Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
M
Originally Posted by Pepperband
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
If I like myself I will do the right thing? So I can't make good choices until I like myself, right? smile

stickout Wrong ! stickout

You have hurt my emotional feelings! My self esteem is ruint! sigh

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

J
J
I like myself WHEN I do right. IF I do wrong, me no likey. This may stem from my effed-up childhood. I'm a work in progress.

LIFE IS GOOD
P
OP Offline
P
Feeling good about one's self (high self esteem) when one has NO REASON to (not doing the right thing) - is a narcissistic trait lashes

P
OP Offline
P

SOLUTION:

BIG GIRL PANTIES

J
J
Feeling good about one's self (high self esteem) when one has NO REASON to (not doing the right thing) - is a narcissistic trait lashes

Awesome. You guys & gals teach me something new every day. hug

LIFE IS GOOD
M
M
SOLUTION:

BIG GIRL PANTIES

I was gonna say: "Suck it up, Princess", but your version works too! grin

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

A
A
Now the search function works a bit, I can find old threads that tickle my remembery. And here is a fairly interesting thread from years ago on this very topic:

Low Self Esteem. Not.

eta: The link wants to jump to the middle of the thread. Scan back to the top to get it all.

Last edited by Aphelion; 04/30/09 10:55 AM.

"Never forget that your pain means nothing to a WS." ~Mulan

"An ethical man knows it is wrong to cheat on his wife. A moral man will not actually do it." ~ Ducky

WS: They are who they are.

When an eel lunges out
And it bites off your snout
Thats a moray ~DS
M
M
Originally Posted by MrsWondering
SOLUTION:

BIG GIRL PANTIES

I was gonna say: "Suck it up, Princess", but your version works too! grin

Mrs. W

cry y'all are mean and hateful!

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
S
If I like myself I will do the right thing? So I can't make good choices until I like myself, right? smile

stickout Wrong ! stickout

Mel, don't stop believin'!

It's YOUR truth.

That's what matters. :crosseyedcrazy:

Happily married to HerPapaBear

I
I
Originally Posted by Vittoria
[quote=Pepperband][quote=MelodyLane]I do the right things, I make good choices, ahhh I like myself.

I'm not trying to be snarky, here. I'm having huge issues with self-esteem and self-respect. Most of the time, I DO the right thing, and I make good choices. I'm living a life I'm proud of.

And yet, I feel like sh*t about myself. I need the approval of others in order to feel good about myself.

So, what do you do when "other-respect or other-esteem" trumps self respect/self esteem.

(Other than meet with your therapist, which I'm hoping to do soon.)

Last edited by inrecoverynow; 04/30/09 11:11 AM.
M
M
Originally Posted by inrecoverynow
And yet, I feel like sh*t about myself. I need the approval of others in order to feel good about myself.

So, what do you do when "other-respect or other-esteem" trumps self respect/self esteem.

So why do you CHOOSE to look outside of yourself for approval? Do you see that is not working for you? The very practice of looking to OTHERS for your approval is a slap in your face. How can you feel good about yourself when you treat yourself so disrespectfully?

Exposure 101

P
OP Offline
P

Personally, what I would do is journal about this in order to gain insight. Journaling has helped me figure out the "why" I do things.

It is probably something you do out of habit.

M
M

Message to SELF: your approval is meaningless and takes second place to the approval of every Tom, [censored], and Harry, no matter how insignificant. My value as a human being is contingent upon the approval of someone whom I may not respect or EVEN KNOW. Why oh why would I do that to myself?

Exposure 101

I
I
[quote=inrecoverynow]
So why do you CHOOSE to look outside of yourself for approval? Do you see that is not working for you? The very practice of looking to OTHERS for your approval is a slap in your face. How can you feel good about yourself when you treat yourself so disrespectfully?

Because unlearning codependent behavior is a b*tch. I've noticed that self-respect right now, is what's holding me back in my recovery. And it's hitting me hard as I've been cut off from one of my major sources of other esteem-and I'm making my partner (who has done wonderfully with his recovery) suffer consequences he shouldn't have to.

Last edited by inrecoverynow; 04/30/09 11:24 AM.
M
M
[quote=inrecoverynow]

Because unlearning codependent behavior is a b*tch. I've noticed that self-respect right now, is what's holding me back in my recovery. And it's hitting me hard as I've been cut off from one of my major sources of other esteem-and I'm making my partner (who has done wonderfully with his recovery) suffer consequences he shouldn't have to.

My suggestion: knock it off

Exposure 101

J
J
Because unlearning codependent behavior is a b*tch.

So true. It's a long-standing habit & we have to consciously CHOOSE better thoughts. It's not easy. But, we can do it anyway.

You may be wise to take a look at those around you too...something about "the company we keep". I've noticed that as my self-love grows, those around me who don't truly have my best interests at heart want to attack me with their drama and woe-is-me and general unhappiness. And, my long-standing, habitual, FORMER way of being is sometimes tempted to get sucked in. But I can always CHOOSE to excuse that from my life, for ME and my kids. It can be scary at first. And also wonderful, refreshing and liberating. Misery loves company...but I don't have to be available.

LIFE IS GOOD
M
M
The downfall of looking to others for your approval is that this is usually a practice of dysfunctional people who dont like themselves anyway. And because they think they are vermin, they tend to think everyone else sees them that way too. So looking to others for approval is a no win situation no matter what.

Exposure 101

R
R
Hi Pep – have you always had good self-respect (high esteem)?

“I think this phrase has just become a hockey-puck ... thrown out on the ice and hit about”

As an English teacher who loves words, I have to admit that “self-esteem” has been tossed around enough to have many meanings and, at the same time, have no meaning by now.

“self RESPECT requires a reverence for doing what is ~right~

for doing what is difficult

for bringing HONOR to our own world

for meeting our obligations

self esteem gets all bound up with feelings ....

RESPECT is the key”

Devil’s advocate here – the above seems like a bit of oversimplification (even with the words changed to “self-respect”).

Julie2U mentioned effed up childhood...

Growing up, my sister (who is a clinical psychologist and counsels abused children) and I were berated for everything we did, right or wrong. We weren’t allowed to speak or have opinions (we were slapped if we spoke, sometimes kicked, even had hot coffee poured on us). After we finally left home, certain family members continued to ridicule us for every action or opinion.

She and I were speaking recently and were surprised to discover that we both (in our 50’s) have not been able to feel better about ourselves, no matter how many successes we achieve in life, school, or work. Inside, we still feel like 5 year olds being kicked.

We have both had years of therapy, been on various meds, we’re both Christians and have spent our lives soul-searching and studying spirituality. Nothing has changed the way we really feel about ourselves.

I’m not blaming low self-esteem for my A (although it was obviously a good example of a lack of self-respect), but feeling like garbage about myself did make the attention and “flattery” appealing.

Mostly what I’m saying, though, is that it isn’t necessarily as simple as “doing the right thing,” or wearing “big-girl panties” to gain self-esteem or self-respect.

Peace-
Rose

FWS-me BS-H Dday-8/2002 Recovering, still!
I
I
Originally Posted by Julie2U
So true. It's a long-standing habit & we have to consciously CHOOSE better thoughts. It's not easy. But, we can do it anyway.

You may be wise to take a look at those around you too...something about "the company we keep". I've noticed that as my self-love grows, those around me who don't truly have my best interests at heart want to attack me with their drama and woe-is-me and general unhappiness. And, my long-standing, habitual, FORMER way of being is sometimes tempted to get sucked in. But I can always CHOOSE to excuse that from my life, for ME and my kids. It can be scary at first. And also wonderful, refreshing and liberating. Misery loves company...but I don't have to be available.

See, but that's not the problem. My husband's been sober and in recovery for 2 years now.

I haven't spoken to my FOO in over a year.

So, really for my purposes, the company I currently keep is mentally/emotionally stable.

I
I
Originally Posted by Rose55
Julie2U mentioned effed up childhood...

Growing up, my sister (who is a clinical psychologist and counsels abused children) and I were berated for everything we did, right or wrong. We weren’t allowed to speak or have opinions (we were slapped if we spoke, sometimes kicked, even had hot coffee poured on us). After we finally left home, certain family members continued to ridicule us for every action or opinion.

She and I were speaking recently and were surprised to discover that we both (in our 50’s) have not been able to feel better about ourselves, no matter how many successes we achieve in life, school, or work. Inside, we still feel like 5 year olds being kicked.

This. is. it. exactly. (Minus the affair.)

Last edited by inrecoverynow; 04/30/09 11:40 AM.
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 494 guests, and 69 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation