Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
OP Offline
W
Anyone else watching with tears?

BS, 28
WH, 36 11/08-? EA(s?), no PA's, lied (net&women)
MLC end 5/09? Enter R smile
M 2000
Child, 5.5 yrs

D
D
No, but apparently in retaliation for the book and EE being so truthful about her feelings, the Deathwatch Whore (Reille) is now demanding paternity.

I never had to take the Kobayashi Maru test until now. What do you think of my solution?

O'hana means family, and family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten.

My Story

Recovered!
W
OP Offline
W
Well, sadly, shoot there is no good answer... he does owe support if he fathered it, and at a minimum the child should have some medical history info... good for EE that she says it won't matter one way or another...

BS, 28
WH, 36 11/08-? EA(s?), no PA's, lied (net&women)
MLC end 5/09? Enter R smile
M 2000
Child, 5.5 yrs

P
P
Well this just really proves the point about fog doesn't it? Here we have a man who is pursuing one of the most powerful positions in the nation, and he's thinking (or isn't) that he's got everyone snowed and can get away with having his OW around on the campaign trail no less, and nobody will catch on. Amazing.

And Reille fits the profile for the "OW" perfectly in my book. She's a looney toons. smile

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
B
B
I hated his guts long before the A came out.

When we lived in NC, he ran for senate making a bunch of noise about how he was a native North Carolinian. He wasn't; he was born in SC.

He made a bunch of noise about being in touch with the common folk - even though he's a filthy rich trial lawyer who gets $400 haircuts.

And after he was elected in 1998, he spent all his time jetting around angling for a presidential run instead of actually doing his job and representing the people of NC.

He's a worthless waste of skin.

Me - 44
DW - 39
Married 16 years
DS10
DS6
DD4
G
G
I watched about the last 30 minutes of the interview with EE. In fact, I recorded it to play back for FWH because she expressed so eloquently yet simply my reasons for remaining committed to my H and my marriage. She said that she refused to let the A define her, her marriage, or her husband. I especially liked her rationale about not being able to ignore that her FWH had been a wonderful H prior to the affair. I remember being advised by Rightherewaiting that our long and happy marriage and memories of life before the affair would help in our recovery. At the time of that advice, they were simply positive words that I could grasp as a lifeline. Now I truly feel that the pre-affair length and quality of our marriage has been a guiding force in our on-going recovery. While we are worlds apart in lifestyle, I felt a strong kinship to EE because she underscored my own resolve to savor the best and deal with the new reality. BTW, my dedicated, loving FWH also like the interview.

D-Day EA 11/29/08
D-Day PA 12/12/08

M
M
Originally Posted by WhiteRussian
Anyone else watching with tears?

Yes, I cried...my heart hurt for her so much...

I watched the second airing of this here last night...late...(1 am)...I ended up accidentally falling asleep...The part I saw certainly made me think that Elizabeth Edwards is one super, awesome, strong, classy lady...

God Bless her...

Mrs. W

P.S. I fell asleep before getting to see anything that John Edwards said...How did he appear? Repentant? I hope...pray

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

S
S
Mrs. W
i DVRd the show- John Edwards is an a**hole with a capital A. when oprah asked him about if he had feared that his wife would leave him - his answer was flippant - well, of course. and then he said with NO emotion - i love her and i care about her.

it sounded so fake to me. anyone else feel that way??

even before i knew about the affair - i thought that he must be the most selfish man on Earth - to have his terminally ill wife spend her last years campaigning for HIS presidency!!! that is totally abusurd!! he could have delayed his campaign.

EE is an amazing woman - enduring her child dying, terminal cancer, and now her husband's public affair.

since he added more info a year and a half later - by telling her that it was not a ONS - but an ongoing affair- who could believe anything he says???

sf

BS- me 56; FWH-58
3 kids, DS 23,23 DD 14; Married: 34 years
D-Days: 7/11/07;/7/13/07;7/31/07
Unbelievably recovering- but in an up and down way.
M
M
Thanks for letting me know, Sunflower...I so hate to hear that...Elizabeth and their children deserve so much more...

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

G
G
Originally Posted by MrsWondering
[quote=WhiteRussian]

P.S. I fell asleep before getting to see anything that John Edwards said...How did he appear? Repentant? I hope...pray

His responses to a few questions left me cold. When asked how he felt about the book, he said it was very thoughtful. What the heck does that really mean??? When asked about how he felt about her writing it, he responded with some equally bland remark. When Oprah asked him if he ever thought EE would leave him, his response was so slow in coming that it occurred to me that regardless of what he said he really was never threatend by that thought. In response to one of O's questions, he said that he loves EE, but then I was bothered by the QUICK follow-up "I care for her." To me, it seemed almost like a correction to the "I love her." When I commented on that to my H, he said he guessed the important thing is that EE feels that he loves her. Maybe continuing embarrassment makes all our FWH seem that way to others.

D-Day EA 11/29/08
D-Day PA 12/12/08

D
D
The book and interview and showing of her cherished home was all carefully orchestrated by EE so that DWW would NEVER be able to lay her grubby paws on it.

Go EE!

I never had to take the Kobayashi Maru test until now. What do you think of my solution?

My Story

Recovered!
L
L
I watched with my H. I said I was surprised he wanted to watch it. He said he was surprised I wanted to. So we watched it together. Quietly.

EE is so eloquent and she has so much strength.

I was most pained hearing her description of how she can't understand why the OW didn't respect what she, EE, had. That OW felt it okay to try to step in and take what EE had built with her husband -- how she couldn't understand how one woman could to that to another. That's what hit me the hardest. Because she is so right.

Every now and then I wondered what Oprah was feeling asking some of the questions. Having been an OW herself a few decades ago, I wondered if she felt any sting from EE's answers, hearing words that her FOM's BW probably also uttered.

Me (FWW): 45
BH: 46
M: 11/94
PA: 2/08 (4 mos)
Confessed: 10/08
DS10
DD8
C
C
I saw almost all of it, what with having to get my daughter to soccer practice and chasing the dog out of the living room because a bunny was in the yard.

What struck me was that this woman has given a very detailed portrayal of what it means for a husband to have an affair. She lost her son, she was diagnosed with cancer, and here she is talking about her husband having an affair.

I suspect she wrote the book because she felt just plain dirty about participating in covering up the affair. Now she can describe the impact of this on a marriage. Good for her that it doesn't matter if the child is his.

See below for article on other woman expecting to be in Edwards' life. What this reminds me of is that my husband told me that he thought he'd go back to the other woman if I left him. I was upset and worried. My sister appropriately told me, "She would have taken him off your hands."

Now? Now I stay away from him. I can work part time and be with my kids. Today I can take a son and a friend to the amusement park at Mall of America. I am definitely in the camp of "staying together for the sake of my kids."

Cherished

And you thought the John Edwards sex scandal couldn't get seamier.

The ex-senator's former lover - furious at being portrayed as a stalker in his wife's media tour - reportedly is taking revenge and will allow a paternity test for her baby after all.

Rielle Hunter previously refused to allow DNA testing on baby Frances, born in February 2008. Edwards, even after the admitted affair, insisted he wasn't the father.

Her friends said then she hoped they still had a future together and hoped to protect the philandering pol from further ruin.

But on the eve of Elizabeth Edwards' appearance on "The Oprah Winfrey Show" today to plug her new book, the National Enquirer reports that Hunter has changed her mind.

"Now she can see there's never going to be a future with John, and she feels he's lied about his promise to keep Elizabeth from trashing her in the book," an "insider" told the mag.

The Enquirer has had excellent access to Hunter, including tips about where to catch John Edwards sneaking around a hotel in the middle of the night. The exposés drove John Edwards from the 2008 presidential race.

Last year, John Edwards denied he was the father and offered to take a DNA test if Hunter would let him.

A John Edwards spokeswoman did not return messages Wednesday.

D
D
>from trashing her in the book," an "insider" told the mag.

Trashing her in the book?

That's rich.

Her OWN actions made her the trash. EE is just shinin' the spotlight on it.

My Story

Recovered!
B
B
Originally Posted by sunflower55
Mrs. W
i DVRd the show- John Edwards is an a**hole with a capital A. when oprah asked him about if he had feared that his wife would leave him - his answer was flippant - well, of course. and then he said with NO emotion - i love her and i care about her.

it sounded so fake to me. anyone else feel that way??

I'm no fan of JE but I didn't think he was flippant or an ahole when talking to Oprah. I didn't see the whole interview so there may be parts I missed but I did see the part you referred to above. What was he going to say? He kept his answers simple. I would have been put off if he went overboard and tried to lay it on thick with the upteen ways he loves his wife.

I think it's sad that so many people are out there calling her pathetic and weak because she stayed with her H instead of kicking him to the curb. We all know that story. sigh

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
B
B
EE could have called her all sort of things but she didn't. Calling the skank 'pathetic' is nothing. If that's RH idea of trashing her...what a buffoon. rotflmao

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
S
S
Looking 4
i SOOO agree with you! i LOVED that part about her talking about how the OW were "taking" something that was not theirs to take. of course- she also placed a fair share on her H- for being a willing partner- but she said my feelings exactly.

i think that OP are missing empathy in their lives- or they would not dream of hurting their spouse - and a single OW- would not want to hurt the wife.

i also wondered how oprah felt hearing her blast OW- as she was one. Good for EE for not backing down for that!

sf

BS- me 56; FWH-58
P
P
I think he was given the PERFECT opportunity to declare his love for his wife and to apologize in front of millions of witnesses for what he did. He not only betrayed his wife, who is most important, but he betrayed the people who believed in him.

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
B
B
He could have but I thought the show was about EE not JE. Maybe I'm the weird one but I would have seen even that as trying to steal the spotlight and do damage control. If the man is still claiming ignorance to the paternity of the child, his apology wouldn't have meant squat to many. When the paternity test shows him to be the father, would he then apologize AGAIN? crazy Trickle,trickle, trickle. I'd rather he'd just shut up and be wallpaper.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

S
S
PM-
i agree with you! he could have thanked his wife for staying with him -during the campaign and in the marriage. he could have supported her book more.
i walked away feeling that his response was fake- and without feeling.

i was sickened by his lack of empathy for EE- and not declaring his loyalty to her on national TV. Even expressing true regret for his actions would have been better than the bland response he gave.

sf

BS- me 56; FWH-58
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 500 guests, and 58 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation