Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
OP Offline
B
Or is it just popular in the land of fruits and nuts?

R
R
We are, and uh, we own cheeseheads. 'Nuff said about that. <grin>

Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. ~Benjamin Franklin~
R
R
I will be. smile

Me/WS 32
H 32
M 6 years, together 12
D-Day 3/8/09
L
L
It was last night, and I didnt, only had one light on for flips sake

Recovered marriage, recovering self, life gets better everyday laugh
J
J
I'm planning to, if I don't forget. We've still got another couple hours I think. It's at 8:30 pm local time, right?

Is it just lights, or everything like computers too? smile Do you turn off just electricity, or do you have to turn off gas stuff as well? DH is cooking BBQ ribs on the gas grill outside. (Someone was over here a few days ago and I got to brag on DH's BBQ skills. The guy remarked how DH's grill is a "real man's grill." I could practically see DH swell up with pride. smile ) Anyway, do we have to turn the grill off as well, if they aren't done yet?

LOL I guess if you're doing it *right now* you prolly won't answer that.

me - 47 tired
H - 39 cool
married 2001
DS 8a think
DS 8b :crosseyedcrazy:
(Why is DS7b now a blockhead???)
(Ack! Now he's not even a blockhead, just a word! That's no fun!)
L
L
hi Jayne smile

Over here it was just advertised as 'turn off your lights'

but I left one on so I could read. Flick has candle issues being a fireman and all that laugh

LOL at 'a real mans grill' and DH's reactions. I must remember that one, a good 'man' complement laugh laugh

Recovered marriage, recovering self, life gets better everyday laugh
J
J
Ah yes, this grill. DH insisted he didn't want to bring our grill when we moved, even though I thought it was a pretty nice one. In our new house, there's even a built-in gas line on the deck, for a gas grill. So you don't even have to buy those canisters. Our indoor stove and oven is also gas, and the heater, and the garage heater, and I think the hot water heater. Oh, also the fireplace! So if all we have to do is turn off the lights, we can still stay warm, take a hot bath, cook and bake, and possibly even read by the fireplace! EarthHour, here we come!!!!!!!

So about this grill - it's one of the several-thousand-dollar items we planned on buying for the new house. There was a special burner that he had to special-order that only got in a week ago, so up to now he's been suffering and limping along with only a double-decker new grill with rotiserrie, poor dear.

The other large item was to be a hot tub for me. But where we want to put it requires adding on to the deck, which is hard to do in the winter with snow... plus I would prefer to save up ahead of time for it.

So instead DH bought an ATV... with a snowplow attachment, and I gotta admit it was necessary, not a luxury item. smile

So instead I got a dog. hurray Less expensive than a deck addition and hot tub, but more fun things to do!

me - 47 tired
H - 39 cool
married 2001
DS 8a think
DS 8b :crosseyedcrazy:
(Why is DS7b now a blockhead???)
(Ack! Now he's not even a blockhead, just a word! That's no fun!)
T
T
Ooh--it's almost 8:30 PST. Glad to have the reminder...I've gotta go and turn on a bunch more lights.

tl

B
B
:twobyfour: SURE I WILL DO EARTHHOUR!!!WE WILL ALL HAVE A BANGING GOOD TIME TOO! :twobyfour: :twobyfour:

B
B
Originally Posted by thndrnltng
Ooh--it's almost 8:30 PST. Glad to have the reminder...I've gotta go and turn on a bunch more lights.

tl

Yeah - I fired up the home theatre and a few more computers.

Me: 56 (FBS) Wife: 55 (FWW)
D-Day August 2005
Married 11/1982 3 Sons 27,25,23
Empty Nesters.
Fully Recovered.
A
A
never heard of it over here. confused

we turn out lights because the power bills are so high. faint

Life may feel as if you are constantly getting kicked on a daily basis, living is about picking yourself up each day and going on and on and on regardless.

M
M
personally, I am an AMBIENCE kinda gal so I need lots and lots of ACCENT LAMPS to get the proper MOOD going. But I will commit to turning off the ceiling fan in the #3 guest room tonight! smile

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

B
B
ohhhhhhhh that reminds me - I need to turn the A/C on as well.

Thanks Mel!

Me: 56 (FBS) Wife: 55 (FWW)
D-Day August 2005
Married 11/1982 3 Sons 27,25,23
Empty Nesters.
Fully Recovered.
C
C
I was gone from the house during EARTH HOUR....and bad thunderstorms were forecast so I turned off my electric heatpump. Unplugged the computer stuff. Unplugged the audio/visual stuff. And, left some lights on for the dog....then I went to movie night at church....a chick flick.....

H
H
I turned out the lights since I was not home. Heard WS had no lights there -- they have been out totally in his brain since June.

Me 55, XWH 53, M 22 years
D17, D30
alien replaces my husband "I'm not happy" -7/08
Discover OW-8/08 (his direct report and I work there also)
H moves out 10/1/08, confront Ow 10/28/08
Plan B 1/09
D final 12/09

Quote: "First thing you do is pray; when there is nothing else to do, continue to pray."
K
K
BigK, I'm interested. Why are you so against doing something that shows you care about the earth? Even if it's only a token gesture.

I really care about what we've done to our wonderful planet in the last 100 years. We've stuffed it up. I'm not talking about climate change, I'm talking about ruining animal's habitats, filling the atmosphere with smog and car fumes, destroying forests and poisoning waterways.

I think it was a really nice idea for the whole world to give some thought to our lovely planet.

T
T
it's only a token gesture

That's a very concise stating of the reason right there, Jen. It's only a token. A nothing. An insignificance that, substantively, accomplishes A.B.S.O.L.U.T.E.L.Y. zilch, unless feeling good because "you care about the earth" counts. I loathe "tokens". And not in regard to the environment, either!

tl

P.S.

M
M
Originally Posted by KiwiJ
BigK, I'm interested. Why are you so against doing something that shows you care about the earth? Even if it's only a token gesture.

I have seen no evidence that he "doesn't care about the earth." What is your evidence of this, Jan? Participating in some meaningless token gesture sure does not demonstrate "care." It just makes you FEEL GOOD and that is not important to most people. If I want to feel good, I will call my mommy or go shopping. [or work out!]

I can think of much better ways to spend my time helping mankind than participating in meaningless token gestures. Why not find a way to help others that is more than a "token?"

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

D
D
Originally Posted by aussieswife
never heard of it over here. confused

we turn out lights because the power bills are so high. faint

We do the same in the almost summer (b/c Texas has 4 seasons - almost summer, effing summer, a little summer, and notso summer).

We changed EVERY stinking lightbulb to CFLs when we moved. For our 2,800 sq. ft. home, we have not had an electric bill over $62 yet.

By this time next year, we hope to be selling our unused energy back to the electric company. Wind/solar power, here we come!

I never had to take the Kobayashi Maru test until now. What do you think of my solution?

O'hana means family, and family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten.

My Story

Recovered!
P
P
This event soooooooooooooo reminds me of when I participated in "Hands Across America".

LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,079 guests, and 45 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation