Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
M
GL, like I said, if you expect tolerance, you are going to have to be a little more tolerant and open minded of OTHERS. Tolerance does cut both ways.

Surely, you feel that others have the right to disagree WITH YOU since you disagree and contradict MB principles?

None of us are entitled to not be challenged. So, if you contradict MB principles, you can probably expect other posters to challenge you.

My suggestion, again, would be to try to keep an open mind and rather than trying to fix others, focus on FIXING YOURSELF FIRST. Fix your own marriage FIRST before you try and fix others.

Good luck!

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

G
OP Offline
G
Thank you, ML, you are making my point for me. I didn't say I wasn't tolerant. I can handle a debate, but there is no reason you should just tell me I am just flat out wrong. As I said I expected to be challenged. I expected a debate. And my mind is so open that you can't even glue it closed. I never said no one could disagree with me. But just because my marriage is not perfect that doesn't mean that I might not have good advice for someone else. I don't understand why you would say something like that. I really hope you are able to learn to listen to what is being said. You only seem to tell me how much I don't understand about myself. You only seem to keep making it sound like you are never wrong, as if just because my marriage is not solid I can't possibly have any good advice for anyone. I'm sorry but to me that is just rude. Which is why I used your posts (the two big one's in red) to make my point in my previous point. You have not offered me any advice on how to help my marriage only told me that I don't deserve to try to help anyone else. And that high horse attitude is going to really upset some one some day. I am sorry that I am not allowing myself to back down from you, but I don't see how you are better than I am.

Btw, would you like a potato chip?

S
S
Originally Posted by GoddessLacey

Bwahahaha.....I'm cryin over here lol...the potatoe chip has a special place in my heart....if you didn't know......*sigh* ok I'll shut up now before I am *censored*

M
M
Thank you, ML, you are making my point for me. I didn't say I wasn't tolerant. I can handle a debate, but there is no reason you should just tell me I am just flat out wrong.

Why not? Aren't you tolerant of other opinions as you claim? Can you not see how you contradict yourself in this paragraph? You claim to be "tolerant" but then say I shouldn't tell you that you are wrong... huh? If you ARE wrong, there most certainly is a reason to tell you. Or is it only ok for you to tell others they are wrong, but not ok for them to tell you that you are wrong? How is that tolerant? crazy How is that not hypocritical? You demand "tolerance" from others but practice none yourself.

As I said I expected to be challenged. I expected a debate. And my mind is so open that you can't even glue it closed. I never said no one could disagree with me.

This post of yours does not demonstrate open mindedness at all. Just the opposite, it demonstrates close mindedness to anyone who challenges you or says you are "wrong." However, if you expect to be challenged, I suspect you won't be disappointed if you continue to post opinions that are short sighted and clearly contradictory to Dr. Harley's.

I would again point out that folks come here to learn about MArriage Builders, Lacey, not about our personal, uneducated, inexperienced opinions about marital recovery. [when your own marriage is in deep trouble] I don't know about you, but I am not a trained psychologist. I only know how to sell soft drinks. That is why I stick to Marriage Builders concepts when talking to newcomers. They don't come here to hear my crap, they come here to learn about MB.

But just because my marriage is not perfect that doesn't mean that I might not have good advice for someone else.

It does mean that you don't know how to fix your own marriage so its unlikely you can help others fix theirs. On the other hand, Dr Harley has saved thousands of marriages. You can't even fix your own marriage, how do you expect to fix others? Would you take weight loss advice from a person who is grossly overweight? Ask yourself that.

No thanks, I'm on a diet. wink

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
lacey,

Could part of your problem with your H be that he is feeling overwhelmed trying to carry the full financial burden for your family?

Are you both in agreement with you being a SAHM?

I suggest that you give MB a try. At least fill out the EN questionaire with your H and try fulfilling his EN's.

Step back before you react and say things that you regret. It is one thing to observe and say you are angry (calmly), it's entirely another thing to act out on your emotion. Your anger is just a manifestation of the hurt you are feeling because your H is withdrawn from the M.

If you do the EN's then it will be easier to do a plan A.

And no more relationship talk right now. I think all your questions about your relationship is stressing your H right now. Come here and vent, don't vent to your H right now.

I also suggest that you move back into your bedroom. You sleeping on the couch is not bringing you any closer to your H. It just keeps you further apart from each other emotionally, causing a further downward spiral in your relationship.

Give the EN thing a try. What do you have to lose? Is what you have been doing working for you? I think not. It is why you are here asking for help. So just give this MB thing a try, won't you? smile

Best wishes,

Love in Christ,
Miss M

me: FBS
H: FWS
Fully recovered
G
OP Offline
G
Thank you Miss M. I do have the EN's printed out. I have mine filled in, but I haven't given him his yet. Because like you said he doesn't want to talk about it. I am really thinking about sleeping in the bed tonight. And right now we are really having money problems. And again I offered to get a job over night, but he wants to take this burden on himself. I am going continue to try and sell the stuff that I make. And hopefully pretty soon will make some money?.... And he wants to concentrate on that right now. And when we are able to buy food again, we will be able to concentrate on our marriage.

F
F
GL, if your H wants to be the financial supporter of the family tell us what you are doing to support his efforts? Where are you making cuts in the household budget. Are you being his cheerleader? Are you remembering to thank him for his efforts? Remember that most men have admiration as one of their top EN's, how are you doing filling that EN? Are you keeping a tidy home for when he comes home from working hard for you? Do you have your son clean and ready to cuddle or play with dad at the end of the day?

Faith

me: FWW/BS 52 H: FWH/BS 49
DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
B
B
You have not offered me any advice on how to help my marriage only told me that I don't deserve to try to help anyone else.
That's not true at all, GL. Melody offered you advice about a month ago. Here are some portions I think are key:

The problem is that you and your H are falling out of love because you have STOPPED meeting each others needs. He is not giving you the affection and admiration you need, and you are probably not meeting his top needs. Just think how much in love you were when you were dating? That is because you met each others top ENs.

you must first find out both of your top emotional needs and stop lovebusters. You can take questionaires for both on this website, they are downloadable. Then it is REAL IMPORTANT that you spend 15 hours a week together meeting each others needs. That means finding a baby sitter and going out 1-2x a week. It is in your baby's best interest for her parents to have a great marriage.

Based on what you have written, you have certainly put in more effort than your H. But I don't believe you have followed the advice given: Stop LBs, Meet ENs and spend 15 hours a week giving each other Undivided Attention (no kids, family members, etc.)

One thing I've noticed in this thread is how you try talking with/to him and he doesn't want to. Being honest about how you feel is important to share, but it shouldn't dominate all your conversations. I would bet a lot of money that Conversation is NOT one of his top five ENs, so the time you're spending trying to have a conversation about your marriage is not building his Love Bank.

The other thing I've noticed is that you were talking about giving each other space, spending more time apart, etc. BAD IDEA. While this may avoid LBs, it will do nothing to help you two fall back in love with each other. It is anathema to the tried-and-tested Marriage Builders principles.

The answer to your question is really quite simple, it's just not easy.

BH (Me): 33, XWW: 33
Married 1999, No kids
EA: 11/04?-10/07, PA: 05/07
D-Day: 06/07
Divorced: 04/09
Affair is over for OP but not for WS
WW wants to move away w/o me
WW moved away w/o me
C
C
Lacey, the other thing to remember that's so important is that it doesn't matter if you ARE meeting your H's ENs if you haven't FIRST stopped doing any Love Busting. LBs poke holes in your Love Bucket; no matter how many ENs you meet, if the LBs are there, the ENs will just keep leaking out of the holes, and his love for you will be empty.

Please do the LB questionnaire first. Work on eliminating the LBs consistently for at least a month or two, til you have changed your habits.

Then work on the ENs.

S
S
GL,I have a lot of respect for your MIL. And she says that you have been a huge support for her and she cares a great deal about you.

Why do you think she sent you here?

Happily married to HerPapaBear

S
S
MOST of us on this board are here to help people save their marriages.

Dr. Harley says it is a narrow path. If both spouses follow his program, he guarantees you will have a wonderful marriage. He makes it clear that you cannot pick and choose which part to implement and which to throw out, and still expect the same results. EVERY part of the program is KEY to making it work.

Most of the advice you receive here is for the purpose of helping you implement Dr. H's program.

Did you come here so that you could share your ideas of what love is/should be? Or did you come here to save your marriage?

If you aren't here to save your marriage, then a lot of the people here would rather invest their time in helping someone who is.

If you are here to save your marriage, I suggest you come with a humble, teachable heart.

We have traveled a road that you DO NOT want to travel.

We have information we wish we had known when we were your age.

We want to share it with you and save you the worst heartache you could possibly suffer.

You have to be willing to hear and learn.

I know it's hard to BELIEVE that love and marriage is just about a silly love bank and love deposits and withdrawals. It seems to take the romantic, we-were-meant-to-be-together part out of it, doesn't it?

But WHAT IF this IS the path to that romantic love you are longing for?

Are you willing to try a program that has been fully implemented by many couples and proven successful when followed?

Your marriage is headed for infidelity whether you want to admit it yet or not. Maybe not this month, or this year, or in five years. But because of your naive thinking, you are leaving yourself and your husband open to great agony in the future. I pointed this out to you on Fred's thread, but I think you breezed over it. I was not attacking you. I was being honest with you. I would appreciate you reading what I said there and coming back here with your thoughts.

S
S
GL, I was wrong. It was not Fred's thread that I quoted you on. It was the skank-ho thread. I have gone there and copied my posts so that, if you are up for it, we can discuss it further.

Although the example you gave was not you flirting, you did express your belief that flirting is not dangerous to a marriage. That is the thinking that I would like to challeng you on. Because Dr. Harley believes it is very dangerous to a marriage and to work his program, you must protect your marriage from that type of hurtful, disrespectful behavior.

Here's my previous post:

Well neither of us are looking for it.

You do realize those are words quoted over and over by EVERY WS that comes on this board.

If someone comes up to me and flirts with me dos that mean I'm looking for it? No it means they want to flirt with me.

It means that you are willing to let someone other than your husband meet your ENs.

Have you read anything Dr. H says about ENs?????

If so, you already know why this is not a safe thing for your marriage.

It used to make us flirt more with each other.

That would be because you both feel insecure and not safe in your marriage. You know you have competition. Dr. H says there should NEVER be competition in a marriage. You should be protecting each other from competition.

And since I've been home with our son, I have been out enough to get flirted with. And now we haven't flirted much with each other, mostly because I have not been feeling very attractive lately.

So you are not getting some important ENs met by your husband. And because you allow flirting (poor boundaries), your marriage is NOT affair-proof and is actually set up to suffer an affair.

What is needed for an affair?

ENs not being met.

Poor boundaries.

Right now you have both. You are in dangerous waters. It's time to PROTECT your marriage, not justify why it's OK to RISK it.

S
S
And then my next post:

I'm not looking for attention. I'm not looking to make a connection with anyone other than my husband.

Most people don't LOOK for an affair.

But they do exactly what you are doing...

Leave themselves open to one because they are sure they will never have one.

My husband and I are trying to work on our M

An important FIRST step to that would be to eliminate any opportunities for other people to make any deposits in either of your love banks.

and we have not had affairs,

Well, at your age, neither did most of the FWS's here.

But then 10 or 15 years down the road (and 2, 3, 4, or more kids)....

with love banks let open all that time...

eventually some OP hit enough ENs at the same time the spouse at home had been neglecting a few or love bustings and making withdrawals.

That's why Dr. H says GIVEN THE RIGHT CONDITIONS, ANYONE can have an affair.

You are young in your marriage.

It's a great time to protect it.

BEFORE the damage is done.

I'm telling you...
you don't want to live through what most of us here have.

Many of us said the same thing years ago that you are saying now.

even though we've had plenty of chances.

Yeah, my FWH had many chances to.

But it didn't happen until we had been married for 19 years...pretty much happily married and in love. In fact, he even told OW during that month before the AF kicked in that he LOVED ME.

So what happened????

He had an open love bank...didn't see the harm in OW flirting (meeting his admiration EN), then emailing or phoning a woman other than his wife.

He loved me, but he didn't protect me or our marriage.

And eventually, he started saying to me all the typical things any WS says....I don't love you, haven't for years, blah, blah, blah.

Flirting does NOT always lead to affairs, I'm sorry but it doesn't!!

Given enough time

and

the right circumstances (like a marriage in a slump)

and

it does.

I'm not going to have sex with every guy that flirts with me.

Of course not. But you might eventually have sex with the one that deposited enough units to your low love bank to make your feelings stir.

I'm really unsure as to why its become such a square subject.

I'm really unsure why you are defending yourself so much here.

Its not exactly the same for every person.

When you've read enough stories here, you will see that it is very, very similar.

All the WS's started out saying the same thing you are saying

and

did not protect the marriage early on.

But just because I'm a flirt that doesn't make me a whore.

But it does make you a woman that is a danger to all her friends' marriages because she considers it acceptable to flirt and meet their husbands' ENs, at least their admiration EN, which is most often very high for men.

You are hurting their marriages and your own every time you flirt or allow someone to flirt with you.

S
S
Flirting does NOT always lead to affairs, I'm sorry but it doesn't!!

Maybe it doesn't.

BUT...

Most affairs DO start out that way.

Why risk your marriage?

S
S
GL, if you do not reach the point of understanding why flirting is hurtful and dangerous to a marriage, you will never be willing to put into place those extraordinary precautions that affair-proof marriages.

That is why I am "harping" on this topic. It is THAT important.

S
S
GL, I have skimmed over this thread, and I am confused.

Do you suspect that your husband is having an affair?

Some of the statements he is making sound very familiar, sound very waywardish.

At minimum, perhaps he is indulging himself in intimate conversation (as you did with xbf) and having an EA. That could make him foggy.

I know you don't yet believe that you were having an EA, but from what you have said, it certainly sounds like one. I hope you realize that it is CRITICAL to your marriage that you have no contact with xbf ever again. He is a threat to your marriage.

Have you been snooping on your husband? Have you found anything suspicious? I am sorry, but there are many red flags.

P
P
Good job SMB. You have said so eloquently what needed to be said. One of my daughters is probably GL's age and I would tell her the same thing... to protect her.

What IS that saying??? Oh yeah... if I only knew then what I know now.

GL, again, no one is picking on you. Just trying to head you off the path to destruction.

Last edited by princessmeggy; 04/02/09 03:57 PM.

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
S
S
Dancing Machine,

I am very confused.

Am I correct that GL is your DIL?

Do you live close by???

Some of your questions sounded like you suspect he is having an affair. Do you???

And why all the games on the board???

D
D
Originally Posted by sexymamabear
Dancing Machine,

I am very confused.

Do you live close by???

Some of your questions sounded like you suspect he is having an affair. Do you???

Hi SMB,

Yes. This is why I was upset when everyone jumped on her.

Yes. We live less than a mile from each other in the same town.

I don't know. I hope not. She doesn't think so, though. I don't trust this "friend" of his, that's for sure.

What games? I was keeping my mouth shut so the "Shadow of Gray" wasn't looming over her here. I just felt like I might be a detriment to her getting help here so I didn't say anything immediately.

Is that what you are talking about?

Thanks,

Charlotte

S
S
Originally Posted by Dancing_Machine
Originally Posted by sexymamabear
Dancing Machine,

I am very confused.

Do you live close by???

Hi SMB,

Yes. This is why I was upset when everyone jumped on her.

I'm sure you want her to receive help here or you never would have sent her here. But she's got to be willing to listen and LEARN about DR. H's program. Her marriage is clearly in a crisis of some sorts, and posting on other newbie's threads about her opinions based on her feelings isn't going to help her or those she is posting to.

You know that.

I hope she will continue to post on her thread, because her marriage needs MB.

Yes. We live less than a mile from each other in the same town.

Are you able/willing to help her snoop? Because she needs to know what she's up against (whether there is an OW).

I don't know. I hope not. She doesn't think so, though. I don't trust this "friend" of his, that's for sure.

Of course she doesn't think so. None of us thought it possible in our own marriages. But I agree with you, the "friend" doesn't sound like a safe situation for her marriage. What concerns me most is her husband's comments to GL. It all sounds very familiar.

What games?

Posting on her thread as if you didn't know her.

I was keeping my mouth shut so the "Shadow of Gray" wasn't looming over her here. I just felt like I might be a detriment to her getting help here so I didn't say anything immediately.

I confess I don't know what you mean here. I have not spent much time on your thread (other than to see a few bravo's for your bulldog), so maybe I'm out of the loop on why you feel her relationship to you would be a threat to her getting help here. I don't need to know, though, so no need to explain.

It doesn't matter to me who her family is. All that matters to me is whether she is willing to learn MB. If she's not, then I have no reason to post to her thread. So far, she has shown little to no interest in actually learning what Dr. H says about saving marriages.

I hope that changes...for her sake.

I certainly won't bash her for no good reason. But I will deliver the well-meaning 2X4s when her thinking is dangerous to her marriage.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 369 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation