Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2184837 12/31/08 09:48 AM
A
OP Offline
A
My name is still on my Ex's paid off car. He's remarried. Do I legally need to be concerned? His name was on my old car but when I bought my new car 2 years ago he gladly signed off of mine and we've never dealt with his.

Ronda

Me, 43
DS18, DD12
Divorce final May 10, 2007
C
C
I would try to get it off. I would think he would be agreeable.

cinderella #2184851 12/31/08 10:15 AM
T
T
As an owner of a vehicle, whether you drove it or not come lawsuit time the lawyers will go after who ever they can. As a owner you are a potential target.

A few years ago some car leasing companies were getting out of the car leasing business. The leasee would get into an accident where there would be major damage. Not just physical but loss of life by wrongful death, huge long term medical care needed to be provided for. Especially when the leasee's car injured a 21 year old person that may live for another 60 years.

So what happens is this 21 is now a paraplegic or lost two limbs or never will walk again.
Never hold a job now, etc...

The leasee's insurance may only be the minimum their state requires will not cover the judgment.

So who do the lawyers look to collect money from when the driver can not pay enough?
Who ever owns the car. You are a co owner.

TheRoad #2184886 12/31/08 11:08 AM
T
T
Agree with Road and I have another example. My car-pool guy once sold an old car privately. The buyer never went into the MTO to get the ownership changed. I guess they got pulled over for something or another and the cops searched the car and found drugs. Because the car was registered to him, he was charged with possession and traffiking. He got booked and fingerprinted and everything! He beat the charges (he had proof he had sold the car) but it was still a very harrowing and nerve wracking experience.

Tabby1 #2184905 12/31/08 11:40 AM
A
OP Offline
A
Yikes! okay.....so do I just sign off and not request half of the value of the car?

Me, 43
DS18, DD12
Divorce final May 10, 2007
T
T
Is there much value to the car? Worth going to court over? Is there anything in your divorce settlement to cover this?

If it were me, unless the car was a valuable antique or Porche, I would eat the cost. The risks are too high to make it worthwhile delaying while you fight with your X over it.

I do recommend that you go into the MTO/DMV (whatever it's called there) WITH your X to make sure your name is off.

Tabby1 #2184969 12/31/08 01:19 PM
T
T
I had a car problem with my exH also. When we divorced, he was to re-finance the car loan into his name only and release me from the liability. However, knowing what a lazy, do nothing fella he was, I had it written in the settlement agreement that he had 90 days in which to re-finance the car, and/or if he missed 3 car payments and I had to pony up to keep my credit safe, I had the right to repossess the car, pay off the loan and sell it and keep all proceeds.

That's exactly what happened. My ex was arrested, and the car impounded. The sheriff showed up at my house with a notice that the car was going to auction because no one claimed it at the police auto pound. I had to pony up $775 to get it out of the pound, and then I called the loan company. He had missed two payments and was working on the third when I called. I had to come up with the late payments, and pay the rest of the outstanding loan (to the tune of $4,100)to keep the car from being repossessed and my credit getting whacked. Then I got the title, forged his signature (I don't recommend this particular plan of action, but I had no choice - he was in jail)and sold it for $3,900. The $200 loss I took was well worth the peace of mind.

Laura

Older But Definately Happier and Wiser
B
B
I'll add that I don't consider this to be an off-topic issue at all.

Me: 48 XW: 44 DD: 15
Lived Together: 7 Married: 18 Total: 25 years
W announced divorce 11-3-2006, I moved out 11-7-2006, served papers 11-8-2006. Divorce final 12-19-2006. Life gets better every day.
Tabby1 #2185194 12/31/08 07:37 PM
R
R
Another variation to Tabby's example: Car is stolen and used for robbery: your name is on it too.

B
B
Originally Posted by AllurinGreenEyes
Yikes! okay.....so do I just sign off and not request half of the value of the car?

Yikes! Now you're talking attorney. He signed off on yours, why not just sign off on his. You likely have to get a new title. Tell him you will gladly do the runaround and pay the fees so it will be no inconvenience to him.

Also make sure the lien holder is removed from the title. This is often forgotten after the car is paid for.

ba109

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,116 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation