Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 22 of 48 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 47 48
B
B
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
But you are a silly foreigner, what do you know?? :RollieEyes:

That is what Steve Harley told another client here to do the FIRST TIME the WS got through. The idea is to reiterate the main point of the PB with short, concise talking points. He needs to hear this same message over and over again from the OM.

OK but she doesn't wanna make a habit of it - He gets a payoff and She doesn't get the peace she needs.

I also THINK you meant to say IM not OM??

rotflmao

Me: 56 (FBS) Wife: 55 (FWW)
D-Day August 2005
Married 11/1982 3 Sons 27,25,23
Empty Nesters.
Fully Recovered.
M
M
shaddup, you silly foreigner! cry

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

B
B
rotflmao

D-Day August 2005
Empty Nesters.
Fully Recovered.
OP Offline
You guys!!!!

So I was out having a lovely Christmas lunch with my dad and a work colleague and my IM called me...

WH called her and wants her to let me know he wants to work on the marriage.

He has firmly told OW that he will no longer have a personal friendship with her.

He would like me to meet him halfway with OW NC to work on the marriage.

He suggested that I am encouraged and welcome to attend all rehearsals, gigs and overseas trips with their band.

He will only associate with her on these occasions on a strictly professional manner.

He will become an open book and I am able to have an insight into his life at all times.

He chooses me and the marriage, not OW.

IM said she believes he is genuine and really wants to work on us and is willing to do IC and MC too. She thinks I should consider the OW professionally as she believes it may work, but it is up to me.

She asked what to tell him.

I said tell him I'd consider what he said and suggested carefully. If I wanted to chat about it, I would contact him directly.

WOW

Should I be digging out my list of boundaries to give him something to commit to? I'm slightly annoyed that I got no peace and quiet and changed the locks for him to do a turn around in 4 days. That's shy I think it was just an EA with no chance for a PA (according to her and what we all thought).

I just need some really clear boundaries so this does not happen again.

I have not contacted him and I am hoping for some suggestions and advice from all - especially silly foreigners!!!!!!!

-------edited to add----------

He went through my IM dance2

Last edited by 2much2lose; 12/04/08 10:49 PM.

BS 32 (1st marriage), WH 38 (2nd marriage), DD 3, DS 1
Married Aug 2002, EA/PA 2005, NC mid 2005
EA Jun 2008, Plan A, 1 Aug 2008, WH moved out 14 Sep 08, D-Day 14 Sep 08, Moved home 2 Nov 08, moved out 30 Nov 08
Plan B, 2 Dec 08, broken 5, 11, 15 & 17 Dec 08
Current Status: Contact for visitation, children and finances.
Embarking on a new plan to Let go and Let God and to not settle for less than I deserve!
M
M
Originally Posted by 2much2lose
He will only associate with her on these occasions on a strictly professional manner.

That is really cute! Sort of like the alcoholic changing the name of his drinks to "professional drinks!" Do you think he would ever sober up? smile

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

OP Offline
Hmmmm - I know what you mean.

But, if it's not her then why not the next girl?

What actions can I take to prevent it from happening again?

It's not my preferred choice at all. I would love the NC option, but I know he'll latch on to another one if deeper things with him/us don't change.

EA Jun 2008, Plan A, 1 Aug 2008, WH moved out 14 Sep 08, D-Day 14 Sep 08, Moved home 2 Nov 08, moved out 30 Nov 08
Embarking on a new plan to Let go and Let God and to not settle for less than I deserve!
M
M
She asked what to tell him.

I said tell him I'd consider what he said and suggested carefully. If I wanted to chat about it, I would contact him directly.

Her response should be something like this:

Dear WS, thank you for your communication, but nothing short of complete no contact for life will suffice. Please let me know at that time and I will discuss potential reconciliation with 2Much2Lose.

Your WS DOES NOT HAVE ANY NEGOTIATING POWER HERE, 2MUCH!

Exposure 101

M
M

It's not my preferred choice at all. I would love the NC option, but I know he'll latch on to another one if deeper things with him/us don't change.

I see, then you might as well get a divorce.

Exposure 101

B
B
Would you like me to list some of the BS's I know of on this site who did not insist on absolute and complete NC? and where their marriages are today?

To put this in the simplest possible terms, without absolute NC, your marriage is doomed and recovery is impossible.

Notice I didn't say DIFFICULT??? I said IMPOSSIBLE

Not to mention this isn't complete surrender - it's your WH wanting to negotiate the terms of surrender. The japs tried that in WW2 and the Americans didn't fall for it either.

D-Day August 2005
Empty Nesters.
Fully Recovered.
OP Offline
A WS will always try to get you to lower the BAR so he does not have to RAISE THE BAR. He is testing you and you PASSED THE TEST WITH FLYING COLORS.

So, I guess you mean that if I let him stay professionally associated with her, I've lowered the bar and then he will think he can continue to lower the bar forever and I don't really mean what I say, you're not really hurt, it was just a coffee blah blah blah.

I think you want me to stay firm on this and do nothing.

M
M
2much, he has to end his affair and never have contact with her again. That is the first step in recovery.

The second is to NEVER GET INTO A POSITION WHERE THIS HAPPENS AGAIN. There should not ever be another one if you follow the MB program and remove the conditions that led to the affair. The conditions that allowed the affair [s] to happen in the past have to be CHANGED.

Exposure 101

B
B

Simply, you both will need to work on affair proofing your marriage.

He IS a serial cheater. He probably will never change. Boundaries and affair proofing of your marriage have to be in place.

Sounds to me like you don't believe he can change either.

D-Day August 2005
Empty Nesters.
Fully Recovered.
M
M
A WS will always try to get you to lower the BAR so he does not have to RAISE THE BAR. He is testing you and you PASSED THE TEST WITH FLYING COLORS.

So, I guess you mean that if I let him stay professionally associated with her, I've lowered the bar and then he will think he can continue to lower the bar forever and I don't really mean what I say, you're not really hurt, it was just a coffee blah blah blah.

No, i don't want you to be "FIRM." I want you to be SANE. Can an alcoholic sober up and RECOVER if he changes the names of his drinks to "PROFESSIONAL?"

Can I go to the bar right now, after 23 years of sobriety, and maintain my sobriety by simply ordering a "professional" drink?

just answer me that, please.

Exposure 101

B
B

He will be bending his OW over the bar if you don't insist on NC for life.

D-Day August 2005
Empty Nesters.
Fully Recovered.
M
M
YOU ARE BEING CONNED!!

This is a ruse designed to get you back while he continues his affair. A CON JOB!! Your Plan B is working and he trying to get you back in place so he can have TWO WOMEN MEETING HIS NEEDS.

YOU ARE BEING CONNED!!

Exposure 101

OP Offline
Dear WS, thank you for your communication, but nothing short of complete no contact for life will suffice. Please let me know at that time and I will discuss potential reconciliation with 2Much2Lose.

Your WS DOES NOT HAVE ANY NEGOTIATING POWER HERE, 2MUCH!

Done. Thank you for your suggestion. I just emailed this to the IM and asked her to send it to WH.

I don't want to lower the bar.

B
B
Thank goodness!

D-Day August 2005
Empty Nesters.
Fully Recovered.
M
M
Good for you! You are showing great strenght. I feel that you have an excellent shot at recovery. Good luck

Plan D June 08
Me FBS 36
W 38
Married 13/1/09
The best is yet to come, with or without your WS
OP Offline
Originally Posted by bigkahuna
Would you like me to list some of the BS's I know of on this site who did not insist on absolute and complete NC? and where their marriages are today?

To put this in the simplest possible terms, without absolute NC, your marriage is doomed and recovery is impossible.

Notice I didn't say DIFFICULT??? I said IMPOSSIBLE

Not to mention this isn't complete surrender - it's your WH wanting to negotiate the terms of surrender. The japs tried that in WW2 and the Americans didn't fall for it either.

This is insanely scary, we've been here before and I lowered the bar then and I will never lower the bar again.

M
M
2Much, it is imperative that you understand why absolute no contact for life is the only acceptable answer. Your H is having an affair with this woman. He is addicted to her so much that he has jeopardized his marriage and family over this so called "friendship." Ask yourself if men leave their families over "friendships" with men named JOE?? NO, they do not!!

It is because of this addictive quality that only complete and total no contact FOR LIFE will suffice.

In order for your marriage to recover, he must withdraw from his addiction. You must also be protected from this ****edit****. She has to be entirely out your lives in order to recover your marriage. It is the EXACT same principle as an alcholic who is recovering. He cannot change the name of his drinks to some silly cute new word like "professional" and possibly stay sober. It is impossible!!

Nor can your H continue to see the OW and hope to withdraw. He would be triggered every time he saw her no matter WHAT you called the interaction! You could call it a DOG FART, it is still going to trigger that addiction.

And it will still TRIGGER you every time he is around her, because you will live in a state of anxiety and die a death of a thousand cuts. Ignoring this ESSENTIAL WARNING is how affairs turn into 5, 10, 15 year affairs. just ask some of the other board members!

As far as future affairs, one of the CONDITIONS of your PBL was to participate in a program of recovery. That means removing the conditions that led to these affairs in the first place! If he is not willing to do that, then this will be hopeless! You shouldnt even consider taking him back unless he agrees to CHANGE THE CONDITIONS of his life that made him vulnerable to an affair.

Without those changes, I guarantee that you will be facing another affair.

Last edited by Dufresne; 12/04/08 11:23 PM. Reason: don't bypass the profanity filter please

Exposure 101

Page 22 of 48 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 47 48

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 295 guests, and 56 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation