55 (FWW)
D-Day August 2005
Married 11/1982 3 Sons 27,25,23
Empty Nesters.
Fully Recovered.
B
B
and you often end up getting an eyefull of that along with the bum crack and g-string that makes such a nice accompanyment when you are out in a restaurant.

Perhaps I need to find classier places to eat.

rotflmao

D-Day August 2005
Empty Nesters.
Fully Recovered.
M
M
A few years ago I was in the hospital waiting room while my H was having surgery. A very bored 4 year old, cute as heck African American girl, and I starting playing this game of "count the ladies" in the magazines. We got to one page that showed a woman's nekkid back down to the top of her behind, which sported a large tattoo. My little friend blurted out "SHE'S NASTAY!!" The whole place erupted in laughter! rotflmao

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

B
B
Bigkahuna,

Want to learn a little "hip" lingo? The g string protruding out of ones trousers is called of all things, a "whale tale." faint

When I heard that I nearly fell on the floor laughing. rotflmao

DS 14 DS 12
D day 1/27/08
Counseling 3/14/08
B
B
Originally Posted by BeamMeUp
Bigkahuna,

Want to learn a little "hip" lingo? The g string protruding out of ones trousers is called of all things, a "whale tale." faint

When I heard that I nearly fell on the floor laughing. rotflmao

rotflmao

D-Day August 2005
Empty Nesters.
Fully Recovered.
D
D
Originally Posted by lildoggie
Tramp Stamp???

I am not sure I understand this.

Are the cancer survivor’s tramps?
Is trampy-ness imbedded along with the ink?
Do tramps naturally gravitate towards tattoos?

I wouldn't worry about it, lil.

Hey, I used to believe that people who had tattoos were going to hell. (I think that was from my grandma, who may not like them. I'm going to ask her about that.) I also thought that churches were safe in storms, like God wouldn't make lightning hit them. LOL!

I don't have any tattoos or any piercings. (I have enough holes in my head already, LOL!)

I have thought about it before, though. The other night on a break, tattoos were the big discussion amongst classmates. Hey, I know where to go if I decide to get one!! I was thinking about something in a discreet area or maybe one that just peeks out of the cleavage.

I don't know why there's such a mindset about tattoos. I mean, what about people in the military? Are they tramps, too? Let's see someone tell THAT to a Marine!

Charlotte

L
L
I'm not worreid about it, I just find it interesting that if what i am reading is correct, OW is a more classy lady than me.

All my tats BTW are hidden in a one piece swim suit, and one is hidden in a 2 piece.

I don't have any tattoos or any piercings. (I have enough holes in my head already, LOL!)

rotflmao Oh I can SO relate laugh

B
B
Lil,

Don't take it personally. It is actually a very common nickname for a tattoo located on the lower middle of ones back, just peeking above the belt line. blush

I am a breast cancer survivor with radiation tattoo's all over my chest and side. I also have 3 lovely tattoo's on by upper tush (right below belt line) that represent the love I have for my FWH and 2 boys. And I am the furthest thing from a tramp.

My niece has a "tramp stamp" (kind of pretty) and she even refers to it as her "tramp stamp." It strictly refers to the location and type of tattoo.

Like I said, I have radiation tattoos. Not a tramp. Heart tattoos. Not a tramp. Niece has "tramp stamp" tattoo on lower back, also not a tramp.

I do however think that there are nice tattoos and trashy ones too. A beautiful cross or the portrait of a lost loved one, those are nice. A dragon lady with a split tongue, riding a bull side saddle while naked showing her wares......well, that's a little trashy to me. :MrEEk:

Beam

DS 14 DS 12
D day 1/27/08
Counseling 3/14/08
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,116 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation