Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
OP Offline
M

ManInMotion
===========
(see "MiM's Story" for more details)
F
F
So their first child is an other child. Joanne Woodward did a typical OW trick of pretending to be interested in someone else to force his hand. But this quote REALLY pisses me off. Typical of "Hollywood"

"But Newman wasn't cheating so much as he was recognising that he'd found his ideal partner."

Blech

Faith

me: FWW/BS 52 H: FWH/BS 49
DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
E
E
I don't think I read any more after reading that tripe quoted above.

B
B
I couldn't even get that far.

F
F
That makes me so sad, wow, I never knew about the first marriage and children.

Me BS 46
FWH 50
married 29 years
seperated 6/03 (FWH lived with OW)
came home 2/04 many broken NC's, many false recoverys
But!! In full recovery now and for the most part doing great!
Ps 3 grown children and 2 awesome grands!
P
P
puke Another one for the Adultery Wall of Shame. Sickening.

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
M
M
Totally sickening.

And I hope he was telling the truth that he felt GUILTY about his first M.

He d*mn well should have. I wonder how Judgement Day feels???

<oops, is that a DJ???> grin

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006
D-Day #3~Feb.27, 2007 (we'd been in a FR)
Plan B~ March 3 ~ April 6, 2007

In Recovery and things are improving every day. MB rocks. smile
D
D
Don't forget Johnny Cash, another 3 percenter.

Paul Newman did a bad thing but he was still a good man. He dedicated much of his life to help others.

I always have and will continue to purchase his wholesome products to help his legacy alive for his children and the thousands (millions?) who benefit from the proceeds.

Charlotte

T
T
His oldest son died of a drug overdose. I can't help but wonder how much that was down to the childhood disruption of seeing your father leave and start a new family with his fancy woman?

Just think, without leaving for Joanne and Hollywood, Paul Newman would have been just an ordinary father teaching drama to kids and raising his children. What an awful fate! rant2

"Integrity is telling myself the truth. And honesty is telling the truth to other people." - Spencer Johnson
D
D
Originally Posted by TogetherAlone
His oldest son died of a drug overdose. I can't help but wonder how much that was down to the childhood disruption of seeing your father leave and start a new family with his fancy woman?

Just think, without leaving for Joanne and Hollywood, Paul Newman would have been just an ordinary father teaching drama to kids and raising his children. What an awful fate! rant2

Maybe and maybe not. A lot of Hollywood kids end up this way because they have too much money and they are bored and I think that a lot of them feel worthless, too, though many wouldn't admit it. Or maybe they just don't realize it.

A fancy woman? She was just a woman.

Charlotte

A
A
Originally Posted by Dancing_Machine
Paul Newman did a bad thing but he was still a good man. He dedicated much of his life to help others.

I always have and will continue to purchase his wholesome products to help his legacy alive for his children and the thousands (millions?) who benefit from the proceeds.

Not me. Everything he touched after his adultery is tainted. I buy nothing of his nor watch any movie with him in it. Never will either. It would be like rewarding him for his mean and hurtful choices.

I have actually read his son's problems were directly related to his father's adultery and resulting parent's D. Just like the the various problems of the majority of kids from broken homes. I find it amazing anyone would think his son would have turned out just the same if his adulterous and self serving dad had not run off with the skanky OW.

"Never forget that your pain means nothing to a WS." ~Mulan

"An ethical man knows it is wrong to cheat on his wife. A moral man will not actually do it." ~ Ducky

WS: They are who they are.

When an eel lunges out
And it bites off your snout
Thats a moray ~DS
T
T
I wouldn't buy any of Paul Newman's brands on a bet! I have never, ever liked him, nor have I seen a single one of his movies. I take it back. I saw "Cars." rotflmao And for that matter, the only Mel Gibson movie I've ever seen was "Chicken Run." grin

tl

D
D
Originally Posted by Aphelion
Originally Posted by Dancing_Machine

Not me. Everything he touched after his adultery is tainted. I buy nothing of his nor watch any movie with him in it. Never will either. It would be like rewarding him for his mean and hurtful choices.

I have actually read his son's problems were directly related to his father's adultery and resulting parent's D. Just like the the various problems of the majority of kids from broken homes. I find it amazing anyone would think his son would have turned out just the same if his adulterous and self serving dad had not run off with the skanky OW.

It would be like rewarding him for his mean and hurtful choices.

Be kinda hard to do that, seeing as he's dead and all.

I'm thinking more about the people who benefit from the donations from these products. They are alive and well and need help.

I find it amazing anyone would think his son would have turned out just the same if his adulterous and self serving dad had not run off with the skanky OW.

Happens ALL the time in Hollywood...and not only Hollywood but amongst many children born with the proverbial "silver spoon" inserted in oral cavity.

Charlotte

D
D
Originally Posted by thndrnltng
I wouldn't buy any of Paul Newman's brands on a bet! I have never, ever liked him, nor have I seen a single one of his movies. I take it back. I saw "Cars." rotflmao And for that matter, the only Mel Gibson movie I've ever seen was "Chicken Run." grin

tl

That's nice, as I said, I am thinking about the people who benefit from the donations.

I've seen lots of Mel Gibson movies, not a whole lot of Paul Newman's, but some.

I didn't read the story about Mel Gibson, just saw the headlines. What I can't figure out is...why would anyone want to have an affair with HIM? For Pete's sake, the man has what...6 kids? 7?

Geesh!

Charlotte

W
W
All these posts make me think, What about the fact that he spent 50 years comitted to his realionship. Beacuse the relationship was with OW does it make easier to nuture and grow.
We all here know how difficult it is to sustain a healthy happy relationship for a long period of time.
Perhaps it is from the lessons he learned with his mistakes in his 1st marrriage that he was able to keep the 2nd one going for long. Can the F only be earned if you are still married to the BS? Can a subsequent long term relationship not qualify the WS as FWS?
I for one would like to focus on the fact that he was able to sustain his marriage (by all appearance a happy one) for a long term and take hope in that there can be long term happiness whether its with current spouse or any future spouse.

FBW(me)- 45
FWH- 53
D-day 4/29/08
Moving forward pursuing happiness & a loving Marriage with DH.
D
D
Originally Posted by wannamoveforward
All these posts make me think, What about the fact that he spent 50 years comitted to his realionship. Beacuse the relationship was with OW does it make easier to nuture and grow.
We all here know how difficult it is to sustain a healthy happy relationship for a long period of time.
Perhaps it is from the lessons he learned with his mistakes in his 1st marrriage that he was able to keep the 2nd one going for long. Can the F only be earned if you are still married to the BS? Can a subsequent long term relationship not qualify the WS as FWS?
I for one would like to focus on the fact that he was able to sustain his marriage (by all appearance a happy one) for a long term and take hope in that there can be long term happiness whether its with current spouse or any future spouse.

That's a good point, wmf, thank you for bringing that up. I hadn't even thought about that. 50 years is a long time.

Charlotte

G
G
I hate to throw my two cents in, but doesn't anyone deserve a second chance if they learned from their first mistake? What about JFK? What about Bill Clinton? Personally I believe that they were two of the best Presidents of our time. But that's just my opinion.

M
M
I suspect the GUILT he felt over trashing his BW and kids was the motivation that kept his M to Joanne on tract. He didn't want all that guilt to be for naught. And I suspect that if he failed this M, then he would have to look deep inside to figure out what was wrong with HIM. I doubt a Hollywood icon could fathom there was a weak link.

Well at least he felt some guilt, just not enough to maintain some boundaries and do the right thing.

BW(me)
DDay EA 4/05
DDay PA 6/05
In recovery
P
P
Originally Posted by GoddessLacey
I hate to throw my two cents in, but doesn't anyone deserve a second chance if they learned from their first mistake? What about JFK? What about Bill Clinton? Personally I believe that they were two of the best Presidents of our time. But that's just my opinion.

Er...how old were you when JFK was president? Do you know history was rewritten there too? I didn't know about the cocaine addiction until just recently.

Even so, the comparison isn't the same. Bill didn't leave Hillary and JFK didn't leave Jackie. They just couldn't keep their zippers up.

I'm going to never watch another movie or TV show starring anyone who has ever committed adultery.

BTW, anybody want to buy a TV? I don't need mine any more.

Reminds me of that old commercial line: "I'm not a faithful spouse but I do play one on TV."

Or was that dentist? Oh...never mind. It is 55" big screen and I'm taking offers.

You have to come pick it up though.

M
M
Originally Posted by GoddessLacey

And both of those men remained married to their original spouses...They did not leave them to marry their OWs...Newman's situation was COMPLETELY different...He was in an affairage...He never ENDED his affair...

Could a bank robber truly repent if he kept the money? Me thinks not...uhuh

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,071 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation