Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 44 of 48 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 47 48
K
K
I'd like to take the time to remind you that there is NO PLAN C in MB.

Get someone else to tell him that you are sticking to the agreed upon visitation.

Based on past performance, I don't think you can relay this information to him, as you have seen before that if you see him face-to-face you will relent and give him what he wants to the detriment of your children.

Get an intermediary NOW.

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
OP Offline
Originally Posted by bestfriend439
The best option is for you both to get healthy and that means both of you learing similar things. If the MB concepts are not quite a fit because of the abuse, maybe learning about abuse, power and control and the like are probably the best place to start.
Don't worry about what work he's getting done or waiting on a call from a men's program, call the woman's shelter; get some information about the laws in your area and find a support group and start taking steps as though your WH is an (almost) ax murderer and you need to learn more to protect you and your kids.

I know that sounds dramatic, but (and maybe this is a 2x4), but although there are other women here with screwed up husbands, an abusive husband is a different animal and they only function if they have a partner who can do that particular dance. NOTHING will change until you change and that doesn't mean the Forum; that doesn't mean praying more (although that's good), and it doesn't mean adjusting infedelity recovery to your particular situation.

It means setting limits with him that are legal and not grey and not completely up to you to manage. Right now, you can not protect yourself from him. You need help doing that.

It absolutely sucks that you are where you are, but the single most scary thing to me is your chipper posts on your thread and others and that is what people are responding to. Your situation sucks but it is dire. Contact the supports in your area; have a clear plan; have a counselor who knows something about DV (not necessarily infidelity, because that is NOT THE PRIMARY ISSUE!!!) and work your plan.

2M2L, your situation scares me and I think it scares others and I think I just figured out that it scares me, because you don't seem to be alarmed. Please think about what I am saying. This is not from my experience as an abused wife, but from working with countless families in treatment for DV. I was always scared when I would sound the alarm from experience and be met with, "yea, but he..." and I think there has been some here.

There is no reason you cannot plan b an abusive partner, but yes, you'd better have a plan. So, it concerns me that you are in a grey area because the MB plan doesn't quite fit your situation, but your situation is different.

Please, find support (including the legal supports) in your area and post and let us know how it's going.
As much as I need support, you would do me a world of good to know that you are safe and on a good plan across the globe more than to have a post from you. You are in a very serious situation and I think we all need to see that you get that in your action. Your WH has no rights (morally) to the children if he is not a safe person. Legally, I don't know, but please stop thinking that you are doing the kids a favor by keeping him in his life in this sick state.

2M2L, I am not trying to bust your chops or disregard all that you have tried to do these many years, but really, hon, progress in your case is going to look very different and it will likely include 0 contact with WH for awhile. Please let go of your current addiction to him!

hug hug hug hug hug hug
I mean every one of those and I will be thinking about you. Action, my dear, not positive thought, is needed here. Remember what I posted earlier about the legions of men I had worked with who said that they never would have taken steps to get healthy unless they were charged with domestic violence. Sometimes it takes folks a huge consequence to 'get it,' please consider and please accept the concern, advice and hugs with all the affection they are sent with.

BF439

KR - BF had it right here and no plan A or plan B will work in my situation.

I called WIRE and they have given me numbers of councellors in my area etc. There is a long way to go but what I did and said to WH was correct.

He now knows that I have set a boundary for visitation and that my time outside of "our" time is mine. It is a huge leap forward for me to not go back on my word.

I have spoken with WH since and he has not asked or pushed anything about tonight. He knows that I have not done anything wrong and he is respecting my boundary.

KR - I have tried an IM but it didn't work out at that stage. I would like to get there again but I am actually really proud of myself for standing up to my controlling WH. It is important that he sees me as assertive and strong instead of being able to push me around as someone he knows as submissive. An IM will cut the crap from my ears, but it wont show me in a different light, it will just be someone to hide behind and I will look more weak.

The WIRE group suggested a mediator/third party to arrange visitation so that he cannot dominate discussions. Again, I have set the visitation schedule and he agreed and so far he has only attempted to breach it, not gone through with it.

This is just the beginning, but I will get it right.

Last edited by 2much2lose; 02/19/09 10:30 PM. Reason: added a bit

BS 32 (1st marriage), WH 38 (2nd marriage), DD 3, DS 1
Married Aug 2002, EA/PA 2005, NC mid 2005
EA Jun 2008, Plan A, 1 Aug 2008, WH moved out 14 Sep 08, D-Day 14 Sep 08, Moved home 2 Nov 08, moved out 30 Nov 08
Plan B, 2 Dec 08, broken 5, 11, 15 & 17 Dec 08
Current Status: Contact for visitation, children and finances.
Embarking on a new plan to Let go and Let God and to not settle for less than I deserve!
K
K
My apologies, I should have clarified.

Do not say Plan C. Do not say Plan anything.

Using an IM would be perfect. He cannot manipulate you through an IM. That would be the best possible thing for you right now.

That does not show you as weak.

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

OP Offline
Not to my WH...

He views access to me as his control and whilst he has access, (even without control) he is calm and rational about 70-90% of the time.

Without access, he is calm and rational about 7-9% of the time.

I have called the police each time after 3 days NC and contact through an IM. Usually when he is banging the door down and barging through the house.

I don't want to endanger my family again.

EA Jun 2008, Plan A, 1 Aug 2008, WH moved out 14 Sep 08, D-Day 14 Sep 08, Moved home 2 Nov 08, moved out 30 Nov 08
Embarking on a new plan to Let go and Let God and to not settle for less than I deserve!
C
C
Originally Posted by 2much2lose
I don't want to endanger my family again.
Then have his sorry a$$ hauled into jail for breaking and entering! WTH!

It's important that I keep things mellow.
Why? Seriously. Why? What possible reason can you give for that? Because all that means is that you will have to KEEP making things mellow for him, to keep him from being mad at you, for the rest of your life.

Is that a marriage? No. It's an abusive, controlling, demanding, self-absorbed man who keeps his wife around (and women in the wings) because it suits him.

meh

K
K
That's why you change the locks on the doors. No cop in his right mind would dare question a battered woman--because that is what you are--changing the locks on her door.

IMs are lifesavers and so are changed locks.

And if he breaks in you call the cops.

M
M
You need to understand more about the modus vivendi of his abuse, The way it works is very subtle and devious .For instance today he threw a tantrum ostensibly because he wanted access to the children when you had made other arrangements.

The tantrum was actually about the fact that he had been unable to have his own way regarding the car deal. it would have been counterproductive for him to have a hissy fit in front of the buyers and he probably played Mr Nice Guy with them ,

He then released his frustration on you by finding some other issue which he knew full well would upset you, Thus offloading his anger and frustration onto you, In effect he was punishing you for allowing such a thing to occur. In other words he tried to make you responsible for something over which you had absolutely no control Totally unfair, irrational and immature.

This routine was a favourite trick of my H and I used to fall for it and react every time.Often they time it to surprise you and the tantrum comes out of the blue when you least expect it or it comes when you are tired and emotional about some problem of your own

.Eventually I confronted my H when he tried the same trick for the millionth time.I said" its not about XYZ its more likely about something that went wrong at work" .He seemed to stop in his tracks and there was a brief flicker of realisation which passed across his face I think there was a faint sign that he might be getting it

I would thoroughly recommend a book called Stalking the Soul by Marie- France Hirigoyen she is a victimologist working in France it is amazing how similar the behaviours are regardless of difference in culture

GOOD LUCK think you are starting to get it
Whereas I think he doesnt get it that he doesnt get it
He has a very long way to go

myopia #2218575 02/22/09 08:28 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by myopia
GOOD LUCK think you are starting to get it
Whereas I think he doesnt get it that he doesnt get it
He has a very long way to go

Thanks Myopia - your post was insightful and spot on.

He kept up with the tantrum over the weekend too.

Friday night, my family came over and we had an awesome night.

Kids called WH to say goodnight an hour after he was due to ring them.

Saturday he arrived as scheduled at 11:30am. Did not come in to house to collect us, we went into garage and went to swimming.

I felt afraid sitting next to him, not knowing where his mood would take him.

He was ok with the kids, but cold towards me.

Went swimming and left, all ok. Went to friends birthday party at their house at 3pm.

Stopped in and picked up takeaway coffee on the way.

Sat on opposite sides of the circle but had an awesome day. Kids absolutely loved it and WH and I had a few old time moments when we shared stories and completed our own bits and laughed etc.

Went all day, got home with sleeping kids at 9pm. He asked if I was leaving, I said yes and went to mum and dad's and turned my phone off. He tried to argue with me as I was leaving and told me I had sent him a horrible heartless message on Friday...

"We are separated so I made plans on a night when you didn't have arrangements with the kids. You could have asked me anytime but you waited until I said I had plans and then got mad. We're not waiting for you to have spare time to spend with us. That's not fair at all. The kids deserve a schedule too."

I know I was ok until the bit about spending spare time with us. But, it's true. I can't help it if it's not working out with OW and he now has Friday's free.

I didn't give him an argument. I calmly said that I was sorry if my message offended him and if I had been disrespectful at all. Good night.

K
K
There you go again apologizing for his PERCEPTION of what you said.

You MUST get out of that habit!

2much2lose #2218596 02/22/09 08:59 PM
OP Offline
Anyway, I went home at 9am on Sunday morning and got the kids ready for the birthday party at 11:30am. I asked him what his plans were and he said he'd wait to spend time with the kids.

He asks me where I spent the night. My IC tells me it’s about him controlling me and not to give as much info so I calmly and quietly say, why is that?

He didn’t say anything to me after that.

He put the kids in the car and was grumpy at me still.

I didn't give him an argument then either.

I met a lady at the party who teaches at the kids daycare centre. I haven't ever spoken to her apart from pleasantries but her WH had a A one year ago, still contact, she sold house, moved into a rental with kids and now he has moved back in with her because he can't afford it. I gave her the MB website details and will catch up with her soon and offer support where I can. Her self esteem is really low and she is in the cycle of hate and despair.

We got home and I put DS to bed and DD played for a bit. WH wanted to watch Fireproof, said he had heard a great review and wanted to see it. I put it on and a H and W are arguing and he is demanding respect and she says if you want respect then start giving me some etc. She asks out of the marriage. They all complain to their friends and H talks to his dad. His dad says marriage takes hard work and your mum and I got it right. We turned to the Lord and did x for 40 days and it changed our life and will you do x and not make a decision for 40 days<

WH asked me to turn it off. Apparently it was not the movie he had hoped for.

Thank you God!!! You work in mysterious ways pray

So, WH becomes very sullen and gets on his laptop. Kids are up, I make pizza and WH eats too. But is grumpy still.

I say I'm taking kids for a walk to feed the ducks. DD asks WH to come. He said no, your mum is going with you. I say I can stay home so he bolts up and takes them out for 40 minutes.

I read a funny book.

They come home.

LOL - WH is not happy with me laughing out loud, at a book!

He asks DD to take him the book. Smirks and puts it down. It's called How To Be Good and he briefly read the cover. Hehe.

He puts the D papers on the bench and says i don't know what you want me to do with them. I said I don't want a D, I signed them because you asked for them.

Anyway, I get kids ready for bed. WH has last cuddles and I tuck them in. He just sits on the couch mad but I just float about happily and purposefully.

I come out and clean the kitchen. He puts his shoes on and sits back down. I sit down after about 5 minutes and he says "I'm going to go because the kids are in bed now". I say ok.

He gets his stuff, I say thanks for coming to see the kids, he says "don't thank me, they're my kids, you can't tell me what to do or when to see them".

I say nothing.

He leaves.

Comes back, says he will get the BMW on Wed. I say ok.

He leaves.

He comes back, but only to the garage. I panic and feel scared - get my phone out ready to call the neighbour and stay in the lounge out of the way. Turns out he just swaps cars and leaves.

I turn off my phone.

He sends 3 messages over 1 hour:

"I read your message again and then it dawned on me that you were driving my car. Why should I do you any favours when you talk to me with your acid tongue. You’re a complete and utter b-i-t-c-h BS and have always treated me like a bad child since I married you. You’ve got the papers now. Lodge them Devil".

“A good indication of how completely f-ed up you are is your answer to my question today “where’d you stay last night” because it crossed my mind that you slept in the car and I was worried. “Why is that” you said. Stupid b-i-t-c-h that you are along with insensitive. PS. I see that you still haven’t followed your counselors advice and made it clear what you wanted. Yet you can preach to me about my issues, You’ll go to Hell for your treatment of me”.

“I don’t want you coming to my work unannounced anymore and I don’t want you coming to my Expo. I want to see my kids on Tuesday nights after work, Thursday nights after work and pick them up for Saturday swimming and then sleep over until they have had their dinner on Sunday’s. This is for every week starting this one unless I am booked to work.”

2much2lose #2218603 02/22/09 09:08 PM
P
P
He sends 3 messages over 1 hour:

"I read your message again and then it dawned on me that you were driving my car. Why should I do you any favours when you talk to me with your acid tongue. You’re a complete and utter b-i-t-c-h BS and have always treated me like a bad child since I married you. You’ve got the papers now. Lodge them Devil".

“A good indication of how completely f-ed up you are is your answer to my question today “where’d you stay last night” because it crossed my mind that you slept in the car and I was worried. “Why is that” you said. Stupid b-i-t-c-h that you are along with insensitive. PS. I see that you still haven’t followed your counselors advice and made it clear what you wanted. Yet you can preach to me about my issues, You’ll go to Hell for your treatment of me”.

“I don’t want you coming to my work unannounced anymore and I don’t want you coming to my Expo. I want to see my kids on Tuesday nights after work, Thursday nights after work and pick them up for Saturday swimming and then sleep over until they have had their dinner on Sunday’s. This is for every week starting this one unless I am booked to work.”

Are you surprised? I'm not. More of the same. Abuse. That you keep letting him get away with.

I could tell you to get some help from a domestic abuse center and GET THAT EVIL OUT OF YOUR LIFE but you won't.

Guess, we'll just have to wait for the trainwreck.

Sorry if this is harsh, but it's painful watching this.

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists. Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
princessmeggy #2218606 02/22/09 09:10 PM
J
J
I'm with PM-I am so worried about you.

johnstwin-

"I may not know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future." -Martin Luther

Remarried my FXH 25 years to the day of our first M. God is so good-and sometimes so unexpected!

2much2lose #2218618 02/22/09 09:42 PM
OP Offline
I have to leave work.

He's been calling non-stop and abusing me and whoever answers.

Caleld my mum and told her I was a s-l-u-t and a b-i-t-c-h and she hung up.

Abusive text messages to my dad and sister at the moment, could be more.

Called my receptionist to make sure I was here so he could serve divorce papers.

I am scared and I am going to WIRE. A womens help centre.

I am leaving now.

Please pray for me and my kids and my WH.

2much2lose #2218623 02/22/09 09:49 PM
L
L
pray

Recovered marriage, recovering self, life gets better everyday laugh
2much2lose #2218840 02/23/09 11:30 AM
P
P
Originally Posted by 2much2lose
I have to leave work.

He's been calling non-stop and abusing me and whoever answers.

Caleld my mum and told her I was a s-l-u-t and a b-i-t-c-h and she hung up.

Abusive text messages to my dad and sister at the moment, could be more.

Called my receptionist to make sure I was here so he could serve divorce papers.

I am scared and I am going to WIRE. A womens help centre.

I am leaving now.

Please pray for me and my kids and my WH.

Please let us know what's going on...

Praying for you and your family's safety... pray

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists. Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
princessmeggy #2218969 02/23/09 03:03 PM
S
S
pray

Happily married to HerPapaBear

2much2lose #2218980 02/23/09 03:13 PM
C
C
Please let us know if you're ok!

catperson #2219049 02/23/09 04:22 PM
OP Offline
Yes, we're safe. Thank you for your prayers.

I read about the hedging prayer yesterday and have my friends praying it for WH but also as protection for me and kids.

I spoke with my female boss as I was leaving yesterday and she is wonderful and supportive. I am very lucky. She even offered me a place to stay.

She also said if WH continued with his harrassing calls to my work or if he turned up, he would be up against the corporation and they would do what was neccessary...

Actually, he stopped calling at 2pm. My phone had been off but he'd tried all other avenues to contact me, including sending a text message to my sister and father saying I was having a sexual affair whilst still married. It mirrored the messages that he sent on 26.12.08 and I know it was to send me in to a panic.

I took 3 of his calls from work. Each time I was calm and calmly asked him to stop calling/swearing and hung up.

I went to the drop in centre for women in the city and they were understanding but completely useless to me. I grabbed brochures on my way out and burst in to tears. Reaching out for help is so hard, but not getting it is like a slap in the face.

I called a number from the brochures and spoke with Helen. She was amazing and spent over 45 minutes with me listening and offering advice. She said she could hear the fear in my voice and understood why I felt that way.

She said WH sounds very scared and afraid and lost and confused and he is getting desperate. She said from her perspective, his challenge for me to get an intervention order because he's not afraid of jail is just intimidation and he's actually very afraid of it. She could tell I wasn't ready for that step yet, but I will go to a womens law group on Thursday morning (they open once a week) for support and advice.

He spoke with the kids last night and waited to speak with me, even when DD told him I was on the other phone. I walked out of the room with it to my ear.

Anyway, I took the phone. He told me that he doesn't like my games of not talking with him. He said "someone" told him to stop so he did. He has to wait until May for his anger management group so he'll probably keep getting angry at me until then because he can't stop it.

He said I will say this once and then go because I can't explain - I love you to pieces but I also hate you for so much and can't seem to control my temper. I know I need help but I just don't know what to do.

He also tried to add me as a friend on Myspace and Facebook. He also asked me to be his promo-girl next week, M-F from 12-4 to sell pianos etc. ??????

I told him that I am afraid of him and his anger and we cannot have a friendship / or even think about a relationship until he gets help.

He said tell the kids I love them and hung up.

He's coming to see them tonight and I suggested the park across the road. I will not be alone with him or let him come in to the house.

I'm confused but I feel so glad that I did not fall for any of his threats or intimidation and call him and beg him to stop or call his family. Usually I crumble and cry and beg, which he loves.

I am really proud that to him, I was unaffected. He thankfully will never know about the bucket-loads of tears I cried or the group of my colleagues that stood around me and sheltered me from the calls or Helen or my support on MB.

I want you all to know that I am getting stronger. My boundaries with WH are still flimsy fences, but I'm replacing them with one brick at a time.

I did call my mum and my sister last night to fill them in on how I was but I have kept my mobile switched off. I have meetings with clients this morning so it will stay off so that he can't get in, but this headache is killing me. I went to bed at 9pm but I still want more sleep and rest.

Thank you for checking in on me.

2much2lose #2219174 02/23/09 09:57 PM
OP Offline
WH and I talked today.

He admitted that he has never been shown unconditional love and never had unconditional love from his parents or brothers.

That goes hand in hand with being brought up by a narccisitic mother.

Anyway, he said he wants to be married and save our marriage for the children and give them what he never had but said he would not blame me if I wanted to divorce and end everything here.

I told him I would only be willing to work on the marriage once he had taken the anger management course and other counselling and was able to stop his anger towards me. He said he doesn't know how to stop the anger but he had called the centres again today and was going to check out the web resources tonight.

Did he sound sincere? Yes.

I am not wearing rose-coloured glasses and I have the Lord on my side because we are separated and I can turn off the phone, lock the doors and feel safe. I am blessed to be in this situation compared to so many other abused women who live with it daily/hourly.

He said he wants to watch the rest of Fireproof because he will do whatever they suggest to save the marriage. I have looked at the website for Fireproof and it's about giving your life over to God and learning to love your partner and respect your partner.

It's an amazing website with blogs and journals and your church can buy a group study kit etc. It's remarkable and it sounds like it really is saving marriages all over the world.

I know that God did lead my WH to this movie. WH denies The Lord in his life and when he stopped going to church in 2004, he had his first A. WH has been to church less than 10 times since then and two of those were the kids Christening's.

I am more than happy for him to watch the movie and have hope. I am thankful that God is leading him in the 'hope' direction rather than down the 'nothing left so who cares...damage...destruction path'.

The cycle of his anger was a lot shorter this time. HE seemed to realise HE was getting out of control and then HE stopped. I don't know why he stopped but he did. I am hopeful that he will get help and that he is at the point where he wants to make a change in his life. He certainly recognises that it is more than me just annoying him. Finally.

He told me that if it was not for the kids, he could have taken himself out by now but he doesn't want to leave them with that memory of him. I know this is true.

It's all so confusing and my headache is so consuming that I can't think straight. I had a client meeting today and I was mincing my words and making it worse. Thankfully the client was understanding and didn't comment. They will also end up taking a package soon so that will be great and so necessary for my job.

I'm rambling. Sorry.

Like I have always maintainted, I want my children to have a healthy relationship with their dad and I hope that he will get help and make this a reality. If he can get healthy, I will think about my future with him. If not, I will continue on my own path where I know I am more than ok without a man in my life.

I don't want one in my life right now. I don't need one dance2

2much2lose #2219219 02/24/09 01:22 AM
K
K

2M2L...

Please...

I don't want to read about you in the obituary column.

How many times now has he "sounded" sincere? And how many times has he proven himself not to be?

You'd think after this many turns on the merry-go-round you'd be dizzy. :crosseyedcrazy:

I'm begging you. Not for your sake (because you don't seem to care about your own welfare) but for the sake of your children.

More than likely they will grow up to be abused in a relationship because mommy has shown them that it is "normal" and "okay" to be abused.

The younger one may not notice this right now, but the elder one surely will.

Page 44 of 48 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 343 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation