Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 52 1 2 3 4 51 52
M
M
Zenwolf, it is better to VISIT the OM in person so he can put a name to a face.

But, your most POWERFUL WEAPON is exposure. Exposure to her parents, his parents, your parents, other key family members. That is your BEST weapon against an affair. Affairs thrive on secrecy so exposure ruins the fantasy aspect. It is like bringing in a crowd of onlookers into the crack house to watch the crack heads get high. It ruins the high! Being bad is no fun when everyone is watching.

Originally Posted by Dr. Willard Harley, clinical psychologist and founder of Marriage Builders
"I'm in the process of rewriting "Surviving an Affair" to add information about plan B. Some of the main points are as follows:

Whether in plan A or B, the world should know about your husband's affair. All of your relatives, your friends, your children, and the licensing board for your husband's lover. In some states a licensing board will revoke a license if a counselor is having an affair with a married person, client or not. This is because it's well known that affairs hurt families, especially children. And counselors know better than to have an affair.

The reason for the wide exposure is not to hurt the unfaithful spouse, but rather to end the fantasy. Your husband's secret second life made his affair possible, and the more you can to to make it public, the easier it is for him to see the damage he's doing. Keeping it secret does damage, but few know about it. Making it public helps everyone, including the unfaithful spouse and lover, see the affair for what it really is.

<snip unrelated>

When I first started recommending openness about an affair, I wasn't sure what would happen. But I did it because I knew it was the right thing to do. Now I know that for most couples it marks the beginning of recovery."

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
S
Originally Posted by ZenWolf
Dang, you folks are quick!

I already sent the email. I'll try to remember to check here before more communications like that.

I have by FAR the most amazing 3 year old boy and 4 year old girl on the planet. They have no idea what's going on. So far, Mommy and Daddy are 'working' a lot.

She has a 13 year old son from her last marriage. I just got in touch with his father to talk about this with him.

The truly scary thing is that this is history repeating itself. I met my wife at the end of her marriage. Turns out, I helped her end it. Our first couple dates I didn't know she was married. Then it came out and she insisted that they were separated and the marriage was dead, blah blah (EXACTLY what she tells the OM!). I was hooked at that point so I ignored the brain and dove in head first. Now I'm on the other end. I owe that man an apology. I never viewed it as an affair until now.

Our relationship was pretty rocky at first because I was scared to death of what I was getting into and she was insanely needy. We eventually grew to have a very strong relationship with good communication. I think we beat the odds for affair relationships.

Anyway, none of this bodes well for me in this. I'm a pretty centered, compassionate person, but if this isn't the worst case of karmic revenge, I don't know what is. It also doesn't speak well for her ability to deal with unhappiness in her life, which I think is at the core of this.

You better batten down the hatches. I predict rough weather ahead.

C
C
Zen

My WW told me the day our M was over in HER eyes!! This was way before i found out about the A. Coulda fooled me. Wayward spouses come up with some wierd stuff.....water off your back my man.

Me 35
W 31
D12
D9
Exposure day 12/29/08 (Ws 32nd bday)
I wanted to fix marriage June 1st
A found out June 11th
W came home August 18th till the end
BS papers from her Oct 2nd
Real papers from me Oct 17th
Z
ZenWolf Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
OK, here's a draft of the letter:

Dude:
I’m writing this letter to inform you of my marriage to (wife). I am deeply in love with my wife, and I have every intention of spending the rest of our lives together. We have a date at the bottom of a volcano in about 45 years. She and I share a bond that has grown through intense intimacy, physical and emotional, sharing extreme hardships and the joy and agony of creating two beautiful children together. I do not feel connected to any other human like I feel connected to my wife. We have shared the most beautiful moments of our lives together.

Becky’s disillusion with our life together was not made known to me until fairly recently. I am truly sorry for any part of that disillusionment that I have contributed to. I will do everything in my power to help her get through these feelings and to remember how special our life together is. I will make every effort to make her happy and to remove any behavior or dynamic which causes unhappiness. She is everything to me, and I will not just let this happen while I sit idly by. You need to know how much we love each other.

Since I found out about the affair, Becky has expressed doubts that we can reconnect and regain what we have had. For me it is not lost, so I know I can do my part. She has continually expressed a desire to reconcile with me, even as your affair continues. She has told me that she loves me, not just platonically. She has told me that I know her better than anyone else, and asked me to help her through an anxiety attack last week. She bought me an incredibly thoughtful and reconciliatory birthday gift last week.

This letter is not an attempt at manipulating or controlling anyone. I think you need to know that there is a deeply hurting human being and two of the most precious little children on this earth who stand to lose a great deal if your affair continues. These children face the possibility of losing their childhood in a loving nurturing family. They face the possibility of going through much of the misery that (wife) and I faced as children. This is all avoidable. I will not just let this happen.

I will not threaten you or pursue any inappropriate means to end this. I am asking you to examine what you may already know: You are helping to destroy a marriage that is very much still alive and family that has yet to face the dysfunction it is now confronted with. It is cowardly and unhealthy to continue this affair.

-ZenWolf

M
M
Zen, do we have to break your fingers, my friend!??

Stop with the letters already and go FACE THE MAN!! [leave your pistol in the car]

What your letter BROADCASTS is this: I am a touchy feely guy who will not lift a finger to stop you from destroying my marriage. I am going to appeal to a sense of decency THAT DOES NOT EXIST. In other words, you are OPENLY telling him he can do what he wants to you and your kids!

You are bringing a squirt gun to a GUN FIGHT! crazy

You don't even want to broadcast that kind of WEAKNESS to such a man! crazy

And it is none of his damn business about personal details about your marriage OR YOUR FEELINGS! The OM does not give a rats [censored] about your feelings. Don't share your most personal feelings with an interloper whose goal is the destruction of your marriage. That is to throw pearls to swine. All he needs to know is this:

1. your WW is married and has 2 little children

2. I will fight for my marriage and will drag your [censored] into court in any potential legal proceedings to testify under oath about your affair with a married woman. I will not allow you to be around my children

3. there is no future for you in her family - you would be perpetually hated for breaking up this family

4. what are your intentions with my wife?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

Z
ZenWolf Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Jesus, you're rough.

I'm adding this too:

"During your affair, we have made love passionately many times."

C
C
Jesus, you're rough.

I'm adding this too:

Even I made love to my W Zen.

Mel can be rough Zen....but she is rite!!

Mel...can you copy paste my family letters for him??

OM is not gonna read a letter Zen....he doesn't care. His parents/family...that's different!!

Last edited by Carp54; 02/01/09 01:29 PM.

Me 35
W 31
D12
D9
A found out June 11th
Z
ZenWolf Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
The main purpose of this letter is to undermine what I know she has told him. I get occassional feedback from his friends about what he's hearing from her.

I'll have to think about confronting him in person. Not my usual style, but this is about changing your usual style, isn't it?

Thanks for the help everyone.

Z
ZenWolf Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
I'll look into telling his family and friends... This is gonna get interesting.

M
M
Zen, the reason I am ROUGH is because AFFAIRS are rough! Your marriage and family are under assault. You cannot REASON with a terrorist. A terrorist does not give a hoot about your feelings or respond to appeals to decency. To do so only broadcasts a WEAKNESS that he will exploit. He responds to your FIST. [symbolically!] He will respond to STRENGTH.

The main purpose of this letter is to undermine what I know she has told him. I get occassional feedback from his friends about what he's hearing from her.

That is a good goal! But that needs to be done IN PERSON. And that needs to be done without sharing your feelings and your history with him. That pig has no right to any of that information. All he needs to know are some pertinent facts and that HELL IS COMING HIS WAY.

I'll have to think about confronting him in person. Not my usual style, but this is about changing your usual style, isn't it?

This is about choosing to stand up for your marriage and your childrens family, Zen. Is that your style? Is it your style to fight for your family? Or is it your style to try and negotiate with a terrorist to give him something to laugh about?

Exposure 101

M
M

This is good information. you are ignoring my posts about exposure, Zen. Why?

Exposure 101

S
S
Originally Posted by MelodyLane

This is good information. you are ignoring my posts about exposure, Zen. Why?

Zen,

Mel is right. He will not even read your letter unless it's to get a good laugh and maybe show it to your WW so he can say you don't have the guts to face him, man-to-man.

OM are cowards. Don't kick his butt or threaten to. Just come right out and tell him your WW is married and ask him what his intentions are. Does he intend to marry her?

I was 800 miles away so I couldn't face to face but I wasn't gonna wait another day. I called his work, cell and home multiple times and was leaving messages until he finally called me back. I said pretty much what Mel says to say. You gotta scare this dude off and some letter ain't gonna do it. Let him know what IS going to happen if he doesn't back off. He will because he is a coward POS.

Then your WW will rage at you for ruining everything, but will have to live with the fact that she didn't mean enough to him to fight for her.

It really got to my WW when i told her that I talked to him and he denied the whole thing, and then said he had no intention of marrying her and never did and that he didn't want anymore trouble. She still raged, but that really burst her bubble and her ego.

SWW

Last edited by sickwithworry; 02/01/09 02:09 PM.
Z
ZenWolf Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
I am engaging in the exposure as we speak. I just updated her parents and am looking for ways to contact his people. I've told her ex who will tell her son. I've told the remaining friends who don't know about it.

Alright, I'm going after him. I'll see if I can meet him.

I
I
Dang, you folks are quick!

The truly scary thing is that this is history repeating itself. I met my wife at the end of her marriage. Turns out, I helped her end it. Our first couple dates I didn't know she was married. Then it came out and she insisted that they were separated and the marriage was dead, blah blah (EXACTLY what she tells the OM!). I was hooked at that point so I ignored the brain and dove in head first. Now I'm on the other end. I owe that man an apology. I never viewed it as an affair until now.

Our relationship was pretty rocky at first because I was scared to death of what I was getting into and she was insanely needy. We eventually grew to have a very strong relationship with good communication. I think we beat the odds for affair relationships.

Wow after reading this I got to say history is repeating itself. My advice to you is to stop being Mr. Nice Guy and see a lawyer and know your rights.

Your wife is doing exactly what she did to her first marriage and you were the OM. She is doing the same thing to you and she knows she can just move on with another guy and her life will continue and it will be great...at least for a while.

If your wife is not willing right away to work on the marriage then in my opinion they are not worth having as a wife. Others feel different but if you allow a woman to cheat on you she has no incentive to stop.

My life experience has been when I started making my now XW life difficult she changed and wanted to save our marriage. I hurt my ex by moving on without her and finding someone else. If I would have just let her continue sleeping with another guy she would have and made my life heck.

In your case you are in worse shape. Your wife has done this in the past. It is a pattern and she probably will not change. If she has had 2 affairs in her life what makes you think she will not have number 3?

Anyway, none of this bodes well for me in this. I'm a pretty centered, compassionate person, but if this isn't the worst case of karmic revenge, I don't know what is. It also doesn't speak well for her ability to deal with unhappiness in her life, which I think is at the core of this.

You get it here! You are in for an unhappy life if you allow her to cheat and then beg her to stay. If she is not willing to stop what she is doing and work on things you had better make sure she does not destroy everything you hold dear.

Financial considerations and your children need protecting. You have told her that you want to stay married then fine. But if she still cheats on you then you need to see a lawyer and get your ducks in a row. If you do not you will be out of your house without your children.

When I want on offense and my ex knew I was not a doormat she knew she could lose me and she did not want that. I protected myself by being aggressive and not being a doormat.

If she has done this in the past and cheated on her first husband and is doing this to you it is not a just a woman who is confused. It is a woman who makes a pattern out of this and chances are you are on your way out.

Just make sure you protect yourself. I have seen this type of woman before and she destroyed my Dad. Don't put your head in the sand and just understand you need to protect yourself.

S
S
I am engaging in the exposure as we speak. I just updated her parents and am looking for ways to contact his people. I've told her ex who will tell her son. I've told the remaining friends who don't know about it.

Alright, I'm going after him. I'll see if I can meet him.

Good, because this:

Was not gonna do it...

Let us know how it goes, and keep your cool.

Z
ZenWolf Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
I'm going to see if I can confront the Dude this afternoon. I think it's quite likely he's at the pub where my wife is working today for the Superbowl.

Here goes the sh*t storm of the century!

Z
ZenWolf Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
I'm thinking of sending photos of this guy to my wife's friends and family. He's a loser. Does this sound good or bad?

R
R
I'm thinking of sending photos of this guy to my wife's friends and family. He's a loser. Does this sound good or bad?

Yes Good

but then I am a scorched earth type. I will do anything to protect my wife and family from an OM predator.

Good idea to confront OM and OMGF in a pub -

Last edited by rwinger; 02/01/09 05:57 PM.

Me:52
W: 52
Married: 32 yrs
2 Sons (29 & 23)
1 Dtr (20)
1 GDtr (2.5) precious little girl
C
C
Originally Posted by rwinger

Yes Good

but then I am a scorched earth type. I will do anything to protect my wife and family from an OM predator.

Good idea to confront OM and OMGF in a pub -

Bring a friend.

Me 35
W 31
D12
D9
A found out June 11th
R
R
Yeah, bring a friend so your thread doesnt suddenly end like marty's

BH-me 32
WW-27
Married 5 yrs. together for 8
D2
D7
D-Day:11/10
EA for a week went PA and WW immediately left home leaving everything behind.
Page 2 of 52 1 2 3 4 51 52

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 827 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation