Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2261331 05/15/09 02:49 AM
B
OP Offline
B
So this morning I was thinking I needed to learn at least one more verse to you are my sunshine as I like to sing it to my new daughter so I looked it up on the comp and this is what I found. It's inescapable!

You Are My Sunshine
My only sunshine.
You make me happy
When skies are grey.
You'll never know, dear,
How much I love you.
Please don't take my sunshine away

The other nite, dear,
As I lay sleeping
I dreamed I held you in my arms.
When I awoke, dear,
I was mistaken
And I hung my head and cried.

You are my sunshine,
My only sunshine.
You make me happy
When skies are grey.
You'll never know, dear,
How much I love you.
Please don't take my sunshine away.

I'll always love you
And make you happy
If you will only say the same
But if you leave me
To love another
You'll regret it all some day;

You are my sunshine,
My only sunshine.
You make me happy
When skies are grey.
You'll never know, dear,
How much I love you.

You told me once, dear
You really loved me
And no one else could come between
But now you've left me
And love another
You have shattered all my dreams;

You are my sunshine,
My only sunshine.
You make me happy
When skies are grey.
You'll never know, dear,
How much I love you.

M
M
I used to sing this song to my daughter 11 years ago when she was a baby as well. I didn't know that last verse or at least it never dawned on me WHAT I was singing. Geez...your right, it's everywhere.

BW(me)
DDay EA 4/05
DDay PA 6/05
In recovery
J
J
Sounds like unequaled love to me. Like how you would feel if your bf/gf dumped you....

But that's just MHO

Me46
FWH42
Married 19 yrs
EA 4/07 - 4/08
(Confirmed by polygraph that it had not gone PA)
Dday1 4/13/08
Dday2 8/8/08
S26
S16
D10
Trying to Recover
I
iam Offline
I
I don't see the adultery.

Where does it say they were married?

D
D
You are my Sunshine is NOT a children's song, though I know my my momma and daddy sung it to me, and I've sung it to all of my younglings and quite a few kiddoes that don't belong to me 'ceptin they are dear to my heart.

“You are My Sunshine” is widely considered the third best-known song in the world, right after “Happy Birthday” and “White Christmas”. It is less well known that the song may have been “stolen” from its actual composer.

The familiar version of the song’s early history is as follows. The Pine Ridge Boys, who did not claim to have written the song, first recorded it in August of 1939. The Rice Brothers Gang recorded it again in September 1939 and Paul Rice did claim to have written the song in 1937. "Where I got the idea for it," he said, "a girl over in South Carolina wrote me this long letter, about 17 pages. And she was talking about I was her sunshine, and I got the idea for the song and put a tune to it."

Late in 1939 Jimmie Davis, a popular country music singer who later became Governor of Louisiana, purchased the song from Rice, the acknowledged composer of the song, for $35. The Rice Brothers’ bass player, Reggie Ward, when interviewed by a newspaper reporter in 1956, reported that “they asked me to sign as a witness the typed document transferring all rights to Davis and Mitchell.” Purchasing songs from other composers and publishing them under one’s own name was a common practice pre-World War II. Davis published the song in 1940 with “ words and music by Jimmie Davis and Charles Mitchell”, who was a long-time collaborator of Davis. Davis recorded the song in February of that year, and that brought it to the attention of country music fans. It placed among the top five country music recordings in 1940 and became a major financial and political success for Davis. He used “You are My Sunshine” as a campaign song, singing it at all his political rallies when he ran for governor, and in 1977 it was designated a Louisiana state song.

Although Louisiana claimed it, the song’s birthplace actually may have been Georgia. Davis and Mitchell generally receive the credit for having written “You are My Sunshine”, but there are people in Georgia who recall hearing the song before 1937. In particular, they recall hearing George Riley Puckett, a well-known country music pioneer from Georgia, performing the song in the early 1930s and also recall that there was a musician who played both with him and Paul Rice: Oliver Hood of LaGrange, Georgia. Oliver Hood was a quiet, self-taught musician and music teacher who wrote many songs, but did not think of them as having commercial potential, much less copyrighting them. Hood’s descendants claim that he wrote the words to “You are My Sunshine” on a brown paper sack that they still possess and that he first performed the song at a VFW convention in LaGrange in 1933. After “You are My Sunshine” rose to the top of the music charts, Hood began copyrighting his songs, but none achieved the popularity and financial success of that song. Until his death in 1959 he considered the song to have been stolen from him. Professor Wayne W. Daniel of Georgia State University, who extensively researched the history of American country music, wrote in Pickin’ on Peachtree: A History of Country Music in Atlanta, Georgia (University of Illinois Press, 1990): "Mr. Hood was a musician and music teacher widely known in the west Georgia area. Surviving family members and musical associates are adamant in their assertion that Mr. Hood wrote the song.” He further states: "So like some of the words ascribed to Shakespeare, the authorship of ‘You Are My Sunshine’ will probably never be decided to everyone’s satisfaction."

Just as controversy didn’t hurt Shakespeare’s popularity, it hasn’t hurt “You are My Sunshine” either. After Bing Crosby and Gene Autry both recorded the song in 1941, its place was ensured as part of the traditional country music and jazz repertoire. Since then, it has been recorded by blues, soul and rock ‘n roll artists as well, and featured in numerous films, television and radio shows and commercials. It even has served as the anthem for a number of sports teams.

I never had to take the Kobayashi Maru test until now. What do you think of my solution?

O'hana means family, and family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten.

My Story

Recovered!
N
N
I didn't get adultery out of it either. No reason it couldn't have just been a breakup, and now she's with somebody else.

It didn't even have to be a breakup - nowhere in there does it say he ever actually held her in his arms.

I loved it best the way my momma sung'd it to me:

The other night dear, as I lay sleeping,
I dreamed I held you in my arms,
When I awoke dear, I was mistaken,
It was only a pig from the barn!

grin

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
~ English proverb

Neak's Story
D
D
The oldest versions I've heard are very backwoods and sweet...almost of wishing for the love.

And Neak, I think we should keep your momma. She's hi-lar-eee-ous!

I never had to take the Kobayashi Maru test until now. What do you think of my solution?

My Story

Recovered!
B
OP Offline
B
Jeez guys really? This was just something that I thought was kinda of interesting. I had only heard in a nursery setting so thanks DLD for the history lesson.

I am sorry that there isn't a verse that says something about taking vows, but when someone tells you they love you then leave you to love another sounds like cheat'in to me (but if you want to argue semantics it does says to love another not for another). IMHO it is not really unrequited when they say they love you back.

But anyway like I said I thought it would be fun to share.

D
D
I'd like to thank BOB for putting the earwig in and twisting it really tightly so I can't get it out! ;-)

I hope my office mates like my singing and I don't rock anyone to sleep!

Bob - do you sing all the verses? I only knew the first few for the longest time....I can't say the last ones really blew my skirt up when I heard them - it's on the O'Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack...along with A LOT of music that is sweet to rock and sing to a little.

I did know it was backwoods music instead of children's - but only because some of my kin ARE a bit backwoods and that's the music I heard as a little. The writer of the song passed on a few years ago and that's when I read about the history of it.

My Story

Recovered!
B
OP Offline
B
DLD- No I just read them this morning, up until now I have just been making up words about my daughter that go to the tune. I might just continue to do so. It is a sweet melody though I am sure you co-workers won't mind. Could make for a nice after lunch nappy! I will have to look up the music for the movie, I never actually saw it but I do like blue grass/ back woody types of music. It is very soothing. Thanks for the tip!

D
D
> I have just been making up words about my daughter that go to the tune.

I think that's the best way to sing any music!

My Story

Recovered!
B
B
Originally Posted by Neak
I loved it best the way my momma sung'd it to me:

The other night dear, as I lay sleeping,
I dreamed I held you in my arms,
When I awoke dear, I was mistaken,
It was only a pig from the barn!

grin

rotflmao

I don't see the adultery either. Maybe a breakup or just sad that the romantic longing of one isn't reciproctaed.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
T
T
For those that don't see adultry. True the lyrics do not address the marital state.

But what short memories some have. Then your saying it's not cheating if not married? So it's no problem when a GF cheats on a BF. And, ok for engaged people to cheat before there married.

B
B
It would be cheating if it was a BF/GF thing but it wouldn't be adultery. Never said cheating was okay but it still isn't adultery if there's no marriage.

And no one else could come between

This is about the only line that alludes to any sort of poosible cheating. If the one who left now loves another, it's not clear when this happens.

It could also be that the one crying over his lost love is fogged out and doesn't want to accept that their relationship was over before there was any other so they blame the OP. It could happen despite all the crazy fog babble we have all heard that sends our redflag up.

Who knows...it could be seen a variety of ways.

Last edited by black_raven; 05/15/09 08:04 AM. Reason: fix quote

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
T
T
black raven

A rose by any other name is a rose.

You say affair, who say's cheating, they say adultry, she said infidelity.

It was a promise to be exclusive.

By your definition people living together, have a kid, so not married they can bring in third parties and it's ok.

B
B
Originally Posted by TheRoad
By your definition people living together, have a kid, so not married they can bring in third parties and it's ok.

Ummmm...no. I don't think it's ok nor said so but they aren't married either. People can say they are committed all they want but if you aren't married it's not adultery. Cheating is still immoral and disgusting but it isn't adultery. It's no different than a renter pretending to be a buyer.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

B
OP Offline
B
So, maybe to get it right I should change my thread title to cheating in what I thought was a nursery song.

N
N
Lol BOB!

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
~ English proverb

Neak's Story

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (NewEveryDay), 1,357 guests, and 77 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation