Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2260986 05/14/09 10:53 AM
Z
Zelmo Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
About 3 months ago, in response to seeing a picture of some blood on the cover of a DVD, my youngest daughter tells me that her mom and pediatrician have told her that her blood type is AB. This was completely out of the blue, unsolicited.
I should preface this by saying that my cheating wife is my second wife and I have kids from the first marriage. Often, my second wife, incredibly insensitive as she is, would make comments wondering if my boys from my first marriage were really mine biologically(my first wife serially cheated). My second wife brought this up frquently(I should also mention she is probably BPD and did not like my boys, although she disguised this well during courtship).
In any case, my daughter is 6 and a half. I had no idea she was aware of blood types or where she might have heard about them if not from her mom or doctor.
Now, I am O negative. Regardless of my wife's blood type, there is no way a child of mine could be AB.
I love my daughter. I would not feel any differently about her no matter what.
But, how could a 6 year old know about AB blood? Should I even consider opening this Pandora's box? IS it significant that my second wife(now X) would raise this issue with my boys(was she projecting?).
I gues my question is twofold. First, would you investigate further? Second, how to go about it without letting my XWW know or running the risk of it getting back to my daughter.
Is it usual that kids are blood typed? She has had no surgeries although she once broke her arm? But, I know I never had my blood typed as a kid.

Zelmo #2261057 05/14/09 12:04 PM
I
I
This is rough...

She is still your daughter in spirit, but you have to pay your XW to keep her.

I guess you could quietly check with a doctor on any pretext. Try swine flu check. Confirm that you will make no further payments for the child. Reclaim past payments if she continues to argue. Make her sign it.

I hate to waste money, but I do appreciate your problem.

But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams -Yeats
Zelmo #2261070 05/14/09 12:11 PM
T
T
Some pediatricians do a blood sample and complete lab work as part of a routine physical. It depends on the doctor.

You have a ton of different threads and no signature. So I have no context in which to respond. I would ask though:
What difference will it make if your DD6 is biologically yours or not?

If it will make no difference then do not pursue this.

Because you are D'd from DD6's bio-mom then you might lose custody/visitation if you pursue this. Consult a lawyer.

If you have legal custody and plan to ask for child support from XWW2 and/or bio-dad then you might want to pursue it. Again, ask a lawyer.

D
D
Pandora's Box indeed. What a horrible situation to find yourself in.

How to investigate further without arousing suspicion? Hair off her pillow case or out of her hair brush. Or get her a new toothbrush.
EDIT: Arrange the test with a lab, they will probably give you swabs for a saliva sample. Swab your daughter while she is asleep.

Waywards suck.

Last edited by dh104; 05/14/09 12:24 PM. Reason: correct typo ans added info
Zelmo #2261079 05/14/09 12:19 PM
I
iam Offline
I
Hopefully you are rid of the second wife?

Zelmo #2261104 05/14/09 12:55 PM
G
G
Originally Posted by Zelmo
I gues my question is twofold. First, would you investigate further?
I don't know.
But I do know that in my state if you do go through the legal channels of proving you are not the genetic father, you will no longer be responsible for any child support, and may be able to win some of what you have given back.

The down side is that you also completley loose your parental rights.

Originally Posted by Zelmo
Second, how to go about it without letting my XWW know or running the risk of it getting back to my daughter.
The answer to this is easy.
http://www.dnacenter.com/paternity/legal-testing.html

Last edited by Gack1; 05/14/09 12:56 PM.

Me 34
WW 30
Abandoned Feb 17th 08, D-Day Aprl 27th 08.
Returned home Jul 7th, OC born 12/30/08
The FOG is clear, and we are in recovery.
Gack1 #2261111 05/14/09 01:04 PM
I
I
http://www.medindia.net/patients/calculators/bloodgroup.asp

Add yours and the mother blood type in this calculator and it will show you the range of blood types the two can produce.

D
D
Hon, some things don't matter.

It doesn't matter to me where my kids came from...only that they're here.

What matters is your wayward's cheating...not the genetics of YOUR child.

I never had to take the Kobayashi Maru test until now. What do you think of my solution?

O'hana means family, and family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten.

My Story

Recovered!
Z
Zelmo Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Thanks, InFlynn, I was a biology major and had tons of genetics classes. I did use the calculator just to ensure, and an O parent can only have A, B, or O kids.
I will check with my lawyer before making a decision. I think I may just let it rest.
But, isn't it strange how my second wife would bring this issue up all the time re my boys from the first marriage? It's like she had this on her mind re our own kids.
And, yes, she is my XW, now.

Zelmo #2261143 05/14/09 01:53 PM
W
W
Zelmo,
Why do you say that your DD could not possibly be AB blood type?

My mother's blood type is A negative. My Father's blood type was O positive. MY blood type is AB positive. There is NO question that my father was actually MY father. If you could see the strong family resemblance you would understand. I look SO much like my paternal grandmother as to be her twin.

Also, my sister's blood type is A positive and my brother's is B positive. Again, the strong family resemblance of my brother to my father's side of the family would make any question of paternity laughable.

I understand your qualms here, but the possibility of you fathering an AB child is not unlikely.

WH2LE

BS(Me)-57
FWH-54
Married-5/26/2001(2nd for me, 1st for him)
DS-30
DD-27
D-Day-05/31/2007
Zelmo #2261169 05/14/09 02:50 PM
G
G
Zelmo,

As an OC I wanted to know about my parentage, and found out. We do owe our children that most fundamental truth about their existence. No one should go through life without that knowledge.

In a sense your ex-wife is lying to your child every day if she is an OC, my adoptive Mom did.

NJ

Gamma #2261174 05/14/09 03:15 PM
T
T
DNA test for all of your kids.

A
A
My mother's blood type is A negative. My Father's blood type was O positive. MY blood type is AB positive.

Sorry, but this is not possible. For a combination of A & O, only A or O offspring are possible. For you to be AB and siblings A and B respectively, your father would have to be B if your mother is truly A; both would have to be heterozygous. Think of it this way:

Mom = AO, Dad = BO
Possible combinations are:
Mom's A + Dad's B = AB child
Mom's O + Dad's B = B child
Mom's A + Dad's O = A child
Mom's O + Dad's O = O child

I think you may be working with faulty info, you would be surprised at the number of people who don't really know their blood type.

For Zelmo - unfortunately what the others have said is true. The likely outcome of doing a DNA test would be to lose visitation rights with your daughter while still having to pay child support. Before you decide on anything, I think a consultation with a lawyer would be in order. Perhaps there is a legal way for you to have access to her health record information, and can determine if the blood type info is indeed correct.
As a guy I understand the fury you must feel if this is indeed true, however, if you truly love this child think about the effect it would have upon her to find this out. It's not the child's fault her mother is a (fill in the blank). But if this does in fact change your perception of the child, then do what you feel you must do. There's no right or wrong on your part in that situation.
I personally think the laws ought to be changed where a man that finds out his exwife lied about paternity should be allowed to continue to have a relationship with the child but not have to pay support. But that's probably never going to happen, the court only cares that someone other than the government pay financially for the child's upbringing, they don't much care about right or wrong.

Edited to add: If a person has the Bombay phenotype (exceedingly rare), they lack the H substance necessary to express the red cell antigens for A and B, and so would type as O during a type and screen while geneticaly being A, B or AB. So, yes, this would be a possibility. Exceptionally rare, but yes possible. So I should not have said it was impossible.

Last edited by americajin; 05/14/09 05:16 PM. Reason: Corrected information

The one constant through all the years has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It's been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and it could be again.
Zelmo #2261269 05/14/09 06:51 PM
B
B
Why don't you just make a visit to your daughter's pediatrican to see if any of this is true. No pediatrician has ever typed either of my child. I don't even think they did when they were born.

Maybe your wife is just being a B and sticking crap in your D's head. Given that you have loved this child for almost 7 yrs, biology only counts if you make it an issue.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
Z
Zelmo Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
I am sure americajin is right. Genetics was one of my favorite subjects in college.
The leaglities seem to vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. As I recall from my family law classes in law school, in our jurisdiction, one is responsible for supporting any child a wife conceives during the marriage, whichis just fine with me. I love my daughter so much, the biology makes no difference to me.
I guess it is just another aspect of this whole mess that confuses me. If it is true, the extent of the betrayl in terms of duration is increased and the amount of lying more than I discovered.
I talke to a friend with some knowledge of the routine practices re blood typing here in our area. SHe tells me that a high percentage of docs do type at birth,when they test for other things, like maybe bilurbin.
And, apparently, I can simply ask to see her records at the pediatrician office, as I am her father.I guess I will check to resolve this. I will do it clandestinely.

Zelmo #2261296 05/14/09 09:10 PM
Z
Zelmo Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
One thing I did not mention is that my wife has lied about many things in her life. We were married for 10 years and the entire time she claimed to have graduated from colleg. It turns out that was not true. Her dad now tells me she quit, sent home fake transcripts for a year. Her frind tells me during this year she was missing, she was having anaffair with a married guy in her college town and living over a bar.

Zelmo #2261299 05/14/09 09:31 PM
I
I
http://www.biology.arizona.edu/Human_Bio/problem_sets/blood_types/btcalcFlashTest.html

This actually shows if you know the child and only one parent to find the blood type of the other parent. Also the two parents to get possible children.

http://www.dnatesting.com/resources/aboBloodTypes.php
This is more detailed!!!

P.S. I hope we haven't opened a pandoras box to hurt people who thought they were full blooded, adopted or other!!!

T
T
Hey Zelmo, why don't you take her in and get her blood type done. She is only 6 - even adults get this stuff mixed up. She could simply be mistaken.

Tabby1 #2261425 05/15/09 06:17 AM
Z
Zelmo Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
I think I will just get a look at her records. Bringing her in would cause all types of questions from her and I don't think she should be aware of any of this. And, she is scared of needles.
Are these DNA tests expensive?

Zelmo #2261431 05/15/09 06:24 AM
D
D
DNA tests are typically done with saliva. You could swab her mouth while she slept.

Gack1 provided this link earlier in this thread. Has cost and procedure info... http://www.dnacenter.com/paternity/legal-testing.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,079 guests, and 45 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation