Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
R
R
I think the Harley plans work fine. But it requires that the WS had been a relatively emotionally mature person and the A reflects a regression of sorts.

I personally think this is the point that at times gets missed in the advice here. Some level of emotional maturity on the part of both spouses is a lynchpin in virtually any relationship advice. If you aren't dealing with someone with some level of emotional maturity, then nothing is going to "work."

Plan A, Plan B, Plan D, Plan U, aren't solutions, they are tests. Tests that determine the emotional maturity of your spouse.

Me 43 BH
MT 43 WW
Married 20 years, No Kids, 2 Difficult Cats
D-day July, 2005
4.5 False Recoveries
Me - recovered
The M - recovered
M
M

Dr. Harley: "Plan A should never involve sacrifice. In other words, you can be as encouraging as possible about your willingness to meet his emotional needs without actually doing it, and still be in Plan A. And you can defend yourself from your husband's abuse (calling the police or calling his lover's husband) and still be in Plan A. The point of plan A is that you are making an effort to do your part to make your marriage successful, but from my perspective, it should never involve personal sacrifice."

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

C
C
Originally Posted by rprynne
I think the Harley plans work fine. But it requires that the WS had been a relatively emotionally mature person and the A reflects a regression of sorts.

I personally think this is the point that at times gets missed in the advice here. Some level of emotional maturity on the part of both spouses is a lynchpin in virtually any relationship advice. If you aren't dealing with someone with some level of emotional maturity, then nothing is going to "work."

Plan A, Plan B, Plan D, Plan U, aren't solutions, they are tests. Tests that determine the emotional maturity of your spouse.

I agree about the emotional maturity. I'd add, though, that the crisis caused by the affair can really show both spouses that they are deeper than they thought. Also, because people are not static, but capable of growth, the affair crisis can be a catalyst to develop that maturity that was lacking before.

The BW or BH who is able to Plan A is going to find deeper reserves of strength than they ever thought possible as they go through this. A WW who is able to break free of the affair and return to the marriage will be demonstrating more emotional maturity that either party would have thought them capable of.

Me: 41, INFP
Her: 46, ESFJ
Married 6/95
B-G Twins
4 yrs recovered from serious neglect on my part.
So happy together!
M
M
Originally Posted by MyRevelation
The key here is RESPECT ... without it on some fundemental level ... I don't think you can have any type of true recovery and in most of these situations the WW has stripped the BH of his self-respect, which makes it very easy for the WW to lose all remaining RESPECT for her BH.

MyRev...

I keep hearing you talk over and over about "self-respect" and being "stripped" of it by someone else...That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me because self-respect is something that comes from within...it just IS...You either do respect yourself or you do not...No one has the power to take that away from you without your consent...Your self-respect is YOURS and is up to YOU...In the same way that Mr. W had no power to make me respect myself, which I obviously did not as I chose to have an affair...I now have self-respect because of ME, and I know you won't relish hearing this, but mine comes from God...Hearing and finally truly BELIEVING that God meant what He said...That I (and everyone else) is "fearfully and wonderfully made"...

And I gotta say that I am sooooo glad that Mr. W didn't come here and get the advice to "kick her to the curb"...Because I promise you that if you had heard the descriptions of "Wayward Mrs. W" you would NOT have believed me "worth it"...I was just as bad as any of the WSs that we read about here...I was a MONSTER...Today I am not that person at all...I have changed in ways that most would likely have never believed possible, but I am more grateful than I have words to express that Mr. W had the strength and faith to do Plan A and do it right...He saved me and our family and he will forever have my deepest love, respect and awe for doing so...He is a man amongst men...He is my hero...

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

L
L
Originally Posted by Zelmo
I have come to peace, but I have not forgiven as I have never received a request for forgiveness.
I have never asked my H for forgiveness. He asked me why about a month after I confessed to him. I said because I don't want to force him to forgive me. He has to want to do that himself. I want to be forgiven. But what I've done is so egregious, I can't expect it to happen so if it happens, it needs to be because my H is ready to do so, not because I beg him too.

Originally Posted by Zelmo
Janis Abran Sprin, in her book "How Can I Forgive You" makes a distinction between acceptance, which allows one to move on when a person never apologizes and forgiveness, which she feels require active participation from the transgressor.
I've read this book twice and refer to it often. It has helped me tremendously as I've tried to forgive myself (I'm still just at acceptance stage) and tried to learn what I can do to help others forgive me or themself throughout this mess. I strongly recommend it to anyone struggling with hurt caused by him/herself or others. The author's name is spelled Janis Abrahms Spring.

Me (FWW): 45
BH: 46
M: 11/94
PA: 2/08 (4 mos)
Confessed: 10/08
DS10
DD8
M
M
Originally Posted by CuthbertCalculus
I agree about the emotional maturity. I'd add, though, that the crisis caused by the affair can really show both spouses that they are deeper than they thought. Also, because people are not static, but capable of growth, the affair crisis can be a catalyst to develop that maturity that was lacking before.

The BW or BH who is able to Plan A is going to find deeper reserves of strength than they ever thought possible as they go through this. A WW who is able to break free of the affair and return to the marriage will be demonstrating more emotional maturity that either party would have thought them capable of.

YES! Very well said and very true!

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

E
E
Originally Posted by MrsWondering
Originally Posted by Enlightened_Ex
Exposure doesn't end an affair. My WW and her OM were BOTH exposed. I know I exposed him to his wife, not to mention those he worked with. I exposed her as well.

It didn't do a darn thing to stop the affair. It seemed to bring them close together.

There are so many variables that one plan cannot work for all cases.

So simple statements like exposure ends affairs are way too simple to reflect all realities.

Well EE, the fastest horse doesn't always win, but it's still the best bet...

Mrs. W

Yes, I worded my initial comments poorly. I took exception with Exposure ALWAYS works. I wrongly said exposure doesn't work. It works in some cases.

But not all cases. In many cases, it drives the lovers closer together, like martyrs with a common oppressor. (At least in their wayward minds!)

M
M
Exposure doesn't end an affair. My WW and her OM were BOTH exposed. I know I exposed him to his wife, not to mention those he worked with. I exposed her as well.

It didn't do a darn thing to stop the affair. It seemed to bring them close together.

So simple statements like exposure ends affairs are way too simple to reflect all realities.

Mrs. W

Yes, I worded my initial comments poorly. I took exception with Exposure ALWAYS works. I wrongly said exposure doesn't work. It works in some cases.

But not all cases. In many cases, it drives the lovers closer together, like martyrs with a common oppressor. (At least in their wayward minds!)

Gotcha...I can see that... smile

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

M
M

Mrs. W

But EE, even if they are pushed together in that way, in most cases, they are just two ticks without a dog!

Standing in His Presence

FBS (me) (48)
FWW (41)
Married April 1993...
4 kids (19(B), 17(G), 14(B), 4(B))
Blessed by God more than I deserve
"If Jesus is your co-pilot...you need to change seats!"

Link: The Roles of Husbands and Wives
T
T
MyRev...

I keep hearing you talk over and over about "self-respect" and being "stripped" of it by someone else...That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me because self-respect is something that comes from within...it just IS...You either do respect yourself or you do not...No one has the power to take that away from you without your consent...Your self-respect is YOURS and is up to YOU...

See the thing is, on the day a BS made his or her vows, (s)he put that power into the hands of his/her spouse. How? Because (s)he believed the WS was telling the truth, and lived life under the assumption that the WS was honouring those vows. So yes, among the many wounds suffered by the BS, self-respect is right up there. Regaining it after D-day is a painful process that doesn't happen immediately, even if the WS is instantly remorseful and returns immediately as a poster-child FWS.

M
M
Originally Posted by Tabby1
MyRev...

I keep hearing you talk over and over about "self-respect" and being "stripped" of it by someone else...That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me because self-respect is something that comes from within...it just IS...You either do respect yourself or you do not...No one has the power to take that away from you without your consent...Your self-respect is YOURS and is up to YOU...

See the thing is, on the day a BS made his or her vows, (s)he put that power into the hands of his/her spouse. How? Because (s)he believed the WS was telling the truth, and lived life under the assumption that the WS was honouring those vows. So yes, among the many wounds suffered by the BS, self-respect is right up there. Regaining it after D-day is a painful process that doesn't happen immediately, even if the WS is instantly remorseful and returns immediately as a poster-child FWS.

I suppose I just have a different sort of spouse...Nothing I could ever do would change who he is fundamentally...Sure, he and I both have learned so much since the affair, but Mr. W's self-respect was never up for grabs...His life's motto has always been "ACT, Don't REACT" and he operated by that the entire time and still does til this day...I suspect he always will...

He is an anomaly on many levels...I aspire to be more like him...He is a great inspiration...

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

E
E
Originally Posted by Mark1952
Why do I keep doing this?

Rhetorical question, I have an answer already...

Those with the biggest problem with Plan A can't describe it and have probably never done it.

Plan A is NOT paying for a WW to continue her affair. It is NOT placating her so that she won't run off with OM. I t is NOT rolling over and taking it while she boinks OM and you watch the kids so she doesn't have to worry about them.

Plan B is NOT letting her know that when she's had her fun that you will accept her back and everything will go back to the way it was. Plan B is NOT about reducing yourself to the level of acceptance of being a cuckold.

Plan A CAN'T be forever because it is IMPOSSIBLE to do it for very long. The 6 months for men and 3 for women is Dr Harley's recommendation for the MAXIMUM time you should attempt it because if you do it and do it RIGHT it will KILL YOU or at least make you wish you were dead.

Plan A is GIVING while NOT getting anything in return. If you can't do it, then don't bother to try.

Plan B is most likely to end in divorce. It is more likely to end in divorce than Plan A followed by Plan B and is almost as likely to end in divorce as going right for Plan D. Once you are not together you have NO chance to make love bank deposits and no chance to show that you can meet ENs or any of the other things that Plan A is supposed to be for. Plan B is the last hope for those who still hold onto it.

Another comment here that I feel I should address is the question about who says the first marriage is the right one...

If a marriage ends because of abuse, cheating by your spouse or abuse of the children or abandonment, then a second chance is valid, acceptable and a great idea.

If the second chance at love is with someone whom you met while married and began an affair with no matter what you thought of your spouse at the time then it is NOT right and even if your marriage ends because of other reasons your affair partner canNOT be "the right one" especially if he/she was married during your affair as well.

Happiness cannot trump the fact that adultery is wrong. Feelings cannot override the fact that it is wrong to break a vow and the fact that you fell in love with someone else while married is not the only condition by which to judge right and really should not even be considered as one standard at all, since falling in love is a CHOICE and NOT something that happens to you without any decision from you. You can say "I didn't mean for it to happen" all you want but the time to decide to prevent it from happening was when you made the choice to allow the conditions that let it happen. THAT is when you choose remain faithful, not when your underwear is damp.

raozone, you are right that Plan B is not about the WS but about the BS. But really, so is Plan A. Plan A is supposed to remove the obstacles that might prevent the WS from choosing to remain with the BS instead of running off with the AP. It is a way for the BS to show the WS that he/she is willing to meet the ENs that AP is meeting and at the same time give the BS leverage against the affair through the stick side of the equation including exposure. It is NOT being nice to a tramp. It is NOT doing laundry for a philandering womanizer. It IS stepping up and making sure that everything on your side of the fence is in order and YOU are not the reason the marriage is failing.

If you do Plan A, not rollover and let WS walk all over you but a real Plan A that does NOT tolerate disrespect because in Plan A you stand up for yourself without the WS being your only source of self and actually make yourself a better person.

The problem I have with the idea that you have to choose between standing up for yourself and Plan A is that Plan A is about standing up for yourself. It is about not taking the status quo from your lying cheating spouse and about making yourself the best person you can be in spite of, not because of you spouse. It makes you strong in and of yourself and removes your spouse as your source of fulfillment and life.

Not every marriage should be saved and some will never get over the pain of betrayal and for them there is Plan D and Plan FU. Those are perfectly valid PLANS. Most people are not advised to choose one of those when they get here because this is called Marriage BUILDERS and not Marriage Enders. (there may be one of those BTW and I have no affiliation with that group or any other group wishing to advertise on this site) By the fact that people come here to ask what they should do leads most of us to believe that they have decided to try to save the marriage.

Now the ones for whom Plan A beats them down, makes them feel worthless and diminishes their own ability to function in life without being a doormat: If you are not getting stronger as you do Plan A, you aren't doing Plan A.
If your confidence is failing during Plan A because you are unsure of what you are doing being the right thing to do then you are NOT doing Plan A.
If you are not doing Plan A with the GOAL of a fully recovered marriage in mind, you are NOT doing Plan A.
If you are not doing Plan A with an already determined end point in mind beyond which you will walk away knowing you did your best, you are NOT in Plan A.
If you are not doing Plan A with the idea of ending up with the marriage YOU want then you are not doing Plan A.
If you are babysitting so your WW can go boink OM and saying you are connecting with the kids for the first time in your life, you are NOT in Plan A.

You win at Plan A by being BETTER not by being easier to push around.

And that applies to those who do NOT save their marriage as well as those that do.

If you feel like you are being a doormat during Plan A, you might be doing everything right.

If people are telling you you are being a doormat you aren't doing it right.

Plan A and Plan B do NOT force anyone to come back to the marriage that doesn't want to come back to the marriage.

In order to recover you do have to be able to accept that it happened. In order to recover you do have to forgive and move forward.

You do have to have a remorseful FORMER wayward spouse who has earned the stripes of the F by their actions and not by their inaction (No longer boinking OM every Thursday, Saturday and every other Monday nights does NOT make one a FORMER WW any more than waking up sober one morning makes one a FORMER alcoholic)

You do NOT have to forget all about it.

You do NOT have to settle for what you get.

If you settle for being second best, that is YOUR choice.

I have to go to work. No time to proof-read or edit...

Mark

Mark,

Some of this is good and some is contradictory.

First you say you can't do plan A forever, then you say if you are getting beaten down by plan A, then you are not doing plan A. Well, frankly that appears to be a contradiction. If it didn't beat you down,sapping your strength to do plan A, then you COULD do it forever. So I tend to disagree with what appears to be contradictory.

One could be doing a PERFECT plan A, and still become exhausted, emotionally beaten up, etc.

I'll put this part up again because there is a lot in what you said:

Now the ones for whom Plan A beats them down, makes them feel worthless and diminishes their own ability to function in life without being a doormat: If you are not getting stronger as you do Plan A, you aren't doing Plan A.

Actually they may be doing an excellent plan A, but are depressed because the results don't follow the effort expended. As you say, they may "FEEL" like a doormat and eventually develop resentment because they are eliminating LB's attempting to meet needs (often needs the WS refuses to allow the BS to meet.)

Failure tends to weaken folks. Even scripture warns about this:

Proverbs 13:12 Hope deferred makes the heart sick, But desire fulfilled is a tree of life.

The failure of plan A to bring a WW back can make the heart and mind of the BH sick. So I disagree with the notion that if you are being beaten down by plan A, you are not doing it right. If you are doing it and your spouse doesn't end the affair, I think ones heart will grow sick.

If your confidence is failing during Plan A because you are unsure of what you are doing being the right thing to do then you are NOT doing Plan A.
Again, I disagree. If there are no results, confidence is shaken. One begins to question if they are really meeting EN's or understand what LB's are present. One is told to eliminate LB's but if the WS or someone like Steve Harley or others can't identify the WW's EN's or the BH's LB's then their plan A is likely fruitless.

Since most WW's have already closed the door to their BH's, they respond like mine did, which was to not even answer the LB questionare. Steve Harley had me fill it out how I THOUGHT she would answer, but that's not nearly as good as if she were to provide the feedback as to what was most destructive to her love bank, and what makes the most effective deposits.

So I disagree that uncertainty means you are not doing plan A. You can be doing plan A to the best of your ability and knowledge, but still not be hitting the right things. After all, if we knew the right things to do instinctively, then there would be no need for Dr H, or Steve H, or Jennifer, etc.

Lacking specific feedback from the WW, plan A is only an educated guess.
If you are not doing Plan A with the GOAL of a fully recovered marriage in mind, you are NOT doing Plan A.

If you are not doing Plan A with an already determined end point in mind beyond which you will walk away knowing you did your best, you are NOT in Plan A.
I don't know about this one. There comes a point where resentment at the lack of fruits for one's efforts will lead to destructive LB behavior. That combined with recognizing that one cannot plan A forever, it makes sense that one has a decision point mapped out. A point where the BH looks at what is going on and decides if plan A continues and sets another decision point, or that plan B begins and he tells her he loves her, but will not compete with the OM, so she is on her own for getting ALL her needs met, contact me via XYZ only regarding the children, etc.
If you are not doing Plan A with the idea of ending up with the marriage YOU want then you are not doing Plan A.
If you are babysitting so your WW can go boink OM and saying you are connecting with the kids for the first time in your life, you are NOT in Plan A.

Here is where I think it's difficult to put your eggs in one basket. If you believe the only possible outcome is a saved marriage, a better marriage, etc, I think that leaves you ripe for some serious disappointment, and that could be some disappointment that threatens your very life.

I wanted to kill myself at times when I thought that my marriage wouldn't last. I put all the blame on myself and thought I had failed, it was all my fault, etc.

Is that plan A? No. Yet it's so easy to get into that mindset when you are working on eliminating any LB's and trying to meet EN's. I was told time and time again it does no good to look at the failures and sins of the WW, because you can only fix yourself.

True, but that can still be dangerous thinking. If it leads one to own it all, then one puts your own mental and physical health at risk.

I think the more healthy goal of plan is to eliminate your LB's try to meet EN's and be the best H you can be. If you wife wishes to return, it's largely on your terms, but she is allowed to bring concerns about how the marriage goes into the discussion.

That can happen without it turning into a blameshift, such as I wouldn't have had the affair if you would have only...

The person who says that is still wayward and it may be safer for them to stay away a bit longer.

But if they say I was looking for XYZ and it was wrong for me to look for that outside the marriage, so I want that as we move forward, I believe that's not unreasonable.

I hear many say that the WW has to come back on the BH's terms. Well, she's a person too and she likely has legitimate complaints about how the marriage was going prior to her affair. So who is going to come back to a situation where she still has little or no voice?

But those requests have to be thoughtful requests, not demands or blame-shifts.
And that applies to those who do NOT save their marriage as well as those that do.

If you feel like you are being a doormat during Plan A, you might be doing everything right.

Just my rambling. Perhaps I'm missing something, or perhaps it's just a difference in perspective. My marriage was NOT saved by MB. I did plan A, I did exposure. I don't think I ever really did plan B. I told her I loved her, would not share, and only discussed the child from then on. I didn't do the intermediary because we spoke so seldom it didn't make sense to put someone in the middle and no one really wanted to be there, so what did it matter at that point.

A
A
MyRev,

Be careful, you are starting to sound like me.

One of my big hearburns with these forums is the lack of triage. But I have posted that to the abyss before.

Quite often, mainly with BH, one does not know for several years what one really wants after adultery. Some people simply take a long time to decide. They have to work it through slowly and repeatedly.

But then what? Once you finally know you do not want to be with the adultress after all are you stuck?

PS: The honeymoon period is called hysterical sex by most psycologists.

"Never forget that your pain means nothing to a WS." ~Mulan

"An ethical man knows it is wrong to cheat on his wife. A moral man will not actually do it." ~ Ducky

WS: They are who they are.

When an eel lunges out
And it bites off your snout
Thats a moray ~DS
P
pomdbd3 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I think the analogy of the 57 Chevy is the best example used so far.

My point in this thread was simply to explore the challenge of recovery. 3 years on in my own personal healing and I think my life is better without the exww than it was/is with her in it. I don't have to take care of a grown up child in a woman's body anymore and that is a great relief.

Our relationship was messed up on many levels. The "best" times of closeness and love in our M was when she was dealing with her medical issues and I took care of her. I felt the love was there because I took care of her and I actually made the mistaken idea that she appreciated the sacrifice I was making professionally to do this.

She would have some sort of illness or panic attack and I stuck to her side over and over again.

After a while, however, these medical issues started developing into a cry wolf problem and I became more and more callous about them. My workmates were already at that point.

I had a higher tolerance level.

So when D-Day hit 3 years ago I wanted to save things. I wanted to preserve the family out of a panic that I'd lose my kids.

3 years on I have them a pretty fair amount of time and I don't have her to take care of anymore. I can focus on my own life and focus on finding a woman who will be an equal in the relationship and not something that is codependent.

I didn't have a 57 Chevy that was worth restoring since I didn't have a case of a woman who was mentally healthy from the get go. She was and still is someone with poor boundary issues and still dealing with her yearly medical "crisis" of one sort or another.

I feel free to not have to worry about her problems, which is something that I'm sure I would have had to deal with if I was still married.

DD6 happened to mention to my mother how the new boyfriend helps lift her out of bed and helps guide her down the stairs and get around, etc, etc. This was after they got rear ended and he was just fine but she apparently had more pain to deal with.

My mom told me the story and I simply said, "You don't have to tell me more. I lived that for 4 years. I already know the story."

I started this thread because I have gotten to point where I feel my life divorced is better than what I would have had to deal with if I had stayed married.

It's my kids that have to deal with the split homes and I feel bad for them for that, but I am free of having to deal with taking care of another grown up.

So my point is that some waywards are worth putting in the effort for and some require a prompt and strong response by a BH to secure their rights as fathers and get custody of their children. It's these men that I feel compelled to help.

erichh is in such a situation. Married to a serial cheater and manipulator. First glance says she's not worth saving.

But the universal response by all BHes is to take strong action and protect their rights as fathers.

Zambo is a train wreck waiting to happen. He's sitting on the tracks with the train speeding right towards him and he's simply telling himself "this can't really be happening!"

Well it is.

So if you guys can help him, please do so.

D-Day 28 Feb 06
Plan D (Not by choice) - 24 March 06

DD6
DS4(Twin1)
DS4(Twin2)

She moved away with the kids April 08. I contested it and got a lot more time with my kids. She's unhappy that I want to stay involved in their lives and don't settle for being an "every other weekend" dad.

Never going to happen.

Ongoing personal recovery through the help of friends, family, and DC United Soccer!
T
T
EE, I think you may be misinterpreting some of Mark's post (which I second the motion to be placed into the notable posts thread).

First you say you can't do plan A forever, then you say if you are getting beaten down by plan A, then you are not doing plan A. Well, frankly that appears to be a contradiction. If it didn't beat you down,sapping your strength to do plan A, then you COULD do it forever. So I tend to disagree with what appears to be contradictory.
I think the point is, you should move to Plan B BEFORE your strength is sapped. Many here stay in Plan A indefinitely, allowing their WS's a feast of cake eating. I also think this is counterproductive since whenever Plan B is implemented, instead of the WS looking to the OP to meet all their ENs, they just get upset with the BS for taking away the desert tray.

Actually they may be doing an excellent plan A, but are depressed because the results don't follow the effort expended. As you say, they may "FEEL" like a doormat and eventually develop resentment because they are eliminating LB's attempting to meet needs (often needs the WS refuses to allow the BS to meet.)
If you expect results to follow the efforts, you are not executing Plan A correctly. Plan A means NO EXPECTATIONS.

Failure tends to weaken folks. Even scripture warns about this:

Proverbs 13:12 Hope deferred makes the heart sick, But desire fulfilled is a tree of life.

The failure of plan A to bring a WW back can make the heart and mind of the BH sick. So I disagree with the notion that if you are being beaten down by plan A, you are not doing it right. If you are doing it and your spouse doesn't end the affair, I think ones heart will grow sick.
The purpose of Plan B is to protect the BS before their heart and mind becomes so sick they lose their love for their WS. So, if you have reached this point, you have Plan A'd too long.

Again, I disagree. If there are no results, confidence is shaken. One begins to question if they are really meeting EN's or understand what LB's are present. One is told to eliminate LB's but if the WS or someone like Steve Harley or others can't identify the WW's EN's or the BH's LB's then their plan A is likely fruitless.
Again, there should be no expectations. Plan A is not for the weak.

Since most WW's have already closed the door to their BH's, they respond like mine did, which was to not even answer the LB questionare. Steve Harley had me fill it out how I THOUGHT she would answer, but that's not nearly as good as if she were to provide the feedback as to what was most destructive to her love bank, and what makes the most effective deposits.
Plan A is only going to work by itself in 15% of cases. Mine did even less than this - he moved in with OW.

So I disagree that uncertainty means you are not doing plan A. You can be doing plan A to the best of your ability and knowledge, but still not be hitting the right things. After all, if we knew the right things to do instinctively, then there would be no need for Dr H, or Steve H, or Jennifer, etc.

Lacking specific feedback from the WW, plan A is only an educated guess.
Meeting ENs and eliminating LBs is only one part of Plan A. Many of these are pretty obvious. AO's and DJ's are LBs for anyone. And you must have some clue of some EN if you have been married for any period of time - there must have been something you did once upon a time to make her smile.

I don't know about this one. There comes a point where resentment at the lack of fruits for one's efforts will lead to destructive LB behavior. That combined with recognizing that one cannot plan A forever, it makes sense that one has a decision point mapped out. A point where the BH looks at what is going on and decides if plan A continues and sets another decision point, or that plan B begins and he tells her he loves her, but will not compete with the OM, so she is on her own for getting ALL her needs met, contact me via XYZ only regarding the children, etc.
This is exactly why Plan B is implemented. A BS's endpoint can be different for each individual. Some have already mentioned an OC. In my case, the LBs coming at me from WstbxH were too much - including many that had gone on for years that I had only just discovered.

Here is where I think it's difficult to put your eggs in one basket. If you believe the only possible outcome is a saved marriage, a better marriage, etc, I think that leaves you ripe for some serious disappointment, and that could be some disappointment that threatens your very life.
It's not what the only POSSIBLE outcome is, it's what your DESIRED outcome is.

I think the more healthy goal of plan is to eliminate your LB's try to meet EN's and be the best H you can be. If you wife wishes to return, it's largely on your terms, but she is allowed to bring concerns about how the marriage goes into the discussion.
This is all there is to the carrot of Plan A. But it is just the carrot. An active wayward doesn't give a rats a$$ how great an H you can be. You have to attack the affair at the same time.

That can happen without it turning into a blameshift, such as I wouldn't have had the affair if you would have only...

The person who says that is still wayward and it may be safer for them to stay away a bit longer.

But if they say I was looking for XYZ and it was wrong for me to look for that outside the marriage, so I want that as we move forward, I believe that's not unreasonable.

I hear many say that the WW has to come back on the BH's terms. Well, she's a person too and she likely has legitimate complaints about how the marriage was going prior to her affair. So who is going to come back to a situation where she still has little or no voice?

But those requests have to be thoughtful requests, not demands or blame-shifts.
I believe this leans more towards the original topic of this thread, with a slant towards the WW. On the one hand, whether her complaints are legitimate or not, what does she have to ask for anything after what she's done. On the other hand, how good could a marriage ever be if both partners didn't have a voice?

Just my rambling. Perhaps I'm missing something, or perhaps it's just a difference in perspective. My marriage was NOT saved by MB. I did plan A, I did exposure. I don't think I ever really did plan B. I told her I loved her, would not share, and only discussed the child from then on. I didn't do the intermediary because we spoke so seldom it didn't make sense to put someone in the middle and no one really wanted to be there, so what did it matter at that point.
You basically did my version of Plan B - which didn't provide conditions for return to the marriage. There are no such conditions for mine - maybe there were for yours. I don't know. But if you don't tell them, they will never know. Not that it's a bad thing - my life is working out pretty well as things turned out. My M wasn't the greatest - it was the Honda Civic described earlier. Only when it was lying upside down in the bottom of the gutter could I see the severe corrosion underneath.

T
T
Hey Pom, I do understand how you are feeling. But I would like to add to your sentiments that MB principals do more than recover marriages. They help with your personal recovery as well. I have been using these principals all along - long after I gave up on my M. And because of it, I am better now than I was while married. For the same reasons as you - though the details are different, in principal they are the same. Where I once walked on eggshells, I stride through with determination. What I once worried about, I now brush off. I wouldn't have got here without MB. Well, maybe I would but I would be here yet.

I wouldn't condemn anyone for helping a BS save even the most hopeless M. But all BS's should know all sides of the situation - including critical aspects of custody and fathers rights. You do them a great service Pom. You really do.

M
M
MyRev...

I keep hearing you talk over and over about "self-respect" and being "stripped" of it by someone else...That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me because self-respect is something that comes from within...it just IS...You either do respect yourself or you do not...No one has the power to take that away from you without your consent...Your self-respect is YOURS and is up to YOU...In the same way that Mr. W had no power to make me respect myself, which I obviously did not as I chose to have an affair...I now have self-respect because of ME, and I know you won't relish hearing this, but mine comes from God...Hearing and finally truly BELIEVING that God meant what He said...That I (and everyone else) is "fearfully and wonderfully made"...

Mrs. W,

I really don't want this to turn into another argument over semantics, but your response doesn't make any logical sense. In effect you imply that MY self-respect has to come from within, but YOUR self-respect is a gift from God ... a rather condescending double standard to say the least.

Also, I don't think you understand BH's at all if you don't see how a WW's A wouldn't adversely affect a BH's self respect. I can assure you that Mr. W had feelings of inadequacy, which will put quite a dent in your self-respect, when he learned that you were getting your physical needs met elsewhere ... in effect, you had rejected him for a previous lover ... he didn't even get the benefit of being able to tell himself that you just got carried away in the passion of a NEW relationship.

Now I've read quite a bit of Mr. W's posts and he is definately a powerful and confident personality and likely regrouped rather quickly from the wound that was inflicted upon him, but it is fog-like of you to suggest that your actions didn't harm his self-respect in some form for some period of time.

However, Mr. W is not the type of BH that I was describing. I was describing the type of BH whose WW has been systematically emasculating the BH and then using that as an excuse to have an A with OM. That is the type of BH that seems to be coming to MB in greater numbers ... the weak minded, indecisive, fearful, whipped BH who simply can't or won't stand up to his WW.

These cases are basically hopeless for a successful R and I feel that MB is doing these BH's a disservice by pushing a BH to attempt R ("At least you'll know that you've done everything possible to save your M") rather than advise him to use his WW's fantasy state to negotiate a better custody and property settlement agreement for himself and his children.

If you will re-read pom's posts on this thread, he has done a much better job of describing this than I, as I recognize that I have a more agressive writing style that puts some people on the defensive. I also thought Enlightened Ex did a great job of bringing some much needed clarity and perspective to the discussion.

M
M
MyRev,

I would agree with much of what you just posted except that, just as in some of the new cases that you were advising, one of the guys hadnt even decided that his wife was committing adultery, and yo uwere already talking about ultimatums and walking.

I agree that if a BH isnt going to stand up and do the things needed to save his marriage, that he shouldnt be a doormat. And no one I know here is even advocating that, least of all Dr. Harley!

But, as Just Learning advised me in my weak times, there is time for throwing the bum out. And there is no reason to rush that. Not before certain things have been done and the BH is absolutely sure he wants out!

Standing in His Presence

FBS (me) (48)
FWW (41)
Married April 1993...
4 kids (19(B), 17(G), 14(B), 4(B))
Blessed by God more than I deserve
"If Jesus is your co-pilot...you need to change seats!"

Link: The Roles of Husbands and Wives
A
A
Originally Posted by Mortarman
But, as Just Learning advised me in my weak times, there is time for throwing the bum out. And there is no reason to rush that. Not before certain things have been done and the BH is absolutely sure he wants out!
I agree with this, as long as it's not made into a rush order. As long as we more or less agree it could take the BS years to be sure in some cases.

"Never forget that your pain means nothing to a WS." ~Mulan

"An ethical man knows it is wrong to cheat on his wife. A moral man will not actually do it." ~ Ducky

WS: They are who they are.

When an eel lunges out
And it bites off your snout
Thats a moray ~DS
M
M
Originally Posted by MyRevelation
Mrs. W,

I really don't want this to turn into another argument over semantics, but your response doesn't make any logical sense. In effect you imply that MY self-respect has to come from within, but YOUR self-respect is a gift from God ... a rather condescending double standard to say the least.

Please forgive me MyRev...It really wasn't my intent to imply that your self-respect couldn't come from God - I believe that is a choice...*I* do believe that, it's just that I know that your beliefs don't line up with mine where God is concerned...I meant no disrespect and I apologize if that is how I came off...I do 100% believe that you were every bit as "fearfully and wonderfully made" as I am...smile (ETA: as we ALL are)

Originally Posted by MyRev
Also, I don't think you understand BH's at all if you don't see how a WW's A wouldn't adversely affect a BH's self respect. I can assure you that Mr. W had feelings of inadequacy, which will put quite a dent in your self-respect, when he learned that you were getting your physical needs met elsewhere ... in effect, you had rejected him for a previous lover ... he didn't even get the benefit of being able to tell himself that you just got carried away in the passion of a NEW relationship.

Now I've read quite a bit of Mr. W's posts and he is definately a powerful and confident personality and likely regrouped rather quickly from the wound that was inflicted upon him, but it is fog-like of you to suggest that your actions didn't harm his self-respect in some form for some period of time.

However, Mr. W is not the type of BH that I was describing. I was describing the type of BH whose WW has been systematically emasculating the BH and then using that as an excuse to have an A with OM. That is the type of BH that seems to be coming to MB in greater numbers ... the weak minded, indecisive, fearful, whipped BH who simply can't or won't stand up to his WW.

These cases are basically hopeless for a successful R and I feel that MB is doing these BH's a disservice by pushing a BH to attempt R ("At least you'll know that you've done everything possible to save your M") rather than advise him to use his WW's fantasy state to negotiate a better custody and property settlement agreement for himself and his children.

If you will re-read pom's posts on this thread, he has done a much better job of describing this than I, as I recognize that I have a more agressive writing style that puts some people on the defensive. I also thought Enlightened Ex did a great job of bringing some much needed clarity and perspective to the discussion.

I think you are confusing self-esteem and self-respect...I do know that at the very beginning that Mr. W did take a very normal and obvious blow - I would say it was SHOCK and a great fear regarding our dd's future, BUT he was NOT down for very long (just as you have inferred)...That is just NOT him...

I found an interesting article that you might enjoy on the difference between self-esteem and self-respect...Here is the link~~~> Psychology Today Article

And here is the article in it's entirety:

Originally Posted by PsychologyToday
Self-esteem vs. Self-respect
Discusses the differences between self-respect and self-esteem. Explanation on esteeming anything and respecting something; Test of self-respect; Advantages of self-respect.

By: Ellen J. Langer

Our culture is concerned with matters of self-esteem. Self-respect, on the other hand, may hold the key to achieving the peace of mind we seek. The two concepts seem very similar but the differences between them are crucial.

To esteem anything is to evaluate it positively and hold it in high regard, but evaluation gets us into trouble because while we sometimes win, we also sometimes lose. To respect something, on the other hand, is to accept it.

I enjoy singing and do so quite frequently. As those within earshot will attest, I'm not very good but I love to sing anyway. During summer parties I frequently sing solo and play the part of the "moving ball," trying to stay just ahead of the music to provide the words for those who don't know the song. I am not saddened by my lack of talent. I accept the way I sing. Because of this acceptance, I am able to sing without being evaluative of myself or concerned with what others think.

The word acceptance suggests to some readers that our culture does indeed deal with this idea of self-respect; after all, don't we have the concept that it is important to accept our limitations? Aren't many of us encouraged "to change the things we can change, accept the things we cannot change and know the difference between the two?" I believe I could learn to sing better, so my acceptance is not based on my limitations. Nor is it based on resignation, since I am not resigned to the belief that I cannot sing well and am not committed to any particular belief about my voice in the future.

The person with self-respect simply likes her- or himself. This self-respect is not contingent on success because there are always failures to contend with. Neither is it a result of comparing ourselves with others because there is always someone better. These are tactics usually employed to increase self-esteem. Self-respect, however, is a given. We simply like ourselves or we don't. With self-respect, we like ourselves because of who we are and not because of what we can or cannot do.

Consider an interesting test of self-respect. If someone compliments us, what is our reaction? If we are very pleased, it would suggest a certain amount of uncertainty about our skill. Imagine that somebody whose opinion we respect told us that we were great at spelling three-letter words, or that our pronunciation of vowels was wonderful. Chances are we would not be moved. We know we can do it in the first case, and we don't care in the second. Because we were not evaluating ourselves, the compliment was unimportant. The more instances in which we don't "take the compliment," the less vulnerable we become to evaluation and insult.

My recent research, with Judith White and Johnny Walsch at Harvard University, points to the advantages of self-respect. Compared to those with high self-esteem who are still caught in an evaluative framework, those with self-respect are less prone to blame, guilt, regret, lies, secrets and stress.

Many people worry whether there is life after death. Just think about it: If we gave up self-evaluation, we could have more life before death.

Adapted by Ph.D.

Ellen J. Langer, a professor of psychology at Harvard University, is author of The Power of Mindful Learning (Perseus, 1997) and Mindfulness (Perseus, 1989).

Psychology Today Magazine, Nov/Dec 99
Last Reviewed 18 Aug 2005
Article ID: 369

Mrs. W

Last edited by MrsWondering; 01/14/09 03:16 PM. Reason: to post the whole article here...

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 432 guests, and 66 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation