Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
R
rprynne Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by MrWondering
My WW consistently denies she has feelings for OM, but basically doesn't want to be "mean" to him.

Mr. W, you'd have to know my WW to understand this. This is not in defense of her actions, but it is the way she is. I have learned that my WW talking, helping, doing something for, or calling back is no indication of her feelings for them.

Will she EVER get to that point or will he forever remain in the living in the backwoods of her mind as a significant person in her remaining life?

Yes. But, I have concerns that because of the way the A started, the type of person OM is, and the above that we will never be able to make our M "safe". That weighs on my decisions about things.

Me 43 BH
MT 43 WW
Married 20 years, No Kids, 2 Difficult Cats
D-day July, 2005
4.5 False Recoveries
Me - recovered
The M - recovered
R
rprynne Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Pepperband
Oh, I get it.
The Scarlet Letter

Yeah, you got it.

Me 43 BH
MT 43 WW
D-day July, 2005
4.5 False Recoveries
Me - recovered
The M - recovered
R
rprynne Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by karmasrose
B_r, don't you know this is opposite land?

Contact with OP is fine! Dandy! Perfectly normal! They just have to put up with it or they might LOSE their precious (demented) WS!

puke

I don't think contact is fine. I think the point that 2long was making is sometimes WS don't go NC right away, or they do, but later resume contact.

Me 43 BH
MT 43 WW
D-day July, 2005
4.5 False Recoveries
Me - recovered
The M - recovered
R
rprynne Offline OP
OP Offline
R
During this 7 months was she in contact?

No.

Me 43 BH
MT 43 WW
D-day July, 2005
4.5 False Recoveries
Me - recovered
The M - recovered
rprynne #2276467 11/19/09 03:58 PM
M
M
My WW consistently denies she has feelings for OM, but basically doesn't want to be "mean" to him.

Mr. W, you'd have to know my WW to understand this. This is not in defense of her actions, but it is the way she is. I have learned that my WW talking, helping, doing something for, or calling back is no indication of her feelings for them.

Ah, but it is a clear indication of her LACK of feelings for you. Either that or you are merely an obstacle to her sainthood. She is NOT a nice person right now. She hasn't been for 5 years now. She CAN change...but she has CHOOSEN not to.

Will she EVER get to that point or will he forever remain in the living in the backwoods of her mind as a significant person in her remaining life?

Yes. But, I have concerns that because of the way the A started, the type of person OM is, and the above that we will never be able to make our M "safe". That weighs on my decisions about things.

You've been "weighing" this all for an aweful long time...2long even [haha]. Unlike ole 2long (whom I believe just suffered/endured another breach of no contact in September or so of this year ... 7 years after d-day)...you don't have NEAR the enmeshment to bear this. You don't have to settle for mediocrity. You've got a relatively short marriage, no kids, etc. In fact, remember the poster Heartsore? He's divorced, happily remarried and, I think, expecting a child with his new wife soon all WITHIN these last five years you've been here. At this point, an OK marriage just isn't worth it. Waiting any longer isn't worth it...the risk of resentment is just too much. I think having kids with your wife is likely too risky as well as marriage gets HARDER at that point and she can't even handle it now when it's just the two of you. I so want you to be a success story here. Mortarman took YEARS to recover his marriage too, I haven't gotten an update lately) but last I heard he's doing well (but he also had 3 kids with his WW so a lot more was at stake). If you want to give her one last chance...that's your perogative, but make it/require it to be one darn good effort on her part. RAISE THE BAR...don't lower it so she can merely begrudgingly skip over it. YOU MATTER.

I wanted to add...of course, divorce doesn't guarantee happiness either. But at some point you've got to determine that the likihood is BETTER taking that route. She doesn't seem to REALLY care about you and she's demonstrated that time and time again. People CAN change...but only THEY can do it...she should be strongly, dare I say, AGGRESSIVELY encouraged to head down the "change" path post haste.

FBH(me)-51 FWW-49 (MrsWondering)
DD19 DS 22 Dday-2005-Recovered

"agree to disagree" = Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
Dealan-de #2276476 11/19/09 04:08 PM
R
rprynne Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Dealan-de
>that I should do that when I felt like it.

And there it is.

When YOU feel like it, Rprynne...

Now the question is, what do you feel like doing?

Maybe it's time for a personal inventory and goal setting for yourself.

Working on it.

Me 43 BH
MT 43 WW
D-day July, 2005
4.5 False Recoveries
Me - recovered
The M - recovered
R
rprynne Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Yes, please. We would like to help you but we need to know what you feel like doing, what you PLAN to do.

Well, what I feel like doing is giving her one more chance. But to be blunt, I'm not so sure that is the right thing to do.

I'm at a total loss as to what a plan for giving her one more chance looks like. Requiring the MB weekend is probably a good start.

She got rid of the cell phone. She sent a NC letter to OM. Told him if he did contact her again she would seek a restraining order. She copied me on e-mails to the people she's consulting for asking the IT department to block OM's e-mail address and telling the secrataries not to give out her number to OM (or anyone) and not to connect his calls. The consulting job is over this week. I verified the OM's address, so it should have gotten to him.

Aside from that, I'm not sure what else to require at this time. Other than your basic concepts.

Me 43 BH
MT 43 WW
D-day July, 2005
4.5 False Recoveries
Me - recovered
The M - recovered
R
rprynne Offline OP
OP Offline
R
In understand your points MrW

Me 43 BH
MT 43 WW
D-day July, 2005
4.5 False Recoveries
Me - recovered
The M - recovered
rprynne #2276495 11/19/09 04:41 PM
R
rprynne Offline OP
OP Offline
R
All the discussion aside, my gut just doesn't feel right about any of this.

Me 43 BH
MT 43 WW
D-day July, 2005
4.5 False Recoveries
Me - recovered
The M - recovered
rprynne #2276531 11/19/09 05:51 PM
P
P
Originally Posted by rprynne

What is WW's demeanor towards you at this time?

rprynne #2276541 11/19/09 06:14 PM
M
M

What are you sensing?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

rprynne #2276560 11/19/09 07:55 PM
B
B

Any of what? B, D or R? dontknow

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
R
rprynne Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Pepperband

What is WW's demeanor towards you at this time?

Apologetic and remorseful.

Me 43 BH
MT 43 WW
D-day July, 2005
4.5 False Recoveries
Me - recovered
The M - recovered
Dealan-de #2276575 11/19/09 08:36 PM
J
J
Folks,

I will say that I know 2Long personally. We have had many discussions over the years about many things including the status of his marriage. I have read his comments and frankly he is NOT advocating anything but what Kimmy quoted. You do what you need to do "when you feel like it." Read the quote below.
Originally Posted by Dealan-de
>that I should do that when I felt like it.

And there it is.

When YOU feel like it, Rprynne...

Now the question is, what do you feel like doing?

Maybe it's time for a personal inventory and goal setting for yourself.

2Long is in fact espousing just that and telling him it is not bad to take his time to make this decision. 2Long did not say he was happy with his marriage, he said he was happy with his life on the whole. He has never claimed he found what has gone on to his liking, but rather the consequences of ending were even less to his liking and why hurry if there is no one on the horizon.

Mel, I know you don't care for 2Long, but you need to actually listen to the man, he is NOT against MB or the plans here. He was simply explaining his choices based on advice given to him and RP by one of the very best marriage counselors in the country, Steve Harley. So you can argue dogma all you want, but you cannot argue away the advice given by Steve Harley.

Now if you want to argue with me, have a nice day. I am a strong believer in the MB approach and have been here a long time, learning many things. I am a reasonably bright man, and I still find I learn new things on this site even now. Are you learning anything new? I hope so.

God Bless,

JL

R
rprynne Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by MelodyLane

What are you sensing?

That deep down her goal is to convince me to decide we are just not compatible. Not so she can see OM or anything like that, but just so I'll divorce her and leave the M feeling like we tried.

The comments about what she posted here make me feel that way. She never mentioned anything like that to me. She's been told by any and everyone that she's got to bring that stuff up. So much so, that it is impossible to conclude that she doesn't get that.

Me 43 BH
MT 43 WW
D-day July, 2005
4.5 False Recoveries
Me - recovered
The M - recovered
R
rprynne Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by black_raven

Any of what? B, D or R? dontknow

The latest developments with my WW.

Me 43 BH
MT 43 WW
D-day July, 2005
4.5 False Recoveries
Me - recovered
The M - recovered
rprynne #2276587 11/19/09 09:07 PM
C
C
I haven't read this thread in it's entirety, but what I have read leads me to believe that she is still actively in A with the OM. Ans has convinced herself that you and she are just not "compatible" and THAT'S the reason the M won't ever work- not the A with the OM.....

Which is backwards logic. Are you sure she isn't currently seeing the OM behind your back?

cate1982 #2276595 11/19/09 09:23 PM
R
rprynne Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by cate1982
I haven't read this thread in it's entirety, but what I have read leads me to believe that she is still actively in A with the OM. Ans has convinced herself that you and she are just not "compatible" and THAT'S the reason the M won't ever work- not the A with the OM.....

Which is backwards logic. Are you sure she isn't currently seeing the OM behind your back?

Well, you can never be 100% sure of anything. But yeah, I'm pretty sure this is not a continuous thing. I won't say that I've caught everything since d-day, but one thing I have learned in all of this is that unless you put the blinders on, they can't keep it secret for long.

Me 43 BH
MT 43 WW
D-day July, 2005
4.5 False Recoveries
Me - recovered
The M - recovered
M
M
Originally Posted by Just Learning
2Long is in fact espousing just that and telling him it is not bad to take his time to make this decision. 2Long did not say he was happy with his marriage, he said he was happy with his life on the whole. He has never claimed he found what has gone on to his liking, but rather the consequences of ending were even less to his liking and why hurry if there is no one on the horizon.

JL, with all due respect, the way 2Long chooses to live his life is his own business, but when it comes to encouraging others along his path of inaction, of defending the status quo year after year, its very important for the receiver of that advice to understand his frame of mind.

If he makes no apologies for tolerating the true fact that his WW is still in touch with her OM 7 years after D-Day and that his idea of recovery is living in a state of "withdrawal" then others should know that. [his explanation is this is just a "long recovery" because this was a LTA - of course long means never when contact never ends because recovery never starts] I see no reason why he would take umbrage at this being pointed out unless he is embarrassed by the truth. If there is nothing wrong with living like that, as he says there is NOT, then there is no reason to have a melt down when it is pointed out.

I have no idea what SH told 2Long 2 years ago when he counseled with him a few times; that is just hearsay, but I know very well what Dr. Harley, the best marriage counselor in the US, the founder of Marriage Builders, and the trainer of Steve Harley, does say. I know what his idea of a good marriage is and I know he doesn't believe it can be found in enabling a wayward spouse for years on end. I don't believe for a second that this is Steve's idea of "recovery" either.

Nor do I think that is the solution rprynne seeks given his expression of sorrow and disappointment.

I am a reasonably bright man, and I still find I learn new things on this site even now. Are you learning anything new? I hope so.

Yes, I do. And that is why I have a great marriage today. The proof is in the pudding. I learn more and more each year I am on this board. Have you ever asked 2Long this question? Has he learned anything new here?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

rprynne #2276603 11/19/09 09:52 PM
M
M
The comments about what she posted here make me feel that way. She never mentioned anything like that to me. She's been told by any and everyone that she's got to bring that stuff up. So much so, that it is impossible to conclude that she doesn't get that.

Are you saying that she doesn't want to be married and just doesn't want to say it? Is she posting here?

rprynne, the question I would ask is if YOU want to remain married? What do you want to do with your life? Will she openly and honestly commit to repairing the marriage? Is she doing enough to keep you in the marriage?

Did you check out the article I linked earlier about When to Call it Quits?

The concept of unconditional love in marriage usually refers to a spouse�s lifelong commitment to care for the other spouse regardless of what the other spouse does. I�m in favor of a lifelong commitment to care regardless of unfavorable circumstances (health problems, financial setbacks, and other factors outside a couple�s control that can negatively impact a marriage). But I�m opposed to a lifelong commitment to care for a spouse when that spouse makes marriage-wrecking choices. It tends to give such people unrealistic expectations of entitlement�that they should be cared for, regardless of their willingness to care in return. Neglect and abuse characterize many marriages based on unconditional love.
When to Call it Quits

Exposure 101

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 676 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation