Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 307 of 339 1 2 305 306 307 308 309 338 339
P
P
Please Help, I am Jewish and as a sign of respect I don’t write out the full name of G-d. There are many other reasons, but that is most simplistic for me to explain.
Hmmm, I'll have to ponder that..as you might have guessed I'm all about respecting him...
I remember a Bible study where I argued against the fact that saying OMG was very disrepectful... I meant when I heard terrible news like the death of a child.. I would just blurt it out...

I was a few miles back on my "walk" at the time and I don't say it anymore.

I'm still struggling with a replacement though... I mean after hearing about the death of a child from a parent.. "Oh my gosh" Just doesn't cut it you know? frown any ideas? I need help with this.. I really do because I won't go back to OMG and I fell heartless with my responses..

Oh my Gosh....
Oh my word...
Oh my...
Oh my my...??
They are all lame for me... (disclaimer..I meant for me...this is in no way an insult to anyone that uses any of the above :))

Anyone?

So as I ponder if this is what I want for myself I PROMISE to try and remember when on YOUR post out of respect for you to say....

G-D Bless.... Frank

P.S. Boy... doesn't quite jump off the keyboard quite yet smile

Maybe I'll try G^D bless instead... since it is pointing UP!!

That feels a little better... But here... G-D bless for you...

Q
OP Offline
Q
Oh Frank, please don't feel like you need to write out G-d my way. If you could only understand how accepting and how far my walk with G-d has been you would truly know from my heart that I want you to be more comfortable talking about HIM your way. It means no disrespect for me at all. In fact, I have learned to embrace all our differences and realize how important relationships especially our own personal one with G-d is.

BS 52, FWH 53, Married 1-1-84
D-day 5-14-07, WH moved in with OW
Plan A 9 months, DARK Plan B 3-17-08 until 3-2-09
WH and OW broke up 1-09
Started over 7-09
Q
OP Offline
Q
Cinderella, this was on my email from work. Please use it if you can.

-------------------------------------------------
MountainWings A MountainWings Moment
#9104 Wings Over The Mountains of Life
-------------------------------------------------

Please Read if YOU Need Prayer
===============================

Do you or someone who you care about need prayer?

The ARK of Salvation, the Christian church in Atlanta, GA.
pastored by Nathaniel Bronner Jr., the writer of MountainWings,
will be holding a 24 Hour non-stop Easter Week Sabbath Power
Prayer Vigil beginning Friday, April 17, 2009 at sunset.

MountainWings receives prayer requests 24 hours a day from
around the world. Each prayer request is prayed over
individually after receiving it.

On April 17th, three prayer teams from The ARK of Salvation,
each team led by one of the ministers of Brothers of The WORD,
will pray non-stop for eight hours each.

The prayer requests received at MountainWings each week are a
thick stack. Each is individually prayed for, but these 24 hours
will have a special anointing and prayer intensity.

If you have a need and prayer request for yourself or another,
we invite you to submit your prayer request by simply going to
MountainWings.com and clicking "Prayer Request."

There is no cost or donation required, only your sincere desire
for a change and the effort to write and submit your request.

We invite you to pray along with us.

The presiding ministers of each eight hour segment:
Friday April 17, 8PM to 4AM - Rev. C. Elijah Bronner
Saturday April 18, 4AM to Noon - Rev. Nathaniel Bronner Jr.
Saturday April 18, Noon to 8PM - Rev. James Bronner

All prayer requests submitted from today through 6 PM EST
Friday April 17th will be included in the Prayer Vigil.

To submit a Prayer Request to be included in this time of power,
anointing, and healing, go now to MountainWings.com and
click "Prayer Request" or click the link below.

http://www.mountainwings.com/prayer_request.html

Forward this to anyone and everyone who needs prayer.

We shall be praying.

~A MountainWings Original~

Forward this issue to a friend or send them the link below:
http://www.mountainwings.com/past/9104.htm

Thank you for inviting MountainWings in your mailbox.
See you tomorrow.

WH and OW broke up 1-09
Started over 7-09
K
K
Hope - I understand your POV about Plan B

Here are some other thoughts - as given to me directly by an inspired individual - who told me God wanted to reach my husband - and I kept getting in the way. That's fine only if I thought I could do better or was more powerful than God...

Plan B was His way of moving me out of His way to reach my husband.

I am so very grateful for Plan B. I don't talk about it much as it was part of a violent blow up in our marriage over his addiction and my FOO issues. I left the home with our son that night - police ordered to stay away and I just let it keep going for about six months - filled out the paper work for divorce but had no money to file. That Plan B was interrupted only during meetings with our minister or marriage counselor, during which sessions in the first few months, I would listen, then quietly state that I didn't need to be married that badly (I wasn't going back to the old marriage. I was done. I knew I deserved to be treated better.)

No more rescuing from the pain of his consequences. No more getting in God's way. And definitely no more enabling.

I got out of God's way. He worked on my husband. And is still working on my husband.

I like what God has done with my husband much better than what puny efforts I could do!

Plan B has it's place. Read Ecclesiastes 3 some time if you doubt. (There are New Testament passages that also talk about cutting off a limb or putting out an eye that offend thee - consider what kind of Plan B instructions these might be.)

1 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
2 A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
3 A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
4 A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
5 A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
6 A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
7 A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
8 A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

Queen - I don't post much but I read all the time. Your faith is bringing about miracles in you, regardless of what happens with your WH - continue in your walk, is about all I can say!

Cafe Plan B link http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2182650&page=1

The ? that made recovery possible: "Which lovebuster do I do the most that hurts the worst"?

The statement that signaled my personal recovery and the turning point in our marriage recovery: "I don't need to be married that badly!"

If you're interested in saving your relationship, you'll work on it when it's convenient. If you're committed, you'll accept no excuses.
L
L
Originally Posted by QueeniesAdventures
Hey Lookin, I got your message. I am limited on my phone minutes so I have to wait until later or the weekend to call. How was your weekend? You doing ok?
My weekend was hard, eye-opening, and good. You can get the gory (sp?) details on my thread. But surprisingly? I am okay. Actually doing pretty well as clarity is unfolding more and more.

You are such a beacon for many of us here, Queenie. Even when you think you are weak, you are strong. You have so much wisdom and kindness. Thank you for sharing you with us.

(((((Queenie)))))

Me (FWW): 45
BH: 46
M: 11/94
PA: 2/08 (4 mos)
Confessed: 10/08
DS10
DD8
Q
OP Offline
Q
Your faith is bringing about miracles in you, regardless of what happens with your WH - continue in your walk, is about all I can say!
Thank you Kayla, I respect your so much and try to read whenever you respond to others. Your wisdom and ability to see the bigger picture helps me so much.

You are so right. Stay out of G-ds way and let him perform the miracles.

Thank you...

WH and OW broke up 1-09
Started over 7-09
C
C
g'night

Q
OP Offline
Q
Gnight......

L4, I'm reading your thread right now..

WH and OW broke up 1-09
Started over 7-09
L
L
Better grab a cup o' java to get through it. And please be very straight-forward with your comments there. Don't hold back because I want to know where I'm messing up.

Thank you.

DS10
DD8
Q
OP Offline
Q
ok, I'm responding...

WH and OW broke up 1-09
Started over 7-09
P
P
Oh Frank, please don't feel like you need to write out G-d my way. If you could only understand how accepting and how far my walk with G-d has been you would truly know from my heart that I want you to be more comfortable talking about HIM your way. It means no disrespect for me at all. In fact, I have learned to embrace all our differences and realize how important relationships especially our own personal one with G-d is.

Ok then I'm going with G^D until I study if it is disrespectful to G^D to tyoe the whole name....
What about the OMG thing? Any help/ideas there?

Q
OP Offline
Q
Aha.... Here you go...

The Name of G-d
Level: Basic

Please note: This page contains the Name of God. If you print it out, please treat it with appropriate respect.

The Significance of Names
In Jewish thought, a name is not merely an arbitrary designation, a random combination of sounds. The name conveys the nature and essence of the thing named. It represents the history and reputation of the being named.

This is not as strange or unfamiliar a concept as it may seem at first glance. In English, we often refer to a person's reputation as his "good name." When a company is sold, one thing that may be sold is the company's "good will," that is, the right to use the company's name. The Hebrew concept of a name is very similar to these ideas.

An example of this usage occurs in Ex. 3:13-22: Moses asks God what His "name" is. Moses is not asking "what should I call you;" rather, he is asking "who are you; what are you like; what have you done." That is clear from God's response. God replies that He is eternal, that He is the God of our ancestors, that He has seen our affliction and will redeem us from bondage.

Another example of this usage is the concepts of chillul Ha-Shem and kiddush Ha-Shem. An act that causes God or Judaism to come into disrespect or a commandment to be disobeyed is often referred to as "chillul Ha-Shem," profanation of The Name. Clearly, we are not talking about a harm done to a word; we are talking about harm to a reputation. Likewise, any deed that increases the respect accorded to God or Judaism is referred to as "kiddush Ha-Shem," sanctification of The Name.

Because a name represents the reputation of the thing named, a name should be treated with the same respect as the thing's reputation. For this reason, God's Names, in all of their forms, are treated with enormous respect and reverence in Judaism.

The Names of God
I have often heard people refer to the Judeo-Christian God as "the nameless God" to contrast our God with the ancient pagan gods. I always found this odd, because Judaism clearly recognizes the existence of a Name for God; in fact, we have many Names for God.

The most important of God's Names is the four-letter Name represented by the Hebrew letters Yod-Hei-Vav-Hei (YHVH). It is often referred to as the Ineffable Name, the Unutterable Name or the Distinctive Name. Linguistically, it is related to the Hebrew root Hei-Yod-Hei (to be), and reflects the fact that God's existence is eternal. In scripture, this Name is used when discussing God's relation with human beings, and when emphasizing his qualities of lovingkindness and mercy. It is frequently shortened to Yah (Yod-Hei), Yahu or Yeho (Yod-Hei-Vav), especially when used in combination with names or phrases, as in Yehoshua (Joshua, meaning "the Lord is my Salvation"), Eliyahu (Elijah, meaning "my God is the Lord"), and Halleluyah ("praise the Lord").

The first Name used for God in scripture is Elohim. In form, the word is a masculine plural of a word that looks feminine in the singular (Eloha). The same word (or, according to Rambam, a homonym of it) is used to refer to princes, judges, other gods, and other powerful beings. This Name is used in scripture when emphasizing God's might, His creative power, and his attributes of justice and rulership. Variations on this name include El, Eloha, Elohai (my God) and Elohaynu (our God).

God is also known as El Shaddai. This Name is usually translated as "God Almighty," however, the derivation of the word "Shaddai" is not known. According to some views, it is derived from the root meaning "to heap benefits." According a Midrash, it means, "The One who said 'dai'" ("dai" meaning enough or sufficient) and comes from the fact that when God created the universe, it expanded until He said "DAI!" (perhaps the first recorded theory of an expanding universe?). The name Shaddai is the one written on the mezuzah scroll. Some note that Shaddai is an acronym of Shomer Daltot Yisrael, Guardian of the Doors of Israel.

Another significant Name of God is YHVH Tzva'ot. This Name is normally translated as "Lord of Hosts." The word "tzva'ot" means "hosts" in the sense of a military grouping or an organized array. The Name refers to God's leadership and sovereignty. Interestingly, this Name is rarely used in scripture. It never appears in the Torah (i.e., the first five books). It appears primarily in the prophetic books of Isaiah, Jeremiah, Haggai, Zechariah and Malachi, as well as many times in the Psalms.

Writing the Name of God
Jews do not casually write any Name of God. This practice does not come from the commandment not to take the Lord's Name in vain, as many suppose. In Jewish thought, that commandment refers solely to oath-taking, and is a prohibition against swearing by God's Name falsely or frivolously (the word normally translated as "in vain" literally means "for falsehood").

Judaism does not prohibit writing the Name of God per se; it prohibits only erasing or defacing a Name of God. However, observant Jews avoid writing any Name of God casually because of the risk that the written Name might later be defaced, obliterated or destroyed accidentally or by one who does not know better.

The commandment not to erase or deface the name of God comes from Deut. 12:3. In that passage, the people are commanded that when they take over the promised land, they should destroy all things related to the idolatrous religions of that region, and should utterly destroy the names of the local deities. Immediately afterwards, we are commanded not to do the same to our God. From this, the rabbis inferred that we are commanded not to destroy any holy thing, and not to erase or deface a Name of God.

It is worth noting that this prohibition against erasing or defacing Names of God applies only to Names that are written in some kind of permanent form, and recent rabbinical decisions have held that writing on a computer is not a permanent form, thus it is not a violation to type God's Name into a computer and then backspace over it or cut and paste it, or copy and delete files with God's Name in them. However, once you print the document out, it becomes a permanent form. That is why observant Jews avoid writing a Name of God on web sites like this one or in newsgroup messages: because there is a risk that someone else will print it out and deface it.

Normally, we avoid writing the Name by substituting letters or syllables, for example, writing "G-d" instead of "God." In addition, the number 15, which would ordinarily be written in Hebrew as Yod-Hei (10-5), is normally written as Teit-Vav (9-6), because Yod-Hei is a Name. See Hebrew Alphabet for more information about using letters as numerals.

Pronouncing the Name of God
Nothing in the Torah prohibits a person from pronouncing the Name of God. Indeed, it is evident from scripture that God's Name was pronounced routinely. Many common Hebrew names contain "Yah" or "Yahu," part of God's four-letter Name. The Name was pronounced as part of daily services in the Temple.

The Mishnah confirms that there was no prohibition against pronouncing The Name in ancient times. In fact, the Mishnah recommends using God's Name as a routine greeting to a fellow Jew. Berakhot 9:5. However, by the time of the Talmud, it was the custom to use substitute Names for God. Some rabbis asserted that a person who pronounces YHVH according to its letters (instead of using a substitute) has no place in the World to Come, and should be put to death. Instead of pronouncing the four-letter Name, we usually substitute the Name "Adonai," or simply say "Ha-Shem" (lit. The Name).

Although the prohibition on pronunciation applies only to the four-letter Name, Jews customarily do not pronounce any of God's many Names except in prayer or study. The usual practice is to substitute letters or syllables, so that Adonai becomes Adoshem or Ha-Shem, Elohaynu and Elohim become Elokaynu and Elokim, etc.

With the Temple destroyed and the prohibition on pronouncing The Name outside of the Temple, pronunciation of the Name fell into disuse. Scholars passed down knowledge of the correct pronunciation of YHVH for many generations, but eventually the correct pronunciation was lost, and we no longer know it with any certainty. We do not know what vowels were used, or even whether the Vav in the Name was a vowel or a consonant. See Hebrew Alphabet for more information about the difficulties in pronouncing Hebrew. Some religious scholars suggest that the Name was pronounced "Yahweh," but others do not find this pronunciation particularly persuasive.

Some people render the four-letter Name as "Jehovah," but this pronunciation is particularly unlikely. The word "Jehovah" comes from the fact that ancient Jewish texts used to put the vowels of the Name "Adonai" (the usual substitute for YHVH) under the consonants of YHVH to remind people not to pronounce YHVH as written. A sixteenth century German Christian scribe, while transliterating the Bible into Latin for the Pope, wrote the Name out as it appeared in his texts, with the consonants of YHVH and the vowels of Adonai, and came up with the word JeHoVaH, and the name stuck.

Ok, here's my take. I'm not really good on the ten commandments, but I'm getting better. I got the Thou shall not commit adultery down pretty good. But isn't there the one where thou shall not take the lord's name in vein.

Judaism 101 has this... 3. Prohibition of Oaths
This category is derived from Ex. 20:7, beginning, "You shall not take the name of the L-rd your G-d in vain..." This includes prohibitions against perjury, breaking or delaying the performance of vows or promises, and speaking G-d's name or swearing unnecessarily.

For me personally and it's something I have to work on daily... OMG is taking the lord's name in vain....
Here is Meriam-Websters take...1: having no real value : idle , worthless <vain pretensions> 2: marked by futility or ineffectualness : unsuccessful , useless <vain efforts to escape>
3archaic : foolish , silly

How's that?

WH and OW broke up 1-09
Started over 7-09
P
P
How's that?

Great! Thanks a lot!!... I'll have to read it when I get up..
I agree it is taking his name in vain when we say OMG..
I need a better sayig than "Oh my Gosh.." to replace it though laugh I've been searching for YEARS!!

G-Night.. sleep tight..dream of the angels....

Q
OP Offline
Q
G-night, sleet tight... and pray for G-ds will to be in working in your life.

Searching for Years.... Well since I have free time on my hands while G-d works on my husband, let's see if we can't come up with something to satisfy you.

Talk to you soon new friend. Thank you for your spirit. It is very calming to me. There were two others on here, besides Mark who are so good at calming me, TMTS, and Jamesus. They both are busy building their lives and I miss them much, so I'm glad to have someone else to speak with.

Do you like football?

WH and OW broke up 1-09
Started over 7-09
L
L
Originally Posted by PLEASE HELP
I need a better sayig than "Oh my Gosh.." to replace it though laugh I've been searching for YEARS!!
I too, don't use God's name in vain or even "OMG"! I prefer OMGoodness if I must. It's difficult teaching my kids it's unacceptable to me when they hear it everywhere on TV, including young-themed shows.

But if you're in a pinch, you can borrow some of my replacements. Of course what I use depends on if it's a moment of anger, disbelief, euphoria, or stupidity:
Holy moly
Jimminy Crickinicks
Un-flippin-believable
Are you kidding me?
Yee-haw!
Dang-tootin'!
Oh no!
Oh my goodness
Seriously?
No freakin' way

Of course there's always the straight up "sh**!" which can take on different meanings too.

I hope I didn't offend you, PH, or Queenie by jumping in here. But I like putting creativity to the test by way of expression. Sometimes throwing out something completely unexpected adds true-er meaning to what you're expressing because it's more noticable than the common Oh my G... It catches people off guard so that they might pause a moment to reflect on the extreme of the moment -- whether that extreme be good or bad.

And I find nothing wrong with oh my gosh. I find it respectful while still getting a point across. But maybe that's just me.

DS10
DD8
P
P
God's plan B = wander the desert

Thanks fore being the ONLY one to actually GET ME and my weird analogy clap

H
H
I have added my prayer request to mountainwings. thanks

Me 55, XWH 53, M 22 years
D17, D30
alien replaces my husband "I'm not happy" -7/08
Discover OW-8/08 (his direct report and I work there also)
H moves out 10/1/08, confront Ow 10/28/08
Plan B 1/09
D final 12/09

Quote: "First thing you do is pray; when there is nothing else to do, continue to pray."
M
M
I take a day off and it's gonna take a week to catch up... grumble

I'll be back... cool

Mark

P
P

hug

Queenie....

hug

L
L
Wow! that was awesome Queenie, Flick was asking me the other day why you do that, I am going to send him a copy

Recovered marriage, recovering self, life gets better everyday laugh
Page 307 of 339 1 2 305 306 307 308 309 338 339

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
2 members (doseedo, 1 invisible), 533 guests, and 40 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation